Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sats Receivable in Ireland

• 03-03-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

All,

Ive been looking through the forum and couldnt find a central location for users to note the satellites they can pick up in Ireland. Lots for UK on the web though.

How far east and west have people got.

Is there much of a difference in reception on weak sats from East to West coast of Ireland.

I have an 90cm on motor and have got 28,19.2,16,13,10,5 east and 1,5,8,15,30 west.

Will a bigger dish get more sats or more FTA channels on these sats above.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

You'll get to 45east no problem and you'll get 42,39,9 & 7 East no problem. A few more sats on the west side upto 30west but not much only feeds on them. I have all the above but have deleted ones like 36 east because there is not much on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Thanks TomSlick,

Is that east or west coast.

What size dish.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

It's a 90cm dish in East Cork. If you are using USALS to drive your dish you'll find them no problem. Here is a strongest transponder list from a guy in london area (not my work)

Satellite
    Position~~~Freq--Pol--s/r ---tv station
    Express AM-22 @ 53 east 11616V 2893 Al-Jamahirya TV-2
    Astra 1F @ 51 east 12167V 27500 RTL Télé Lėtzebuerg
    Intelsat-12 @ 45 east 11619V 5786 Prima
    Turksat 3A @ 42 east 12679V 8888 24 TV
    Express AM-1 @ 40 east 11096H 4800 UZ-tv
    Hellas Sat-2 @39 east 12606H 30000 ERT World
    Eutelsat W-7 @ 36 east 12521H 4340 Lider tv
    EuroBird-3 @ 33.2 east 11105H 2441 TV8 Monte Blanc
    Turksat 1C @ 31 east 11009V 2150 Aksu TV (1.7 degrees inclined)
    Astra 2D @ 28.2 east 10773H 22000 BBC-1
    Badr-4 @ 26 east 12182H 16200 Yemen tv
    Astra 1G @ 23.5 east 11914H 27500 TV Noord
    Eutelsat W-6 @ 21.6 east 11532V 2857 Al Rai
    Astra 1L @ 19.2 east 11597V 22000 BBC World
    Eutel W2M @ 16 east 11282H 27500 Vizion+
    Hot Bird 6 @ 13 east 11032V 27500 Al Jazeera Int
    Eutel W2A @ 10 east 11144H 2441 ANB
    EuroBird 9A @ 9 east 11804V 27500 Lux
    Eutel W3A @ 7 east 11282V 27500 M6 Swiss
    Sirius-4 @ 4.8 east 11766H 27500 KRT
    EuroBird 4A @ 4 east 12540H 39060 data
    Thor-5 @ 0.8 west 11324H 24500 BBC World
    Amos-3 @ 4 west 10890V 27500 Megasport
    AtlanticBird-3 @ 5 west 12543H 27500 Toyor Al Janah
    Nilesat 101 @ 7 west 11785V 27500 Dubai Sports
    Telecom 2D @ 7.8 west Feeds at times {3.5 degrees inclined}
    AtlanticBird-2 @ 8 west 11066H 12666 BET
    AtlanticBird-1 @12.5 west 11100H 2000 Al Hayat Life Channel
    Telstar 12 @ 15 west 12608H 19277 MAC tv
    Intelsat 901 @ 18 west 11660H 5632 NBA tv
    NSS-7 @ 22 west 12734H 18084 Algeria
    Intelsat 905 @ 24.5 west 11674V 27500 NTA Global
    Intelsat 907 @ 27.5 west 11665V 13020 Ch-5*encrypt
    Hispasat 1C @ 30 west 12092V 27500 Al Jazeera Intl
    Intelsat 801 @ 31.5 west Feeds at times {1.3 degrees inclined}
    Intelsat 903 @ 34.5 west 11472V 2480 data
    Telstar 11N @ 37.6 west 10965V 3617 Aflenz E-S test
    Intelsat 3R @ 43.1 west 12572H 2205 Deya BN (0.5 d inclined)
    Intelsat 14 @ 45 west 11674V 1240 Canal Info News in MPEG-4
    Intelsat-9 @ 58 west Feeds at times but no regular transmissions

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

i am on west coast with 90cm triax - prob can get more but have only stored my favs - all on east. particularly like 23.5east which i have only just set up.

EAST
    28.5/28.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

1.2m in Mayo getting too much TV,,,must bring the dog for a walk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

- Is there an up to date site with sats and channel listings. I see http://www.lyngsat.com/ but doesnt seem up to date.
    - So are 28.2E and 19.2E the main english speaking ones
    - I just want to see if its worth setting up multiple LNB's (non-english channels are no use to me, unless it's premier league!)
    - What sat's host the foreign english commentry premier league channels (cards needed)

thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Elvis you might need to look at this

http://liveonsat.com

Find the sport you wantto watch and what channels/sats it is mostly on then decide from that, if you are looking EPL I would suggest the following depending on what money you wantto pay for subs

0.8W, 13e, 28.5e for freeview, or setanta sub, 19.2e

If it was me boss and you where just using 1 receiver I would use a motor as the EPL is cheaper when u get loads of small packages.

what county are you in? You should be ok with a 1m dish anywhere in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

cheers,
    Im in Co. Mayo
    Other than Astra at 28.5E, do any of the close by sats (one which I could just use additioanl LNB rather than motor or additional dish) have prem packages or even regular english channel.
    I dont fancy the motorised and just wondering if above is worth persuing or not.
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

for normal english channels Astra is your boy but for prem you have nova, supersports, and sky italy all depending on how much u want to pay most come with english com or the option to turn the com off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

A mate in Belfast used to have 42 East on an 80cm dish although he didnt seem to have all the transponders and he used to get a lot of breakup on the middling strength ones on rainy/cloudy days.

Trouble with satellites very far East (or West) is that it can be very hard to locate the dish anywhere near ground level without something obstructing the path to the satellite. In my mates case the dish was located high on a back wall almost at roof level which is a bit of a pain if the dish ever needs realignment (or other repairs/maintenance) not to mention if he ever moves house........

I have a 95 cm motorised dish but (probably due to n0bbery on my part) Ive never managed anything further East than 28.2 E

It does beg the question though why all the UK/Irish stuff is on 28 East, German/Spanish on 19 East and most Central/East Eruopean/Middle Eastern stuff is on 13 East
    Other than Astra at 28.5E, do any of the close by sats (one which I could just use additioanl LNB rather than motor or additional dish) have prem packages or even regular english channel.
    A few Dutch channels on 23.5. Not terribly au fait with the details although I know Dutch TV tends to show a lot of English language stuff subtitled rather than dubbed (Is this why most Dutch people have such good English ???)

A small number of channels on 13 East would have some/all of their programming in English but it would be mostly news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hermunkla

elvis23 wrote: »
    - Is there an up to date site with sats and channel listings. I see http://www.lyngsat.com/ but doesnt seem up to date.
    - So are 28.2E and 19.2E the main english speaking ones
    - I just want to see if its worth setting up multiple LNB's (non-english channels are no use to me, unless it's premier league!)
    - What sat's host the foreign english commentry premier league channels (cards needed)

thanks for any info.
    Hi Elvis, take a look at FLYSAT.com Lists updated twice daily also tells you if any encrypted channels are temporarily open. If you like it- bookmark it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hermunkla

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A mate in Belfast used to have 42 East on an 80cm dish although he didnt seem to have all the transponders and he used to get a lot of breakup on the middling strength ones on rainy/cloudy days.

Trouble with satellites very far East (or West) is that it can be very hard to locate the dish anywhere near ground level without something obstructing the path to the satellite. In my mates case the dish was located high on a back wall almost at roof level which is a bit of a pain if the dish ever needs realignment (or other repairs/maintenance) not to mention if he ever moves house........

I have a 95 cm motorised dish but (probably due to n0bbery on my part) Ive never managed anything further East than 28.2 E

It does beg the question though why all the UK/Irish stuff is on 28 East, German/Spanish on 19 East and most Central/East Eruopean/Middle Eastern stuff is on 13 East

A few Dutch channels on 23.5. Not terribly au fait with the details although I know Dutch TV tends to show a lot of English language stuff subtitled rather than dubbed (Is this why most Dutch people have such good English ???)

A small number of channels on 13 East would have some/all of their programming in English but it would be mostly news.
    Hi Mike, If your mate had done a blind search on 42E it would have turned up the missing TP`s. Turksat have changed TP`s a lot recently and you`d want to be on FLYSAT. com or Lyngsat TO keep up. Perhaps your motorised set-up is not properly aligned. You can look at Digital Kaos for very worthwhile info. on set-up,receivers and a whole lot more. I`m on 42e 16e 9e 1w 5w and 28e on a multi lmb set-up on 4 80cm. dishes and my 42e is on a pole only 3ft. off the ground and yes the dish is low for 42 also had an lmb on 45e off the 42 but very little there except prima which is english movies and sitrcom channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EmmettPower90

Hey everyone. Im in the south east in co. Waterford. Just had a freeview system installed. He installed an 'avanit s2x' box. He installed 20 channels.And we thi k he hooked it up to our old sky satelite. We got the new sky dig satelite nd left the old up up. Its alot larger than the new sky dish. I wasnt impressed so i went into settings then installation then multiple satelite search and saw that network search was selected as no. I ticked yes. Also it said fta only and had 'no' selected , i left that setting as i didnt knw what it meant,Satelite in the settings section says : astra 2A 2b 2d. i then clicked scan. 812 channels came in. Few were useful like e4 + 1 and more music channels and cbs reality and action channels. Rte one and two ,tv3, 3e , came up in the list but it said they were scrambled when i tried to view them. Considering im living in ireland why cant i get them. Im sorry if im in wrong post but this was only section i could find that said south ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hey everyone. Im in the south east in co. Waterford. Just had a freeview system installed. He installed an 'avanit s2x' box. He installed 20 channels. I wasnt impressed so i went into settings then installation then multiple satelite search and saw that network search was selected as no. I ticked yes. Also it said fta only and had 'no' selected , i left that setting as i didnt knw what it meant, i then clicked scan. 812 channels came in. Few were useful like e4 + 1 and more music channels and cbs reality and action channels. Rte one and two ,tv3, 3e , came up in the list but it said they were scrambled when i tried to view them. Considering im living in ireland why cant i get them. Im sorry if im in wrong post but this was only section i could find that said south ireland.

RTE, tv3 etc. are encrypted channels on satellite. You have to pay a subscription to sky for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EmmettPower90

Can i still tune tv3 nd rte one and two in with analogue antenna so?
    I dont understand why our neighbour has freeview box with all same channels as us but they have rte one, two and tv 3. My dad is a bit po'd as hes ranting on about paying tv licence lol

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Can i still tune tv3 nd rte one and two in with analogue antenna so?
    I dont understand why our neighbour has freeview box with all same channels as us but they have rte one, two and tv 3. My dad is a bit po'd as hes ranting on about paying tv licence lol

Freeview receiver = Terristrial Aerial
    Free to air receiver = Satellite system
    Freesat = Satellite system

Are you sure your neighbour has not got an Mpeg4 box {Designed for Ireland but will pick UK channels over spill in south east Ireland} connnected to his Aerial.
    Also what you have is a Avanit s2x Free to Air satellite receiver not a freeview box. A freeview box is basically for the British market its designed to be connected to an Aerial in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Skatman

Hi guys, just wanted to ask, is anyone able to get Eutelsat W7 at 36.0°E in Kildare region? Or would it be possible for me to get it using Lidl Dish 80cm, with the Free View Receiver?

Am a beginner after moving from Cable boxes, that have gone N3, and I have an installed Sky dish with LNB, so am wondering can I use the Sky's dish to connect to Astra 2A/2B/2D & Eurobird 1 at 28.2°E for the free channels, and then use my Lidl 80cm dish to get the Eutelsat.

Kindly let me know if this is possible. And if the 80cm dish is capable to get Eutelsat.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

The satellite is receivable here, bu there are different beams on it.

If its football you want, (EPL) the beam isn't viewable here.

36e-w7-eu.gif

These are the channels available -> http://www.lyngsat.com/ew7.html

There is also Sub Sahara beam in the above so be wary - beam we can get is Called Eurasia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

www.lyngsat.com is good. Check out the footprints.

To get the weaker transponders you want 110cm dish.

For some feeds you might need larger.

Toward West of Ireland you are not likely to get
    Express AM-22, 53 east, 11616V, 2893, Al-Jamahirya TV-2
    Astra 1F, 51 east, 12167V, 27500, RTL Télé Letzebuerg
    Intelsat-12, 45 east, 11619V, 5786, Prima

Skatman wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wanted to ask, is anyone able to get Eutelsat W7 at 36.0°E in Kildare region? Or would it be possible for me to get it using Lidl Dish 80cm, with the Free View Receiver?

Am a beginner after moving from Cable boxes, that have gone N3, and I have an installed Sky dish with LNB, so am wondering can I use the Sky's dish to connect to Astra 2A/2B/2D & Eurobird 1 at 28.2°E for the free channels, and then use my Lidl 80cm dish to get the Eutelsat.

Kindly let me know if this is possible. And if the 80cm dish is capable to get Eutelsat.

Cheers.

You wont pick up anything with a Free View Receiver connected to a satellite dish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

scaller wrote: »
    You wont pick up anything with a Free View Receiver connected to a satellite dish

LOL!!!

:eek:Eeeehhh what do you mean I won't pick up anything with a Freeview from Lidl receiver. I got some help from the neighbour a Georgian guy, they have 2 dishes setup, and in a matter of minutes I had all the Russian and German channels I could want. :P

Sadly Russian I cannot speak. So yesterday evening, I tried to copy my Sky Dish, position and Direction, and with a little help of moving it slowly like a robot, I am now the happiest bugger in town with Astra 28.2*.

So, my dear friend scaller, it does work very well, and after confirming that even Russian and Georgian Satellites, are viewable, am pretty happy with it.

Though Sadly I found the Sat finder to be totally useless, you do need someone at the Telly and window, to check Signal Strength for you. Best, way for me anyway.

:confused::confused::confused:Now DISEqC Satellite Motor is my next challenge, with a Freesat box, that has recording facility!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Where can I go to read about the Motor, and it workings, anyone know....

By the way a BIG THANKS TO everyone for their replies. Will try the Eutelsat W7 at 36.0°E and get back to you, it's some African channels am after for my research. Will confirm about quality on an 80cm dish.:D

watty wrote: »
    www.lyngsat.com is good. Check out the footprints.

To get the weaker transponders you want 110cm dish.

For some feeds you might need larger.

Toward West of Ireland you are not likely to get
    Express AM-22, 53 east, 11616V, 2893, Al-Jamahirya TV-2
    Astra 1F, 51 east, 12167V, 27500, RTL Télé Letzebuerg
    Intelsat-12, 45 east, 11619V, 5786, Prima

Watty, for now will play around with this small one and see how far I can push it, and learn as much as possible.

The Mrs.:):) already loves it with the many channels, though she will miss Living TV, Virgin and SLY 1,2 or any that shows the recent American Sitcoms (Now on that point, do you know any channels or Satellites that do?)

Anyway as long as we are saving money, she's happy, as she really doesn't like sky with their high prices.

So any pointers on Football, channels or Satellites? Let me know.nd THANKS for the help.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Oh Skatman You are going to be so murdered by the experts in here!:eek:

I am off to get a FreeSat receiver to plug My Cable service into!!

Hey i might get as lucky as You!:D

ynotdu wrote: »
    Oh Skatman You are going to be so :confused:murdered:confused: by the experts in here!:eek:

I am off to get a FreeSat receiver to plug My Cable service into!!

Hey i might get as lucky as You!:D

Why I ask, OOhh what wrong have I done?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Skatman - Why I ask, OOhh what wrong have I done?

Nothing really bad :)

It's just a terminology thing. Maybe you already know the below.

"FreeView" receiver is used for the UK terrestrial service you pick up with an aerial (on the East coast and NI border only).

"FreeSat" receiver is used for the BBC/ITV Free satellite service with a EPG broadcast for the FreeSat box. One off payment for the box. No subscription.

"Free to Air" FTA receiver would be the Lidl receiver you have. Limited to now & next EPG on 28E. Some EPG 7 day data available on other channels on 19E etc
    Now DISEqC Satellite Motor is my next challenge, with a Freesat box, that has recording facility!!!!

The Humax Foxsat HDR has a hidden menu that you can access to setup driving a motor. Not sure if the other Freesat PVRs do.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Nothing really bad :)

It's just a terminology thing. Maybe you already know the below.

"FreeView" receiver is used for the UK terrestrial service you pick up with an aerial (on the East coast and NI border only).

"FreeSat" receiver is used for the BBC/ITV Free satellite service with a EPG broadcast for the FreeSat box. One off payment for the box. No subscription.

"Free to Air" FTA receiver would be the Lidl receiver you have. Limited to now & next EPG on 28E. Some EPG 7 day data available on other channels on 19E etc

The Humax Foxsat HDR has a hidden menu that you can access to setup driving a motor. Not sure if the other Freesat PVRs do.

Thanks MBSnr, to be honest I thought what I have was FreeView. But, am now the wiser, as for the Humax, I have been reading up on it, and I like. Though it seems to be expensive everywhere I look. even checked eBay. But, haven't given up just yet, and when i do take the plunge, am definitely going for a HD Recorder 1. With Twin Tuners, to watch 1 channel while recording the other. Am missing to many channels due to being away.Work wise.

Cheerrs

So, my dear friend scaller, it does work very well, and after confirming that even Russian and Georgian Satellites, are viewable, am pretty happy with it.

Well my new so called Friend Skatman you obviously did not read this thread from the start check my earlier post

Manc-Red wrote: »
    The satellite is receivable here, bu there are different beams on it.

If its football you want, (EPL) the beam isn't viewable here.

These are the channels available -> http://www.lyngsat.com/ew7.html

There is also Sub Sahara beam in the above so be wary - beam we can get is Called Eurasia.

Manc-Red, thanks for this, now am abit in a jam as the beam I wanted was the Sub-Sahara Africa beam, what happens in such a case? Does it mean that they broadcast different programs on this different Beams all on Eutelsat W7 at 36.0°E?

Anything possible to get the right beam am after? Or away round it?\

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Well my new so called Friend Skatman you obviously did not read this thread from the start check my earlier post

Sacaller, I now get you after reading the whole thread again. looks like at the time I was having a Blond moment, but, am happy to report that I have recovered.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Manc-Red, thanks for this, now am abit in a jam as the beam I wanted was the Sub-Sahara Africa beam, what happens in such a case? Does it mean that they broadcast different programs on this different Beams all on Eutelsat W7 at 36.0°E?

Anything possible to get the right beam am after? Or away round it?\

Cheers.

There is nothing on 36 east of interest to us here in Ireland. Its one of the sats ive deleted off my satellite list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Advertisement