Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Losing to a weak Clare team in the Waterford Crystal Cup, very disappointing, they got an early goal and it doesn't seem like we were ever close to them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Losing to a weak Clare team in the Waterford Crystal Cup, very disappointing, they got an early goal and it doesn't seem like we were ever close to them. :(

Jeez, not good, respective teams anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

was surprised with how lacklustre limerick were , a few of the young lads thrown in fro last years minor panel i expected more from them , this was how limerick lined out badly need hannon and the na piarsaigh players back very little fire power today

1 barry hennasy
    2 philip o lougughlin
    3 stephen walsh
    4 ritchie english
    5 wayne mcnamara
    6 cathal mcnamara
    7gavin o mahoney
    8paul browne
    9 paudie o brien
    10 william hickey
    11 donal o grady
    20 darragh o donovan
    13 grame mulcahy
    14 michael ryan
    15 john fitsgibbon

was surprised with how lacklustre limerick were , a few of the young lads thrown in fro last years minor panel i expected more from them , this was how limerick lined out badly need hannon and the na piarsaigh players back very little fire power today

1 barry hennasy
    2 philip o lougughlin
    3 stephen walsh
    4 ritchie english
    5 wayne mcnamara
    6 cathal mcnamara
    7gavin o mahoney
    8paul browne
    9 paudie o brien
    10 william hickey
    11 donal o grady
    20 darragh o donovan
    13 grame mulcahy
    14 michael ryan
    15 john fitsgibbon

Imagine 2 and 3 were reversed with walsh in the corner,disapointing result as that's not a weak side and there's a consistency in selection from last week.

Apparently John Fitzgibbon had a nightmare with the frees, while Bobby Duggan's striking was impeccable, scored 0-12.

It was a reasonably strong-looking team for Limerick.. but maybe lacking firepower, as said above.

Who would you have said were our best performers, windy?

• Advertisement

Apparently John Fitzgibbon had a nightmare with the frees, while Bobby Duggan's striking was impeccable, scored 0-12.

It was a reasonably strong-looking team for Limerick.. but maybe lacking firepower, as said above.

We lose by much?

Its a strongish side but still clare have a massively strong panel with that u-21 side

Fitz wouldn't hit the frees at club level either so its a big ask, who's our free taker for the league without downes/dowling?

We lose by much?

Its a strongish side but still clare have a massively strong panel with that u-21 side

Fitz wouldn't hit the frees at club level either so its a big ask, who's our free taker for the league without downes/dowling?

6, I think. 1-14 to 0-11.

As for a free-taker, I really don't know. Seanie? Or else Mikey Ryan or Fitzgibbon, if they start.

We could always let Gavin take them, he took them in 2009 and was very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

We lose by much?

Without Hannon/Dowling you mean? Allis took them in the 1 B final. Fitzgibbon took them in the 2 WC games. Tobin takes them for the club. Gavin a good option as Fireball said, should maybe be taking the far out ones anyway.

Disappointing result today. Only the WC but it sounds like we weren't at the races and Clare had only 1 or 2 of their All Ireland team playing, you'd like if we were even a bit more competitive.

Forgot about Allis, he's another decent option. I'd let Seanie take the nearer ones tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Forgot about Allis, he's another decent option. I'd let Seanie take the nearer ones tbh.

Who the **** is Allis?

• Advertisement

i would make a strong case for the limerick full back line they gave away nothing 9 out of clares scores came from frees and even the goal came from a 60 meter free which the keeper misjudged and ricoshaded into the net so in truth clare only got 5 from play , the half back line and mid field were the main cluprits for the frees paul browne gave away more then he should aswell but he had a deacent game i taught

under the high ball limerick were fine but struggled to keep tabs on the clare half forward line when ran at, in the first half limerick opted for short puck outs to the full back line which got them nowhere there first score from play came after 22 mins and another 10 it took for there second

in the second half they went longer with the puck outs and out scored clare in the last 20 mins by about 5 points to 2

one thing that was notable was the fitness levels on the limerick players seemed fairly low through out the game ,and at the end the players looked knackerd heading over for there warm down afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

i would make a strong case for the limerick full back line they gave away nothing 9 out of clares scores came from frees and even the goal came from a 60 meter free which the keeper misjudged and ricoshaded into the net so in truth clare only got 5 from play , the half back line and mid field were the main cluprits for the frees paul browne gave away more then he should aswell but he had a deacent game i taught

under the high ball limerick were fine but struggled to keep tabs on the clare half forward line when ran at, in the first half limerick opted for short puck outs to the full back line which got them nowhere there first score from play came after 22 mins and another 10 it took for there second

in the second half they went longer with the puck outs and out scored clare in the last 20 mins by about 5 points to 2

one thing that was notable was the fitness levels on the limerick players seemed fairly low through out the game ,and at the end the players looked knackerd heading over for there warm down afterwards

On the fitness thing, they were 5 minutes late out onto the pitch, wonder did they train before the game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wouldn't be too worried, its just a cunning plan to make Davy think we're rubbish......

Seriously, not sure how many of their victorious u21s were on but there's no such thing as a poor Clare team at the mo.

On the fitness thing, they were 5 minutes late out onto the pitch, wonder did they train before the game?

i am not sure about training before hand but they could have but they did look like they were half a yard off clares pace they did finish the game stronge enough but that was more down to a change of tactics more then anything else

That was a problem last year too, it's something that needs to be worked on.

While obviously this game is relatively unimportant, and we shouldn't make too big a deal of it, you'd have to wonder how a team with 8 starting players from last year could lose and look very poor to a weak (relatively) Clare team. Obviously it was lacking firepower... but we're going to be lacking firepower for the entire league without the Na Piarsaigh lads & Hannon!

Lots to work on, it seems like, let's hope DOG and Ryan are able to do it.

That was a problem last year too, it's something that needs to be worked on.

While obviously this game is relatively unimportant, and we shouldn't make too big a deal of it, you'd have to wonder how a team with 8 starting players from last year could lose and look very poor to a weak (relatively) Clare team. Obviously it was lacking firepower... but we're going to be lacking firepower for the entire league without the Na Piarsaigh lads & Hannon!

Lots to work on, it seems like, let's hope DOG and Ryan are able to do it.

i agree its january not june nothing to get excited about but limerick could have done with one or two more games to prep themselves for the cork game

donal o grady used to persist with a sort passing game with cork they tried it in the first half to day and failed miserabley limerick are too direct for that type of game

i agree its january not june nothing to get excited about but limerick could have done with one or two more games to prep themselves for the cork game

donal o grady used to persist with a sort passing game with cork they tried it in the first half to day and failed miserabley limerick are too direct for that type of game

Mm, a varied game would be best though... over-complicating the short hand-passing was a downfall when O'Grady was in charge of us before, sometimes the ball just has to be let inside when there's space.

But then, you can't just hit everything long... when we played Clare last year in the semi-final, the sweeper was picking up everything, our forwards were getting nothing. It was blatantly clear that we had to run at them from deep to try and open up space. But we didn't, except for one player, Paul Browne.

Managers, and players in-game have to use their heads and adapt accordingly. You can't just stick to one format no matter what, if it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The sparrow-o loughlin gone to kilmallock,probably do okay with them,has a good record in limerick.

Newtownshandrum did not work out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The sparrow-o loughlin gone to kilmallock,probably do okay with them,has a good record in limerick.

Had a very good record with Adare. Likeable chap. Strange that he was one guy that was never linked to the Limerick senior job (when we look at some people that were) but other posters here that would be better informed than me did not seem to rate him.
    Could do well with Kilmallock too. Looks like Na Piarsigh will be their biggest battles for the next few years.
    Did'nt know he had a spell with Newtown, but in fairness he inherited a team on a downturn.

Kilmallock are def on the wane, not as prominent at under age either, between Na P and Doon for the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Had a very good record with Adare. Likeable chap. Strange that he was one guy that was never linked to the Limerick senior job (when we look at some people that were) but other posters here that would be better informed than me did not seem to rate him.
    Could do well with Kilmallock too. Looks like Na Piarsigh will be their biggest battles for the next few years.
    Did'nt know he had a spell with Newtown, but in fairness he inherited a team on a downturn.

Nice guy ,but no where near intercounty,at clare that proved that.

Newtown bar the o connors are old,but have a young tean,he was unfortunate to be caught up in a dispute ,the lads wouldnt play under him,was other issues thought.Watch them thrive under liam ryan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

In fairness you lambasted Ryan for his failure with Newtown, but you seem to be going a bit softer with Sparrow, double standards?...:p

Don't know if Tony Roche got the coaching job tonight, hope so.

In fairness you lambasted Ryan for his failure with Newtown, but you seem to be going a bit softer with Sparrow, double standards?...:p

Don't know if Tony Roche got the coaching job tonight, hope so.
    Two different set ups.For a lot of other reasons they made it clear,they never wanted an outside man like cork 2009 with gerald players were nt listened to,so it was never going to work.

Ryan had the full backing of every player for the year and he made a b**lls of it and like I guarantee you when clare blow limerick away at u21,you will see how good ryan is.

Awful news if true,i heard one of yere top county referees ,died in a tragic car crash this morning.

May he RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Awful news if true,i heard one of yere top county referees ,died in a tragic car crash this morning.

May he RIP

It has now been reported in the media. Shane Hourigan RIP.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaa-referee-shane-hourigan-killed-in-car-crash-leaving-sporting-community-devastated-29952860.html

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Terrible news, he was the best ref in the county. RIP Shane

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    Yeah I heard it,but did not want to name him,til it was confirmed.

A great referee,and I rated him highely,a nice man too.I saw him in action at a u17 all ireland tournament and he was superb,what many would deem as a small competition ,he had no problem going down to mallow for the day,and doing various matches,he was superb,i said it in the cork thread then,and I say it again.

A huge loss to GAA , and to limerick and to life.A sad day.
    May he rest in peace.

Ah thats desperate news, RIP.

Shocking news about Shane :(

A good referee, with a big future ahead of him in that area. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement

So, John Galvin, Jim Donovan and Stephen Lavin are all pulling out of the squad for the league and will consider their futures then.

Three of our most experienced players, our two best midfielders and Lavin, who is a serious footballer, if getting on a bit. They're all older and the first two have had serious injury worries but it would be a blow to lose all 3. And it doesn't help our chances to stay up in Division 3 :/

I think Stephen Kelly is going to miss out too, Ian Ryan is injured... that hurts our forward line a huge amount.

Afaik, Seanie Buckley is staying on... and Pa Ranahan and Johnny McCarthy. That's something at least. We need big performances from newcomers such as Hegarty and Phair if they're to replace players of that calibre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement