Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Afaik, Seanie Buckley is staying on...

Seanie Buckley is team captain again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Pandiani wrote: »
    Seanie Buckley is team captain again this year.

Ah well, thank God he's still there. I haven't seen any confirmed squads for the league online but I read one in the Post and it looked very weak. Anyone know for sure what the story is? Washman?

Apparently Bobby O'Brien, Eoghan O'Connor and Derry O'Connor are all out for now, Lucey's on holidays... Donovan, Galvin and Lavin are all out for the league as mentioned above. Kelly seems to be gone, Andy Lane has retired...

And then there was no mention of Killian Phair or Paul White, both whom I had big hopes for. No sign of Cian Coady or James O'Meara either. It's worrying. Can't see us staying up with all of those out. But apparently Ian Ryan might be fit?

Taking all that into account, the strongest team might look like this:

Donal O'Sullivan; Mark O'Riordan, Johnny McCarthy, Lorcan O'Dwyer; John Riordan, Paudie Browne, Pa Ranahan; Tom Lee, Darragh Treacy; Gearoid Hegarty, Seanie Buckley, Iain Corbett; Ger Collins, Ian Ryan, Seamus O'Carroll

With Mike Sheahan, John Mullane, Derry McCarthy and Danny Neville there or thereabouts. Few players I'm not hugely familiar with- Mike Fitzgibbon, Colm Moran...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Last wknd ul beat laois in a challenge , in hurling 3-17 to 2- 8.

Quaid,o loughlin,mcarthy,carmody,o brien,o mahony,cathal mcnamara,o grady ,tom ryan,reidy,hickey,james ryan, michael ryan,tommy quaid,ghrame mulchay

Mulchay 2-1
    Quaid 6,4 from play
    Michael ryan 1-2

It was an alright result... at least we managed to score a bit more. You look at that team and it does look fairly solid, but up front, we are lacking.

And we will be lacking for the whole league. Huge pressure on Mulcahy.

It was an alright result... at least we managed to score a bit more. You look at that team and it does look fairly solid, but up front, we are lacking.

And we will be lacking for the whole league. Huge pressure on Mulcahy.
    Am I correct in saying a lot of pace and hurling there?tom ryan is a super hurler

Yeah ,but when the ni piarsaigh lads and hannon come in ,hickey wont be up front.
    I think yere changing to a running short passing possesion game

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Last wknd ul beat laois in a challenge , in hurling 3-17 to 2- 8.

Quaid,o loughlin,mcarthy,carmody,o brien,o mahony,cathal mcnamara,o grady ,tom ryan,reidy,hickey,james ryan, michael ryan,tommy quaid,ghrame mulchay

Mulchay 2-1
    Quaid 6,4 from play
    Michael ryan 1-2

So they still have no idea who CB and CF are by the looks of things, Quaid back in goal, O'Loughlin is not a corner back, with that forward line tom ryan should be at half imo, have to wait and see but id have cork at about 1/6 for the first game

So they still have no idea who CB and CF are by the looks of things, Quaid back in goal, O'Loughlin is not a corner back, with that forward line tom ryan should be at half imo, have to wait and see but id have cork at about 1/6 for the first game

Not a hope paddy,1/6 we know ye love the underdog role but we wont be fooled:|4/7 and limerick 7/2 be bout right.

We have the same problems at 3 and 6 and we are without cronin,harnedy and connor sul,and ye have around 4 wks training ahead of us and as long as tj doesnt take over o grady knows how to beat cork.

It will be close.Nobody is fooled with 1/6.
    We would not even be 1/6 to beat wexford.

In there defence the lads are out and they dont have options.Allen had no excuses .

Am I correct in saying a lot of pace and hurling there?tom ryan is a super hurler

Yeah ,but when the ni piarsaigh lads and hannon come in ,hickey wont be up front.
    I think yere changing to a running short passing possesion game

What do you think?

I don't have anything against a possession game, as long as we were able to vary it. Clare only won the All-Ireland last year because Davy changed from being short all the time, to just using intelligence and going long when needs be.

My main hope for this regime is that Hannon is used properly. I do worry about TJ's tactical ability slightly, his ability to think on his feet... I know he has O'Grady beside him, but still... I worry.

Tom Ryan is a super player, lots of competition though. And it's grand saying it'll be okay when the Na Piarsaigh players + Hannon are back, but in the meantime, we have a serious weakness up front and we won't beat Cork without a big shock.

As Paddy says, we don't know who will be centre-back and centre-forward. I'd persist with Cathal Mc against Cork, see how he goes, maybe revert to DOG if it doesn't work out. Downes for centre-forward... Allis in the meantime, I think.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/cit-lit-fitzgibbon-cup-1291557-Jan2014/

Adrian breen out for na piasaigh next week broken collar bone

• Advertisement

I don't have anything against a possession game, as long as we were able to vary it. Clare only won the All-Ireland last year because Davy changed from being short all the time, to just using intelligence and going long when needs be.

My main hope for this regime is that Hannon is used properly. I do worry about TJ's tactical ability slightly, his ability to think on his feet... I know he has O'Grady beside him, but still... I worry.

Tom Ryan is a super player, lots of competition though. And it's grand saying it'll be okay when the Na Piarsaigh players + Hannon are back, but in the meantime, we have a serious weakness up front and we won't beat Cork without a big shock.

As Paddy says, we don't know who will be centre-back and centre-forward. I'd persist with Cathal Mc against Cork, see how he goes, maybe revert to DOG if it doesn't work out. Downes for centre-forward... Allis in the meantime, I think.

Well thats reasonable,there is no way tere 1/6 on though.That means we should beat ye out the gate.That wont happen.

Ryan should have started last year super play.Big fan of him.Half back or midfield.Very much modern day hurler.

Well thats reasonable,there is no way tere 1/6 on though.That means we should beat ye out the gate.That wont happen.

Ryan should have started last year super play.Big fan of him.Half back or midfield.Very much modern day hurler.

Can be a bit loose with his distribution sometimes. Had a tendency to drive it long aimlessly after making a great catch or something. He's working on it though. Very fast, very strong, skilful... certainly has the attributes needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ah well, thank God he's still there. I haven't seen any confirmed squads for the league online but I read one in the Post and it looked very weak. Anyone know for sure what the story is? Washman?

Apparently Bobby O'Brien, Eoghan O'Connor and Derry O'Connor are all out for now, Lucey's on holidays... Donovan, Galvin and Lavin are all out for the league as mentioned above. Kelly seems to be gone, Andy Lane has retired...

And then there was no mention of Killian Phair or Paul White, both whom I had big hopes for. No sign of Cian Coady or James O'Meara either. It's worrying. Can't see us staying up with all of those out. But apparently Ian Ryan might be fit?

Donal O'Sullivan; Mark O'Riordan, Johnny McCarthy, Lorcan O'Dwyer; John Riordan, Paudie Browne, Pa Ranahan; Tom Lee, Darragh Treacy; Gearoid Hegarty, Seanie Buckley, Iain Corbett; Ger Collins, Ian Ryan, Seamus O'Carroll

With Mike Sheahan, John Mullane, Derry McCarthy and Danny Neville there or thereabouts. Few players I'm not hugely familiar with- Mike Fitzgibbon, Colm Moran...

Big changes indeed Fireball. Think it will be damage limitation in Sligo but sincerely hope I'm wrong. Team you suggest is still reasonably strong.
    Treacy has come on a lot and if Lee and himself can do well at midfield it will be interesting. Expect to see Corbett at wing back, think it may suit him better or even at 6 in the future, simply better facing the ball. If Derry Mac can bring his club form to the green shirt we would have a decent half forward. I can see him making the huge effort required now with clubmate Brudair in charge. Badly need Collins to regain the form he showed when destroying Tom O Sullivan in Killarney 3 seasons ago. Have little faith in Neville at this level, again hope im wrong. Cody and O'Meara not good enough either. Will be great to have Ian Ryan back.
    We may have seen the last of Kelly. Struggling badly with that troublesome knee. Eoin O'Connor is travelling abroad this year. Derry should be available when the rugby season is over.
    Hope to see Galvin and Lavin towards the end of the league for one last shot at the Munster championship. These guys have 'huge milage on the clock'
    Also hope to see Donovan returning for the championship.
    As it stands now, I would be happy if we stayed in Div.3

Can be a bit loose with his distribution sometimes. Had a tendency to drive it long aimlessly after making a great catch or something. He's working on it though. Very fast, very strong, skilful... certainly has the attributes needed.

Good coaching and playing games will improve him.He must have been delighted previous management are gone,they are the only ones that didnt rate him.
    Saw him in kiltworth,even in a challenge he stood head and shoulders above the rest.Oozes class and plenty of hurling,contary to allens view,brute force,physical,strong,grafter type of player.

Killian Phair is injured. Colm Moran was corner back for Monaleen, good club player, Mike Fitzgibbon is from Castlemahon, more noted as a hurler really but is young and good to see a representative from that club after the great year they had. Plays full forward or half forward afaik.

Football team for Sunday has been named,

Brian Scanlon
    Lorcan O'Dwyer, Padraig Browne, Johnny McCarthy
    Iain Corbett, Mike Sheahan, Pa Ranahan
    Tom Lee, Darragh Treacy
    Michael Brosnan, Eoin Hanrahan, Seanie Buckley(capt)
    Seamus O'Carroll, Ger Collins, Ian Ryan

washman3 wrote: »
    Big changes indeed Fireball. Think it will be damage limitation in Sligo but sincerely hope I'm wrong. Team you suggest is still reasonably strong.
    Treacy has come on a lot and if Lee and himself can do well at midfield it will be interesting. Expect to see Corbett at wing back, think it may suit him better or even at 6 in the future, simply better facing the ball. If Derry Mac can bring his club form to the green shirt we would have a decent half forward. I can see him making the huge effort required now with clubmate Brudair in charge. Badly need Collins to regain the form he showed when destroying Tom O Sullivan in Killarney 3 seasons ago. Have little faith in Neville at this level, again hope im wrong. Cody and O'Meara not good enough either. Will be great to have Ian Ryan back.
    We may have seen the last of Kelly. Struggling badly with that troublesome knee. Eoin O'Connor is travelling abroad this year. Derry should be available when the rugby season is over.
    Hope to see Galvin and Lavin towards the end of the league for one last shot at the Munster championship. These guys have 'huge milage on the clock'
    Also hope to see Donovan returning for the championship.
    As it stands now, I would be happy if we stayed in Div.3

So will O'Connor be missing for the whole year? That would be a massive blow, was probably our best forward in the league last year.

I think Corbett is a good player, I named him as a possible forward, but I'd expect him to be a sweeper, roaming forward from defence. Could be a good centre-back but I'd like to give him a bit more freedom, he's a good player.

O'Meara isn't top class but he has a lot of energy, he's versatile and teams need players like him, he's slotted in at Championship level before.

Hard to say whether Neville is good enough, he has to be given a chance first though... we need forwards. I mean it doesn't look like Danny Frewen, Paul White, Graham O'Connell have been considered... I don't know if any of them are good enough but we have to consider all options. I mean Garrett Noonan is a reasonably decent player but is someone who will score from play against a strong defence? John Mullane, big player for St. Pat's, not sure he's up to intercounty standard, but he's worth trying.

What age is Derry McCarthy now? Seems like he's been around forever... could be a good player alright.

Good coaching and playing games will improve him.He must have been delighted previous management are gone,they are the only ones that didnt rate him.
    Saw him in kiltworth,even in a challenge he stood head and shoulders above the rest.Oozes class and plenty of hurling,contary to allens view,brute force,physical,strong,grafter type of player.

Still, who would you have had him ahead of last year. He's a good player, but still young, and he's probably not better than GOM or Paudie as of now.
    Killian Phair is injured. Colm Moran was corner back for Monaleen, good club player, Mike Fitzgibbon is from Castlemahon, more noted as a hurler really but is young and good to see a representative from that club after the great year they had. Plays full forward or half forward afaik.

Will Phair be considered when he returns, do you know?

And yeah, there are some good players knocking around at lower grades, hopefully Fitzgibbon can make the step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Still, who would you have had him ahead of last year. He's a good player, but still young, and he's probably not better than GOM or Paudie as of now.
    Agree. No one is going to take GOMs spot, and reckon Ryan has a lot to do to overtake Paudie or Wayne Mc on the other wing.

My preview of the Division 3

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/allianz-national-football-league-2014-division-3-preview/

It may have been hope over optimism that got me to opt for us to stay up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

Well done to Ard Scoil Ris. 3 finals now in 5 years after 6 straight semi finals.Some going.A big boost to Limerick (and Clare!)

Worth asking though if there is any hope for GAA in the rest of the city schools.

Excluding some progress in Castletroy there is the likes of St Munchins, Crescent Comp, St Clements and Limerick CBS all in Limerick but none of them are hardly coming near to emulating Ard Scoil Ris or at worst look like there not even trying.

Surely there should be some initiative to make a better go of Gaelic Football and Hurling in these schools.

• Advertisement

Quaid walsh riche mac,carmody
    Paudie o brien wayne macnamara gav o mahonony
    Dodge and paul browne

tommy o brienJamestryan ,conor allis

Ghraeme mul ,tommy quaid ,seanie tobin

Limerick subs willam hickey,
    Reidy
    ,michaely ryan,
    Murphy

Beaten by waterford in mallow

Meant be rathkeale then put back to gaelic grounds them in mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Any idea of a scoreline, look like we're reverting to last years side for the cork match, without na p obiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

1-12 to 8 points

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Dodge and paul browne

Reidy
    ,michaely ryan,
    Murphy

Cheers for that. That looks like about as good as we have for the cork game. Is Allis still in UCD or no? Was wondering why he wasn't playing fitzibbon with them this weekend.

Cheers for that. That looks like about as good as we have for the cork game. Is Allis still in UCD or no? Was wondering why he wasn't playing fitzibbon with them this weekend.

No bother.

I listed the panel in fitygibbon cup thread yesterday ucd ,he wasnt there

Football team for Sunday has been named,

Brian Scanlon
    Lorcan O'Dwyer, Padraig Browne, Johnny McCarthy
    Iain Corbett, Mike Sheahan, Pa Ranahan
    Tom Lee, Darragh Treacy
    Michael Brosnan, Eoin Hanrahan, Seanie Buckley(capt)
    Seamus O'Carroll, Ger Collins, Ian Ryan

And that was chosen from a squad of:

Donal O'Sullivan, Brian Scanlon

Paudie Browne, Johnny Mac, Colm Moran, Lorcan O'Dwyer, Mark O'Riordan

Iain Corbett, James O'Meara, Pa Ranahan, John Riordan, Mike Sheahan

Tom Lee, Darragh Treacy

Michael Brosnan, Seanie Buckley, Mike Fitzgibbon, Eoin Hanrahan, Gearoid Hegarty, Derry McCarthy, John Mullane, Garrett Noonan

Ger Collins, Danny Neville, Seamus O'Carroll, Ian Ryan

I find it very surprising that John Riordan is in the squad, but not starting, been one of our most consistent players over the past few years. Bit surprised to see Hanrahan ahead of Hegarty in the half-forward line... and Brosnan ahead of Derry McCarthy.

Obviously a lot more Drom/Broadford players this year than in previous, mainly due to Brudair's influence, but considering they have been so dominant in recent years, you'd always have expected more on the panel... although Micheal Reidy didn't make it this year after getting a callback late last year. His time has probably gone though... but I don't think he got as much recognition at county level as he should have.

Interesting to see Browne at full-back, would have expected him further up. But it's a strong full-back line, Corbett and Ranahan are both solid wing-backs, lots of mobility, decent in possession. Mike Sheahan is a good player, not sure if he is an intercounty centre-back, but we'll see.

Treacy is good, Lee is decent... but there is no real backup in midfield. We'll really miss Galvin, Donovan and O'Brien... Seanie Buckley moving back would be the logical option if we had to make a change... the likes of Kinnerk and Joy haven't made the panel this year.

Up front is where the problems lie, at least Ryan has made it, he's a class act. Collins on his day is a threat, and O'Carroll has lots of pace if he can get the ball. Much more of a threat closer to goal, as he can score goals. We only scored 2 in the whole league last year, and 1 was a penalty iirc. Still, that inside line looks weaker without Eoghan O'Connor, and I would like to see other players tried there before the season is out.

Half-forward line is the most experimental and that's where we have needed impact players... are Hanrahan and Brosnan good enough? We know Buckley is. We do have plenty of replacements who can play here, but I imagine the half-forward line will drop deep and be an extra defensive line, so work rate, positioning and fitness will be key... but they have to be able to provide good ball to the inside men.

Too often our forwards get isolated and Brudair needs to work on that.

I'm looking forward to it, I think we might cause a bit of an upset. Sligo started preparations late because Flanagan was only appointed in late November afaik. They also didn't go that well in the FBD league, while we've been able to come in under the radar because no McGrath cup, and the games we did play were experimental. Could count against us too but we've had a long time to prepare for this..... we're missing players which isn't ideal but hopefully we can sneak a win, would be crucial.

Dodge and paul browne

Reidy
    ,michaely ryan,
    Murphy

Not a bad team, you'd have expected them to do a bit better.

Although Tommy O'Brien and Mark Carmody would have played Fitzgibbon the day before? Bit odd to play them.

If that's the best we have.... the forwards look weak, and it's going to be a problem. Do we have Condon available or what's the story?

I'd probably go for:
    Quaid
    Carmody McCarthy Condon/Walsh
    T. Ryan DOG/Cathal Mac GOM
    P. O'Brien Browne
    Reidy J. Ryan Allis
    Mulcahy Quaid Tobin

It's really not inspiring. I don't think Quaid is up to that level tbh, he works hard, but he doesn't have that little bit extra. Reidy is skilful and has pace but finds it hard to impose himself.

Again, the backs and midfield look fine, I just think we need someone to lay claim to the centre-back position. I would start Ryan, he can score and gives us a bit of athleticism.

I'd nearly consider playing Paudie O'Brien as a wing-forward... I know he hasn't played there before really (although GOM has for Kilmallock), but he's well able to catch a ball and score points, and we have other players who can slot in in midfield.

We're really going to miss the Na Piarsaigh lads + Hannon & Hickey.

Maybe Tom Ryan as a half-forward?

Not a bad team, you'd have expected them to do a bit better.

Although Tommy O'Brien and Mark Carmody would have played Fitzgibbon the day before? Bit odd to play them.

If that's the best we have.... the forwards look weak, and it's going to be a problem. Do we have Condon available or what's the story?

I'd probably go for:
    Quaid
    Carmody McCarthy Condon/Walsh
    T. Ryan DOG/Cathal Mac GOM
    P. O'Brien Browne
    Reidy J. Ryan Allis
    Mulcahy Quaid Tobin

It's really not inspiring. I don't think Quaid is up to that level tbh, he works hard, but he doesn't have that little bit extra. Reidy is skilful and has pace but finds it hard to impose himself.

Again, the backs and midfield look fine, I just think we need someone to lay claim to the centre-back position. I would start Ryan, he can score and gives us a bit of athleticism.

I'd nearly consider playing Paudie O'Brien as a wing-forward... I know he hasn't played there before really (although GOM has for Kilmallock), but he's well able to catch a ball and score points, and we have other players who can slot in in midfield.

We're really going to miss the Na Piarsaigh lads + Hannon & Hickey.

Maybe Tom Ryan as a half-forward?

Ryan was awesome I mean truly awesome for ul,thursday.

Has to be 5 for me or midfield .Half forward wouldnt suit him.I dont rate wayne mac,in fact drop o grady back and have ,browne and ryan at midfield for championship.

In a game littered with intercounty stars ryan,was equal to some,better than others thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Ryan was awesome I mean truly awesome for ul,thursday.

Has to be 5 for me or midfield .Half forward wouldnt suit him.I dont rate wayne mac,in fact drop o grady back and have ,browne and ryan at midfield for championship.

In a game littered with intercounty stars ryan,was equal to some,better than others thursday.

Thats high praise. What would your Limerick 15 be for Cork game? June?

Assuming conditions in mallow were dire.. for both sides!

• Advertisement

Listening to the game against Sligo on the radio, I'm pleasantly surprised. We're winning 0-8 to 0-5 at the break, and sounds like we're playing really well.

Most pleasant surprise has been Eoin Hanrahan, he's scored 0-3, one of them was excellently taken by all accounts. Brosnan picked up 0-1 aswell. Ian Ryan has scored 0-3, 0-2 from play, including a contraversial one and a left-footed effort from the '45.

Limerick are dominating in midfield, Lee and Treacy sound very prominent. Most worrying thing is we've wasted lots of chances, hit lots of wides and dropped a few short. You'd expect Sligo to step it up in 2nd half and take more chances... will we have the fitness to last with them? Players like Tom Lee have been known to tire around 55/60 mins and we don't really have the replacements. And it sounds like we're working very hard and closing down, so hopefully we can last a full 70 mins.

Interestingly, it would seem we're playing very direct... lots of balls straight from Treacy/Lee/Browne into Hanrahan, Ryan, Collins & O'Carroll. Seemed to be working at the start but Sligo started to deal with it, and then we changed it up a bit. Still, positive stuff so far, it would seem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement