Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing cars in the housing estates

• 03-03-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

A neighbour of mine washes his car regularly in our housing estate. Big hose, soapy water all results in the road being covered in dirty water where people walk, children play and so on.
    I wondering is it legal to wash your car like this on a public road in front of people's houses? Isn't that water toxic or contains harmful chemicals?

What can I do to stop him from washing his car in front of my house. (He won't listen to my requests)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sounds like a big overreaction to soapy water to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

ah please!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

I am not overreacting.
    Besides, car washes were built for a reason. So they have proper drainage.
    The reason I am asking, is because I am from abroad, and if the police catches you doing that in my country, you'll get a nice big fine.
    So, I am wondering is it the same here, or is it perfectly legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

ok well you could check this with the local city or county council depending where you live as they own the road outside your house afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Ther are no bye laws against it in any county I know of except during water shortage periods.
    As far as I know its not against any law or a more relevant statement would be any law that is enforced that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

php-fox wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine washes his car regularly in our housing estate. Big hose, soapy water all results in the road being covered in dirty water where people walk, children play and so on.
    I wondering is it legal to wash your car like this on a public road in front of people's houses? Isn't that water toxic or contains harmful chemicals?

What can I do to stop him from washing his car in front of my house. (He won't listen to my requests)

Thanks.

You dont own the road outside your property so legally yes your neighbour can wash his car there.

Its not a criminal offence in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You probably need to chill out a little bit, all is coming off the car would usually be washing up liquid and a bit of muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

In which country does this land you a fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

In which country does this land you a fine?

My understanding is it's a rule in parts of Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When in Rome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

People are getting stranger by the day.

Next there will be something about a bird $hit on my car, can it be put down???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

I am not overreacting.
    Besides, car washes were built for a reason. So they have proper drainage.
    The reason I am asking, is because I am from abroad, and if the police catches you doing that in my country, you'll get a nice big fine.
    So, I am wondering is it the same here, or is it perfectly legal?

That """ From my country attitude" is YOUR problem right there
    if you dont like it move.. simple.. and before you start on me i have only lived in Ireland for 19 months myself but you DONT come to another country and start comparisons, why bother coming here?
    its not illegal, but you lack of a life and too much interest in your neighbours business could be :rolleyes:
    thanks for making me laugh though!! your pettyness has made my day cheers :)
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

oh just as a after thought.. define ""my country"" i bet you dont actually "" own "" that either LMFAO:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

legatti wrote: »
    if you dont like it move

This is a very ugly attitude by the way. Its a common irish saying now that should never be said.
    Regardless how much of an overreaction the OP is, this saying is very typical of the "ah sure it will be grand" attitude that has the country in bits.
    By all means hassle the OP about how silly it is to complain about washing cars in the driveway is, but dont start this "If you dont like it **** off" crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

legatti wrote: »
    That """ From my country attitude" is YOUR problem right there if you dont like it move.. simple.. and before you start on me i have only lived in Ireland for 19 months myself but you DONT come to another country and start comparisons, why bother coming here?

I don't agree with legatti telling someone to "move" over something so petty. Although i think he might be thinking along the lines fo respecting a countries culture and traditions which might allow a more broad comment like the one legatti is making. However this thread has little to do with customs and traditions. It is more to do with saftey and hygiene and poor practices.

I agree with the Op: Washing a car in say an esate car park where children play might be an issue. There are many places you can wash a car with proper drainage that remove these chemical and toxins leaving parking areas cleaner and safer.

There are so many toxins and chemical that are released during a car wash and to do this soley in a parking areas means that either dirty cars sit parked and are only clean by virtue of spoiling the roadside and car park. It seems like a vicious circle.

I hae no problem with people waxing polishing and other work on their car but heavy scrubbing does release a huge amount of sludge. If someone dumped a bucket of this concentrated you would freak out. This sludge is dangerous and very toxic.

Many people might not know this but cats are very sensitive to toxins and many will make a cat very ill if not kill them. It's just not a healthy practice. The goverment could easily work with our garages to provide cheaper cleaning services which would encourage people to wash their cars at garages providing additional income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Ah pirelli, your posts are always good for a laugh!

Now, I'm off to wash my car.....:eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pirelli wrote: »
    I don't agree with legatti telling someone to "move" over something so petty. Although i think he might be thinking along the lines fo respecting a countries culture and traditions which might allow a more broad comment like the one legatti is making. However this thread has little to do with customs and traditions. It is more to do with saftey and hygiene and poor practices.

I agree with the Op: Washing a car in say an esate car park where children play might be an issue. There are many places you can wash a car with proper drainage that remove these chemical and toxins leaving parking areas cleaner and safer.

There are so many toxins and chemical that are released during a car wash and to do this soley in a parking areas means that either dirty cars sit parked and are only clean by virtue of spoiling the roadside and car park. It seems like a vicious circle.

I hae no problem with people waxing polishing and other work on their car but heavy scrubbing does release a huge amount of sludge. If someone dumped a bucket of this concentrated you would freak out. This sludge is dangerous and very toxic.

When washing a car you are washing all the ROAD dirt off it. The only thing added to this is a detergent and water. Are you saying that the road in a housing estate with cars driving on it has different dirt then a road outside a housing estate? Or that the water people are using, which they get from their tap, is dirty?

Many people might not know this but cats are very sensitive to toxins and many will make a cat very ill if not kill them. It's just not a healthy practice. The goverment could easily work with our garages to provide cheaper cleaning services which would encourage people to wash their cars at garages providing additional income.

Why should perfectly healthy people be "encouraged" to support garages? There are a few places that already provide car washing facilities and they are getting use, but mainly from people who can't get a hose from where they live to where they want to wash their car.

Next you'll want people to stop cooking at home to help restaurants as the smells from other peoples cooking sickens you or your cat.

Del2005 wrote: »
    When washing a car you are washing all the ROAD dirt off it. The only thing added to this is a detergent and water. Are you saying that the road in a housing estate with cars driving on it has different dirt then a road outside a housing estate? Or that the water people are using, which they get from their tap, is dirty?

Am I saying that tap water is dirty...? Where did I say that.

I am not saying the road in a housing estate has different dirt on it then road outside a housing estate.

Are you standing on your head eating "half price" headshop gear when your reading this?

As this is a legal forum lets look at the legality of washing your car.

Heavy scrubbing and removal of sludge from under the car wheel rims and heavy scrubbing under the engine and under the under side of the car will produce a sludge.

This sludge contains the following toxins all controlled under the hazourdous waste act:

Lead and other lead based chemicals
    Gear box Oil
    Engine Oil
    Asbestos
    alkaline manganese
    cadmium
    petroleum
    heavy metal
    monomethyl-dibromo-diphenyl methane
    Hydraulic oils
    anti freeze

This is just a small list of what is in that sludge. It is collected from the waste from other vehicles and machiney equipment on roads in wet and dry conditions and stored throughout the underside of the car in mounds of hardened sludge.

It would seem that if i owned a carpark of a very large apartment complex and a drainage system was my reponsibility then i would be violating the hazourdous waste act should i encouraged people during the summer to wash - heavy scrubbing- of their cars.

Collectively from all the waste of people scrubbing cars the effluent of the above contaniments would be more than likely exceed the legal limit allowed to enter and collect in the drainage system. In fact some of the above waste is illegal period to be allowed run in an open drainage system no matter how tiny a quantity.

It is obviously ok to give your car a light exterior wash but the removal of hard packed sludge and dirt should be done under the hazardous waste act and that is why garages should provide such a service. I am sure that is why many countries regulate the hazardous effluent from vehicles.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

legatti banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Maximilian wrote: »
    legatti banned for a week.
    That will give him plenty of time to really scrub all that dangerous muck off his car and leave it on the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...heavy scrubbing under the engine and under the under side of the car will produce a sludge.

Who is taking about that? Even if someone did that theres no way they'd do it on a regular basis, even if they did, the car would hardly be dirty because it was washed so often.
    ...It is obviously ok to give your car a light exterior wash ...

How do you know that isn't what the OP is talking about?

• Advertisement

...Many people might not know this but cats are very sensitive to toxins and many will make a cat very ill if not kill them. It's just not a healthy practice. The goverment could easily work with our garages to provide cheaper cleaning services which would encourage people to wash their cars at garages providing additional income.

Cat waste is the great risk. Ban them instead.

time lord wrote: »
    Ther are no bye laws against it in any county I know of except during water shortage periods.
    As far as I know its not against any law or a more relevant statement would be any law that is enforced that is.

What are the rules/laws in a water shortage. I have no idea if we are still in one, I've heard nothing about it for a month or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

car washes were built for a reason
    Yes.... to make easy money from lazy people by providing a crap service with worn brushes and dodgy chemicals to aid the destruction of the vehicle's finish.

I'll continue to wash my car myself - thank you!

Apparently people can be alergic to the chemicals used in the car washes.

BostonB wrote: »
    Who is taking about that? Even if someone did that theres no way they'd do it on a regular basis, even if they did, the car would hardly be dirty because it was washed so often.

How do you know that isn't what the OP is talking about?

Don't Bring this down to how a car is washed normally.

It's the laws effecting the effluent from the washing of a car. Whether you just run some water over the paintwork or whether bob scrubs the underside of the engine and wheel rims is irelevant. It is in the event you do create waste. If you don't then its irelevant.

The OP may be addressing the laws about water usage or airborne chemicals commonly used for cleaning cars that may be harmful or most likely the effluent from washing a car that may be harmful. However essentially it concerns water waste and that is the are i am focused.

Since you mention chemicals cause allergies then you should be mindful these chemicals may still be on the car from its last car wash when you run water over it particuarly if you live in certain warm climates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

My faith in humanity has just dropped 200 points after reading this lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

...There are so many toxins and chemical that are released during a car wash ... heavy scrubbing does release a huge amount of sludge. If someone dumped a bucket of this concentrated you would freak out. This sludge is dangerous and very toxic.

...The goverment could easily work with our garages to provide cheaper cleaning services which would encourage people to wash their cars at garages providing additional income.

I've never see a car being which has been subject to "heavy scrubbing", and as someone who has often cleaned my own car I have never found any amount of "sludge" let alone huge amounts of it. If someone "dumped" a bucket of sludge it's unlikely I'd freak out, and why this is relevant to someone washing their car seems unclear.

Really, it's just a guy washing his car, and the water and washing up liquid (that is usually the extent of the chemicals to which you refer) runs off down the nearest drain.
    This sludge contains the following toxins all controlled under the hazourdous waste act:

Gear box Oil
    Engine Oil
    Asbestos
    alkaline manganese
    cadmium
    petroleum
    heavy metal
    Hydraulic oils
    anti freeze

This is just a small list of what is in that sludge.

Talk about over exaggeration. I've rarely read such apparent lunacy on a boards post.

With my serious hat on, I would ask for your evidence that, when I wash my car, I am releasing all those substances which you claim are definitely contained in your sludge. Have you a scientific study or two where some boffins have gone around after people have washed their cars in housing estates and tested for the list of chemicals you claim are all included in your sludge.

As I've never seen any sludge after I wash my car, I'll not hold my breath waiting for evidence. I'm torn between whether the above quotes are meant to be humourous, or the product of a confused mind.

Don't Bring this down to how a car is washed normally.

Why not. Because thats what we are talking about. Not someone pressure cleaning engine bays and underbodies which is what you are talkng about.
    It's the laws effecting the effluent from the washing of a car. Whether you just run some water over the paintwork or whether bob scrubs the underside of the engine and wheel rims is irelevant. It is in the event you do create waste. If you don't then its irelevant. .

Well you made the distinction earlier, now you're saying theres no difference? You're not even consistent with your own comments.
    The OP may be addressing the laws about water usage or airborne chemicals commonly used for cleaning cars that may be harmful or most likely the effluent from washing a car that may be harmful. However essentially it concerns water waste and that is the are i am focused.

Actually the OP didn't mention water wastage and neither did you before now.

The laws vary from country to country, some its because theres a water shortage and others because of enviromental concerns. Which is a bit daft since when it rains, it washes off the car onto the road anyway. So few wash cars themselves (especially in Ireland) so the water wastage and enviromental impact must be tiny. Some do it for other reasons like not doing it on some days and times of the day, same way they limit when you can put washing out.

Since you mention chemicals cause allergies then you should be mindful these chemicals may still be on the car from its last car wash when you run water over it particuarly if you live in certain warm climates.

But we're not in a warm climate so thats another completely irrelevant point. If someone washes the car themselves it won't have these chemicals on it. If more people can't wash cars themselves they'll go to car washes, and get these chemicals on their car. Which then gets washed off when it rains. So thats worse.

The solution to water wastage is water charges. But of course that will push people to car washes and more chemicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

have they got a better car than you?? :D:D

• Advertisement

Thanks.

If builder leave a road in a mess (mud stones) I think (I could be wrong) they have to clean it. Maybe theres something in that, you could try.

I think your over stating the dangers of water off a car, its not much different to rainwater running off a car, other then theres soap in it, and the dirt from the road, which is already on the road. Besides hes doing it wrong soap in the water causes streaks, you don't need it. Kids shouldn't be on the road, and people shouldn't be walking on the road that much. Perhaps the layout is different and it is a problem. What do they do on a rainy day?

My faith in humanity has just dropped 200 points after reading this lunacy.

I don't see why an everday activity cannot be relevant to the environmental legistlation and the harzardous waste act so much so we cannot even discuss it.

If some EPA inspector was to visit ireland 30 years ago and ban many of the practices that were taken for granted our country and its flora and fauna would be a far better off as would the health of our people. Run off from farms was once considered normal but is now seen as a serious risk to the environment.I am sure you would find it lunacy if sheep waste from sheep washing was suddenly heavily regulated by a over zealous EPA agent. Thankfully it was due to the fact the run off was extremely fatal to flora and fauna on rivers and stream and it also caused very serious medical conditions in farmers who were exposed to it.

If a Farm has to comply to so many regulations and EU directives which i am sure you would be overwhelmed with then I do not see why it's lunacy to expect a motorist to to dispose of hazardous waste that comes from his or her motor vehicle in a manner that does not damage flora and or fauna or is not a component in the delta of carcinogenics at the end of a storm drain that is damaging the environment.

If this is lunacy then the lunatics have taken over the asylum in the form of the EU. Welcome to the 21st century.

EU Directive
    The Waste Oil directive is designed to create a harmonised system for the
    collection, treatment, storage and disposal of waste oils, such as lubricant oils for
    vehicles, oils for various types of engines, gearbox oils etc. The Directive also aims
    to protect the environment against the harmful effects of such operations. Waste oils are hazardous because they are carcinogenic and, if ending up in rivers, lakes and streams, can threaten aquatic life and contaminate soils if left on the ground. The Directive requires Member States to give the highest priority to the regeneration of waste oils in preference to other disposal methods. Several Countries have failed to make this objective a priority and, consequently, have been sent Reasoned Opinions. The Commission has already taken similar action against several other Member States.Ireland France belgium and UK Spain greece and Italy have all missed the deadline for transposing the Directive into national law, and since then, have not communicated all the necessary measures
    I've never see a car being which has been subject to "heavy scrubbing", and as someone who has often cleaned my own car I have never found any amount of "sludge" let alone huge amounts of it. If someone "dumped" a bucket of sludge it's unlikely I'd freak out, and why this is relevant to someone washing their car seems unclear.

Really, it's just a guy washing his car, and the water and washing up liquid (that is usually the extent of the chemicals to which you refer) runs off down the nearest drain.

Talk about over exaggeration. I've rarely read such apparent lunacy on a boards post.

With my serious hat on, I would ask for your evidence that, when I wash my car, I am releasing all those substances which you claim are definitely contained in your sludge. Have you a scientific study or two where some boffins have gone around after people have washed their cars in housing estates and tested for the list of chemicals you claim are all included in your sludge.

As I've never seen any sludge after I wash my car, I'll not hold my breath waiting for evidence. I'm torn between whether the above quotes are meant to be humourous, or the product of a confused mind.

Cunsid: I hope you have joined this thread out of interest and not to because of the our discussion in the previous thread about cows in the garden.

"About a kilo of mud came out from under the car! " Unquote - LINK provided

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60574

From a renault 4 underside - It might be helpful to point out not all cars produce engine sludge/mud in these quantities but plenty do.
    oil-sludge.jpg

This sludge has many carcinogenics and most likely heavy metals and possibly candium. If you eat this you will become very ill and perhaps die and it will also kill the flora and fauna in rivers and streams and the soil will be severly damaged.

Cars are collecting this from roads in certain conditions and it exists on the underside of cars. If a storm drain runs from several hosung estates into flora and fauna and thousands of cars are rinsing this sludge throughout those drains then at some point along the drainage system it will become a environmental hazard and it will effect the flora and fauna and the soil and it will be illegal. I d not know what the quantities required for a prosecution are but as i have said at some point that storm drain contains illegal amounts of carcinogenics.

Why not. Because thats what we are talking about. Not someone pressure cleaning engine bays and underbodies which is what you are talkng about.

That is also what we are talking about.

An example

Well you made the distinction earlier, now you're saying theres no difference? You're not even consistent with your own comments.

Actually the OP didn't mention water wastage and neither did you before now.

I made the distinction between what would likely be lawful and what would likely be unlawful based on the hazardous waste it produces. What would likely fall under the environmental act and or the hazardous waste act or the Waste oil directive.

If you say its lawful to wash your car then people will use power hoses and we are back to hazradous waste acts. This isn't a well its only rinse and suds discussion it is more should it be legal to allow hazardous waste to run with those water and suds effluent. Obviously it shouldn't.

The Op did mention water waste.

But we're not in a warm climate so thats another completely irrelevant point.
    We are in a wam climate

We are in a mild climate with predominantly warm air from the atlantic and would have warm climate for most of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

(He won't listen to my requests)

Good.

If builder leave a road in a mess (mud stones) I think (I could be wrong) they have to clean it. Maybe theres something in that, you could try.

All that's left behind after washing a car is the road residue, detergent and water. Only thing that could be done is wash it down the drain, which would be an huge waste of clean water.
    I don't see why an everday activity cannot be relevant to the environmental legistlation and the harzardous waste act so much so we cannot even discuss it.

From a renault 4 underside - It might be helpful to point out not all cars produce engine sludge/mud in these quantities but plenty do.
    oil-sludge.jpg

This sludge has many carcinogenics and most likely heavy metals and possibly candium. If you eat this you will become very ill and perhaps die and it will also kill the flora and fauna in rivers and streams and the soil will be severly damaged.

Cars are collecting this from roads in certain conditions and it exists on the underside of cars. If a storm drain runs from several hosung estates into flora and fauna and thousands of cars are rinsing this sludge throughout those drains then at some point along the drainage system it will become a environmental hazard and it will effect the flora and fauna and the soil and it will be illegal. I d not know what the quantities required for a prosecution are but as i have said at some point that storm drain contains illegal amounts of carcinogenics.

When was the last time anyone saw a Renault 4?:eek: You could have shown a Model T, I'm sure that has much more oil residue on it. A 30 year old vehicle design doesn't help you argument. Modern cars don't leak oil and if you ever looked into the engine bay of a modern car the only dirt you'll see if road grime. I'm sure with a quick google you could provide a link to prove me wrong, but if you went to 10 car sales yards you'd do well to find anything even close to that bad.

That is also what we are talking about.

An example

I made the distinction between what would likely be lawful and what would likely be unlawful based on the hazardous waste it produces. What would likely fall under the environmental act and or the hazardous waste act or the Waste oil directive.

If you say its lawful to wash your car then people will use power hoses and we are back to hazradous waste acts. This isn't a well its only rinse and suds discussion it is more should it be legal to allow hazardous waste to run with those water and suds effluent. Obviously it shouldn't.

The Op did mention water waste.

We are in a mild climate with predominantly warm air from the atlantic and would have warm climate for most of the year.

All that was washed off that car came from the road. There's no pics of engine bay jet washing. If the car is parked there normally that would all end up on the ground eventually as it would fall off as it dried or get washed off when it rains.

No one on here would condone jet washing engine bays in housing estates, and if you had any sense you wouldn't jet wash an engine bay anyway. But a jet wash of the outside and wheel arches isn't going to put anything on the road that wasn't there anyway. Do you think that cars get dirty from something other then road dirt and bird sh!t?

QUOTE]

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/11/earthtalk.php

"Few people realize that washing our cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly chores we can do around the house"

A Houston company by the name of Eco-Suds in Houston, Texas is hoping to incorporate the best of both worlds by taking the water and electricity savings of a hand wash, and incorporating a non-toxic (biodegradable) cleaning solution that will offer the safe and appropriate disposal all waste water, as commercial car wash facilities are sanctioned to follow by the 1972 Clean Water Act.

The Clean Water Act (CWA) is the cornerstone of surface water quality protection in the United States. (The Act does not deal directly with ground water nor with water quantity issues.) The statute employs a variety of regulatory and nonregulatory tools to sharply reduce direct pollutant discharges into waterways, finance municipal wastewater treatment facilities, and manage polluted runoff. These tools are employed to achieve the broader goal of restoring and maintaining the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the nation's waters so that they can support "the protection and propagation of fish, shellfish, and wildlife and recreation in and on the water."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Thanks.

Your very lucky, where I live it's the opposite, they set them on fire just to get the emergency services out to hose them down!

• Advertisement

QUOTE]

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/11/earthtalk.php

"Few people realize that washing our cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly chores we can do around the house"

A tree hugger website is hardly going to agree with car washing. Where are their links to the EPA proving their points?

How is washing the road grime off a car any different from road grime washing off a road into the drains?

All that's left behind after washing a car is the road residue, detergent and water. Only thing that could be done is wash it down the drain, which would be an huge waste of clean water.

When was the last time anyone saw a Renault 4?:eek: You could have shown a Model T, I'm sure that has much more oil residue on it. A 30 year old vehicle design doesn't help you argument. Modern cars don't leak oil and if you ever looked into the engine bay of a modern car the only dirt you'll see if road grime. I'm sure with a quick google you could provide a link to prove me wrong, but if you went to 10 car sales yards you'd do well to find anything even close to that bad.

That engine is typical of much machinary and equipment that has contact with our roads. Many large vehicles have engines like this. There are not many 80's reg cars but there many antiques as it were on Ford capris Alpha romeos and mercedes etc.. There is however an abundance of 1990's cars and even your typical Moped would have a handful of grime if you were to look.

All of this ends up on the roads. Then it rains and your top of the range hybrid toyota gets all of this collected under the wheel rims and the underside of the car. Sludge and grime dries hardens and remains there until cleaned off.

In fact there is as many 1990 model cars out there than 2000. Even 2000 models are based on 1990 designs and the 1990 cars are based on even older designs. In the example above of a car being washed was a vauxhal astra a very typical car in britain. It produced over a kilo in heavy waste from under the car. You can claim that everyone drives top of the range Toyota hybrids and maybe they do in Foxrock but ironically the cars being washed in housing estates are producing over a kilo in heavy waste from the underbody alone. Where it's all coming from; i dont know, but its there and we have to deal with it and it should not go down the storm drain.

Vehicles are improving to such an extent that they truly are green and clean, but lets be realistic, that is that car wash waste with harzardous effluent should have been illegal a long time ago when it was almost guaranteed to be harzardous in older model cars.

As it stands there are still many old car models and large vehicles and mopeds on the road that do not have green and clean engines; making road sludge from every car potentially hazardous even if it is a Toyota hybrid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd love to know why we've been shown the inside of an engine with the rocker cover off in a discussion about washing the exterior of your car?

Roads when wet or dry are cleaned by cars that act like filters picking the sediment and dirt and by centrifugal force and pasting on the underside of the car. The dirt comes form a variety of places.

So wait, let me get this straight. Cars, pick up the dirt on the road, and then you wash you car, and the dirt goes back on the road? My god, I probably won't be able to sleep tonight at the thought of it.

How many people wash the underside of their cars anyway?

[EDIT]Oh, you deleted your post. Nevermind, the logic behind it is severly flawed anyway.

A tree hugger website is hardly going to agree with car washing. Where are their links to the EPA proving their points?

How is washing the road grime off a car any different from road grime washing off a road into the drains?

A car owner is hardly going to agree with being prosecuted for washing his car.
    What your point! I am not going to argue with every car owner.

Please read the harzardous waste act. If our storm drains are in breach of the hazardous waste act due to car washing then it should be regulated. If you don't produce any harzardous waste or by product from the road then great.

As for roads

Roads when wet or dry are cleaned by cars that act like filters picking the sediment and dirt and by centrifugal force and pasting on the underside of the car. The dirt comes form a variety of places.

It is not the Rubbish disposal companies fault people dump hazardous waste in their bins but the waste conpany still has to comply with the regulations and dispose of it and record the waste it handles. It isn't a private companies fault that people dump on their land but they still must comply with the disposal of that waste.

Where is php-fox. He started the feckin thread.

• Advertisement

The waste effluent doesn't go back on the road
    pirelli wrote:
    It collects in housing car parks and other nooks and crannies and in people drive ways and gardens and in the cracks between the pavements.

lol, make up your mind!
    pirellie wrote:
    You dump your filth near my sisters kids or pets or my property and i will make sure you sleep all night long .

Post reported. Not only are you posting sensationalist nonsense, you're threatening other boards users. What a way to debate online.

lol, make up your mind!

Post reported. Not only are you posting sensationalist nonsense, you're threatening other boards users. What a way to debate online.

How come my user name is spelt incorrectly. Pirellie

Looks its late and it's not my thread and if you had read the entire thread i am only looking to find a legal impetus for the thread in the form of the hazardous waste act.

I do not agree with the OP. His neighbour reguarly washes his car and i can only assume it's quite clean. It probably has very little or negliable waste therefore while the Op is overreacting he has raised an issue that some cars should not be washed in public places that could effect flora and fauna. This is quite correct.

I see you've edited your post and removed the threat. Nevermind, the mods will be able to see your first unedited version. If you can't debate online without resorting to personal insults, then don't debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Travis Bickle once said... Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.
    I can only hope he meant this thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

mikom wrote: »
    Travis Bickle once said... Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.
    I can only hope he meant this thread as well.

Will that rain wash yer man's car as well?

....That is also what we are talking about.

No there was no mention of power hoses or washing under cars or engines, by the OP. Thats completely your invention.

Power hosing is not something you want to do on a car everywhere. Its too easy to damage the paint or the electrics.
    ...We are in a mild climate with predominantly warm air from the atlantic and would have warm climate for most of the year.

So what. The context was chemicals being left on car from car washes. Not likely with all the rain we get.

...All of this ends up on the roads. Then it rains and your top of the range hybrid toyota gets all of this collected under the wheel rims and the underside of the car. Sludge and grime dries hardens and remains there until cleaned off....

So it comes of the road, but its only a problem if you put it back on the road.

You wash it into the drain with a bucket and a hose. But a few million gallons of rainwater doesn't.

And to prove your point about sludge you show the inside of an engine. Which washing will never reach ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

So the best evidence you can come up with, from claiming the following...
    Heavy scrubbing and removal of sludge from under the car wheel rims and heavy scrubbing under the engine and under the under side of the car will produce a sludge.

Gear box Oil
    Engine Oil
    Asbestos
    alkaline manganese
    cadmium
    petroleum
    heavy metal
    Hydraulic oils
    anti freeze

This is just a small list of what is in that sludge.

...is that someone who washed his car said there was "about a kilo of mud came out from under the car?

A car owner is hardly going to agree with being prosecuted for washing his car.
    What your point! I am not going to argue with every car owner.

Please read the harzardous waste act. If our storm drains are in breach of the hazardous waste act due to car washing then it should be regulated. If you don't produce any harzardous waste or by product from the road then great.

If a car owner is washing engine oil down the drains I, and I'd say 99% of people on this thread, would agree with them getting the full force of the law and some heavy blunt objects thrown at them.

If someone is washing the out side of their car all they are doing is washing dirt which comes from the road back onto the road.

Even if there is a bit of oil in it, there is much more oil being pumped out the back of cars being started and driven. Since our government have decided that diesel is a "clean and green" fuel there's lots more crap being dumped onto the roads. And all this is being washed into the storm drains.

As for roads

It is not the Rubbish disposal companies fault people dump hazardous waste in their bins but the waste conpany still has to comply with the regulations and dispose of it and record the waste it handles. It isn't a private companies fault that people dump on their land but they still must comply with the disposal of that waste.

Roads aren't cleaned by cars. They are worn down by cars which creates road grime which is then added to the rubber off tyres and the exhaust residue which gets stuck to cars and needs to be cleaned off or gets swept to the side of the road into the drains.

No there was no mention of power hoses or washing under cars or engines, by the OP. Thats completely your invention.

Power hosing is not something you want to do on a car everywhere. Its too easy to damage the paint or the electrics.

So what. The context was chemicals being left on car from car washes. Not likely with all the rain we get.

I didn't invent the power hose, I provided a link to the most extensive car washing forum in the uk. They all use these tools. In fact if you have an issue take it up with them, the information in that link shows the methods people use cleaning their car.
    A garden hose can have considerable pressure.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=60574

As for the Op he/she hasn't posted once on this thread and he/she hasn't clarfied anything in his/her vague OP. That lack of clarification should be an issue between yourself and the OP.

It hasn't rained all month. Blue skies almost everyday where I live which i would rather be enjoying than discussing washing cars if you have all quite finished interrogating me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement