Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Exhibition from Dowling.

Walsh was under pressure all night.

Jimbob won at least 3 frees which were converted, done well.

Browne and POB took 4 great scores.

Outside of dowling, only Allis scored of the forwards scored- we haven't a hope of outscoring cork for the remainder of the league. Great effort on the night, interesting to see if we can progress from here, we'll need to to be competitive.

I'm sure you didn't give them much hope of getting a result last night either. So without there best forward for half the game they scored 17 points , doesn't really matter whether its a forward or midfielder/defender that scores. Let's see how it goes before making rash predictions.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Apparently our minor hurlers beat Kilkenny fairly comfortably in a challenge match. 1-16 to 1-06.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

shawnee wrote: »
    I'm sure you didn't give them much hope of getting a result last night either. So without there best forward for half the game they scored 17 points , doesn't really matter whether its a forward or midfielder/defender that scores. Let's see how it goes before making rash predictions.:rolleyes:

No, I took the 3-1 said they were value when I saw both teams. Not sure what a rash prediction is but, it would be a boring world if we didn't contemplate the future, no?. sit on the fence if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

No, I took the 3-1 said they were value when I saw both teams. Not sure what a rash prediction is but, it would be a boring world if we didn't contemplate the future, no?. sit on the fence if you want.

"we haven't a hope of outscoring Cork " Of course we have plenty hope and plenty players to bring on that are more than capable of outscoring Cork in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Well Cork do have an advantage, they have 3 home games whereas we have 2, incl, an away one to Wex.

• Advertisement

shawnee wrote: »
    "we haven't a hope of outscoring Cork " Of course we have plenty hope and plenty players to bring on that are more than capable of outscoring Cork in the league.

Fair enough, anyway at least we get to try out a few players,in a way its a good thing as the pressure will be off the management after a strong performance. And if the league is changed next year then the result is irrelevant. More positives than negatives anyway. Roll on a league QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Rightwing wrote: »
    Well Cork do have an advantage, they have 3 home games whereas we have 2, incl, an away one to Wex.
    Wexford struggled to a one point win in Ballycastle. We've no business in Div 1A if we can't go to Wexford Park and win by at least 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

A fantastic 2nd half performance given the circumstances. Cork could have been out of sight before half time if they'd held their nerve.

When you travel to another county to a game there are a few things you should expect - home decisions like.
    I felt James Owens was an abomination. NO consistency whatsoever. I think both sides will have their gripes with him, but as Limerick man, I was disgusted with some of his decisions. Now, he also gave a few handy frees to Limerick. I suppose its easy t o be infuriated with the ones that go against you.

I don't have the benefit of a TV viewing of some of the incidents so I am open to correction but the Wayne Mac/Aidan Walsh collision looked in realtime as if Walsh turned into it. Wayne is no shirker and plays it as he sees it. I've read reports of 'an awful challenge' etc. I didn't see it that way. I also didn't see much difference in that and the challenge on Donal O'Grady at the end.

Again I have not seen the game on television.

Limerick, while dogged an the back, need to smarten up. They are good, fit, willing. But they are not streetwise. They need to acquire that facet to their play if they are going to progress. Cork used up a lot of time bringing Nash out for frees when ahead. Cuteness. We need that mentality.

Midfied were outstanding, and apart form Dowling and Ryan, the forwards were poor. Need more of a contribution from wing forwards. Granted they were under the cosh when down to 14, and hassled well, but on the board is where it counts.

The umpires were atrocious. Not for the decisions they made; for the decisions they didn't make. No consultation until Owens went in. Wide for a point, overruled by Wadding, Made a call on the sending off it seems, again only after Owens went in. Diddering about with a restless crowd putting pressure on them.

Cork look to be getting there - some of the lads they brought on were outstanding. Throw in their injured players and they'll be back in Croke Park in the summer.

Delighted with the point. A loss would have been hard to take given the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

grenache wrote: »
    Wexford struggled to a one point win in Ballycastle. We've no business in Div 1A if we can't go to Wexford Park and win by at least 6 points.

Wex aren't that bad, and it can be tough place to get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

First few thoughts on last Saturday. A good performance and the only thing I'll be taking away from this game is the fight to the end as conditions will be very different come the summer. Any way I'll list a few points from the game.

After the quick start to hold Cork to just 9 points in the final hour of the game and only 3 placed balls overall is very good.
    Still lack a natural scorer, if we had a Pat Horgan we would be a different proposition. We work that little bit harder for every score.
    I'd like to see King, Dempsey and Adrian Breen given a chance. I know they will be rested for the next two games but I think come championship they will need to be starting.
    I'd like to see King/Dempsey replace DO'G and Stephen Walsh.
    I also think we can only carry one of Tobin and Mulcahy. Certainly good hurlers but I think Breen could be a bit more dynamic than them as a corner target man.

Still early days but I think now they have something to aim for - good defence and good forward play. If they lost on Saturday, the league really would been going through the motions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

francozola wrote: »
    I also think we can only carry one of Tobin and Mulcahy. Certainly good hurlers but I think Breen could be a bit more dynamic than them as a corner target man.

What do people see in Breen?? :confused: Absolutely shocking hurler for the height of him. I've only seen him play one good game in the last few years and he wasn't even outstanding. He's like the Carrick of Limerick hurling. A lot of worshipers but never does anything special. He has no pace, awful touch and for someone with such a height advantage over other players, he can't catch a ball for s**t. How he gets on the Limerick team year after year is beyond me.....

I'm getting really frustrated with Mulcahy now to be honest. Potentially the quickest hurler in the country but he has gone missing on so many occasions. At this stage, Tobin is more of a threat than him and I never thought I'd be saying that. I do think Adrian Breen could be a good pick at corner forward as mentioned. Playing very well for his club. I hope Downes stays fit also as he could be deadly in front of goal this year and is on form.

I'd like to see the new guys get a run out in the remaining games now, maybe with the exception of the Wexford game. Cathal Mac deserves his place and King could win his place in the championship starting team if he's given a fair shot in the league. Wouldn't mind seeing Seanie O'Brien called up again as an alternative to Browne and paired with a bigger stronger midfielder like Paudie O'Brien or Dodge. Browne is starting to score a bit more now and I think Seanie could add a few scores from that position too as he has done for club, college and county in the past.

Although I feel we'll never see it happen in the near future, I think Quaid should be given a shot at half back and leave Murphy in goals. Now is the time to be experimenting and I know the league is important as we need high scoring wins in order to get promoted but I have faith in the abilities of the players mentioned above and if they're not good enough to win matches without the big boys, maybe they shouldn't be in the starting 15 but its worth a chance.

I think the poster was referring to the younger breen as well.

Yeah not sure what has happened to mulcahy, his form has gone, whether its being overly focussed on goals or burn out or what im not sure. There's nothing to him and he does fight like a demon for the ball, maybe he just needs a break, month off now, a good coach should be getting him sorted, maybe his own poor form may have had a role in the sending off

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Colemania wrote: »
    What do people see in Breen?? :confused: Absolutely shocking hurler for the height of him. I've only seen him play one good game in the last few years and he wasn't even outstanding. He's like the Carrick of Limerick hurling. A lot of worshipers but never does anything special. He has no pace, awful touch and for someone with such a height advantage over other players, he can't catch a ball for s**t. How he gets on the Limerick team year after year is beyond me.....

I'm getting really frustrated with Mulcahy now to be honest. Potentially the quickest hurler in the country but he has gone missing on so many occasions. At this stage, Tobin is more of a threat than him and I never thought I'd be saying that. I do think Adrian Breen could be a good pick at corner forward as mentioned. Playing very well for his club. I hope Downes stays fit also as he could be deadly in front of goal this year and is on form.

I'd like to see the new guys get a run out in the remaining games now, maybe with the exception of the Wexford game. Cathal Mac deserves his place and King could win his place in the championship starting team if he's given a fair shot in the league. Wouldn't mind seeing Seanie O'Brien called up again as an alternative to Browne and paired with a bigger stronger midfielder like Paudie O'Brien or Dodge. Browne is starting to score a bit more now and I think Seanie could add a few scores from that position too as he has done for club, college and county in the past.

Although I feel we'll never see it happen in the near future, I think Quaid should be given a shot at half back and leave Murphy in goals. Now is the time to be experimenting and I know the league is important as we need high scoring wins in order to get promoted but I have faith in the abilities of the players mentioned above and if they're not good enough to win matches without the big boys, maybe they shouldn't be in the starting 15 but its worth a chance.

What'd be your starting 15 then? FYI lads Adrian Breen is no longer on the panel and is currently injured.

I've never seen or heard of any David Breen "worshippers", don't know where you got that, he gets a lot of unfair criticism I think. He's not a world beater but he is consistently one of the best hurlers in the limerick club championship. He was used primarily as a worker last year but there is more in him in terms of scoring threat if our forwards are better organised. I'm not going to go through the three games last year but I thought he was pretty good in each.

I'll be interested to see how mulcahy goes this year. Last year we got very little out of the inside forward line due to the way we were playing. He threatens a lot but hasn't had the same impact on a game the likes of the Clare corner forwards have had, there's definitely more expected of him.

Cathal Mac got some chances early on, will be interesting to see if he gets some more. My preference would be for O'Grady or Hickey at 6. Interested to see if Allis can step up and earn a place this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I think the poster was referring to the younger breen as well.

Yeah not sure what has happened to mulcahy, his form has gone, whether its being overly focussed on goals or burn out or what im not sure. There's nothing to him and he does fight like a demon for the ball, maybe he just needs a break, month off now, a good coach should be getting him sorted, maybe his own poor form may have had a role in the sending off

Well I assumed he meant David Breen as he referred to him as a target man, i.e a tall player to lob ball in to a la Donaghy for Kerry.
    What'd be your starting 15 then? FYI lads Adrian Breen is no longer on the panel and is currently injured.

I've never seen or heard of any David Breen "worshippers", don't know where you got that, he gets a lot of unfair criticism I think. He's not a world beater but he is consistently one of the best hurlers in the limerick club championship. He was used primarily as a worker last year but there is more in him in terms of scoring threat if our forwards are better organised. I'm not going to go through the three games last year but I thought he was pretty good in each.

I've seen on forums people worshipping Breen and naming him as one of the first guys on their teamsheet but I've also been at Na Piarsigh matches where some of their own supporters constantly give out about him. Any of the big big hurling followers I know, be they young or old, do not rate him at all. Ok he might have played decent at centre back for club but he wasn't up against much and there's guys i've seen play club hurling at a high performance level and cannot replicate that form with the county.

Maybe my sheer frustration with him everytime I watch Limerick play is clouding my judgement on him but would people not prefer a workhorse at half forward than take a risk using a very lazy player who just has a height as an advantage over opposition players?

My starting 15 for the Antrim match would be:

1. Murphy
    2. Dempsey
    3. McCarthy
    4. Carmody
    5. King
    6. Cathal Mac
    7. Quaid
    8. Thomas Ryan
    9. Paudie O'Brien
    10. Dowling
    11. James Ryan
    12. Allis
    13. A. Breen (if fit)
    14. Downes
    15. Mulcahy (he needs more games and scores for his confidence)

Now that is the team I would like to see but to be honest, Quaid will never come out of goals and Ryan/O'Grady won't take much risks

Well I assumed he meant David Breen as he referred to him as a target man, i.e a tall player to lob ball in to a la Donaghy for Kerry.

I've seen on forums people worshipping Breen and naming him as one of the first guys on their teamsheet but I've also been at Na Piarsigh matches where some of their own supporters constantly give out about him. Any of the big big hurling followers I know, be they young or old, do not rate him at all. Ok he might have played decent at centre back for club but he wasn't up against much and there's guys i've seen play club hurling at a high performance level and cannot replicate that form with the county.

Maybe my sheer frustration with him everytime I watch Limerick play is clouding my judgement on him but would people not prefer a workhorse at half forward than take a risk using a very lazy player who just has a height as an advantage over opposition players?

1. Murphy
    2. Dempsey
    3. McCarthy
    4. Carmody
    5. King
    6. Cathal Mac
    7. Quaid
    8. Thomas Ryan
    9. Paudie O'Brien
    10. Dowling
    11. James Ryan
    12. Allis
    13. A. Breen (if fit)
    14. Downes

Now that is the team I would like to see but to be honest, Quaid will never come out of goals and Ryan/O'Grady won't take much risks

I'm confused, are you calling David breen a lazy player? He was one of the hardest working players on the field last year. In fact his scoring threat was limited because he was clearly directed to track back a lot. Again, Adrian breen isn't on the panel (he's also quite tall though). TJ has said the Na P players will now be rested for three or four weeks so won't be in contention for the next few games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Is Quaid really capable of playing outfield inter-county? That's a pretty rare dual ability when you think about it.

Is Quaid really capable of playing outfield inter-county? That's a pretty rare dual ability when you think about it.

Not sure, didnt he play outfield the strike year? Want to see him tried so we can rule him in or out, we dont know, would have to trust management if they dont give him a chance, presume Murphy will be given the Antrim game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yayabalexreya

Aspirational talk here tbf. They hate us down there for some stupid reason, I expect them to raise their game indubitably for us and them expecting to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

lads i am fairly sure we are playing Wexford at home and offaly and laois are our away games.
    i wouldn't underestimate wexford we only drew with them last year and in lasts years championship they drew with Dublin and Clare they are well capable of beating us if we are not upto the challenge i wouldn't be worried how much we win the game by once we get a win

lads i am fairly sure we are playing Wexford at home and offaly and laois are our away games.
    i wouldn't underestimate wexford we only drew with them last year and in lasts years championship they drew with Dublin and Clare they are well capable of beating us if we are not upto the challenge i wouldn't be worried how much we win the game by once we get a win

also against antrim they were a man down and seven points up with seven minutes to go

• Advertisement

Not sure, didnt he play outfield the strike year? Want to see him tried so we can rule him in or out, we dont know, would have to trust management if they dont give him a chance, presume Murphy will be given the Antrim game.

i remember he played outfield when he was under 21 for limerick and was very solid. he was outstanding outfield in the club championship. Murphy is playing fitz cup wed so i wonder what keeper will get game time this weekend, maybe hennessy will.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

lads i am fairly sure we are playing Wexford at home

We are playing Wexford at home in both hurling and football March 9th, hurling at 1.45 and football at 3.00.

1. Murphy
    2. Dempsey
    3. McCarthy
    4. Carmody
    5. King
    6. Cathal Mac
    7. Quaid
    8. Thomas Ryan
    9. Paudie O'Brien
    10. Dowling
    11. James Ryan
    12. Allis
    13. A. Breen (if fit)
    14. Downes

i would not class breen as lazy his probably one of the most hard working players on the team but to me he looks very awkward and his skill level at times is poor. he looks like a player more suited to playing in defence where he played some good games at centre back but i dont think his good enough to play centre back at inter county level. i personally would not have him starting but he is an important squad member. i think one work horse is enough for our half forward line last year we had three. if we want to win anything this year we need players in our half forward line who can score. i would like our forward line to maybe look like this

hannon
    ryan
    downesd
    mulcahy
    dowling
    a.breen/tobin

dowling and downes could also swap positions depending on their form and fitness. i would use d breen as a sub sorry about spacing i am using my phone.

i would not class breen as lazy his probably one of the most hard working players on the team but to me he looks very awkward and his skill level at times is poor. he looks like a player more suited to playing in defence where he played some good games at centre back but i dont think his good enough to play centre back at inter county level. i personally would not have him starting but he is an important squad member. i think one work horse is enough for our half forward line last year we had three. if we want to win anything this year we need players in our half forward line who can score. i would like our forward line to maybe look like this

hannon
    ryan
    downesd
    mulcahy
    dowling
    a.breen/tobin

dowling and downes could also swap positions depending on their form and fitness. i would use d breen as a sub sorry about spacing i am using my phone.

that would be the forward line i woul like to see in championship. for this weekend presuming we can trust tj the na piarsiagh lads won't be playing and breen and hannon are ruled out for a few weeks. mulcahy also suspended

the forward line might look something like this

Allis
    J.Ryan
    T.Ryan although i think he is better in defence
    S.Tobin
    M.Ryan
    J.Fitzgibbon

Yeah, agree with most of that, would like to see reidy get a run this week, possibly drop Tomas ryan to half back and give one of the kilmallock lads a rest.

Few interesting points raised in the last page or so, which I'd like to address:

Gaining Promotion
    I do think that we're up against it in terms of getting promoted... Cork weren't great against us, but I can't see us racking up huge scores... in our next game, we won't have Dowling, Downes, Hannon or Mulcahy- our 4 most natural scoretakers. In addition, we'll be without 2 Breens, Paudie Aherne, Niall Moran has retired... really low on options. I'm yet to be convinced of Tommy Quaid or Mikey Ryan's pedigree at intercounty level.

Wexford may only have beaten Antrim by a point last week, but they drew with us last year, drew with Dublin, drew with Clare in normal time. They have some quality hurlers and I reckon our best hope is for them to draw/beat Cork... but they are also a threat to us, and I wouldn't underrate them.

David Breen
    A good, but frustrating player. Considering his size, he's not great in the air. His finishing can be dreadful. But he does work hard, and if he runs at teams from deep, can be a real weapon. Not sure he's in our 6 strongest forwards, but he performs a particular role. Would prefer to have Jim-Bob as a workhorse, flanked by two more naturally skilled players- i.e. Hannon and Downes.

Adrian Breen
    I would like to see him get more of a chance, but he's injured at the moment. He's fast and able to take a score, but never really stood out at U-21 level or in the league last year... intercounty is a big step up. Pity about his injury, as he'd certainly get a chance now, he deserves a shot. But as of now, has shown nothing to suggest he'd be a better option than Tobin or Mulcahy.

Graeme Mulcahy/Seanie Tobin
    Mulcahy's performances last year were underrated, I think... didn't get on the scoresheet as much as you'd like, but directly created a lot of scores through clever passing. If you win the ball, jink past a few players, then pass it of to someone in space, is that really any worse than putting it over yourself? Of course not. The year before, he was tearing every team to pieces..... and he played really well, albeit in a different role, under O'Grady. I have faith in him. Tobin is interesting, good goalscorer, probably doesn't impose himself enough, bit inconsistent... but is still probably good enough to start. Works hard and gets out in front of his man... can't leave him isolated though.

Nicky Quaid
    Definitely think he's good enough to play outfield... although we do have a lot of options in midfield and at half-back. Could play half-forward, but again, not his natural position. Don't think we'll see him outfield during the league, for better or for worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Nicky Quaid is certainly good enough to play outfield, but we're fairly well covered in his most likely positions (wing back or midfield), best to leave him be though, best keeper we've had since Joe and Tommy in the 90's.

Someone who has previously been involved in the backroom team told me a few months back that TJ/DO'G were exploring the possibility of recalling Brian Murray to the panel while using Nicky Quaid outfield, either that nugget of information was a load of rubbish or they TJ and Donal thought better of it. (I suspect the former)

A concern I'm having at present is that the team almost looks like it's starting to pick itself, most of us could guess 13 or 14 of the team that will start v Tipp in June, now that doesn't necessarily mean anything but I just would prefer if there were a few more players making a serious case to be part of the starting team.

Does anyone know what James O'Brien's status is this year? I really hope he gets tried at centre back. Wayne's doing okay there but he's a stopgap, he's not a natural centre back, I'm not saying drop him, just play him elsewhere (on the wing or midfield), I'm a big fan of Wayne myself. But James O'Brien has the makings of a good solid Brian Geary-esque centre back, it's a question that needs to be explored/answered!

I think some lads here are missing that Adrian Breen wasn't recalled to the panel this year. He is a very good player and increasingly growing in confidence and improving. Great physical attributes too, big and fast, it's not unlikely that he will force his way in in the future as his brother did.
    Hanalei wrote: »
    Nicky Quaid is certainly good enough to play outfield, but we're fairly well covered in his most likely positions (wing back or midfield), best to leave him be though, best keeper we've had since Joe and Tommy in the 90's.

Someone who has previously been involved in the backroom team told me a few months back that TJ/DO'G were exploring the possibility of recalling Brian Murray to the panel while using Nicky Quaid outfield, either that nugget of information was a load of rubbish or they TJ and Donal thought better of it. (I suspect the former)

A concern I'm having at present is that the team almost looks like it's starting to pick itself, most of us could guess 13 or 14 of the team that will start v Tipp in June, now that doesn't necessarily mean anything but I just would prefer if there were a few more players making a serious case to be part of the starting team.

Does anyone know what James O'Brien's status is this year? I really hope he gets tried at centre back. Wayne's doing okay there but he's a stopgap, he's not a natural centre back, I'm not saying drop him, just play him elsewhere (on the wing or midfield), I'm a big fan of Wayne myself. But James O'Brien has the makings of a good solid Brian Geary-esque centre back, it's a question that needs to be explored/answered!

Good post. That sounds like madness on Murray, I'd be fearful for us if the brains behind the operation were considering that. I think we are well covered at midfield and also at wing back at this stage, but I agree with you on Wayne Mc at 6. I felt all season last year he could be targeted and Clare went about that. I'd have him at 5 every time I think he'd be pushing an all star there.

Agree too on James O'Brien. I thought in 2011 he would be the Limerick centre back by now. In 2011 on Na P's run to Munster he was their best player, outstanding in every game. This year he has not hit the same heights since I think returning from injury. If he's interested and we had some forward thinking management he would be put at 6 for the intermediates for a year and a lot of effort put into him, work on speed and mobility too. The guy has too much potential to let him slip through the net.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the team almost picking itself. I think it's good we have a fairly settled team. There are probably only a handful I'd have as absolute definite starters for tipp before a ball is pucked, Richie, Gavin, Hannon, Downes. A dood few more are well in but I think there are a good few players pushing hard in a few places, corner back, wing back, midfield, half forward (at least 7 in strong contention to start), and the full forward line. Even if we know 12 of the personnel some of the positions might shift.

It is interesting, and a bit surprising that James O'Brien wasn't given a call-up this year, certainly has the physicality and areial ability for centre-back. Fairly good in possession, maybe lacks a bit of pace?

But Cathal Mc was the standout centre-back in the club championship, I'm happy with him being given more of a chance. And with Dan Morrissey playing really well for UL and on the bench at the weekend suggests he's now ahead of O'Brien too.

We've had a lot of players who have played centre-back for club or college, but how many are intercounty standard- Wayne, DOG, James O'Brien, Cathal Mc, Hickey, GOM, Breen, Hannon, Barry O'Connell, Dan Morrissey, Allis, Dave Moloney, Barry Lynch; wouldn't be surprised if Ronan Lynch was our next long-term centre-back.

Don't have much of a problem with the team picking itself... we do seem to have a lot of options, everywhere bar the attack really. Surely Murray wasn't considered for a recall though, Aaron Murphy is a fine keeper... good shot-stopper, has both brilliant range on his puckouts and nice accuracy on the shorter ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Will griffin super all year and again today with ucc and jack aherene should get a look at c forward

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement