Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WHAT IS THE BEST SUPERMINI?

• 03-03-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a Renault Clio to scrap but cannot decide on what to buy with all the choice out there.
    I have a budget of around 16k and want to buy a new car with a Diesel engine.
    Have looked at the VW Polo, the Corsa and the Clio.
    Which one is the best drive/buy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

Long term, the Polo will have the best resale. Not sure what any of them are like to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deecent

kebrosnan wrote: »
    Long term, the Polo will have the best resale. Not sure what any of them are like to drive.

Ta Kebrosnan. Thought as much about resale value re the polo. wasnt to keen on how the corsa felt when taking it for a test drive. will have to try the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Polo will hold it's value best, but will cost you more at the outset. €15K will get you a basic Polo or a top spec Clio. I would go for the Clio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Have you driven the Fiesta? Even the entry level Style comes with alloys as standard. They're the best looking Supermini by a country mile IMO. It's very, very good to drive too judging by the reviews.

08-ford-fiesta-fs-s2.jpgford-fiesta-interior-23-02-09.jpg

Polo will hold it's value best, but will cost you more at the outset. €15K will get you a basic Polo or a top spec Clio. I would go for the Clio.

ta Stevie, Renault 1.5 dci dynamique high spec is 19,125euro before scrappage works out at 14625 with scrappage deal. polo comfortline 1.6 tdi is cheaper at 18,820 before scrappage but 16,500 after scarappage! so financially clio better.

At Ollie, ta havent looked at feista yet because i think the diesel model might be outside my budget...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

What about the mito? Great looks, alfa heritage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Or how about the Kia Rio 1.5 diesel or 1.4 petrol? :) Well in your price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

kebrosnan wrote: »

Not if the 02-09 Polo was anything to go by. Crappy and troublesome 3 cylinder engine and even worse quality interior trim. Not loved in the trade at all. They were terribly over priced new and as a percentage of their new value they hold no more of a residual than any other good supermini on the market. Infact a year for year Clio or Fiesta would hammer the Polo over the first 3 years as regards the amount of money lost.

deecent wrote: »
    ta Stevie, Renault 1.5 dci dynamique high spec is 19,125euro before scrappage works out at 14625 with scrappage deal. polo comfortline 1.6 tdi is cheaper at 18,820 before scrappage but 16,500 after scarappage! so financially clio better.

At Ollie, ta havent looked at feista yet because i think the diesel model might be outside my budget...

Push a bit harder and you will get a TomTom spec for not much more, with cruise, climate, sat nav and more, all for less than stripped out Trendline. The Polo is a great car but the Clio is just way better value and a great car too.

I would go for the Clio.

The current model Clio came out in 2005 and is due for replacement next year. It received a major enough facelift last year alright and current prices are tempting. I just never like buying models that are near the end of their life cycle. When the new model comes out it will inevitably decrease the older models value fairly substantially. BTW, this is how supposedly the 2011 model Clio will look like. Looks great too! Link

renault-clio-2012-001-480x272.jpgrenault-clio-2012-002-480x281.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe wait until April Citroen DS3.

Or maybe the New C3 starting at €12800 (ex works - 1.4i petrol, band B) inc scrappage.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    substantially. This is how supposedly the 2011 model Clio will look like. Looks great too! Link

Its gonna be late 2011 befor that shows up though so really 2012 before you'd buy one.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its gonna be late 2011 befor that shows up though so really 2012 before you'd buy one.

I wasn't saying the OP should wait to buy one, just pointing out the Clio is a lot older model than say the new model Fiesta. But I understand what you're saying Ed. The current model Clio just doesn't do it for me, even at the current slashed prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, Renault are selling the new Megane Hatchback/Coupe 1.5 dCi within your budget. They are good value under the scrappage scheme and alot nicer than the Clio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

If it were my money and I wanted a supermini in the pure sense it would be the Mito , in diesel or multi air petrol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Renault Sport Twingo Cup??

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, Renault are selling the new Megane Hatchback/Coupe 1.5 dCi within your budget. They are good value under the scrappage scheme and alot nicer than the Clio.

OP is looking for a Supermini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Uncle traded an 08 Focus 1.6 in for a 10 Fiesta 1.4 tdci titanium last week.

Really nice car I have to say. Engine could be smoother but the rest of the car is as good as anything the class above IMO

EPM wrote: »

Really nice car I have to say. Engine could be smoother but the rest of the car is as good as anything the class above IMO

I dont think the world has discovered just how good that new fiesta is yet. Its gonna be in big demand in couple of years as a used buy

OP is looking for a Supermini.

I know but the OP has a budget of €16k which will get you alot more than a supermini. Just making the OP aware of his/her options.

• Advertisement

I know but the OP has a budget of €16k which will get you alot more than a supermini. Just making the OP aware of his/her options.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Definitely going for the supermini size car. The Renault Megane is a bit outside my budget, the 1.5d basic starts at over 22k and the max scrappage I can get off the Clio is 5 k.
    Probably wont get 5 k off a new Megane.

Mito looks great on the site btw, until I looked it up I didnt know what it was!

deecent wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Definitely going for the supermini size car. The Renault Megane is a bit outside my budget, the 1.5d basic starts at over 22k and the max scrappage I can get off the Clio is 5 k.
    Probably wont get 5 k off a new Megane.

Mito looks great on the site btw, until I looked it up I didnt know what it was!

The Megane hatchback or Coupe can be bought for €14,800 including the scrappage and Renault discounts. Scroll down the page below:

http://www.renault.ie/services/pricelist.html

The Megane hatchback or Coupe can be bought for €14,800 including the scrappage and Renault discounts. Scroll down the page below:

http://www.renault.ie/services/pricelist.html

.....infact I know a really nice guy who'll sell you one, on the road including met paint ( so long as the trade in meets all the scrappage criteria ) for €14,500 * ..............Now who could that be :confused::D

* PM for further details :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ 1 for the mito, I had one for a week as a loaner & it was fatastic

Really nice car I have to say. Engine could be smoother but the rest of the

The Fiesta 1.25 Style petrol model can be bought for €12,600 (inc. delivery, met paint and alloy wheels as standard) under the scrappage scheme , which I think is superb value. I'm not sure what prices the diesel models are going for, but I'm sure they must be well within the OP's budget of €16,000. I wouldn't take any notice of list prices - just go to the dealers and tell them you're shopping for the best value.
    car is as good as anything the class above IMO

The Top Gear review on its website said exactly the same thing. They said it didn't drive like a supermini, but more like a car from a class above, like a Focus or Golf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I Know its not a Supermini but seat are doing great Deals on the end of line Cordobas 1.4TDI 'Sport' Diesel 80Bhp for €14,635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

The Fiesta 1.25 Style petrol model can be bought for €12,600 (inc. delivery, met paint and alloy wheels as standard) under the scrappage scheme , which I think is superb value. I'm not sure what prices the diesel models are going for, but I'm sure they must be well within the OP's budget of €16,000. I wouldn't take any notice of list prices - just go to the dealers and tell them you're shopping for the best value.

The Top Gear review on its website said exactly the same thing. They said it didn't drive like a supermini, but more like a car from a class above, like a Focus or Golf.

+1

Cracking little car with great handling. The 1.25 engine is a little gem. Great around town and lively enough once you keep the revs up.

Would definitely go for a test drive in it before buying anything else and if you got it at €12,600 its a bargain

Heard the Corsa was due a whole new range of very low emission engines very soon so probably best to hold off on that one

I Know its not a Supermini but seat are doing great Deals on the end of line Cordobas 1.4TDI 'Sport' Diesel 80Bhp for €14,635

It is a supermini actually as it is based on the Ibiza, the Cordoba is also being phased out and there are no plans to replace it as supermini size saloons don't sell well. Skoda stopped producing a Fabia saloon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

+1 on the fiesta. Its a cracker, only negative is that the interior trim build quality is a bit lacking. Great car to drive and looks the job too.

Other than that I quite like the Mazda 2, its based on the fiesta platform, looks well and is cheaper too. Its also the lightest car in the class afaik which floats my boat to be honest!

Finally, I agree with everyone that the old gen Polo was a munter, but the new one seems to be a big step forward. I would be cautious but wouldnt rule it out.

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    +1 on the fiesta. Its a cracker, only negative is that the interior trim build quality is a bit lacking. Great car to drive and looks the job too.

Noticed that too. The stuff you touch is really good, but the centre console is cheap. Really solid, but cheap.

The only thing that gives it away as a smaller car though is the small centre console and the boot isn't as well finished as say a Focus (metal at backs of seats is a poor showing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Noticed that too. The stuff you touch is really good, but the centre console is cheap. Really solid, but cheap.

The only thing that gives it away as a smaller car though is the small centre console and the boot isn't as well finished as say a Focus (metal at backs of seats is a poor showing)
    Fiesta- bang on there... very nice car alright and lovely to drive...
    Ficus wrote: »
    Fiat 500?
    personally, havent drove one.. but really just dont get it, the looks do nothing for me, thik they are butt ugly.... i know i am in minority on that... and they have great reviews

furtzy wrote: »
    +1Cracking little car with great handling. The 1.25 engine is a little gem. Great around town and lively enough once you keep the revs up.

Would definitely go for a test drive in it before buying anything else and if you got it at €12,600 its a bargain

I know someone that got the 5-Door Style for €12,600 (inc. del, met paint and alloys as standard) under the scrappage scheme, which I think is a great price. It would be interesting to know what the diesels are going for as the OP was initially interested in a diesel, but the 1.25 petrol is a very reliable and well proven engine. It's the 82bhp engine too with a claimed average of 49mpg and €156 road tax per annum. Is a diesel that much of an advantage really, unless someone is doing very high mileage?

I know someone that got the 5-Door Style for €12,600 (inc. del, met paint and alloys as standard) which I think is a great price. It would be interesting to know what the diesels are going for as the OP was initially interested in a diesel, but the 1.25 petrol is a very reliable and well proven engine. It's the 82bhp engine too with a claimed average of 49mpg and €156 road tax per annum. Is a diesel that much of an advantage really, unless someone is doing very high mileage?

If it helps, the uncle paid 7k with an 08 1.6 style pre-facelift hatch.

Think the diesel was in and around 18k, but I'd assume a lower spec would be cheaper

i need to put a stop to this. the fiesta is a hideous looking car, with a cheap and nasty interior and is driven by grannys

Is a diesel that much of an advantage really, unless someone is doing very high mileage?

No, and the smaller the vehicle the higher the mileage needed for diesel to pay for itself. I reckon you would want to be doing 25000 miles/annum to justify it really. There are driveability preferences too - for motorway miles diesel is much more appealing for instance. I think you should always ask yourself which fueled car you would like to own and how much that preference is worth to you. Often, doing the maths a petrol could be say €500/annum more expensive to run - but for me I'm happy to pay the extra €500 for that.

I always find is strange that people are happy to pay an extra €3k for a diesel to save €5 a week at the pumps. There must be some interesting psychological reason why people are happy to fork out for a lump sum but hate paying slighty more (than for petrol) on a regular basis. Not directed at the OP, more of a general comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Ficus wrote: »
    Fiat 500?
    ferrari 500 ;)
    500g.jpg

Bluefoam wrote: »
    i need to put a stop to this. the fiesta is a hideous looking car, with a cheap and nasty interior and is driven by grannys

What would you suggest as an alternative? Apart from the Mito, which is gorgeous but much pricier.

Couldn't disagree more, but everyone to their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

As an alternative option, how about a Suzuki Swift Sport?

Evo did a great group test last July, it's well worth a read.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/235627/fiat_panda_v_ford_fiesta_v_abarth_500_v_mazda_2_v_suzuki_swift_sport_v_renaultsport_twingo_v_mitsubishi_colt_ralliart.html

If it helps, the uncle paid 7k with an 08 1.6 style pre-facelift hatch.

Great price. Some great bargains out there in the used market atm.
    Bluefoam wrote: »

Absolute rubbish. It by far the best looking supermini of there IMO.
    No, and the smaller the vehicle the higher the mileage needed for diesel to pay for itself. I reckon you would want to be doing 25000 miles/annum to justify it really. There are driveability preferences too - for motorway miles diesel is much more appealing for instance. I think you should always ask yourself which fueled car you would like to own and how much that preference is worth to you. Often, doing the maths a petrol could be say €500/annum more expensive to run - but for me I'm happy to pay the extra €500 for that.

I always find is strange that people are happy to pay an extra €3k for a diesel to save €5 a week at the pumps. There must be some interesting psychological reason why people are happy to fork out for a lump sum but hate paying slighty more (than for petrol) on a regular basis. Not directed at the OP, more of a general comment.

Well said! I think a lot of people have become a little obsessed with diesels of late. I agree with everything you said so I won't repeat the pros and cons again.
    What would you suggest as an alternative? Apart from the Mito, which is gorgeous but much pricier.

I can't think of a better supermini than the Fiesta either. Looks wise and drivability wise, I think it's the class leader. I'd still be interested to know what Bluefoam would recommend.

Couldn't disagree more, but everyone to their own!

I suggested the mito - which can be bought within OPs budget... why do i need to suggest more cars?

BTW Longshanks100, I'll see your ferrari 500 and raise you a maserati mito

data.jpg

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/passion/news-events/2010/01/Maserati-Teams-Up-With-Alfa-Romeo-MiTo-for-its-European-Service-Network-.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Well said! I think a lot of people have become a little obsessed with diesels of late. I agree with everything you said so I won't repeat the pros and cons again.

People are just following the market. Diesels are out-selling petrols 2 : 1 so suppose people are just going along with the trend afraid of falling residuals on petrols.

My parents bought a diesel Pro-Ceed for this reason despite only doing less that 10k klms a years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It is a supermini actually as it is based on the Ibiza, the Cordoba is also being phased out and there are no plans to replace it as supermini size saloons don't sell well. Skoda stopped producing a Fabia saloon too.

Great little car.
    I bought one in 08 and love the economy it gives.
    Cheap tax (104)
    Huge Boot capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Would say that the Citroen DS3 is the best looking in the category.

Ds3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^I'ld say its gonna be worth the wait!!!

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

^I'ld say its gonna be worth the wait!!!
    Would never advise buying a car in the first year of it's production. Let somebody else do the beta testing for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:p Just a bit out of the price range but you asked for the best.

a2009286112555326.jpg

Advertisement