Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some new rifles I built

Options
  • 03-03-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

First is an exact reproduction of Oswalds rifle
    The base Carcano is a Terni 1940, the same manufacturer and year of Oswald's
    The scope and mount are the same ones Oswald used also, a really crappy .22 style scope imported from Japan (4x18 branded '"Ordnance Optics Inc").
    The mount is a pressed piece of steel.
    It took me two years to find this
    I still need to get the correct jury rigged sling.

4396837702_3017e8a891_b.jpg

4396069251_e671528d61_o.jpg

4396069055_b9726810cc_o.jpg

4396838204_fde3e98843_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

4396069559_16e60f6a72_b.jpg

4396069441_af323b5713_b.jpg

Next up is a bullpup of an old semi auto, see if you can guess what the base action is:

3978866140_3596c1483a_b.jpg

3968687951_84dd91e72f_b.jpg

I've set up a nice VZ-58 clone (built up from a parts kit and receiver i milled)

4336167120_bf7184dd6b_o.jpg

And lastly a clone of an no4mkT enfield sniper:

3978101687_844ce3f912_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

whats your opinion of the carcano rifle ? any documentaries i have seen on the jfk assassination state it was rubbish and there were many other surplus rifles on the market at the time that were much more accurate, eg. the no.4 enfield or k98 , i believe the fact oswald bought the rifle mail order was the event that stopped firearms and components being sold mail order.

the enfield is a lovely rifle .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hmmm...Good one...Going by the muzzle break,with grenade launcher.
    I would tip a guess at somthing 7.62 NATO or Warsaw Pact 7.62X39 and of a Yougoslav/Czech AK design,as I think they were the only ones who had that kind of muzzle break /grenade launcher???
    Indeed the Carcano was rubbish,but either Oswald was a better shot than he was credited for,or one lucky SOB.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I have no idea what the original action is but its seems that the barrel is small- is it firing 22lr rounds?.. and will this help me with figuring out the original action?

Wow!! What talent stands before us!!:D

What material did you use to whittle the fore-wood and pistol grip from! and was it machined or cast/molded and then machined! Or was this also part of a kit! Love to know more about basic work with synthetic stock materials.

Forgive me if they're wood!

regards ivanthehunter

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    whats your opinion of the carcano rifle ? any documentaries i have seen on the jfk assassination state it was rubbish and there were many other surplus rifles on the market at the time that were much more accurate, eg. the no.4 enfield or k98 , i believe the fact oswald bought the rifle mail order was the event that stopped firearms and components being sold mail order.

the enfield is a lovely rifle .

Correct, Oswald ordered it from Kleins in Chicago under the psuedenom (sic)
    Alex Hiddel.
    The reason why the rifle was thought inaccurate was because back in the day some comerical ammo makers loaded it with .264 bullets.
    The mil spec stuff is .268 and I can shoot 2moa all day long with that diameter.
    FWIW though even with a loose bullet rattling down the bore, a headshot @ 70 yards isn't very hard, yeah the target was moving, but moving directly away from Oswald, so no "lead" was required

I have no idea what the original action is but its seems that the barrel is small- is it firing 22lr rounds?.. and will this help me with figuring out the original action?

Wow!! What talent stands before us!!:D

What material did you use to whittle the fore-wood and pistol grip from! and was it machined or cast/molded and then machined! Or was this also part of a kit! Love to know more about basic work with synthetic stock materials.

Forgive me if they're wood!

regards ivanthehunter

it was all CNCed out of plastic.
    The calibre is 7.62mm

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hmmm...Good one...Going by the muzzle break,with grenade launcher.
    I would tip a guess at somthing 7.62 NATO or Warsaw Pact 7.62X39 and of a Yougoslav/Czech AK design,as I think they were the only ones who had that kind of muzzle break /grenade launcher???
    Indeed the Carcano was rubbish,but either Oswald was a better shot than he was credited for,or one lucky SOB.

Good catch on the launcher.
    Its a warsaw pact rifle that was built to fire NATO grenades oddly enough!
    The country of origin has a long history of not really listening to Moscow.
    And it a completely different action than an AK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

harmoniums wrote: »
    Correct, Oswald ordered it from Kleins in Chicago under the psuedenom (sic)
    Alex Hiddel.
    The reason why the rifle was thought inaccurate was because back in the day some comerical ammo makers loaded it with .264 bullets.
    The mil spec stuff is .268 and I can shoot 2moa all day long with that diameter.
    FWIW though even with a loose bullet rattling down the bore, a headshot @ 70 yards isn't very hard, yeah the target was moving, but moving directly away from Oswald, so no "lead" was required

possibly , but i think if his backers were serious about assassinating the most famous and powerful man in the world at that time , they could do better than oswald and his $19.99 rifle and toy scope ! if he did do it which i doubt , he either must have had ice water in his veins or it was a very lucky shot.

your bullpup auto rifle looks very like the experimental bullpup that bsa were trying to sell to the british army back in the 50's .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Looks like a Yugo SKS M59/66.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Next up is a bullpup of an old semi auto, see if you can guess what the base action is:

SKS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

it was all CNCed out of plastic.
    The calibre is 7.62mm
    Shows you what i know about real guns:D

What type of plastic is used? If you don't mind telling me-please..

regards ith

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    Looks like a Yugo SKS M59/66.

Your are correct sir!

Advertisement