Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Fwiw, come summer, and if everyone is fit, I'd like to see something like:

1. PJ Hall
    2. Shane Irwin
    3. Barry O'Connell
    4. Mark Carmody
    5. Barry Lynch
    6. Ronan Lynch
    7. Richie English
    8. Dan Morrissey
    9. Shane Dowling
    10. Cian Lynch
    11. Mike Fitzbibbon
    12. David Reidy
    13. Kevin O'Brien
    14. David Dempsey
    15. Jack Ahearne

That's a very strong-looking team imo... maybe even throw Dean Coleman in there somewhere, one of the form players in the club championship.

Could be completely wrong here but Mark Carmody's younger brother got called up to the 21s i think so could have been him starting against kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wow very hard to pick that team, especially the forwards. I'd have Dowlingnin the forwards rather than midfield and probably fit Coleman in corner forward. Michael casey could come in at the back too.

Yeah, I had Dowling in the forwards originally, but moved him back because there were so many other options. There are plenty of players who could play midfield but I'm not sure who will.

Morrissey & Dee played there for the minors 3 years ago, but both have played wing-back, and Morrissey has played full-back too.

And Casey, considering he's starting for Na Piarsaigh, is a genuine option... but Irwin is a very good player too, and Carmody is as close to nailed-on as they come. O'Connell will certainly start whether it be at full-back, wing-back, centre-back or maybe even midfield.

Colemania wrote: »
    Could be completely wrong here but Mark Carmody's younger brother got called up to the 21s i think so could have been him starting against kerry?

You're probably right tbh, none of the other senior players or big players from last year were involved. Niall, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Yeah, I had Dowling in the forwards originally, but moved him back because there were so many other options. There are plenty of players who could play midfield but I'm not sure who will.

Morrissey & Dee played there for the minors 3 years ago, but both have played wing-back, and Morrissey has played full-back too.

And Casey, considering he's starting for Na Piarsaigh, is a genuine option... but Irwin is a very good player too, and Carmody is as close to nailed-on as they come. O'Connell will certainly start whether it be at full-back, wing-back, centre-back or maybe even midfield.

You're probably right tbh, none of the other senior players or big players from last year were involved. Niall, is it?

Neil ya

Dodge & Paudie O'Brien named captain & vice-captain of the hurlers respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The footballers lost a challenge match to waterford 1-14 to 2-7.

• Advertisement

The footballers lost a challenge match to waterford 1-14 to 2-7.

Aye, apparently they used 35 players though. Just a trial match... hope they can find some new blood though. Considering there were players playing with colleges, that is a lot of players. At least Brudair is being thorough.

As for UL, great victory over UCC, probably not expected... but Kearns is a quality manager, and UL should be better at football than they've shown in recent years.

Not many Limerick players involved though, in the teamsheet announced by UL, Danny Neville was named at wing-forward with James O'Meara on the bench but according to the report in the examiner, neither played. Not sure what's true, but James O'Donoghue and Paul Whyte were top-scorers...other intercounty players- Tom Clancy and John O'Rourke of Cork, in addition to our own 2 (who may not have actually played).

Apparently Darragh Treacy scored 1-2 for CIT though.

Aye, apparently they used 35 players though. Just a trial match... hope they can find some new blood though. Considering there were players playing with colleges, that is a lot of players. At least Brudair is being thorough.
    Whats danny neville and james o meara like?on ul panel against cork in mallow this sunday.

Whats danny neville and james o meara like?on ul panel against cork in mallow this sunday.

At underage level, Danny Neville was class... I mean he's still U-21, I would say he's probably the best underage player in Limerick tbh. Was in the senior panel last year, but I don't remember him getting any gametime, even in the league.

I'd love to see him involved though, he's big, strong, fast, skilful... physically, he should be a match for most. Okay, he mightn't have the toned intensity and aggression that some intercounty players have now, but that comes with time. He's got a good base to build off and I think he should be given a chance at senior level, we're desperately short of scoring forwards.

As for O'Meara, from the same club... good player. I wouldn't say it's too harsh to say that he probably doesn't have as much raw talent as Neville but he's a workhorse, loads of energy, intelligent footballer. He has played intercounty championship football for Limerick. Versatile, works extremely hard, very useful to have in a squad if nothing else. Started wing-forward against Longford in 2012, but was used as a sweeper... again, has pace, is strong, fits the modern game well enough.

If I was picking the team, I'd give Neville a start or two in the league, see how he goes. O'Meara is probably behind one or two players in the starting team, but is a great bench option, can slot in in most positions. Plus good against tiring teams.

At underage level, Danny Neville was class... I mean he's still U-21, I would say he's probably the best underage player in Limerick tbh. Was in the senior panel last year, but I don't remember him getting any gametime, even in the league.

I'd love to see him involved though, he's big, strong, fast, skilful... physically, he should be a match for most. Okay, he mightn't have the toned intensity and aggression that some intercounty players have now, but that comes with time. He's got a good base to build off and I think he should be given a chance at senior level, we're desperately short of scoring forwards.

As for O'Meara, from the same club... good player. I wouldn't say it's too harsh to say that he probably doesn't have as much raw talent as Neville but he's a workhorse, loads of energy, intelligent footballer. He has played intercounty championship football for Limerick. Versatile, works extremely hard, very useful to have in a squad if nothing else. Started wing-forward against Longford in 2012, but was used as a sweeper... again, has pace, is strong, fits the modern game well enough.

If I was picking the team, I'd give Neville a start or two in the league, see how he goes. O'Meara is probably behind one or two players in the starting team, but is a great bench option, can slot in in most positions. Plus good against tiring teams.
    Thanks lad

Exactly what a report should be.Great report lad.If they play sunday ,i will let ye know how they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

James O'Brien is the only name i can think of missing, but he hasnt been exceptional at club level. Whats the story with the younger begley anyone? Any other obvious absentees?

Doon being rewarded, is there a 3rd keeper there? Curious if nicky is going to be given a trial outfield. Philip O'Loughlin involved think i predicted that at one point, decent back up FB.

Edit, OK, Barry Hennesey is the keeper to answer my own question. Havent seen either of the kennedys, wouldnt know the doon players from each other bar cathal mac, good to see their year rewarded though.

James O'Brien is the only name i can think of missing, but he hasnt been exceptional at club level. Whats the story with the younger begley anyone? Any other obvious absentees?

Doon being rewarded, is there a 3rd keeper there? Curious if nicky is going to be given a trial outfield. Philip O'Loughlin involved think i predicted that at one point, decent back up FB.

Edit, OK, Barry Hennesey is the keeper to answer my own question. Havent seen either of the kennedys, wouldnt know the doon players from each other bar cathal mac, good to see their year rewarded though.

O'Brien hasn't reached the same heights since getting back from injury but is still a guy that could have a lot to offer the county. Might need a bit of work on mobility but he should be brought into the county set up in some way, maybe a year with the intermediates. Which is the younger O'Loughlin, Mark or Philip? Both good players. No Niall Moran, wonder will he be brought in later on, it was said earlier that all of last years panel were committed to staying on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No Niall Moran, wonder will he be brought in later on, it was said earlier that all of last years panel were committed to staying on.

Well seeing as you've obviously been on Mars for the last few weeks, this should bring you up to speed :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88015868&postcount=3233

Interesting panel.... was wondering about this.

Who's Darragh Kennedy? Was he minor this year? Niall Kennedy was on the 21s team that won Munster in 2011.

Wouldn't have seen either of them getting on the panel, or William Hickey.

Trying to think of others... of the Munster minor winning team, we've got English & O'Donovan of Doon, but no Dave Dempsey, Dean Coleman... I suppose the Lynches are still too young.

Delighted to see Cathal Mc involved, he was the one player who I really think can make a difference to our team, I like Barry Lynch aswell, very good player. Not sure if O'Loughlin, Fitzgibbon or Mikey Ryan are Championship-standard but they were good in the club Championship and they certainly have skill. Fitzgibbon was one of Adare's best and Ryan was consistently top scorer for Doon, maybe he's matured a bit.

Players that are perhaps a bit unlucky to miss out:
    Adrian Breen would be the big one imo, was on the panel last year, is a quality forward, lots of pace and is direct.
    Shane O'Neill- solid corner back, been on the panel a few years.
    Dave Moloney- I think he's as good a man markers as there is in Limerick.
    Barry O'Connell- Was included on the panel last year, one of the best underage hurlers in Limerick all the way up. He is playing football this year, I suppose.
    Dinny Moloney- Interesting that English is involved but not him, starred in a big way for Doon this year.
    And the likes of James O'Brien and Robbie Egan- big, strong players- veyr effective at club level, could add a physical presence that might be lacking in the team.

Still, pretty happy about that.

O'Brien hasn't reached the same heights since getting back from injury but is still a guy that could have a lot to offer the county. Might need a bit of work on mobility but he should be brought into the county set up in some way, maybe a year with the intermediates. Which is the younger O'Loughlin, Mark or Philip? Both good players. No Niall Moran, wonder will he be brought in later on, it was said earlier that all of last years panel were committed to staying on.

I think Philip is younger and is a better hurler but don't quote me on that

Edit think he's only 2nd to Richie, but we need a genuine alternative in case of injury

Harty Cup (Munster Post-Primary Schools Senior A Hurling) Quarter-Finals

Dungarvan CBS v Hamilton HS Bandon: Wednesday January 15th at 1:30pm in Castlemartyr.

Charleville CBS v Scoil Na Trionoide Naofa, Doon: Wednesday January 15th at 1:30pm in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Thurles CBS v St Francis College Rochestown: Wednesday January 15th at 1:30pm in Cahir.

Ard Scoil Ris v Our Lady's Templemore: Friday January 17th at 1:30pm in MacDonagh Park Nenagh.

Apparently Hannon will miss the entire league, possibly Hickey too.

Two massive blows, particularly as we're likely to be without the Na Piarsaigh contingent for the Cork game.

Hannon, Dowling, Downes are our 3 best forwards, along with Mulcahy. With Moran retiring and Adrian Breen not included, what kind of forward line might we see against Cork?

10. David Breen
    11. James Ryan
    12. Conor Allis
    13. Graham Mulcahy
    14. Mikey Ryan/Tommy Quaid
    15. Seanie Tobin

Far from ideal.

Two massive blows, particularly as we're likely to be without the Na Piarsaigh contingent for the Cork game.

Hannon, Dowling, Downes are our 3 best forwards, along with Mulcahy. With Moran retiring and Adrian Breen not included, what kind of forward line might we see against Cork?

10. David Breen
    11. James Ryan
    12. Conor Allis
    13. Graham Mulcahy
    15. Seanie Tobin

Far from ideal.

Im suprised breen never made it.A strong panel,id say ryan south libertes could have a big role ,i think he is very good.

I am more confident ,after hearing hannon is out ,and hickey also ,not that I would wish injury on any player,cork have had a fair few,it is awful.

If downes,hickey,hannon are out thats a big loss to ye.Paudie sul,is out for us,it may take walsh a while to find hes feet,and I have heard,that maybe brian murphy may not stay on next year.That remains to be seen.

I can't say I would be too worried about that forward line if it starts,we should have a stronger front six.

Our first game is likey to be ucc on the 26th.
    Our lads are on holiday,so Limerick may have a head start training wise.

• Advertisement

10. David Breen
    11. James Ryan
    12. Conor Allis
    13. Graham Mulcahy
    15. Seanie Tobin

Far from ideal.

Jeez, you'd give that side no chance though at least breen and Ryan are winter hurlers. I agree with below, Tomas ryan will definitely be involved. Lump on cork for the league title. THere's no play off right, so its all or bust on the first game?

Jeez, you'd give that side no chance though at least breen and Ryan are winter hurlers. I agree with below, Tomas ryan will definitely be involved. Lump on cork for the league title. THere's no play off right, so its all or bust on the first game?
    Sink or swim.

We are not playing til 25th and ucc hardly test us.At least ye have clare to blow away the cobwebs,ye should beat tralee handy tonight,20 points I would say.
    Still that looks a poor limerick set up.
    Out of lehane,horgan,moylan,harnedy,coughlan,cronin,we surely will get at teast 3 to have a big game,limerick will do well to get even 3,mulchay,the danger man,but were not short corner backs to mark him.

Still a lot can change between now and the 15th February.Limerick relish the underdog.Yep tom ryan the player im a huge fan of,saw him in kilworth,he has it all.

Presume Breen won't be playing v cork. Or if he is then the other Na P players will be too...

Forward line certainly doesn't look very imposing minus Hannon, downes and dowling, breen too. Will take big performances from Mulcahy and Tobin to have us in with a shout. On the other hand, it should be a game where defences are on top and may be low scoring, in which case we're in with a shout.

Anyway, I hope/expect this will be the last year of this stupid league format.

Yeah yer right breen missing too

Had the o'loughlins wrong way round, Philip is the elder and definitely not as good imo

Yeah yer right breen missing too

Had the o'loughlins wrong way round, Philip is the elder and definitely not as good imo

Thought he was the older alright. Both good players and surprised they weren't both on the panel last year. Mark even played full back for Kilmallock too I think.

In other news Limerick 10-17 Tralee IT 0-9

Presume Breen won't be playing v cork. Or if he is then the other Na P players will be too...

Forward line certainly doesn't look very imposing minus Hannon, downes and dowling, breen too. Will take big performances from Mulcahy and Tobin to have us in with a shout. On the other hand, it should be a game where defences are on top and may be low scoring, in which case we're in with a shout.

Oh of course you're right, don't know how I managed to include Breen... but yeah, Breen might not be a great scoregetter but that weakens us even further with him out. You'd imagine Reidy would come in on the wing there.

Maybe the Na Piarsaigh players will play, if I was TJ/O'Grady, I'd be pretty much begging them to make themselves available for that game. Even just Downes and Dowling would transfer that team from being blunt up front to being very good.

As for Ryan, I hope he's involved, he's a very good hurler. But I thought he'd be involved more in the last few years and he'll be hard-pressed to get in the starting team at either wing-back or midfield with Dempsey, GOM, Wayne, Cathal Mac, Hickey, DOG, Ryan, Browne, Paudie, even Breen as a wing-back all involved. Still, he has the physicality and strength in the air that I think we need in our half-back line.

Thought he was the older alright. Both good players and surprised they weren't both on the panel last year. Mark even played full back for Kilmallock too I think.

In other news Limerick 10-17 Tralee IT 0-9

Big win. Not unexpected but still, nice to get a big margin.

Oh of course you're right, don't know how I managed to include Breen... but yeah, Breen might not be a great scoregetter but that weakens us even further with him out. You'd imagine Reidy would come in on the wing there.

Maybe the Na Piarsaigh players will play, if I was TJ/O'Grady, I'd be pretty much begging them to make themselves available for that game. Even just Downes and Dowling would transfer that team from being blunt up front to being very good.

As for Ryan, I hope he's involved, he's a very good hurler. But I thought he'd be involved more in the last few years and he'll be hard-pressed to get in the starting team at either wing-back or midfield with Dempsey, GOM, Wayne, Cathal Mac, Hickey, DOG, Ryan, Browne, Paudie, even Breen as a wing-back all involved. Still, he has the physicality and strength in the air that I think we need in our half-back line.

Big win. Not unexpected but still, nice to get a big margin.

Team tonight

Barry Hennessy
    Stephen Walsh, Philip O'Loughlin, Richie English
    Wayne Mac, Cathal MacNamara, Gavin O'Mahoney
    Paul Browne & Paudie O'Brien
    William Hickey, Dodge, Jim Bob
    Graeme Mulcahy, Micheal Ryan, John Fitzgibbon

Couple of lads I know were at it, I'll ask them to see who was good, but apparently John Fitzgibbon was a standout player.... was probably on frees too.

Interesting to see Dodge at centre-forward, Quaid coming on outfield and Cathal Mac at centre-back.

Jesus ,tralee are worse than I thought.I said 20 points,that was double it.
    I was going to ask for a report but jesus it was clearly one sided.Like our footballers last week you can't ,read too much in to it ,but if a limerick player didnt perform tonight he has not much hope in the summer .
    Anyone at it?

• Advertisement

Team tonight

Barry Hennessy
    Stephen Walsh, Philip O'Loughlin, Richie English
    Wayne Mac, Cathal MacNamara, Gavin O'Mahoney
    Paul Browne & Paudie O'Brien
    William Hickey, Dodge, Jim Bob
    Graeme Mulcahy, Micheal Ryan, John Fitzgibbon
    I presume Mulchay got four or five goals.?
    He is a super player,that will thrive with O grady

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement