Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Missed a goal chance and Sligo down the other side and level it. Ian Ryan missed a straightforward-enough free too.

Razor and John Riordan both on. Obviously not injured.

Losing now, missed another good goal chance.

Missed another goal chance.

Fitzgibbon and O'Carroll pulled it back level, but Sligo are 2 in front again.

Limerick have a free to level it in the last minute, Ian Ryan is going to take it.

• Advertisement

Missed it :(:(:(

Last kick of the game was an Ian Ryan shot off the line, we lose by 2 :(

Missed so many chances- goal chances and 13 wides. It sounded like a good performance but we just weren't clinical enough... and I reckon Sligo are one of the weakest teams in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Well im a cork man ,so ill pass on naming the team for the game in two weeks

Championship,quaid,condon,riche mac,dempsey/carmody
    Hickey,o grady,o mahony
    Browne tom ryan

Hannon ,ryan,dowling ,mulchay,downes ,15???not sure yet

You would get away with jim bob as you have a balance of Power,graft,scoring in that unit .

O grady lacks that yard of pace,needed in the there,against lester ryan,buckley,padraig walsh,fennelly,ryan or galvin,kearney etc he will struggle.He will be like tom kenny.

He would be fine at centre back and he has the reading and hurling for the aera.

I know wayne mac is loved by fans a great warrior,brave ,and gutsy but he lacks speed of hurling and leg speed to be a wing back .
    And if lehane is on him,he is in for a long afternoon on a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Agree with most of that.

On the half back line I think Limerick would benefit from a horses-for-courses approach. As in pick three from Wayne, paudie, Gavin, king, and Tom Ryan, depending on the opposition (hickey is gone I presume, for the year). Then pick one of the remaining to go along with Paul Browne in midfield.

Full back line for me is Dempsey/Walsh, McCarthy, Condon.

Dodge would be better at 11 than 6, I think. Just like Wayne is more suited to 6 than 5. Again, depends on the opposition. Wayne v Ryan odwyer is preferable to Wayne v lehane, for example. King v lehane would be a good duel. There are credible options there now, something we have lacked for a long time.

Hope the game v Cork is a good quality affair, nip and tuck. Would be nice to have a great start to the year with a win - don't know what to expect from either side. A draw would be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Last kick of the game was an Ian Ryan shot off the line, we lose by 2 :(

Missed so many chances- goal chances and 13 wides. It sounded like a good performance but we just weren't clinical enough... and I reckon Sligo are one of the weakest teams in the division.

The host of our podcast, Gavin Cawley, is the Sligo CB PRO. He gives a little report on the game in this week's episode and basically says without saying he doesn't know how Sligo won which is encouraging in a sense.

Podcast is here if anyone wants a listen:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-com-podcast-week-2/

• Advertisement

Same team that started the Longford game this week. Weird that Riordan doesn't start again, I think he's a class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

obviously Joe should have walked, could have made a difference to the result. Any Na P players go well? Only saw the highlights on the news.

Will they be asked to play for the county next week?

Ronan lynch,ist start was good,two super sideline balls.Easy know why he was minor munster hurler of the year.
    Id say without a doubt,dempsey,Downes,dowling be brought in now.Match fitness wont be a problem,probaly fitter than most of the cork lads as they werent training as much.Hurling be sharp,and what I saw against wateford ye are in dire need of fire power.

Throw in Downes,Dowling ,with Mulchay ,and tobin four forwards that can score.Cork wont be 1/6 now .

In fact if cadogan starts at 3 or 6 he wont have anything like the touch ,dowing or downes has.Advantage Limerick in that duel.
    All yere missing is hannon.We have cronin and harnedy out.Hickey super player but no loss to ye up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

obviously Joe should have walked, could have made a difference to the result. Any Na P players go well? Only saw the highlights on the news.

Will they be asked to play for the county next week?

It's amazing how an incident turns a game alright. Downes hit the upright , goalie beaten after 3 minutes. Then you had the Joe Canning incident. He should clearly have been sent off as it was in full sight of the ref. Canning at midfield was a shrewd move by Portumna as it kept possession in the other side. Saying that Na P had enough possession to win the game and they sometimes overplayed the short pass game. Better team won overall.

Disastrously, I didn't know the Na Piarsaigh game was on yesterday. Was in Dublin and wouldn't have been able to see it, but I was looking to watching it today...

Footballers have started really well against Longford. Winning 0-9 to 0-3 at the break, have been much more clinical than last week. Longford have missed a couple of really good chances, and Donal O'Sullivan made a double save, which means it's not been easy...

Razor and John Riordan both started for Lorcan O'Dwyer and Mike Sheahan so the changes we expected actually did happen, Iain Corbett is playing centre-back and he's playing very well. Riordan has gone off injured, scored a point, but O'Meara is on now.

And Brudair brought on Fitzgibbon for Hanrahan, who was on a yellow. Going very well, hopefully we can keep it up in the 2nd half, would be a vital 2 points. Ian Ryan's got 0-4, 3 from play.

Longford halved the half-time lead in about 5 mins, but Fitzgibbon has just scored.

We need to shut them out better than we are, seem to be being dominated in midfield- Brady and Keegan winning a lot of primary possession.

GOAL for Ger Collins!!!

7 points up now, hopefully that will be a killing blow and we can kick on from here.

Limerick's 2nd goal!!!

Seanie Buckley penalty, Ger Collins was brought down, black card for the Longford player.

That should be it, looks like a great win.

Limerick win 2-11 to 0-11, that's an excellent win. Big spread of scorers, most scores from, Seanie Buckley a key player.

Ian Ryan 0-4, 0-2 frees
    Ger Collins 1-1
    Seanie Buckley 1-1
    Micheál Brosnan 0-1
    Iain Corbett 0-1
    Mike Fitzgibbon 0-1
    John Mullane 0-1
    John Riordan 0-1

Delighted tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Just back from G/Grounds. Fine win. Played well as a team, must give Brudair credit for this, he seems to have great respect from the players. When you consider that we should have won easily last week, this has been an impressive start to the league. At the start I was a major critic of the black card but so far if seems to be big success. Games are now more open with higher scores all round. The only fear is that come championship time it will suit the bigger counties with strong panels.
    Delighted to see Collins playing well today, he's got great ability. Corbett in the half-back line as predicted is a much better player. Carroll did huge 'donkey work' for the team, in spite of his few bad wides. Impressed with D.O'S in goal, much better than Scanlon in my opinion.

FIREBALL, think John Riordan is carrying an injury lately. He played on the 'Glantine team that won Junior B hurling. Think they reached the Munster final too so he didn't have time to recover. He just played away. Typical of him. Come championship time he will be starting. Fine hurler too BTW.

• Advertisement

Are cork nd Kerry being kept separate this year? Think we'll have one big game in us.

Said to myself id back us with the spread when I heard brudair got the job, feckin forgot all about it this morning, AAAArrgghhhh.

Are cork nd Kerry being kept separate this year? Think we'll have one big game in us.

Said to myself id back us with the spread when I heard brudair got the job, feckin forgot all about it this morning, AAAArrgghhhh.

Yeah, we've got Tipp in the first round and if we win that, we'll play Cork.

Big test for us next in Roscommon. I really hoped we'd beat Sligo, who I think will struggle this year, I thought we'd sneak a win over Longford who were a bit disorganised at the moment and at home, we'd have the advantage but Roscommon have won 2 from 2, and it'll be really difficult to win up there.

But it's been a very positive start, the manner of the performances is encouraging, the new players seem to be settling in well. I don't think we'll win next week but it'll be a good test to see where we're really at.

I also think that Donal O'Sullivan is better than Scanlon- had a super game in the final league game last year against Clare, and his kickouts are good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Disastrously, I didn't know the Na Piarsaigh game was on yesterday.

10 extra laps for you :pac:

10 extra laps for you :pac:

I know, embarrassing really :p

Gutted for NaP. But... if the lads are back for next weekend, it could be a blessing in disguise for Limerick. A forward line that includes Dowling, Downes and Breen is so much better than one that doesn't. It also frees up Mulcahy & Tobin to perform better.

I don't know if they will be back or not, but without them, we will lose.

Surely will?no good reason why they shouldnt

Breen I thought didnt make the panel,Adrian

You going down lad

Great win in the football congrats brudair is a good coach.

Surely will?no good reason why they shouldnt

Breen I thought didnt make the panel,Adrian

You going down lad

Great win in the football congrats brudair is a good coach.

They should, but sometimes managers like to keep faith with players who have played in earlier tournaments- even if they're not as good.

Adrian Breen didn't make the panel, and he's injured anyway, but David is still a good player to have, particularly with Hannon and Hickey injured. He has been a favourite of past managers.

I won't be going down, in fact I mightn't be able to see it at all... I'm training a team (not GAA) who have a match at 5 on the same day, so I might only get the 2nd half.

Yeah, Brudair seems to be going well, exceeded my expectations so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Na Piarsaigh players to be given 3 or 4 weeks off to rest before being brought back in to the limerick panel, so won't be available for the cork game. At least they're being well looked after. Though if King or Dempsey are to get a place at corner back or Breen get a run at 6 (doubtful) they could do with having them back sooner maybe.

Allis and Condon are back fit again from injury. Hopefully they are ready to start against cork. With no Hannon, downes, dowling we'll be struggling for scores a bit.

Its a strange call that could cost them dearly.Limerick should have had at them ,one extra game is going to make a blind bit of difference,considering that Na piarsaigh if they won were playing up to march 17th.
    That is a woeful and a wrong call that will cost them dearly.All the noise about the league and they been wronged and the injustice,they now give cork a huge chance.

Its not like limerick have changed the style dramatically in there 3 games,laois,clare and waterford.

Play the lads then give a break for the month or more ,and get them back for the league quater final .

The lads they have instead wont score.Yere best hope is similar to today,stormy,wet ,windy night,ye use yere muscle and fury ,limerick old style hit everything that moves,if not make it move.

Cork have harned,cronin out but lehane,horgan,coughlan,moylan,alan cadogan,walsh,o farell ,if its a dry night we have lads to hit 20-24 points.Ye dont ,not even a bench.

If I was a limerick fan,now na piarsaigh are beaten id be outraged.A crucial game for next year and ye leave yere guys out for a break.

Just once game in fairness.Id say that was Tj call,cant imagine o grady doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Its a strange call that could cost them dearly.Limerick should have had at them ,one extra game is going to make a blind bit of difference,considering that Na piarsaigh if they won were playing up to march 17th.
    That is a woeful and a wrong call that will cost them dearly.All the noise about the league and they been wronged and the injustice,they now give cork a huge chance.

Its not like limerick have changed the style dramatically in there 3 games,laois,clare and waterford.

Play the lads then give a break for the month or more ,and get them back for the league quater final .

The lads they have instead wont score.Yere best hope is similar to today,stormy,wet ,windy night,ye use yere muscle and fury ,limerick old style hit everything that moves,if not make it move.

Cork have harned,cronin out but lehane,horgan,coughlan,moylan,alan cadogan,walsh,o farell ,if its a dry night we have lads to hit 20-24 points.Ye dont ,not even a bench.

If I was a limerick fan,now na piarsaigh are beaten id be outraged.A crucial game for next year and ye leave yere guys out for a break.

Just once game in fairness.Id say that was Tj call,cant imagine o grady doing it.
    I don't know. They haven't trained with the county all year. Would be a lot to expect to have them turn up say the Tuesday after the club game for training. To rush the Na P lads back in would be showing strong favouritism and undermine the other lads that have been training. You don't know what knocks lads may be carrying too and I think the approach of having them right for summer admirable. I imagine/hope they are being given some training to do or things to work on rather than just left off for 4 weeks.

Might have made sense to have breen and downes on the bench, the goal for dowling is to have him at his best by summer, and we're fairly well covered at the back and can live without king and Dempsey. I think it's sensible from the management. The focus is on being right for summer, and in any event the league format will probably change for next year anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't know. They haven't trained with the county all year. Would be a lot to expect to have them turn up say the Tuesday after the club game for training. To rush the Na P lads back in would be showing strong favouritism and undermine the other lads that have been training. You don't know what knocks lads may be carrying too and I think the approach of having them right for summer admirable. I imagine/hope they are being given some training to do or things to work on rather than just left off for 4 weeks.

Might have made sense to have breen and downes on the bench, the goal for dowling is to have him at his best by summer, and we're fairly well covered at the back and can live without king and Dempsey. I think it's sensible from the management. The focus is on being right for summer, and in any event the league format will probably change for next year anyway.

Yeah its the right decision, even though we'll pay a heavy price on saturday night. Team wont be named till friday i presume?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement