Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Leo O'Connor appointed Mayo manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Adrian breen I have seen with ucc,and is a fine talent ,played in the senior championship,can win hes own ball but can unlike some of the present lads,cadm score,he got 1-3 in the munster final against crusheen two years ago.

Very much rated in ucc,made a good impact of the bench in the fitzibbon final.

Ronan and cian lynch are going to be awesome.Had the joy of watching them tonight,limerick minors beat mary I interemeditaes 8-24 to 1-9 in a challenge match.

Cregan been involved with both,it was a double up view for him.Cant read much in to these games,mary I were poor,but at the rame time limerick were ruthless,clinical,first touch super for this time of the year and they had a game plan,like last year move the ball at pace.

Early yet but with around ten from last year and the shrewd eammon cregan(joy to watch ,hes coaching of young lads,basic skills ,top class)i would say ye would beat tipp.By all accounts tipperary with liam cahill be strong,but this is a very very good limerick team.

All of the big guns were out tonight,la touche cosgrave,morrisey(very sharp)ronan lynch was at midfield,cian lynch at ten was majesic,and barry nash got a very very good goal and nice points.

I saw brian fanning(name may be wrong,as he has brother also and could be confusing them, the other brother plays hurling,but is line for the irish youth rubgy squad) back hurling tonight.He was centre back,very good hurler.He played rubgy like the brother and didnt play last year.

He is a good addition.

I hope cork and limerick meet in the semifinal and when they met at u16 two years ago it was a cracking match.

Ronan Lynch- Munster Minor Player of the Year.

Surprised he got it over Bennett tbh.

And Diarmuid Sheehy has been put in charge of the U-21 footballers. Was a good player, don't know much about his management credentials tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Fireball07 wrote: »
    And Diarmuid Sheehy has been put in charge of the U-21 footballers. Was a good player, don't know much about his management credentials tbh.

We can be sure of one thing with Sheehy anyway, he will give it 100% just as he did every day he wore the green. Always had a great time for him and hope this works out well for him. He played at centre back last year on the Cappamore team that won the junior but lost to a strong Kenmare side in the Munster final in Mallow. Don't know if he lined out this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Lads trying to recall a match

It was the day TJ got the record for the number of caps, think it was in thurles. He should never have started that day, donie ryan was on the bench that day should have been on instead. year and team we played please?!?!

Lads trying to recall a match

It was the day TJ got the record for the number of caps, think it was in thurles. He should never have started that day, donie ryan was on the bench that day should have been on instead. year and team we played please?!?!
    All ireland quater final in thurles 2006 against us when we won by a point and were haunted to do so.

I wouldnt rate donie ryan over tj do.A lot of cork fans would rather he played as the rock ,etc would fear tj,than donie any day of the week.Donie lacked the temparment.

Chance fell to tj in the last 5 mins, donie would have buried it.

thought the 2006 game was the ne where albert dropped the ball, not sure we're n about the same game

Chance fell to tj in the last 5 mins, donie would have buried it.

thought the 2006 game was the ne where albert dropped the ball, not sure we're n
    about the same game
    That was ryans 40th game and donie was on the bench.
    Mabee it is another game.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

TJ's last (40th) game was the quarter final v Cork, he started at wing forward and Donie actually started in midfield that day, he was eventually taken off to be replaced by Donal O'Grady.

Donie started all games in 2006, TJ started every other game at full back, except for the Cusack Park disaster in Ennis, which he was fortunate enough to have no involvement at all in.

Also, TJ never held the record for most appearances, Timmy Ryan held the record (45) from 1946 until 2009 when Mark Foley set a new record of 47.

What can I say, the 00's were a blur:D

he should not have started that game from what I remember (he only got the start because it was the 40th) and donie should have been closer to the goal or I could be all wrong, was an awful loss any which way.

What can I say, the 00's were a blur:D

A decade best forgotten for us! Were it not for the back door it would be contender for Limerick's worst ever decade. Imagine how many appearances Timmy Ryan would have made had the backdoor existed in the 1930/40's? And had in not existed for Mark Foley, he would have made just 29 appearances.

Harty cup quater final draw

Hamiltion v dungarvan
    Ard scoil v templemore(repeat last years semi final that went to a replay,and marys won)
    Rochestown v thurles
    Chareville v doon

Division 1A Clare,Dublin,Galway,Kilkenny,Tippeary,Waterford

Divison 1B Antrim,Cork,Laois,Limerick,Offaly,Wexford

Leauge quater finals
    A.First placed Divison 1A v Fourth placed Division 1B

B.Second Division 1A V Third Division 1B

C.Third Division 1A v Second Division 1B

D.Fourth Division 1A v First Division IB

Quater-finals to be on a home and away basis,with home venue decided as follows

If a team has had two home games in the regular season draws a team who has had three home games in the regular season
    then they get home advantage.
    If the teams have played the same amount of games at home ,then they will toss for home venue

League semi finals

A V D
    B VC

Relegation

One team will drop from div 1A to 1B,with the the bottom two teams in the top flight playing off.

In Division 1b,the bottom two teams will also play off,with the loser then the meeting the division 2 winner to determine if they drop down.

The quater -final formula will be used to determine the home venue.

Fixtures:

February 15 Cork v Limerick 7pm

March 30 league quater-final

April 20 League semi-finals
    May 4 League Final

Their is only team promoted from div 1b,and in all probrablity the winner takes all clash is in the very 1st game ,it means that the 15th is a huge game ,but you could win the league and not get promoted.
    (bit farcial)

You were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Any updates on how Feoghanagh/Castlemahon & Feenagh/Kilmeedy are doing in their junior Munster finals today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

grenache wrote: »
    Feoghanagh/Castlemahon
    Hammered
    grenache wrote: »
    Feenagh/Kilmeedy
    Just starting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hammered

Just starting

Thanks, you might just post the score of Feenagh game when it's over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Beaten by 6 :( the waterford minor Bennett was pretty amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Bally 3.12 FK 15 points

Niall Moran has retired from intercounty hurling.

Got a fair amount of stick from his own fans over the years, but he was a great servant to Limerick, and on his day, was pretty much unstoppable. Was capable of scoring some great points, and goals... around the time of the strike, I think he was one of the form club hurlers in the county, so it was a huge pity he missed out.

Delighted he got a Munster medal this year, and scored a great point. Scored 5-7 in the 2012 Championship, including annihilating Clare in the Gaelic Grounds, no one could handle him that day. Had a super game against Tipp in the 2nd replay in 2007, including a long-range winner. (11:38 in the video below)

Sad to see him go, but he's done great work with Ard Scoil, would love to see him involved with Limerick underage teams if he's interested.

Moran was a good player on he's day,but was never truly consistent to be regarded as a great,player,and if he was having a poor grame,lacked the Grit,that doggness and stubborn attuide to still get a vital score or game changing moment.When the ball ran for him he was fine ,but I wouldnt be regarding him as great.

A lot of the criticism he got on the field was justified.A great servant,in terms of commitment to the jersey.No doubting that.

Has the skills,intelligence,and attention to detail to make a top class manager,and Limerick would be better served in getting him involved with limerick teams rather appointing guys who have been their and had their chance.He has the potenial to be a great coach.He must be given that chance though.

I said "great servant", not great player. I often criticised him myself, he was inconsistent, no doubt about that. But he had a lot of talent... it is a pity that the year he was playing his best hurling (imo), he wasn't on the panel.

And there's criticism and there's criticism, nothing wrong with saying someone is playing poorly or having a bad game, but I've heard him get abuse at matches that I've never heard directed towards other players (from his own fans). I don't really know why... granted, he could be frustrating, but some people seemed to be waiting for him to make a mistake. It'd odd, because Ollie was almost universally loved.

Realistically, I don't think he'd have been involved much next year... he's not that old either... but it might be for the best for him to retire now... bow out after winning a Munster title, better than most Limerick players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Niall Moran has retired from intercounty hurling.

Got a fair amount of stick from his own fans over the years, but he was a great servant to Limerick, and on his day, was pretty much unstoppable. Was capable of scoring some great points, and goals... around the time of the strike, I think he was one of the form club hurlers in the county, so it was a huge pity he missed out.

Delighted he got a Munster medal this year, and scored a great point. Scored 5-7 in the 2012 Championship, including annihilating Clare in the Gaelic Grounds, no one could handle him that day. Had a super game against Tipp in the 2nd replay in 2007, including a long-range winner. (11:38 in the video below)

Sad to see him go, but he's done great work with Ard Scoil, would love to see him involved with Limerick underage teams if he's interested.

Great servent. A shame how he embarrassed himself at the end of the semi final this year with his act of petulance.

dzilla wrote: »
    Great servent. A shame how he embarrassed himself at the end of the semi final this year with his act of petulance.

Just go away. You've been embarrassing yourself for years on this thread. Very typical of you to attempt to take the thread down that route. I don't know (or care) what incident you are referring to but it's pretty pathetic to make a comment like that in response to a player announcing his retirement. Take the thread on John Mullane's retirement last year; it would have been pretty pathetic of someone to post; "Great servent. A shame how he embarrassed himself in the 2004 Munster final with his act of petulance."

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Club Hurling Draws 2014 made yesterday

Senior Hurling
    Group One: Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock, South Liberties, Effin, Granagh-Ballingarry and Ballybrown.

Group Two: Adare, Doon, Murroe-Boher, Knockainey, Ahane and Patrickswell.

Premier Intermediate: Bruree, Bruff, Dromin-Athlacca, Garryspillane, Blackrock, Hospital-Herbertstown, Knockaderry and Croom.

Intermediate
    Group one: Mungret, Glenroe, Newcastle West, Claughaun, Feenagh-Kilmeedy, Caherline.

Group two: Cappamore, Killeedy, Kildimo-Pallaskenry, Pallasgreen, St Kierans, Monaleen.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Club Football Draws 2014

Senior
    Group 1 Fr Casey’s, Newcastlewest, Galbally, Ballysteen, St Kieran’s and Adare.

Group 2 Pallasgreen, St. Mary’s/Sean Finns, Ballylanders, Monaleen, Dromcollogher/Broadford and St Patrick’s

Intermediate
    Group 1 Cappamore, Claughaun, Mungret, Na Piarsaigh, Oola and Bruff.

Group 2 St Senan’s, Mountcollins, Athea, Feohanagh/Castlemahon, Gerald Griffins and Hospital/Herbertstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

"Great servent. A shame how he embarrassed himself in the 2004 Munster final with his act of petulance."

I agree it was a shame how John's actions that day portrayed himself. But he done enough in the next 8 seasons for me to remember him for other things on the field.

With regards the incident I was talking about, it was when he came on and wanted to fight all the opposition. Pity that he hadn't managed to discipline himself in his distinguished career up to then.

• Advertisement

Pandiani wrote: »
    Club Hurling Draws 2014 made yesterday

Senior Hurling
    Group One: Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock, South Liberties, Effin, Granagh-Ballingarry and Ballybrown.

Group Two: Adare, Doon, Murroe-Boher, Knockainey, Ahane and Patrickswell.

Premier Intermediate: Bruree, Bruff, Dromin-Athlacca, Garryspillane, Blackrock, Hospital-Herbertstown, Knockaderry and Croom.

Intermediate
    Group one: Mungret, Glenroe, Newcastle West, Claughaun, Feenagh-Kilmeedy, Caherline.

Group two: Cappamore, Killeedy, Kildimo-Pallaskenry, Pallasgreen, St Kierans, Monaleen.

Thanks for that, its definitely going to be more competitive, in the medium term its going to generate better hurlers for the county no doubt. Whats the story 5 group games with 2 from each group going into semi finals?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement