Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wont stop pee'ing in the house... at my wits end!

Options
  • 03-03-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

So as the subject says dong wont stop peeing! My missus, under protest got a miniture yorkshire terrier and he's just gone 1 now.

We have been forever trying to house train the little sh*t but he's just too retarded to kop on!

I ALWAYS leave him out in the mornings and throughout the day, but he still constantly pisses in the house. I'm really at the end of my tether. For me there the only option is give him away! I can't take it no more... We have a 10month baby crawling around the house and I don't have eye's in the back of my head, so if he puts his hand it his pee and then his mouth (which babies do!) he could get very sick!
    I'm sick of this dog pee'ing everwhere, I'm sick of cleaning it up and I'm sick of worrying about my baby getting sick from it!

I need help to figure out what to do with him :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

HA very same problem here. Mini Yorkie also. I had him house trained would pee and poo outside and if he really needed to go and no one was around to leave him out he'd do it on paper. BUT now in house temporarily with 3 other yorkies one being a male and they have a competition on who can pee on the most things. Its SO frustrating. No matter how many times you leave them out they'll do it. I wonder thats 3 male dogs is it just something in common they have? I also have an 18month old whos now walking but was crawling and its VERY hard to keep constant eye on them.

Would be very interested in what others will say, but tbh you'll prob get replies like leave him out more etc............ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Did you toilet train him yourself? Leave a newspaper on the floor so he knows where to do his business.

Could you hold it in from morning to evening?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Did you toilet train him yourself? Leave a newspaper on the floor so he knows where to do his business.

Could you hold it in from morning to evening?

Who is that aimed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

DanGlee wrote: »
    So as the subject says dong wont stop peeing! My missus, under protest got a miniture yorkshire terrier and he's just gone 1 now.

We have been forever trying to house train the little sh*t but he's just too retarded to kop on!

I ALWAYS leave him out in the mornings and throughout the day, but he still constantly pisses in the house. I'm really at the end of my tether. For me there the only option is give him away! I can't take it no more... We have a 10month baby crawling around the house and I don't have eye's in the back of my head, so if he puts his hand it his pee and then his mouth (which babies do!) he could get very sick!
    I'm sick of this dog pee'ing everwhere, I'm sick of cleaning it up and I'm sick of worrying about my baby getting sick from it!

I need help to figure out what to do with him :mad:

I doubt that's the problem somehow!

What method did you use to house train him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hate to brake it to you, but unless there is a medical reason why the little dog can't hold its water, then it's you who's too retarded to do the training properly.

Do a search on the forum, correct toilet training has been the subject of many a thread
    Eemia wrote: »
    you'll prob get replies like leave him out more etc............ :rolleyes:

yepp, indeed ...leave them out more, leave them out when they need to go (learn to read the signs), watch them while they're out, praise when they're doing what they are supposed to and don't leave them in again until they're all empty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Who is that aimed at?

The OP.

For your situation, I assume you also lay paper out? And send the dogs to bed when they pee in the wrong place? When you train them as puppies, they don't forget the paper is a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Is your dog neutered? And are the pees full on puddles or dribbles? If this is the case, he could be marking (which can be a nightmare!) and this can be very difficult to stop once they get into the habit, even with intensive toilet training. Neutering would help with this (if he is marking) so it's always an option. It removes the hormone drive to mark, but you will still need to do some training to get rid of it completely. If it's outright peeing, I would go back to puppy methods of training (leaving him out every hour with loads of praise when he goes, a firm "no" and putting him out when he goes inside, leaving paper around for him to go on when you are not around and restricting his movements - either with a pen or leaving him in one room - while you are out)

Are you cleaning it up properly? (I'm not insulting your hygiene standards of cleaning ability here!) You need to eliminate all traces of the pee or else he will be able to smell it and go right back to the same place and pee there again. Most large pet stores sell an enzyme cleaner specifically designed to get rid of all traced of urine in the carpet etc. You could also use a dilute solution of biological washing powder and warm water, and then a mild disinfectant afterwards (not ammonia based bleach - this will encourage him more).

peasant wrote: »
    yepp, indeed ...leave them out more, leave them out when they need to go (learn to read the signs), watch them while they're out, praise when they're doing what they are supposed to and don't leave them in again until they're all empty :D

;) Lol... I had said dog was trained before he was put in with 3 others and i think lorebringer hit the nail on the head with his post. The two boys have to be marking spots cause its literally only dribbles not proper pee. Can't answer for OP but i think his situation is different to mine! Thanks though :P
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    The OP.

For your situation, I assume you also lay paper out? And send the dogs to bed when they pee in the wrong place? When you train them as puppies, they don't forget the paper is a toilet.

Yep paper is there for when we aren't around for 2-3hours to leave them out and they'll use it AND dribble pee on furniture to mark it :rolleyes: Moving out again so hopefully no competition and one on one 'house training' will correct my problem again.
    Is your dog neutered? And are the pees full on puddles or dribbles? If this is the case, he could be marking (which can be a nightmare!) and this can be very difficult to stop once they get into the habit

Most large pet stores sell an enzyme cleaner specifically designed to get rid of all traced of urine in the carpet etc.

Thanks for your post. My fella isn't neutered anyways might look into getting it done cause no need for him to have them LOL not gonna breed from him! Its clearing marking if its only dribbles.

Whats that stuff called from the pet shops?! I think using floor cleaner etc is obv not cutting it anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

"Pet off" in pet stop is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What an ignorant thing to say, Yorkies are extremely intelligent I have two and they are great dogs.

One, Tilly, we had from a puppy and it took ages to train her but that was our fault not hers, we werent consistant which is not the dogs fault.

We got the second one, Ozzie, from a pound 2 weeks ago, he is 4. From the second he got into the house he was pee'n, mainly marking but full pee's as well. Its only been two weeks and he is so much better.

When we say to Tilly, "are you going out" she will run to the back door and wait to be let out, Ozzie is learning what this means as well so as long as you say the same thing all the time they will learn what it means.

Obviously it takes time and patience. Dont blame the dog, it is up to you to train him they arent going to guess what you want of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I use "Stain and Odor Remover" by Johnsons (not the baby products brand! :p) but most pet stores will stock something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

Whats that stuff called from the pet shops?! I think using floor cleaner etc is obv not cutting it anymore...

Eemia don't use anything with ammonia in it, apparently the dog then want to pee on that area, I think its because they think another dog has been there.

We found Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover very good, our dog didn't like it and avoided area after we put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One thing you need to understand about Dog psychology is that they won't piss where they sleep. Not unless they absolutely have no other choice. They are taught from a young age by the mother that they do not go to the toilet inside the "den".

So you need to define what the "den" is for your dog.

We initially had trouble with our dog in this regard for a couple of reasons:

1. She had to be confined to the kitchen because she had a series of operations and oozing "things" when we first got her
    2. We have no garden, so to take a pee, we have to take her outside.

So she never peed in the kitchen, but when we started letting her out of the kitchen, she was peeing on the carpet. This is because the new areas weren't her "den", the kitchen was. So as a result, she gets taken out every 2 - 3 hours (we know from experience that this is roughly her "incubation" time :D) and we have slowly given her access to all parts of the house, so she doesn't pee on the carpet anymore. However, if we've forgotten to take her out and there's something unfamiliar on the floor, she may pee on that because it's not part of her "den".

So if you keep your dog confined to a certain part of the house and you let them into unfamiliar parts of the house, don't be surprised if they piss on the carpet. The dog doesn't understand the concept of "don't pee in the house", he/she only understands, "don't pee in your den". If you want to start introducing your dog to other parts of the house, then you take them out to the toilet first, let them into the "new" room, ideally let them get comfortable in it (with you!) for an hour or so, then take them out again. Then the next day do the same thing, but leave the door open so the dog can roam in and out and starts to understand that this is an extension of their den. Very quickly they'll get the message and they won't pee in that room.

If there are parts of the house that you absolutely don't want your dog to have access to, then you need to be consistent and not give them access, and don't be surprised if they pee in there when you let them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Who is that aimed at?
    answer is quiet obvious, ha, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

happypuppy wrote: »
    We found Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover very good, our dog didn't like it and avoided area after we put it on.

Where did you get this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try a body belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

seamus wrote: »
    One thing you need to understand about Dog psychology is that they won't piss where they sleep. Not unless they absolutely have no other choice. They are taught from a young age by the mother that they do not go to the toilet inside the "den".

So you need to define what the "den" is for your dog.

We initially had trouble with our dog in this regard for a couple of reasons:

1. She had to be confined to the kitchen because she had a series of operations and oozing "things" when we first got her
    2. We have no garden, so to take a pee, we have to take her outside.

So she never peed in the kitchen, but when we started letting her out of the kitchen, she was peeing on the carpet. This is because the new areas weren't her "den", the kitchen was. So as a result, she gets taken out every 2 - 3 hours (we know from experience that this is roughly her "incubation" time :D) and we have slowly given her access to all parts of the house, so she doesn't pee on the carpet anymore. However, if we've forgotten to take her out and there's something unfamiliar on the floor, she may pee on that because it's not part of her "den".

So if you keep your dog confined to a certain part of the house and you let them into unfamiliar parts of the house, don't be surprised if they piss on the carpet. The dog doesn't understand the concept of "don't pee in the house", he/she only understands, "don't pee in your den". If you want to start introducing your dog to other parts of the house, then you take them out to the toilet first, let them into the "new" room, ideally let them get comfortable in it (with you!) for an hour or so, then take them out again. Then the next day do the same thing, but leave the door open so the dog can roam in and out and starts to understand that this is an extension of their den. Very quickly they'll get the message and they won't pee in that room.

If there are parts of the house that you absolutely don't want your dog to have access to, then you need to be consistent and not give them access, and don't be surprised if they pee in there when you let them in.

This has confirmed that my young Daisy doesn't possess a brain cell. The only place she would pee and poo was in the room where she slept. Eventually had to close off the room to her. She seems to have got better since she turned 3 (only took 2 years) and is now allowed back into the bedroom but there are set times when she's sent out to the garden to toilet every day and she's finally getting better at asking to go at times which is great.

What seemed to make the breakthrough is that I stopped shouting at her when I found evidence of misdeeds (I felt like a broken woman at that stage and couldn't raise the energy to shout) and just told her in a calm voice that she was a bold girl as I cleaned and mopped the messes up. I think she just got scared when I shouted but actually listened when I was calm about her choice of toilet

Advertisement