Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I presume Mulchay got four or five goals.?
    He is a super player,that will thrive with O grady

Only 3... rubbish player :pac:

My big hope under O'Grady is that he will get the best out of Hannon... Hannon's best performance in the Championship came under him, against Dublin in 2011. He absolutely destroyed them. Downes also excelled under him and when teams double-marked him, Hannon cleaned up in the extra space.

Mulcahy is a better player now, and we've got Dowling too... all top forwards who could really excel under O'Grady. I'd like to see maybe one grafter/ball-winner to help them out, or else employ a roaming playmaker (maybe Hannon).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I presume Mulchay got four or five goals.?
    He is a super player,that will thrive with O grady

I heard he got a hat trick now.That would you expect these guys to do in these games .Fair play to him.Im a big fan of him.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Only 3... rubbish player :pac:

My big hope under O'Grady is that he will get the best out of Hannon... Hannon's best performance in the Championship came under him, against Dublin in 2011. He absolutely destroyed them. Downes also excelled under him and when teams double-marked him, Hannon cleaned up in the extra space.

Mulcahy is a better player now, and we've got Dowling too... all top forwards who could really excel under O'Grady. I'd like to see maybe one grafter/ball-winner to help them out, or else employ a roaming playmaker (maybe Hannon).

Ha ha :-)
    Totally agree ,it very hard to mark Mulchay when Downes and hannon need to be marked.Mulchay will grow under O grady,he never moved on under Allen.I don't blame Mulchay for that .

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

LIMERICK eased past the challenge of IT Tralee this Friday night to open the joint-management regime of TJ Ryan and Donal O’Grady with a scoring spree.

The final scored in Mick Neville Park in Rathkeale was 10-17 to 0-9 in the first round game of the Waterford Crystal Cup.

The big win moves Limerick onto a quarter-final meeting away to All-Ireland champions Clare next weekend.

The new Limerick management started with seven new players - Doon trio Richie English, Cathal McNamara and Micheal Ryan, Kilmallock pair Barry Hennessy and Philip O’Loughlin, Adare’s John Fitzgibbon and William Hickey of South Liberties.

In the course of the game Darragh Kennedy (Murroe-Boher) and Barry Lynch (Feohanagh-Castlemahon) were also handed first appearances.

The one-sides nature of the game made it difficult to judge many of the newcomers.

But certainly the free-taking of Fitzgibbon was accurate and he finished with 2-7.

Graeme Mulcahy helped himself to a hat-trick of goals, while midfielder Paul Browne and centre forward Donal O’Grady hit two each.

The Tralee side, who had no Limerickmen in their starting team, did hit three points in the opening minutes but once Mulcahy got the first goal in the eighth minute it was all too easy for the home side, who were wearing their new county jerseys.

By half time it was 5-10 to 0-6.

The second half was pretty much one-way traffic.

In total eight players got on the scoresheet, including corner back Richie English, who was the only member of the 2013 Munster minor winning side to start.

Also getting a score was regular goalkeeper Nickie Quaid, who played the final 15-minutes as an outfield player. However, joint-manager TJ Ryan said afterwards that it was simply to give Quaid a run-out and not a long term tactical ploy.

SCORES: Limerick: John Fitzgibbon 2-7 (0-5frees), Graeme Mulcahy 3-1, Paul Browne and Donal O’Grady 2-2 each, William Hickey 1-1, James Ryan 0-2, Richie English and Nickie Quaid 0-1 each. IT Tralee: John Egan 0-5 (4frees, ‘65), Colum Harty 0-2, Giles O’Grady and Chris McDonald 0-1 each.

LIMERICK: Barry Hennessy; Stephen Walsh, Philip O’Loughlin, Richie English; Wayne McNamara, Cathal McNamara, Gavin O’Mahony; Paul Browne, Paudie O’Brien; William Hickey, Donal O’Grady, James Ryan; Graeme Mulcahy, Micheal Ryan, John Fitzgibbon. Subs: Darragh Kennedy for Micheal Ryan (h-t), Barry Lynch for Wayne McNamara (54mins), Nickie Quaid for Paudie O’Brien (55mins).

IT TRALEE: Niall Delaney; Shane Lynch, Anthony Fealy, Cian Farrell; Keith Carmody, Michael Cleary, Jack Walsh; Chris McDonald, Brian Murphy; Shane Healy, Giles O’Grady, Colum Harty; Gearoid O’Doherty, Darren Wallace, John Egan. Subs: Niall Lynch for Shane Lynch (41mins), Donie Nolan for Gearoid O’Doherty (45mins), Donie O’Halloran for Cian Farrell (50mins), Stephen Horgan for Colum Harty (66mins).

REFEREE: Fergal Horgan (Tipperary).

So, a potential team that I wouldn't mind seeing:
    Murphy
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Quaid Cathal Mac O'Mahony
    Hickey O'Brien
    Ryan Downes Hannon
    Mulcahy Dowling Tobin

• Advertisement

So, a potential team that I wouldn't mind seeing:
    Murphy
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Quaid Cathal Mac O'Mahony
    Hickey O'Brien
    Ryan Downes Hannon
    Mulcahy Dowling Tobin
    No Dodge or Wayne? :eek:

At this stage:

Quaid
    King Richie Condon/Walsh/Dempsey
    Wayne Mc DOG GOM
    Hickey O'Brien
    Breen Ryan/Downes Hannon
    Downes/Tobin Dowling Mulcahy

At this stage:

Quaid
    Wayne Mc DOG GOM
    Hickey O'Brien
    Breen Ryan/Downes Hannon

I wouldn't be surprised to see DOG play more of a role from the bench this year. And I know you're a big Wayne fan, but he's just a bit loose for my liking. I want to see us build a dominant half-back line this year and build a team around it, like a lot of the best teams. I'm not sure if Quaid is the answer, sounded like he won't be playing there for the year, but maybe DOG on the wing.

My team is a bit harsh on Paul Browne, I think, who was excellent last year.

King is an interesting one, quality player, I think I might prefer him further up the field though. He's hugely athletic, and I'd like to see him as a sweeper rather than in a position where he'd probably have to man mark. And I think Dempsey has to start somewhere.

At this stage:

Quaid
    Wayne Mc DOG GOM
    Hickey O'Brien
    Breen Ryan/Downes Hannon

I think tom ryan is a better option and faster than wayne mac.For example ,lehane would cause wayne huge problems,Ryan would stick to him like glue,way more hurling than wayne mac.

Dowling I feels needs freedom to roam,Downes much better near goal.You always play your main goal threat as close it the goal you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The 21s county final is going ahead tomorrow after an appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    King Wayne O'Mahoney
    O'Brien Browne
    Dowling Dodge Hannon
    Tobin Downes Mulcahy

Some team.

• Advertisement

I think tom ryan is a better option and faster than wayne mac.For example ,lehane would cause wayne huge problems,Ryan would stick to him like glue,way more hurling than wayne mac.

Dowling I feels needs freedom to roam,Downes much better near goal.You always play your main goal threat as close it the goal you can.
    Don't know if Ryan is ready for a start yet, would be good to see him step up this year. I like Wayne Mc on the wing, he got shown up v Clare at 6 but he had two seasons completely dominant at 5. Good to have a physical presence in that line too.

I can only see Dowling at full or wing forward. I'd stick with Breen on one wing, and Hannon has to play in the half forward line. There's a few options for 11 at this stage, think the forwards may fit together better with Dowling in full. Downes is the one player who could play any position in the forwards.
    Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    King Wayne O'Mahoney
    O'Brien Browne
    Dowling Dodge Hannon
    Tobin Downes Mulcahy

Some team.
    Pretty good. No Hickey!?

Don't know if Ryan is ready for a start yet, would be good to see him step up this year. I like Wayne Mc on the wing, he got shown up v Clare at 6 but he had two seasons completely dominant at 5. Good to have a physical presence in that line too.

I can only see Dowling at full or wing forward. I'd stick with Breen on one wing, and Hannon has to play in the half forward line. There's a few options for 11 at this stage, think the forwards may fit together better with Dowling in full. Downes is the one player who could play any position in the forwards.

Pretty good. No Hickey!?
    Thats a fair point,Wayne Mac does add a physical presence and did do well against KK last year.
    I think he is fine against Kilkenny etc,but against Clare,even any of Corks,Harnedy,walsh or lehane he would struggle for pace.

I think the argument if your good enough your old enough is coming really to the fore ,mayo have added a few minors,waterford have,limerick,clare went with youth,as long as they are managed properly and well taken care of,they will gain from it.
    I agree downes is versalite,i just believe he is better closer to goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Quaid getting a run outfield is the biggest positive

I think he could be a top keeper if peristed with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think the argument if your good enough your old enough is coming really to the fore

That's the Clare effect, they are lucky enough to have a special generation, but the vast majority of youngsters will disappear without trace if thrown in too soon.

That's the Clare effect, they are lucky enough to have a special generation, but the vast majority of youngsters will disappear without trace if thrown in too soon.

I do agree,but if they are managed correctly and peristed with and given time,it speeds up there development.
    Once you blend them with expierence it is okay.Cork showed in 99,tyroyne in 2003,dublin this year that it is not a bran new concept either ,and that it worked in the past .

Clare had a bunch of pretty special players, the sheer amount of games they got last year brought them on a ton though between the start of the season and the final game. In Limerick Hannon, Dowling and Downes have had big impacts in their first seasons in recent years. Before them there weren't many players making an impact while still u21, the last special player we had like that making a big impact in his first season on the panel was Hickey. The two Lynches have the potential to break through and make a big impact in their first year when they are finally brought onto the panel.

Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    King Wayne O'Mahoney
    O'Brien Browne
    Dowling Dodge Hannon
    Tobin Downes Mulcahy

Some team.

Not bad at all- DOG at centre forward is something that should be looked at, he certainly has the scoring ability. Otherwise employing Hannon in a roaming centre forward role a la Podge Collins/Tony Kelly, where he can just sweep up loose ball and dictate play. I think that's where he's best.

Would definitely have Hickey somewhere and don't think Wayne should be centre-back. I'd take GOM/DOG/Cathal Mc ahead of him there, maybe even Hannon (although I don't think he dominates enough to be a centre-back.

He did play there at this stage last year too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

does anyone know where and when the clare limerick match is on next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

does anyone know where and when the clare limerick match is on next week?

i think its on in sixmilebridge not sure though

usealy clare play there home games in the waterford crystal/mcgrath cup games at regional venues there are a number of big veneues in west clare for football

sixmilebridge is the only decent venue for hurling so i imagine it will be on there

• Advertisement

Says Ennis or Sixmilebridge on the Munster website, hasn't been decided that, I'd imagine Sixmilebridge tbh.

Not bad at all- DOG at centre forward is something that should be looked at, he certainly has the scoring ability. Otherwise employing Hannon in a roaming centre forward role a la Podge Collins/Tony Kelly, where he can just sweep up loose ball and dictate play. I think that's where he's best.

Would definitely have Hickey somewhere and don't think Wayne should be centre-back. I'd take GOM/DOG/Cathal Mc ahead of him there, maybe even Hannon (although I don't think he dominates enough to be a centre-back.

He did play there at this stage last year too though.
    Would have thought Hannon would be something more similar to a traditional centre forward than something like Collins or Kelly. I think 11 is where he will end up long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Where can I find out when the hurlers do their run test on the track in UL? I may have to adjust my training times in future!

UL beat Waterford by 4 points in the Waterford Crystal Cup. Dan Morrissey started centre-back, Mark Carmody corner-back, Tommy O'Brien wing-forward, Tom Ryan midfield. With Kevin O'Brien and Mikey Ryan on the bench.

Were hammered by Cork in the McGrath Cup, think Cork scored 6 goals.

LIT also beaten heavily by Tipp in the WCC- Aaron Murphy, Cathal Ryan of Ahane, Barry O'Connell, Philly Ivors of Ballingarry among those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

just to confirm for those that asked over the weekend the clare v limerick match is fixed for sixmilebridge as expected next sunday at 2 o'clock

just to confirm for those that asked over the weekend the clare v limerick match is fixed for sixmilebridge as expected next sunday at 2 o'clock

Will clare field a strong team?
    I know they had a few training sessions already,training again tommorrow I think.

John Allen is a gent.

It will be interesting to see the difference in style from what was built last year. The one thing lacking last year was the inside forward line. Our defence and play and support out of defence as far as the half forward line last year was excellent, but little use was made of the inside line I thought. If the last game is anything to go by there now seems an emphasis on working the ball in to go for goals. With hopefully the likes of downes, dowling, mulcahy and Hannon up front that's an exciting prospect.

Doon won for updates and teams,it is on the cork thread.i do a report later.congrats doon are a fine team.
    They play rochestown in the semi.

• Advertisement

A very good game between two good sides,in a dry,Gaelic Grounds,in the Heart of the Treaty City.
    I say the word "Heart"as that is one "word"that both teams had today ,and for such young lads ,was a credit to them,as down to 14,for most of the game ,Chareville showed tremendous heart to never give up ,and Doon ,credit due,showed just the same amount of heart,to withstand a determined Charville,who threw the ktichen sink at them towards the end,but Doon were resilent enough to grind out a hard earned win.

With young schools,I never believe in rating each player ,or saying a lad was poor,as these as are young lads ,and unlike at other levels at Inter County ,are just learning ,and the "fun element of the game "to a point is there ,and should be.

To me no player out of the 34 aprox played,bad,they all give there all ,and mistakes are inevitable at school level anyway.
    There was lads that stood out on both teams and to acknowlege them is purely a reflection on them ,and no way a criticisim of anyone that played today.

Cian Collins made a vital save,with ten minutes to go ,a real agility save,and could not be faulted for Joe Longeran goal,as there was a goal mouth scrap,and very hard to see the ball.
    Colin ryan who hit a bullet of a free ,and was superb from placed ball,got a great goal,and such was the pace,velocity,ferocity of the shot from the pallas green youngster,Collins had no chance.
    Charville made a lot of posistional changes like doon,from there last match,in Shane feane a fine player,unlucky not to start and Tim o mahony a centre back,started at centre forward.

At the same token,shane o connell a half forward,but no stranger to half back,started at 7,,while Tom Hayes a good full back,did not start,but came on,and Michael Dee,Murrohe Boher played at midfield instead of centre forward.Jp moloney,a midfielder for newtownshandrum played half back.In truth,every tactical change and decision by both managements worked brillantly.
    Shane O Connell,with Stephen ryan formed a super half back line for Doon.Ryan was sublime,but Tim O Mahony was just as good,worked tirelessy and won great ball of ryan.
    He reminded me of the great Newtownshandrum ,pmichael Morrisey ,who would have been a great Cork forward ,only for an awful injury in wexford deprived us of a great Cork centre forward.Tim is only 16,won a county u16,at half back for Newtown ,but looked very much at home at Harty Cup,and will really benfit from today.

Patrick cummins was very good,but out of all that played very well,there is only one Man of the match,and it was Michael Dee I think,great hurling,very strong,and worked so hard.

Dean coleman ,a huge talent ,was good ,but paddy o loughlin was tenacious and really the two lads had a great battle.
    Joe Lonergan was terrific, a great target man and I cant wait to watch him again.

Daniel relihan and Darren Casey were very good at midfield,as was cillan o gorman and kyle mccarthy.
    Jack buckley was very good,and I think it was him,in the far corner(not sure,who ever it was  that got a superb point from distance.

Dean coleman got a point equally as good,those scores were a credit to any game,i am priviledged to been able to see them.

Shane hourigan is a good ref,and I rate very highely,saw him in the u17 all ireland tournament in Mallow,and he was super.On both sides,both charville and doon,had reason to be upset with some calls.
    Charville got a score at a crucial point,when it was a wide and ,he was in a great view to overule the linesmen who got it wrong.

Darren butler was sent of ,and any Doon fan would say it was harsh.It was not a dirty pull,or cynical,no young lad at this level has intent,it was just a   clumsy pull(and that  is not saying he lacks skill,definetly not,)it Is just trying to find a word for it ,as it was not a wild pull , but clumsy in that,very much understandable in heavy conditions.A yellow card was enough,no need for red.No fans likes to see a school player sent of.

The lad is not a dirty player,and no Doon or Chareville lad had a dirty stroke all day.Both came to play hurling.Doon were so good,I do not want to take from them and say they would not have won,if it was 15 v 15,as we can't be sure, and they  may well have won anyway,but it was a huge advantage to them ,and charville faced a huge uphill battle ,with 14 men.

A great game,Credit Doon who used the expierence from last year ,and have a fine team.Charville yes they lost on the scoreboard,but in truth they did not loose in any other sense,as both on and off the field ,they conducted themselves with grace,dignity ,and showed great hurling and heart ,and should be proud of themselves ,they represented Cork Hurling superbly well,and with such a young team,and a good few eligble next year,will learn from today and be a strong side again next year in this wonderful,truly wonderful competition.

Doon and Rochestown has the makings of a classic.

One final point,there was a bit on both sides,not much but booing for free takers.It is not nice to see at Harty Cup level .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement