Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Physics Option

Options
  • 03-03-2010 9:06pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering which option is everybody doing. We haven't started ours yet, but we are going to soon. The teacher isn't sure which one he wants to do yet. He says Particle Physics is the shortest but Applied Electricity is the easiest to teach.

I looked at the Chief Examiner's Reports from 2008, 2005 and 2002, and by a longshot, Particle Physics tends to be the better answered option.

Which one do you do?

Which option do you do? 26 votes

Particle Physics
    0%
    Applied Electricity
    88%
    AoibheannVordaciblubloblu[Deleted User]ciano1Conor108Rich1691clartharleargant0RexMundic0norruadhanH2studentalmostnevermercury127Kinky SlinkyMaking It BadTEMPLAR KNIGHTLiveitIronGirl92 23 votes
    Both
    11%
    Redlionirish_manDC09 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Applied Electricity
    we just finished particle physics. Meh, Its easy enough. It looks a way easier than electricity anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Just wondering which option is everybody doing. We haven't started ours yet, but we are going to soon. The teacher isn't sure which one he wants to do yet. He says Particle Physics is the shortest but Applied Electricity is the easiest to teach.

I looked at the Chief Examiner's Reports from 2008, 2005 and 2002, and by a longshot, Particle Physics tends to be the better answered option.

Which one do you do?
    Particle Physics may be the better answered option simply because of the calibre of students who usually take it. It's the same in HL maths, the very-rarely taken option always is the best-performed, just because of the quality of students who'd take such an option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Applied Electricity
    Well according to the chief examiner's report, electricity is avoided and not greatly answered by the students. So maybe doing the option on electricity will help you understand electricity better? (it is almost guaranteed to be 2-2.5 questions ,+1 if you do the option, in section B)

Note: by electricity, I'm including magnetism as well.

Me,I love particle physics. I find it short, interesting and easy :D
    (fav question in the whole paper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Applied Electricity
    Particle physics. :)<3 particle physics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Applied Electricity
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Particle Physics may be the better answered option simply because of the calibre of students who usually take it. It's the same in HL maths, the very-rarely taken option always is the best-performed, just because of the quality of students who'd take such an option...

I think that the vast majority do the particle physics option,though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Both
    I'm one of the few who do applied electricity
    its fairly hard and is about 20 pages long
    while particle physics is only bout 5 (in my book anyway)
    i went to the IOE to do particle physics and rest of course but i now think i will avoid the question all together

really everyone should do both.
    suppose that sounds hypocritical seeing I'm doing neither:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Applied Electricity
    i did particle physics for my lc in 2009 and loved it, was only the honours people that did it though

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

Both
    I was gonna do Applied Electricity, but after reading all this I might do Particle Physics... It's not going to come up for us for a while yet anyways (Our school is so ****ing slow:mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Applied Electricity
    We did applied electricity in school but it was really boring and I didn't like it so I'm doing particle physics on my own at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Applied Electricity
    I'm doing particle physics on my own since our teacher insists on doing electricity although most of the class hate it!!!particle is a lot easier in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Applied Electricity
    We're not even close to Particle Physics in our physics class,lucky i'm getting grinds in physics, i doubt we will even finish the course :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Applied Electricity
    Well we're nearly finished the course but we don't have a clue what's going on. We hope to absorb the information of the 2 years course at home ourselves :P
    Skipping the question altogether? o-O I wouldn't do that to a definite question...

Advertisement