Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Internet tethering scam

Options
  • 03-03-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I got charged €186 to read the Irish Times and a few other news sites and to receive a few emails. Total 22mb of data. I was testing tethering on the train and assumed that it was part of my iPhone's data usage. Just checked my details online. I think need a drink!

I spoke to O2 who said I basically have to lie back and enjoy the fact that they charging an extortionate rate for this! I really considered asking them to cancel my account there and then. They informed me that I verbally agreed to another contract a week before and would be liable to a cancellation charge if I broke the terms. Again - feels like extortion.

With hind sight, I know it's naive to think that O2 wouldn't charge extra for something like this. They are a multinational company after all. But to be screwed like this is still sore. Lack of a warning here too is pretty underhanded.

I haven't the time to be battling with phone operators in O2, and I know they are just doing their job, a job I wouldn't relish in the slightest. I called one of them a robot at one stage. I'm not proud and I know it's not her fault... just O2's really unwise policy of ripping off unaware customers. How many other people are going to be charged an extortionate rate for simple data usage? It's absurd. I viewed that 22mb as a test run to see how much if at all I was to be charged extra for tethering. If online I saw a premium rate charge for €20 or even €50 it would have been realistic, but €186? I have had no issues with O2 before and have used them for years... briefly using Meteor but returning to them when the iPhone came out. I have been charged a whack for roaming in the past when in Italy and needed map info and emails urgently but had no problem paying these charges as I knew in advance they were going to be high. The tethering charge has come as a complete suprise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What charge is this exactly? Are the charge details on o2.ie somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

If you don't enable the internet tethering add-on (and set it up manually by replacing the APN settings), they have a 1c/kB charge -- see the O2 site for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

Can't believe you've missed the massive debates on this one .. it's been in lots of threads ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

On a sidenote ask them to produce the recording of you agreeing the 'verbal contract' :rolleyes:...if there is no recording tell them to shove it. They are banking on you accepting their bs and i know people that have been released from contracts with them after they rang up with the 'do you want to change your price plan so we can sneakily lock you into an 18 month renewal' bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

If you don't enable the internet tethering add-on (and set it up manually by replacing the APN settings), they have a 1c/kB charge

1c/kB, WOW, thats the worst i've heard of. Sneaky Bast**ds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

1c/kB, WOW, thats the worst i've heard of. Sneaky Bast**ds!

Accessing internet on your handset on meteor bill pay with no data add on: 2c/kb

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

bongi69 wrote: »
    Accessing internet on your handset on meteor bill pay with no data add on: 2c/kb

2c/kB, WOW, thats the worst i've heard of. Sneaky Bast**ds!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lrandc wrote: »
    I was testing tethering on the train and assumed that it was part of my iPhone's data usage.

So basically you assumed incorrectly,
    I could ASSUME I have free unlimited mobile and landline calls from my phone but I don't and if I check with my phone provider I can easily confirm this :)
    I have been charged a whack for roaming in the past when in Italy and needed map info and emails urgently but had no problem paying these charges as I knew in advance they were going to be high. The tethering charge has come as a complete suprise.

One can assume that previously you checked with O2 about what the roaming charges would be, so why didn't you check the charges before "testing" what you assumed you had?
    If you don't enable the internet tethering add-on (and set it up manually by replacing the APN settings), they have a 1c/kB charge -- see the O2 site for details.

Checking the O2 website instead of the irishtimes website may have been better use of your money....of course you could have easily checked this without tethering using your iPhone

Jaysoose wrote: »
    On a sidenote ask them to produce the recording of you agreeing the 'verbal contract' :rolleyes:...if there is no recording tell them to shove it. They are banking on you accepting their bs and i know people that have been released from contracts with them after they rang up with the 'do you want to change your price plan so we can sneakily lock you into an 18 month renewal' bull****.

Actually your plan doesn't hold much water,
    The op knowingly signed up to a package and under the distance selling act he has 7 day cooling off period, is he kept it on passed this then he agreed to the contract.

All O2's iPhone packages on bill pay come with a 18 month contract as do Vodafone's and it is very clearly advertised on their site and in their stores.
    2c/kB, WOW, thats the worst i've heard of. Sneaky Bast**ds!

Good god does anyone bother to look up charges before they use things?
    Meteor, O2 and Vodafone have been charging like that for data for years and years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

and assumed

Well, there's the problem right there. Never assume anything, you'll more than likely be wrong, and more importantly, it'll cost you money.
    I viewed that 22mb as a test run to see how much if at all I was to be charged extra for tethering.

That just takes the biscuit right there. Instead of looking up the charges, when you knew there may well be charges, you decided to run a test to see how much they'd charge you. That seems like you went into this knowing full well what you were doing, and you were not as unaware as you make out. The rate is high, but you went into this with your eyes open.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Good god does anyone bother to look up charges before they use things?

I honestly don't think they do. Since the very beginning of Internet on mobiles, the rates have always been very high. How anyone doesn't know this, or why anyone would use the phone's Internet connection without first checking exactly what the costs will be, is beyond me. Even my dad knows this, and he can't even send a text message.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

I'd have thought that this was a valid enough assumption.
    You are already paying x-amount a month for a phone package which includes a "data allowance". How you manage to use this data allowance really shouldn't matter. Any other phone would tether through the same APN and this extra charge wouldn't happen.

As a corollary, with your "free" minutes allowance is is valid to assume that calling using a bluetooth headset, rather than the handset, will come of this?

Have o2 made any effort to clearly inform existing iphone customers on this?

Its one thing to be ignorant about data charges. But having a "data allowance" and then charging separately for data is very sneaky.

As an aside, I think the potential for getting data massive bills is insane. The operators really should be enforced to at least make customers aware when they hit €50 in charges or something. They're almost as bad as any "premium rate" text service in this regard.

• Advertisement

Actually just checked the o2 iphone site and they say the contract includes "Data included: Unlimited Mobile Internet Browsing" and in the small print "This feature is for handset use only and subject to fair use threshold. This feature is not suitable for usage when tethering/using your iPhone as a modem. "

.. which is fair enough I guess.

Question is, did they inform existing customers of this?
    I'm pretty sure originally it would have just said "Data included: 1gb" or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Step 1: jailbreak iphone
    Step 2: install this: http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html
    Step 3: Profit (for you that is, not O2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

jor el wrote: »

I honestly don't think they do. Since the very beginning of Internet on mobiles, the rates have always been very high. How anyone doesn't know this, or why anyone would use the phone's Internet connection without first checking exactly what the costs will be, is beyond me. Even my dad knows this, and he can't even send a text message.

Actually you can get a deal where O2 allows you to download almost as much data as you can use in a day for 1 euro per day. Its reasonable to suggest that other contracts wouldn't be too much more, certainly not as much as the OP suggested.

Step 1: jailbreak iphone
    Step 2: install this: http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html
    Step 3: Profit (for you that is, not O2)

Thats a great looking app. Have you actually tried it? What its like in real world use?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You are already paying x-amount a month for a phone package which includes a "data allowance".

The datas allowance is for your iPhone not for additional devices connected to it
    How you manage to use this data allowance really shouldn't matter. Any other phone would tether through the same APN and this extra charge wouldn't happen.

Use of the data does matter though, no mobile provider wants mobile phones to replace the "Mobile Broadband" products which they offer seperately.

In addition if everyone started using their 3G mobile as a modem for their laptop O2's network would turn to ****e very very quickly. Its nothing specific to O2 its down to the technology used and would apply outside of Ireland and other providers.
    As a corollary, with your "free" minutes allowance is is valid to assume that calling using a bluetooth headset, rather than the handset, will come of this?

Not really the same thing, we're talking about data usage which all costs money, the more you use the more it costs the provider.

Neither the free minutes and unlimited bundles are really truely unlimited eiether.
    Have o2 made any effort to clearly inform existing iphone customers on this?

You could also argue do customer even attempt to find out this information before assuming something incorrectly? In this case its very clear the OP did not attempt to and knowingly tested it to see.
    Actually you can get a deal where O2 allows you to download almost as much data as you can use in a day for 1 euro per day. Its reasonable to suggest that other contracts wouldn't be too much more, certainly not as much as the OP suggested.

Thats open to debate, what you'd consider enough data for your use in one day and what another person may consider enough data is very changable. If you maxed out your "Unlimited" package day in day out O2 would quickly be notifying you.

Assume that because one plan is charged one way all plans are charged the same is an extremely foolish way to go about things.

Its an incredible difference though. What the OP did would cost one euro with one plan; 182 euro with another plan. I agree it was foolish not to check out the prices but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Thats a great looking app. Have you actually tried it? What its like in real world use?

No not used it myself but a mate here told me about it - he's waiting to get the internet into his new apartment and has been using this.

He says you just switch it on and it appears as a wifi connection on your laptop. Connect as usual and you get downloads @ about 225 kbps on 3G.

One problem with it though is it drops the connection when you take an incoming call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They allow you to download 32GB a day, for €1? I somehow doubt that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I used to use my iphone tethering to my Mac no problem last year. no extra charges, then It stopped working so I suppose they realised it could be a money spinner for them.

jor el wrote: »
    They allow you to download 32GB a day, for €1? I somehow doubt that is the case.

Yeah I didn't put much thought into that sentence. I meant as much as a typical phone internet user not tethering. Anyway it is way more than the amount the OP used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

I spoke to O2 who said I basically have to lie back and enjoy the fact that they charging an extortionate rate for this!
    funny choice of words "enjoy the fact that they charging an extortionate rate" That's the distinct impression I got from them too. The know they've robbed your wages and it's as though they're sitting there smug laughing at you "ha ha ha what are you going to do about it?"

I haven't the time to be battling with phone operators in O2, and I know they are just doing their job, a job I wouldn't relish in the slightest. I called one of them a robot at one stage. I'm not proud and I know it's not her fault... just O2's really unwise policy of ripping off unaware customers.

Sounds like you got through to Mary, doing her job. Just fobbing you off, letting you rant it all out until you come to the realisation that they blagged you and got away yet again scott-free.

Your next step is to wait for an official representative/ brainwashed minion that looks like Jedward (seriously) to turn up here and appear as though he's going to helpful by bringing it over to the O2 Forum.
    As you consider if you have time for this bs an "unofficial" O2 representative will tell you that's the way to go "they'll look after ya"
    You'll sign up and there they'll do an online version of Mary's work, deleting your text, antagonising you, taking your words out of context, telling lies about you, and ultimately banning you.

Then when you really have hind sight you'll consider what organised sneaky bastards they truly are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - It's a dispicable company to deal with.

Welcome to the O2 Experience.

Thanks for sharing, O2 thrive on isolating and stamping out these complaint fires.

:)
    Bosshogg wrote: »
    funny choice of words "enjoy the fact that they charging an extortionate rate" That's the distinct impression I got from them too. The know they've robbed your wages and it's as though they're sitting there smug laughing at you "ha ha ha what are you going to do about it?"

Sounds like you got through to Mary, doing her job. Just fobbing you off, letting you rant it all out until you come to the realisation that they blagged you and got away yet again scott-free.

Your next step is to wait for an official representative/ brainwashed minion that looks like Jedward (seriously) to turn up here and appear as though he's going to helpful by bringing it over to the O2 Forum.
    As you consider if you have time for this bs an "unofficial" O2 representative will tell you that's the way to go "they'll look after ya"
    You'll sign up and there they'll do an online version of Mary's work, deleting your text, antagonising you, taking your words out of context, telling lies about you, and ultimately banning you.

Then when you really have hind sight you'll consider what organised sneaky bastards they truly are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - It's a dispicable company to deal with.

Welcome to the O2 Experience.

Thanks for sharing, O2 thrive on isolating and stamping out these complaint fires.

If you were ranting like this on their forum and calling their staff names like Jedward and Bastard, I'm not surprised they banned you .. I assume you've moved to Vodafone now after all this messing ?

anneboleyn wrote: »
    If you were ranting like this on their forum and calling their staff names like Jedward and Bastard, I'm not surprised they banned you ..
    Well Anne hopefully this ranting will save a few people's pockets from another O2 raid. No I never called them "bastard" on their forum. <mod edit>Please don't bring personal insults or actual images of the people you are angry with....tut tut!!!!</mod edit>

Funny how first the blame always goes on to the little guy who's already been injured. When someone starts shouting people always say "calm down" instead of "who made you angry?"...or... "you should have read your contract you dope" instead of "wow those bastards really screwed you over"

I was never rude to anyone on their forum but O2 Nazi Customer Care were rude to me. Initially I was banned for allegedly "insulting a staff member". When I asked via email to have this pointed out to me it was changed to "using bad language on the forum". Needless to say I asked again and got no written response but my ban was increased to "banned permanently no reason given". Now Anne if you'd like to toddle of over there and find the infraction for me I'd appreciated that because right now I'm not getting any customer support from O2 at all.
    I think they just don't like me for some reason. And if you do find one I'd have to say Talk202_Daryll was at it again editing my text to his own liking. << That's why they like to get you off boards.ie and onto the forums they control.

If I call and wait for like 20mins they hang up on me and I'm only ever nice to them. I ask them to call me back "in case I get cut off accidentally" but guess what "They can't call you back" <- A phone company that can't call it's customer. That's a sample of the messing the customer around that I mentioned.
    When you ask for a breakdown of your usage guess what?.. They can't give it to you.

The brain washed people that work for O2 have more pride in their dispicable company than their own country and people. To put one in for O2, to support or condone what's going on there at anytime and never mind the state of people's finances already in today's economy is just plain wrong. And there are some people on here doing just that, and I do wonder what's in it for them.
    I assume you've moved to Vodafone now after all this messing ?

I paid €1003 for 3 months internet so O2 don't want to get rid of me. I'm such a good customer of theirs that they said I'd have to pay €186 to get away from them, truly taking the piss at this point.

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Well Anne hopefully this ranting will save a few people's pockets from another O2 raid. No I never called them "bastard" on their forum. <mod edit>Please don't bring personal insults or actual images of the people you are angry with....tut tut!!!!</mod edit>

Funny how first the blame always goes on to the little guy who's already been injured. When someone starts shouting people always say "calm down" instead of "who made you angry?"...or... "you should have read your contract you dope" instead of "wow those bastards really screwed you over"

I was never rude to anyone on their forum but O2 Nazi Customer Care were rude to me. Initially I was banned for allegedly "insulting a staff member". When I asked via email to have this pointed out to me it was changed to "using bad language on the forum". Needless to say I asked again and got no written response but my ban was increased to "banned permanently no reason given". Now Anne if you'd like to toddle of over there and find the infraction for me I'd appreciated that because right now I'm not getting any customer support from O2 at all.
    I think they just don't like me for some reason. And if you do find one I'd have to say Talk202_Daryll was at it again editing my text to his own liking. << That's why they like to get you off boards.ie and onto the forums they control.

If I call and wait for like 20mins they hang up on me and I'm only ever nice to them. I ask them to call me back "in case I get cut off accidentally" but guess what "They can't call you back" <- A phone company that can't call it's customer. That's a sample of the messing the customer around that I mentioned.
    When you ask for a breakdown of your usage guess what?.. They can't give it to you.

The brain washed people that work for O2 have more pride in their dispicable company than their own country and people. To put one in for O2, to support or condone what's going on there at anytime and never mind the state of people's finances already in today's economy is just plain wrong. And there are some people on here doing just that, and I do wonder what's in it for them.

I paid €1003 for 3 months internet so O2 don't want to get rid of me. I'm such a good customer of theirs that they said I'd have to pay €186 to get away from them, truly taking the piss at this point.

mmmm , you've clearly had a bad time with them , but I think you're a bit mean :( posting a picture of a real ( assume he is real?) person, that's a bit personal when you're angry with the company..

why don't you just walk anyway ? will cost them more to chase you for €186 than it's worth I'm sure... got to be better than wasting your energy on them, let them waste energy chasing you :D

mmmm , you've clearly had a bad time with them , but I think you're a bit mean :( posting a picture of a real ( assume he is real?) person, that's a bit personal when you're angry with the company..

why don't you just walk anyway ? will cost them more to chase you for €186 than it's worth I'm sure... got to be better than wasting your energy on them, let them waste energy chasing you :D

Well the pic is on the internet and in the public domain so I didn't post it, just a link to it, anyway if it's not ok with boards.ie then that's cool. I assume he is real dispite the robot personality.

hm why don't I just walk away. Well first of all they're dipping my credit card. Second of all that's what everyone does and so they keep the money and keep on scamming. Third, I want value for my €1003, I want them busy busy busy. (keep watching me like a hawk there lads I've plenty more to keep you occupied hehe)
    However most of all I want legislation to stop this bad practise so we can use the Internet for all it's worth without feeling tense like in the early days of using a phone.

My wife won't use the O2 connection anymore now. So what did they take from her more than taking money?

Advertisement