Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Yeah its the right decision, even though we'll pay a heavy price on saturday night. Team wont be named till friday i presume?

Team to be named tonight I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Pandiani wrote: »
    Team to be named tonight I heard

Heard that also from Jerome O'Connell on twitter earlier in the week.

Should be interesting to see who starts. Don't think there'll be any major surprises anyway and we won't see much, if any, of the newcomers to the squad or players who weren't involved in the championship.

Wouldn't mind having downes as backup on the bench but not too fussed about the rest of the Na P boys missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Limerick team to be named tomo night.

Cork:
    1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    2. Shane O’Neill (Bishopstown)
    3. Stephen Mc Donnell (Glen Rovers)
    4. Kilian Murphy (Erin’s Own)
    5. Stephen White (Ballygarvan)
    6. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)
    8. Daniel Kearney(Sarsfields)
    9. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    10. Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    11. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    12. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)
    13. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
    14. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    15. Stephen Moylan (Douglas)

Subs
    16. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)
    17. Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    18. Eoin Keane (St. Finbarrs)
    19. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    20. William Egan (Kilbrin)
    21. Paul Haughney (Midleton)
    22. Luke O'Farrell (Midleton)
    23. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    24. Michael Cahalane (Bandon)
    25. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Strong Cork team... wonder will the match definitely go ahead? Weather is so s***.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Strong Cork team... wonder will the match definitely go ahead? Weather is so s***.

Bad weather will mean a low scoring game which would be welcome considering the respective forwards available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Wouldnt agree this is a strong team,like i said in the CCork thread.

The starting point for any team is defence we dont have a full back,two in the half back line average,an unbalanced midfield and our greatest hale forward with lehane,that harnedy is out,caged as a full forward.

Should beat ye,but far from strong,lets be hone7t.

We should win but that is more down to yere weakness as a team than any percieved great strengths with that 15.

Our bench is much better.

Colemania wrote: »
    Heard that also from Jerome O'Connell on twitter earlier in the week.

Should be interesting to see who starts. Don't think there'll be any major surprises anyway and we won't see much, if any, of the newcomers to the squad or players who weren't involved in the championship.

Wouldn't mind having downes as backup on the bench but not too fussed about the rest of the Na P boys missing out.

Tonight yere naming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Tonight yere naming it.

Ya I heard last night it was delayed until tonight alright

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

If rumours are to be believed the Na Piarsaigh players were at training last night and are set to feature in team announcement at 9. How true this is I don't know but we'll see in the next hour.

Pandiani wrote: »
    If rumours are to be believed the Na Piarsaigh players were at training last night and are set to feature in team announcement at 9. How true this is I don't know but we'll see in the next hour.

Wouldnt be one shocked.I said it today on the cork thread,o grady had a look at our team had saw it was weak.

Bulls**t ,if anyone tells you thats a strong cork team.

• Advertisement

Team being named at 10.

Jesus a bit much.Whats it going to be like in championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yayabalexreya

Team being named at 10.

Jesus a bit much.Whats it going to be like in championship.

Indecisive crowd of absolute clumsy amateur Limerick dopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Quaid; Walsh, McCarthy, Condon; O'Brien, McNamara, O'Mahony; Browne, O'Grady; Allis, J.Ryan, T.Ryan; Tobin, Dowling, Mulcahy.

Dowling starts!

Team and subs on limerick website now. Not much on the bench in terms of proven talent or experience, Dowling's inclusion seems a bit of a desperate measure.

Subs;

16. Aaron Murphy (Aaron O’Murchu) Hospital/Herbertstown
    17. Mark Carmody (Marcas Ó Cearmada) Patrickswell
    18. Philip O Loughlin (Pilib Mc Lochlainn) Kilmallock
    19. Donal Morrissey (Dónall O Muireasa) Ahane
    20. Cathal McNamara (Cathal Mac Conmara) Doon
    21. David Reidy (Daibhéid O Riada) Dromin/Athlacca
    22. William Hickey (Liam O hIcí) South Liberties
    23. Thomas O Brien (Tomas O Briain) Patrickswell
    24. Michael Ryan (Micheal Riain) Doon
    25. Tommy Quaid (Tomas Mac Uaid) Effin
    26. John Fitzgibbon (Sean Mac Giobúin) Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Jeez, I like our team, glad I didn't take the 4/9 on cork. I have to agree with TTM that's not the strongest cork side. If we're half way coherent we've a chance.

Jeez, I like our team, glad I didn't take the 4/9 on cork. I have to agree with TTM that's not the strongest cork side. If we're half way coherent we've a chance.

Just two or three players short of our strongest XV, if Dowling is included I'd question why Downes and Breen aren't on the bench. Would be handy to throw on in the second half if things aren't going to plan.

Hopefully Tomas Ryan goes well after all my preaching on here.

Hanalei wrote: »
    Just two or three players short of our strongest XV, if Dowling is included I'd question why Downes and Breen aren't on the bench. Would be handy to throw on in the second half if things aren't going to plan.

Interesting all right, maybe he wanted to be involved, or maybe we need a free taker. Allis there but.............

Interesting all right, maybe he wanted to be involved, or maybe we need a free taker. Allis there but.............

That's what I was thinking, there to take the frees maybe. Allis, Tobin or Gavin would do fine on them but maybe not quite proven on them. Could be a low scoring game decided by frees. That or they want to see were he's at.

• Advertisement

He could do damage at FF if he gets ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Indecisive crowd of absolute clumsy amateur Limerick dopes.

Welcome to boards.ie bud
    Now that you're here is there anything constructive you'd like to add.
    Or would you just like ketchup with that chip.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Wouldnt be one shocked.I said it today on the cork thread,o grady had a look at our team had saw it was weak.

Bulls**t ,if anyone tells you thats a strong cork team.

Not exactly a weak Rebel either though ttm.!!
    The fringe players will be out to prove a point.
    Interesting to see how D.W. will fare out at 14, but I think he will play at 10/12.
    Remember his awesome display at U-21 in the Munster final a few years ago, he is a serious talent. Where does he play for Kanturk.?
    Limerick team stronger than I expected, hopefully will be much closer than I first thought, but I still predict a Cork win.
    Hopefully the weather doesn't play havoc with it now.

Very strong team,not a desparate call but a very shrewd,and wise  call to start Dowling at 14,attack Corks weakest link in the spine of the team,full back,and that move should be applauded.

I was right on two accounts tom ryan would start at 10 and O grady looked at Cork team,and said thats a beatable team,have dowling at 14, if no change on mcdonnell,put jim bob in at 14i i think and dowling on ellis,he destroyed him in 2011 u21 or even white.

Tom ryan,lads im normally a good judge most days of a player,hes a gem,not best positilon at 10,, but he can drop back to midfield,can scorn,hurl both sides and real real pace,great in the air.

Allis is fine,fast,speed of hands,intelligent,and will cause white problems.

Ryan has too much pace for ellis.

That unlike Cork unit has balance,and pace and power ,jim bob graft all night long and win ball.Joyce will relish it,problem is the two wing man.

A bit like trying to fly a jumbo jet in to a storm,with one engine,you may get there,but your in for a lot of turblence,with a lot of risk,thats corks half back line.
    A lovely full forward line,mulchay,tobin,pace,hurling,can score but the key is 14,,dowling could clean mcdonnell in the air ,and is a big threat to cork.Hes out to prove a point over allens woeful treatment last year.A huge ask for mcdonnell.

Real scoring in limerick now,5 out of the 6 can score .Paddy that 1/6 was a bit too too short for cork a few weeks ago you thought:-o

Unlike Cork,ye have a spine,at 3,,riche,Wayne mac or o grady needs be,a balanced midfield ,o grady defends browne attacks,11 that win ball,and a 14 than can do a job.Weak on the bench but that team will cause us problems.

Now Cork have a full back that has been exposed too many time.Not hes fault tommorrow if he is roasted,the lad is blameless,management to blame for picking him and asking a lad do a job he cant ,and they have seen him at 3 many times and moved him from pillar to post.

Limerick have a solid have back line and should break even.Cork should have walsh on wayne mac, as hes strong and mobile ,and would have real pace for wayne mac,Cian wins ball ,lays it of,not the same threat.Lehane would cause wayne mac problems but cian mac,wouldnt have the pace for paudie o brien.

Rob o shea is a fine hurler but isnt a ball winner ,i hope he goes to midfield as Ryan will go there,Cork have to counter attack that move.

Moylan,lehane ,horgan ,walsh have scoring in them.Problem is walsh isnt suited to there .If we put lehane in there,its a woeful call.

We have a bench and if we act fast we could finish with a strong team.If we do that we will win.If were not ruthless and act too late we could be beaten.

Our intensity must be spot on ,as limericks will be.It was said in the paper ,we just made 52 tackles in that munster final,11 by the forwards.

We must do more than tommorrow as Limerick intensity and tackle account from 2 to 9 wont be a problem,and have trained for an exrta month,were just back since the 16th

Who ever hits the ground running has huge momentum.With both teams named-im not that confident as i was during the weeks.

Great interview with Conor cusack on the late late .A great man,from the inside out,and so honest and geuine,a real inspiration.

Just a tip for any limerick lads from here travelling from here,go handy through buttevant i mean very handy,town is littered with huge pot holes,much much worse now with the brutal weather.Take it handy and take car lads going through,and give yerselfs time ,as munster match is in cork also.

Id expect a big North Cork at the match and Duhallow Crowd also ,and Mallow to Cork could be busy.

yeah as I said already we're stronger and yer not as strong as I was expecting. lim at 3-1 is value I reckon thin we should be 7/4.

Very strong team,not a desparate call but a very shrewd,and wise call to start Dowling at 14,attack Corks weakest link in the spine of the team,full back,and that move should be applauded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly unhappy that Dowling has been selected. When I say "desperate measure" I'm only saying that in terms of why include one Na Piarsaigh player to start while resting the others (Breen, Dempsey, Downes, King to name 4).

Shrewd and wise perhaps. On the other hand they don't really have a choice, it's an important game which could well decide who goes up, and from Limerick's perspective the pressure is on big time as a 5th year in division 2 next year will most likely be the price to pay for losing this.

The original idea was to exclude the Na Pairsaigh players, but a look at the subs bench will point to why they broke from that plan, if we were playing any other team in 1B I'm certain Dowling wouldn't be on the panel.

Without Dowling, our forward 6 would be a bit light, having lost Hannon to injury, (and Hickey who hopefully won't be utilised as a forward when he returns), Moran to retirement, and the Na Piarsaigh trio of Downes, Breen, and Dowling, it was necessary to call at least one of the Na Piarsaigh trio into the team, it could be the difference between winning and losing this game so it's a wise call indeed.

Pretty happy with that Limerick team tbqh, much stronger than I was expecting.

Interesting that Dowling is involved and none of the other Na Piarsaigh players... I'm not complaining, Dowling is a quality player and will give us a very reliable free-taking option too, but of all the players you'd think he's the most likely to suffer burnout as he's still U-21 and has suffered when being overplayed before. Wouldn't have minded Downes being on the bench, but still, the team is a lot stronger than expected.

As people have said, Tom Ryan isn't a natural forward, but I'm not surprised he's starting there, he's a very talented player and we're lacking options. Allis is a good player, very pacy, hard worker... will slot in well as long as the game doesn't bypass him. Don't have a problem with Jim Bob at centre-forward with those players beside him, he's the workhorse.

The only quibble I'd have is Wayne Mac at 6. Not that I think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's the centre-back we need long-term. Either give Cathal Mc a go in a big game like this, or revert to DOG imo.

Although... it says Donal Morrissey is on the bench, I'm guessing that's Dan. Starting for UL, playing really well, good young player, still U-21, strong in the air. Could be an option... but he wasn't named on the panel originally.

Bench isn't the strongest, but still, good few options there. Think we might sneak this now.

The only quibble I'd have is Wayne Mac at 6. Not that I think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's the centre-back we need long-term. Either give Cathal Mc a go in a big game like this, or revert to DOG imo.

I don't think Cathal Mc is ready yet, not on what I saw in the Waterford Crystal Cup. I'd happily try him at CB in any of the other 4 league games, but stakes are too high in this one.

I don't think they were ever going to take risks with this team selection given that promotion is pretty much hanging on the outcome. Playing it safe, identical to last years championship team in 12 positions. Two changes enforced (Hannon and Hickey's injuries) and one change related to resting NaP players after their club exploits.

Hanalei wrote: »
    I don't think Cathal Mc is ready yet, not on what I saw in the Waterford Crystal Cup. I'd happily try him at CB in any of the other 4 league games, but stakes are too high in this one.

I don't think they were ever going to take risks with this team selection given that promotion is pretty much hanging on the outcome. Playing it safe, identical to last years championship team in 12 positions. Two changes enforced (Hannon and Hickey's injuries) and one change related to resting NaP players after their club exploits.

Aye, but it's hard to be thrown in in a weakened team in pre-season with terrible weather. I'm not 100% sure that he's the answer at centre-back, but I'd like to see him tried... because I'm fairly sure that Wayne isn't the answer either. He's grand against most teams but you come up against someone like Clare last year, a team who will run at him and he can be exposed.

I've done a preview of both divisions... the one for 1B is already outdated with Limerick's team being named, I really think we might sneak it now :D

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-hurling-league-divison-1b-season-preview/

• Advertisement

I've done a preview of both divisions... the one for 1B is already outdated with Limerick's team being named, I really think we might sneak it now :D

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-hurling-league-divison-1b-season-preview/

Good write up, some brave predictions on division 1A. Knowing Davy, he probably already has it pinned up on the wall in the Clare dressing room; "Everyone's writing us off lads, nobody's giving us a chance, blah blah blah!":D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement