Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yeah just heard hes gone.

Congrulations Limerick All ireland Champions within two years and with the greatest respect ,if ye dnt win under Ger,ye havent much hope if ever winining it.

Like i posted here ,he named as a cork selector n website wasnt worth ink it was printed on.It meant nothing.

Hes dead right to go to limerick,you dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

I was told last wk that he would of been appointed by the end of that wk.

Thats the only thing im suprised about,the delay.Expect cusack to follow.Maybee that delayed it,cusack has lot of commiments,at camoige all stars sat nigh.

Great day for limerick and the loss to cork cant be underestimatedg

I

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cunningham + Cusack + TJ is being rumoured. That would be interesting...

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Their will be a comprise a token appointment and ryan fits bill keep likes tom ryan a so called great manager happy a limerick man is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oldfullforward

Yes that certainly sounds like a management team I'd be happy with... TJ would surely learn a lot from working with them

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Great coach with loads of experience + former top player with huge tactical nous + token Limerick man. Perfect set up.

I do hope Cusack comes too. The game is really moving on and Cusack is a guy that could match Davy and Kinnerk for the amount of thought he puts into the game. I hope Kiely is kept as a selector for the future.

Has TJ not already been confirmed as 21s manager for next year also?

Is there an intermediate management already appointed?

• Advertisement

Great coach with loads of experience + former top player with huge tactical nous + token Limerick man. Perfect set up.

I do hope Cusack comes too. The game is really moving on and Cusack is a guy that could match Davy and Kinnerk for the amount of thought he puts into the game. I hope Kiely is kept as a selector for the future.

Has TJ not already been confirmed as 21s manager for next year also?

Is there an intermediate management already appointed?

I heard that he was deliberately not appointed U-21 manager, as in it looks like there's a spot for him somewhere.

Didn't hear anything about intermediate though. But I would love for Kinnerk to be involved... he's a skills coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Hard to see Cusack giving up all his current interests e.g. tv pundit, GPA, GAA.ie column!!!

Grats wrote: »
    Hard to see Cusack giving up all his current interests e.g. tv pundit, GPA, GAA.ie column!!!

I'd say he'd be well-compensated tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I heard that he was deliberately not appointed U-21 manager, as in it looks like there's a spot for him somewhere.

Didn't hear anything about intermediate though. But I would love for Kinnerk to be involved... he's a skills coach?

Kinnerk will be staying with Clare I'm sure. No reason why TJ couldn't be u21 manager and a selector, same with whoever is intermediate manager. Hopefully the senior players from the 21s are a bit better managed this year.

Kinnerk will be staying with Clare I'm sure. No reason why TJ couldn't be u21 manager and a selector, same with whoever is intermediate manager. Hopefully the senior players from the 21s are a bit better managed this year.

A bit of continuity would be good alright, seems to have paid dividends with the Cavan footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd say he'd be well-compensated tbh.

Those roles mentioned like tv,punditry,media work will always be there for him.You only have to look at Loughnane being welcomed back after Galway to realise that.

Cusack's legacy will ensure hes well looked after in the future.

I sense that he wants a coaching role and Limerick is his best hope for another year or 2.Clare and Waterford are settled and there is no chance Cork would want him after the strikes.I hope he's with Limerick next year.

Kinnerk realistically wont be an option till at least 2016 i'd say.He's invested a lot of time with Clare so lots more to come from that project.Another all ireland with clare and he'll add more value to his name!

I'll only be happy with TJ Ryan if either Cunningham or Cusack are with him.The 21's that night in Thurles were atrocious in the first half against Tipp back in May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

shockframe wrote: »
    I'll only be happy with TJ Ryan if either Cunningham or Cusack are with him.The 21's that night in Thurles were atrocious in the first half against Tipp back in May.

At least TJ has put himself up there to be shot at, what has Cusack ever done in a coaching sense? I don't think we should be a testing ground for a total novice, we should be aiming higher than that. We are the Munster champions after all, we deserve someone who's already shown what they can do at a lower level.

So, just assuming that Cunningham takes over... I wonder how long he's known? Was he at the county final? Or the semi-finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it has to be cunningham now surely???

i would be dissapointed with the county board if i was a limerick supporter the fact they didnt try to break the bank for someone like liam sheedy is beyond me!!!

he was on the sideline on sunday as part of newmarket's back room staff against ballyea and you could tell. keeping tony kelly scoreless from play .
    also ballyea were the back bone of the clare u21 team this year with several players playing a major part in both senior and u21 all irelands, and yet they didnt get a sniff all day

for a team to be as affective as that it would have taking someone like sheedys infulance, considering there only intercounty player was colin ryan

imagine what he could achive with limerick next year, on the back of the year ye just had he would have been ideal

while there is nothing wrong with cunningham for some reason i think the county board will cause some level of controversy in maybe the anouncement of selectors ect... that might not be to everyone's liking

if they could get someone like sheedy even to play a simular part as his roll in newmarket it would make for a very interesting year down ye'r side of the shannon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Sheedy was the first choice, they approached him and spoke to him, and I don't doubt that they in all likelihood tried to "break the bank" for him.

But here's the bit you don't seem to get; we can't make someone do the job if they don't want to do it; Sheedy made it clear that the only county he ever wants to manage is Tipperary. That's not the boards fault!

The board had an agreement with O'Grady but he changed his mind a day later, I believe due to dissatisfaction with the selectors he would have had to work with. Should the CB not leave it up to the manager to pick his own back room team...

Choice 1 was Allen remaining. Choice2 was Sheedy. Choice 3 was O'Grady again. Choice 4 appears to have been Cunningham. So they attempted to lure the most recent All-Ireland winners bar Cody and Davy Fitz who weren't exactly in the running!

At least TJ has put himself up there to be shot at, what has Cusack ever done in a coaching sense? I don't think we should be a testing ground for a total novice, we should be aiming higher than that. We are the Munster champions after all, we deserve someone who's already shown what they can do at a lower level.

That is exactly my question too - what has Cusack done/achieved in a coaching role. Most good coaches start with underage with their clubs and follow it through to County. What has he contributed to underage in club or county. There's a hell of a difference between talking hurling and coaching hurling. Ger C has a proven track record, Cusack doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I'm happy with cunningham as a coach. His insistence on Donal og means he needs him to do a job that cunningham himself cant. My guess is this is dealing with the media. From what i hear cunningham is a timid enough character to an extent, i think donal og is being brought along as a mouth organ. Or else cunningham is a top coach but not a great tactician, this would give me cause for concern as im not convinced by donal og by any means.

Adding TJ into this mix is just a recipe for disaster methinks.

Overall, i think it might improve on last year in terms of coaching, but it has potential to destabilise pretty quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Ye are hard to please up there in Limerick :)

Ye have just got an excellent manager!

He is smart, organised and meticulous. Also very very hard working. He is retired from his job so will have 100% of his time to give.

I'm happy with cunningham as a coach. His insistence on Donal og means he needs him to do a job that cunningham himself cant. My guess is this is dealing with the media. From what i hear cunningham is a timid enough character to an extent, i think donal og is being brought along as a mouth organ. Or else cunningham is a top coach but not a great tactician, this would give me cause for concern as im not convinced by donal og by any means.

Adding TJ into this mix is just a recipe for disaster methinks.

Overall, i think it might improve on last year in terms of coaching, but it has potential to destabilise pretty quick.

Complete nonense regarding cusack.Cunnigham institence on cusack is more so in that he knows what cusack can bring to the table and he wants top men like cusack that are an avid thinker bout the game,and will challenge him and the players and isnt a yes man.If he goes to limkerick,he is not going to win and glorfiy a munster title as job done,he wants an all ireland.Cusack is the same.

Ger wants a top class coach.He has it

Cunnigham is shy in that he prefers to stay away from the media,but as shown on tg4 a few weeks back,he is well able to communicate.

He never done it at cork as seanie mcgrath,is a media darling,and cork were right,let seanie talk to them,Ger works on the ptich.

Cunnighan is a top coach,shrewd tactian,and players respect him.

Cusack has been involved in many hurling projects down the years,he devised himself, and coached cloyne to three countys in a row,while still playing.He was the only expert to say two years ago,that the way to beat kk,was away from physicality,and fast open hurling.

He is up their with Davy in the time he spends thinking about the game and new ideas.

He is top drawer.

Limerick are never happy with the greatest respect.Ye dont like it when people crticised Allen ,and he showed all last year he was found wanting on the line in big games,yet with cunnigham ,a man proven ,in that he coached two different styles to two different teams ,and also ballygunner to success and beaten to a munster club by an excellent newtown team,and also great success at ucc,ye doubt he's credentials.

As for TJ if its a token gesture and to develop him for the future its a shrewd move,and keeps everyone happy.

Complete nonense regarding cusack.Cunnigham institence on cusack is more so in that he knows what cusack can bring to the table and he wants top men like cusack that are an avid thinker bout the game,and will challenge him and the players and isnt a yes man.If he goes to limkerick,he is not going to win and glorfiy a munster title as job done,he wants an all ireland.Cusack is the same.

Ger wants a top class coach.He has it

Cunnigham is shy in that he prefers to stay away from the media,but as shown on tg4 a few weeks back,he is well able to communicate.

He never done it at cork as seanie mcgrath,is a media darling,and cork were right,let seanie talk to them,Ger works on the ptich.

Cunnighan is a top coach,shrewd tactian,and players respect him.

Cusack has been involved in many hurling projects down the years,he devised himself, and coached cloyne to three countys in a row,while still playing.He was the only expert to say two years ago,that the way to beat kk,was away from physicality,and fast open hurling.

He is up their with Davy in the time he spends thinking about the game and new ideas.

He is top drawer.

Limerick are never happy with the greatest respect.Ye dont like it when people crticised Allen ,and he showed all last year he was found wanting on the line in big games,yet with cunnigham ,a man proven ,in that he coached two different styles to two different teams ,and also ballygunner to success and beaten to a munster club by an excellent newtown team,and also great success at ucc,ye doubt he's credentials.

As for TJ if its a token gesture and to develop him for the future its a shrewd move,and keeps everyone happy.

I havent questioned cunningham's ability as a coach and have said im happy with his selection. Im not sure about cusack is all ive said, am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage.
    As for selectors lets just wait and see, you are completely underestimating our ability to fcuk this up.

• Advertisement

Well if one of Cusack's main achievements to date is - He was the only expert to say two years ago,that the way to beat kk,was away from physicality,and fast open hurling - it ain't saying much for him. Experts were saying that for years and in truth it had to come to pass some day. Kilkenny were challenged in every way - physically and with fast open hurling - over the years and were finally caught by - don't forget - Dublin, ran close by Waterford and beaten finally by Cork. They had their own hard luck with injuries and poor referring decisions - I don't think Cusack could have foreseen that!!!!

As I said Ger C has the credentials, Cusack has a lot to prove yet. Many good men have coached club teams to glory, Cusack has done very little more than that. If he does get the chance with Limerick it should be a great learning opportunity for him.

I dont think anyone ever got the better of that kilkenny team, they simply reached the end of the road, but thats another story.

Edit: except tipp in 2010/2011 but those were two of the greatest games ever its not like KK were vanquished,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I dont think anyone ever got the better of that kilkenny team, they simply reached the end of the road, but thats another story.

Edit: except tipp in 2010/2011 but those were two of the greatest games ever its not like KK were vanquished,

Totally agree with this. THAT Kilkenny team was fantastic and as mentioned, only Tipp beat them after a fantastic final. Without Shefflin at his peak, richie power at his best (I'm adamant that he has gone downhill ever since their game against Limerick last year where he missed a load of easy frees), eoin larkin on form among others, Kilkenny were there for the taking and the sending off of Henry contributed to the demise of Kilkenny this year.

Don't worry, they'll be back. Maybe not as good as THAT team and they won't be winning an all ireland every year but sure what's bad for them is good for the championship.

I suppose everyone will tip Clare due to their youth but i can't see them winning 3 in a rows a la the great Cork and Kilkenny teams. Limerick, under a good management and fitness team, will match any team in today's championship so bring on 2014!!

In fairness, it's hard to judge how much input a particular coach has on the overall setup, and how much they make a particular manager look good, or whether it is the manager's own ingenuity.

I remember people doubting Liam Sheedy, saying that Tipp's AI win was all Eamonn O'Shea..... but now everything Sheedy touches turns to gold, and Tipp didn't have a great year under O'Shea.

I hope Cunningham is a good appointment, but I doubt much Limerick people know how good a coach he really is.... it's hard to say whether he'll be a good manager. But he has a track record in coaching, is very highly-respected, so we'd have to be optimistic.

Hopefully he has big ambitions, can get the best out of our players!

(This is all assuming he is appointed, but he hasn't been yet...... and I don't want to get my hopes up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ger Cunningham.... he the new messiah now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

dzilla wrote: »
    Ger Cunningham.... he the new messiah now?
    Have you got an opinion or is this just yet more of your "subtle" trolling you've been doing on this thread for a few years now?

Special County Board meeting in Claughaun on Thursday, at 8 o clock to ratify both hurling and football management.

Finally, the wait is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Special County Board meeting in Claughaun on Thursday, at 8 o clock to ratify both hurling and football management.

Finally, the wait is over.

Thank f**k for that!

Best of luck to the management team whoever they are!
    I heard very strong rumours its TJ.
    Wouldn't be my first choice but if it is him we just have to get behind him! If its not him it could be anyone.
    Only person I see rule himself out was Donal og on twitter.
    Have not seen quotes from anybody else declaring they are not interested.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Have you got an opinion or is this just yet more of your "subtle" trolling you've been doing on this thread for a few years now?

Hope hes good. Would like to see Limerick win a few more all Irelands next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dzilla wrote: »
    Hope hes good. Would like to see Limerick win a few more all Irelands next year

haha bad form bud :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement