Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me what you think of my Fabolous idea!

• 03-03-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

I wanted to start a thread to tap into the wealth of creative genius that is C&H, so if you've ever had a good idea and want to share it, hopefully this will become the place to do it :)
    yesterday i had an idea for an 'anti-cafe' i.e. a cafe where there is no onus on young people to actually BUY BUY BUY!!!! like you get in the coffe shops/warm seated places in dublin these days, maybe that's imagined but i seem to get it anyway
    But enough about me, Tell me about your Fabolous Ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Imagine having a jet-pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

jjrg2020 wrote: »
    I wanted to start a thread to tap into the wealth of creative genius that is C&H, so if you've ever had a good idea and want to share it, hopefully this will become the place to do it :)
    yesterday i had an idea for an 'anti-cafe' i.e. a cafe where there is no onus on young people to actually BUY BUY BUY!!!! like you get in the coffe shops/warm seated places in dublin these days, maybe that's imagined but i seem to get it anyway
    But enough about me, Tell me about your Fabolous Ideas!
    These anti-cafe's actually exist in most places outside Dublin, where you can sit down, buy one coffee, and the seat is pretty much yours for the day if you so wish.

jumpguy wrote: »
    These anti-cafe's actually exist in most places outside Dublin, where you can sit down, buy one coffee, and the seat is pretty much yours for the day if you so wish.

Most cafes are like that where i know :P

Most cafes are like that where i know :P
    Your answer is ambiguous (<3 that word), d'you mean most are like the "anti-cafes" or the regular cafes (the ones where you must buy stuff)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't like sitting in cafés ... Life's too short for stuff like that.

• Advertisement

Your answer is ambiguous (<3 that word), d'you mean most are like the "anti-cafes" or the regular cafes (the ones where you must buy stuff)?

where you buy like one coffee and can have that seat for the rest of the day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Book Center in Wexford has a coffee place upstairs.
    You can go in, pick up a book off the shelf and sit there reading it all day without ever buying anything (There's actually a sign saying you should feel free to just sit and read any book you want).
    Maybe they'd kick you out if it got too busy but I've never been there when it was packed.

M&S* wrote: »
    I don't like sitting in cafés ... Life's too short for stuff like that.
    Yes, why sit and relax in a café when you can be on boards? :P
    where you buy like one coffee and can have that seat for the rest of the day :P
    Woohoo! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Woohoo! :pac:
    Yes my point exactly!

well if you had boards mobile....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Book Center in Wexford has a coffee place upstairs.
    You can go in, pick up a book off the shelf and sit there reading it all day without ever buying anything (There's actually a sign saying you should feel free to just sit and read any book you want).
    Maybe they'd kick you out if it got too busy but I've never been there when it was packed.
    Same with Waterford, and the Waterford one also sells the nicest belgium chocolate ever iswell :)

Errm I dont get the idea tbh. Isnt that just a cafe? But why would you go to a cafe not to have food/a drink? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

How about...

Wait for it...

Gonna blow your mind...

An anti-café with free internet (and hence boards) access? :eek:

/blowing all your minds.

Hotaru wrote: »
    How about...

Wait for it...

Gonna blow your mind...

/blowing all your minds.
    My mind was already shaky and weak from soccy's boards mobile idea, but now this has totally blown it outta the park. It's so simple. A café with internet access (and hence, boards!) and failing that, boards mobile! :eek:

Boards is everywhere now. Is it watching you? Yes it is. It knows you. It's your stalker. You better hope it doesn't become an evil AI alien robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Boards is everywhere now. Is it watching you? Yes it is. It knows you. It's your stalker. You better hope it doesn't become an evil AI alien robot.

Big-Brother-is-Watching-You-Poster-Card-C10204521.jpeg

A café with internet access :eek:

I haven't tested this out, but I assumed somewhere big like Dublin would be just full of unprotected wireless access points. Or points "secured" with WEP lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I haven't tested this out, but I assumed somewhere big like Dublin would be just full of unprotected wireless access points. Or points "secured" with WEP lol

It is.

WEP comes default on alot of modems still, it's shocking. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jjrg2020

hmm, well, to put it into perspective, i did come up with this idea while walking through town in the cold with my girlfriend, so i think that explains the root idea, more of a warm social place than a sit and relax on your own place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

jjrg2020 wrote: »
    hmm, well, to put it into perspective, i did come up with this idea while walking through town in the cold with my girlfriend, so i think that explains the root idea, more of a warm social place than a sit and relax on your own place

Nice idea but you probably wouldn't make any money out of it. Well you might but no more than if it were a normal café. Any increase in customers you get would be offset by the fact that they won't be buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Hotaru wrote: »
    How about...

Wait for it...

Gonna blow your mind...

/blowing all your minds.

576449.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice idea but you probably wouldn't make any money out of it. Well you might but no more than if it were a normal café. Any increase in customers you get would be offset by the fact that they won't be buying anything.

Well I'd imagine you might get some people going in, not initially buying anything and then getting hungry/thirsty while in there.
    Or if you get regular people in there they might not buy something every time but a lot of the time they would, and would prefer your café?

Also if there's free wi-fi that'd be a plus as well.

Well I'd imagine you might get some people going in, not initially buying anything and then getting hungry/thirsty while in there.
    Or if you get regular people in there they might not buy something every time but a lot of the time they would, and would prefer your café?

Also if there's free wi-fi that'd be a plus as well.

Hush. Can't you see I'm trying to crush his dreams.

Hush. Can't you see I'm trying to crush his dreams.

Well he's 15 now, it'll be a good few years before he could attempt it anyway, I assume if he does eventually go through with it it'd be based on more than the opinion of some guys on Boards :P.

Well he's 15 now, it'll be a good few years before he could attempt it anyway, I assume if he does eventually go through with it it'd be based on more than the opinion of some guys on Boards :P.

Yes but the seed of doubt has been sown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Imagine having a jet-pack.

That is one of the most bizarre first replies to a thread I've ever seen in C&H. Well done! :D

That is one of the most bizarre first replies to a thread I've ever seen in C&H. Well done! :D

But but but... All the spy movies seem to have jetpacks in them for years now. Yet they can't make these amazing inventions available to the public :(.

But thank you anyways Knifey. I may be bizarre but I also do speak some truth :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This "fabolous" idea... Is it anything like a fabulous idea?

Advertisement