Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Will griffin super all year and again today with ucc and jack aherene should get a look at c forward

Agree. They could and should be added to the panel yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Will griffin super all year and again today with ucc and jack aherene should get a look at c forward

Plays very very well for club and college but I have seen him twice for the Limerick 21s and due to his stature (you will know what I am talking about if you have seen him play live) he hadn't a hope against the big teams like Galway and Tipp. Deserves another chance yes, as does anyone who plays well, but I would be very surprised if he ever plays a championship match for Limerick.

Jack aherne is an interesting one. Could well force his way in due to our lack of forwards. I hear he's a pretty good free taker too, could be useful when Dowling is out and we know how important taking your scores from frees is.....

UL v LIT should be interesting but I'd be surprised if UL lost. Serious team this year. LIT have some good players like Tony Kelly, Seanie O'Brien, Dempsey (i think), Aaron Murphy and a few more. If they're on form, they may cause an upset.

Regarding the point on Brian Murray, although he has played very well this year for his club and has been rekindling some of his Limerick form, there is no reason at all why he should be considered unless we had a mass injury crisis in goals. Murphy, Hennessy and Quaid are very capable keepers and perhaps its the one position we are the safest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Hear Murphy has been very good for LIT, be interesting to hear if anyone is along there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

If i do make it not sure if i can i will do a comprenive report for ye on yere lads.

As regards size cole ,i would have agreed fully a year ago but tots clare show there is room in the game for them and even do a bit biger ,still small alan cadogan.

I hope ul win,then beat lit and ucc should make the final.ul v ucc final be unreal and tg4 show it live next weekend.

If i do make it not sure if i can i will do a comprenive report for ye on yere lads.

As regards size cole ,i would have agreed fully a year ago but tots clare show there is room in the game for them and even do a bit biger ,still small alan cadogan.

I hope ul win,then beat lit and ucc should make the final.ul v ucc final be unreal and tg4 show it live next weekend.

I see where you're coming from alright. Those Clare lads are super fit and very talented athletes so I think they're an exception to the rule but I suppose there is an opening in the game for smaller hurlers now.

I still find it crazy when people say that such and such a player needs a rest after playing county and club and possibly 21s all year but then you see Tony Kelly and Podge Collins playing club hurling and football, county hurling at senior and under 21 level and now they're playing in the Fitzgibbon for their colleges. Clare are just a super fit bunch of lads and we would do well to match their fitness levels in the future.

• Advertisement

Go down to ul north campus 7 to9 tuesday and friday and watch them train.easy to c why there snd fit.a great sunday read in sunday times which detalied there training week.

I saw limerick train last early match allen thouhht it was a walk in the park.

Watch o grady and i intend to much faster pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I would like to see Dave Reidy get a start this weekend. He is certainly a capable scorer and can create space for others with his reading of the game. Was surprised his brother Mike didn't get a call up after the intermediate championship.
    Ideally the starting XV for Sunday would be along the lines of: Quaid; Condon, O'Loughlin, McCarthy; Same half back line; Tom Ryan/Allis, Browne; Reidy, J. Ryan, Allis/Tom Ryan; Tobin, Michael Ryan, Fitzgibbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

I'll be surprised if there's any more than 3 changes, all the forwards who started last week will more than likely start again, with the exception of Dowling.

Had we beaten Cork, we would have put out strong teams against Wexford and Offaly just to be safe, and made major changes for the Laois and Antrim games.

Now that we have drawn with them, neither us nor Cork are in the driving seat for 1st place, so every score is vital, we're in a shoot out with Cork and can't afford to experiment much, we pretty much have to put out close to our strongest 15 in every game now if we want to avoid a 5th straight year of division 2 hurling.

Had we lost, pretty much game over in terms of promotion, so we could have been as experimental as we want with the starting team with reasonable confidence that we would in all likelyhood finish somewhere between second and fourth thus ensuring our progress to the quarter finals (thanks to the silly changes made to last years format).

If we wanted to blood new players in this league campaign, a draw in the Cork game was probably the worst possible result! A victory or a defeat would have left us with the benefit of knowing whether we most likely would or would not get promotion; the draw has left us in a position of uncertainty!

One thing I am expecting however is that Wexford or Offaly (or both) will throw a spanner in the works, I've a feeling one of them will take points off ourselves or Cork in the next few weeks, lets not forget that Offaly earned a draw at the Gaelic Grounds in 2012 and Wexford did the same last year. There's been too much talk of how 1B would be all about Limerick and Cork, the other four counties treated almost as an irrelevance, music to their ears...

I know neither Wexford or Offaly gave us any reason to fear them last weekend, but only a fool would take them for granted. (We of all counties should know well, been caught by both those counties plenty of times down the years...)

Ul 6 lit 10 h time ul have a huge wind do

Updates and panels i put fitz thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Willie Griffin is a super hurler, consistently one of the best club hurlers in the county... gets high scores from both play and frees. And at underage level, he used to absolutely dominate... he embarrassed me a couple of times (not that I was ever much good), and was one of our best minors.

But at the U-21 level, even intermediate level, he never really stood out. Wasn't he a sub for a while for UCC too? Not saying that he won't make it, and he could yet improve, but intercounty is a step up again. He's very small, but that's not the only young- plenty of small players make up for their lack of size with speed, handling, intelligence, awareness, movement, determination, etc. Does he have all of those to the degree that would make him an intercounty hurler? I'm not sure..... he can have off-days and you can't really afford to have them when you get a chance in an intercounty level. Remember that goal chance he missed against Galway in the U-21 semi-final... at club level, he would have buried that, no doubt about it.

But that said, if John Fitzgibbon gets a call-up, I don't see why Griffin shouldn't either.

As for Jack Aherne, again, a very skilful hurler. Isn't he still U-21 this year? And iirc, he didn't start last year for the 21s when TJ was in charge..... of course, neither did Barry Lynch or Mikey Ryan and they both made it.

Limerick team named for next weekend:

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    3. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    4. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    5. Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Gavin O'Mahony (Kilmallock)
    8. Donal O'Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    11. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    12. Conor Allis (Croom)
    13. Tommy O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    14. Tommy Quaid (Effin)
    15. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)

Richie Mc rested, Condon to full-back, Carmody included. Logical, seeing as Dempsey is being rested anyway.

Same half-back line. Slight disappointment maybe, although they have to maintain strength..... would suggest Wayne is going to be centre-back come Championship. Would maybe have liked to see Tom Ryan in the backline and Cathal Mc, Dan Morrissey or Barry Lynch at centre-back.

Same midfield, no complaints... the other options are playing in other positions.

Same half-forward line, will be hoping for better performances from the two wing-forwards, but they are our best options there atm.

Weakened full-forward line.... I do like Tommy O'Brien though, very fast, very direct. Interesting how he couldn't start in Fitzgibbon though, while someone like Pat Begley was starting. Not sure Tommy Quaid is up to it, but should be good enough against Antrim. Definitely our weakest line.

Who'll be on frees? Tobin takes them for the club, Tommy Quaid does too, as does Allis.... O'Brien and O'Mahony have both taken them for Limerick before afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

We don't really have much strength in depth I'm afraid.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Limerick team named for next weekend:

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    3. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    4. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    5. Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Gavin O'Mahony (Kilmallock)
    8. Donal O'Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    11. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    12. Conor Allis (Croom)
    13. Tommy O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    14. Tommy Quaid (Effin)
    15. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)

Richie Mc rested, Condon to full-back, Carmody included. Logical, seeing as Dempsey is being rested anyway.

Same half-back line. Slight disappointment maybe, although they have to maintain strength..... would suggest Wayne is going to be centre-back come Championship. Would maybe have liked to see Tom Ryan in the backline and Cathal Mc, Dan Morrissey or Barry Lynch at centre-back.

Same midfield, no complaints... the other options are playing in other positions.

Same half-forward line, will be hoping for better performances from the two wing-forwards, but they are our best options there atm.

Weakened full-forward line.... I do like Tommy O'Brien though, very fast, very direct. Interesting how he couldn't start in Fitzgibbon though, while someone like Pat Begley was starting. Not sure Tommy Quaid is up to it, but should be good enough against Antrim. Definitely our weakest line.

Who'll be on frees? Tobin takes them for the club, Tommy Quaid does too, as does Allis.... O'Brien and O'Mahony have both taken them for Limerick before afaik.

Jesus that forward line wont get a big score.

Ye should win but quaid is no where near that level

Cork should be top the weekend as we picked a team ready to go for the juglar.

Ye havent.

I like Condon at full back, if anything happens Richie he's the man to step in so should get the odd run there. Disappointed with the half back line. We know what they all can do, couldn't we have had a look at Tom Ryan or someone else? On that note, Tom Ryan not a forward. Wayne at 6 again, I'm a big supporter but he wouldn't be my choice. Even if he is going to be there in summer, we know what we get from Wayne, isn't this the kind of game to be trying someone else? Forwards, I'd like to see reidy, but you can't quibble that's about what we have available.

Ye havent.

We picked the strongest team available.

Ye havent.

I'm almost sure we'll win, our backline + midfield will win us the game but we don't have one deadly forward there... couple of decent ones, couple of workhorses and then there's Seanie Tobin who can be a very good player on his day but at intercounty level, I think he needs other top forwards around him to excel. But he does carry Murroe/Boher tbf.

But who else could we pick? With injuries, suspensions and no NaP players (who definitely need a rest, we can't flog them during the league), that's as good as we have.

I like Condon at full back, if anything happens Richie he's the man to step in so should get the odd run there. Disappointed with the half back line. We know what they all can do, couldn't we have had a look at Tom Ryan or someone else? On that note, Tom Ryan not a forward. Wayne at 6 again, I'm a big supporter but he wouldn't be my choice. Even if he is going to be there in summer, we know what we get from Wayne, isn't this the kind of game to be trying someone else? Forwards, I'd like to see reidy, but you can't quibble that's about what we have available.

Reidy is probably unlucky, but again, while talented, hasn't exactly excelled when given a chance before.

Tom Ryan isn't a forward, but at least he can catch a ball and score... I'm guessing that's the reasoning. He can do a job, and that seems to be what we're going for. I don't think Fitzgibbon or Ryan would be much better there tbh. Maybe move him back and put Dodge or someone in.

Agree about Condon at full-back, and about trying someone else in the half-back line. Without wanting to be disrespectful, this is probably going to be our easiest game (unless Offaly play like they did last weekend).

And the bench is:

Aaron Murphy, Philip O'Loughlin, Barry Lynch, Richie English, Dan Morrissey, Cathal McNamara, Darragh Kennedy, William Hickey, David Reidy, Mikey Ryan, John Fitzgibbon.

Without wanting to be offensive, they're all good players in their own right, but it's not the most inspiring forwards bench I've seen in Limerick. Reidy is the only I'd really trust to make any sort of impact and even then, not against a top team. Ryan and Fitzgibbon have certainly got talent, they are two of the best club hurlers but intercounty is a different level.

Interesting that we've got 3 centre-backs on the bench- Lynch, Morrissey and Cathal Mc... obviously they can play elsewhere too but that would be the position I'd see them in this season.

As for what other options are in the county as forwards? Seanie O'Brien from Patrickswell? Kevin O'Brien? Niall Maher from Doon (versatile player)? Kevin O'Donnell? Hardly Kieran O'Dea or Alan O'Connor?

Probably too soon for last year's minor... I think we'll see a few from that group give us real depth.

And I couldn't really see him reverting back to Mike Fitz, Eoin Ryan or Paudie O'Dwyer either.

Maybe one of the first few mentioned would be better than those there, but there wouldn't be much in it.

KOD wouldnt be good enough i reckon, it he had his cousin's athleticism he'd be some hurler.
    Paudie dwyer was in Aus last i heard
    Eoin Ryan, would not be able for the nip and tuck of championship i think, Mike fitz - would be an option if only from an experience/leadership perspective, hurled well last year too.

Wouldnt be too au fait with the others you mentioned. Will see a few fellas off the bench sunday anyway, so we should learn a bit. (wont make this one, who's doing the report!!!!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Niall Moran's retirement hurting us a bit at present, he destroyed Antrim at full forward two years ago.

We're seeing now why they had no choice but to bring Dowling into the team for the Cork game, take him out and we really are very light on forward options.

Didn't think there would be many changes made, Richie McCarthy wasn't 100% fit/ready for the Cork game but it was decided that a tried and tested Richie McCarthy at 90% was less risky than throwing in a fully fit inexperienced young fella for the most important game of the league campaign. McCarthy did well and is now being given a well earned break.

And with Mulcahy being suspended I think that despite a slightly experimental look about this starting XV this is pretty much our strongest available team.

We'll win, but we won't hammer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Surprised they haven't gone with O'Loughlin at Full Back but the rest is about as good as it gets. Quaid at FF is alright, not top 6 level but should do alright. Be interesting to see who takes the frees. Tobin is the most senior forward in the team who takes frees, I think it should be him. Be good to see if he can handle it. Allis can always back him up and then Quaid if needs be.

I would be happy with a 6+ point win

• Advertisement

We struggled against them last year with a stronger team, and I reckon they're a better team this year. It won't be easy.

I'd have Gavin on frees myself, showed great accuracy on them when he took them in 2009... I suppose it would be a big ask to have him coming all the way up to take ones 20 or 30m, but as it is, we have Dowling trotting all over the pitch.

If we had to have a forward, I'd pick Tobin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Cork beat Laois tonight 0-14 to 0-7 in Portlaoise.
    So they now have a 7 point advantage over us, but we play tomorrow.
    I would have thought the Rebels would have won this one by far more, with no disrespect to Laois, but they have now played 2 games without scoring a goal.
    That's hard to believe, especially from Cork.
    TTM will not be happy with this result. We await his report.
    Hopefully we can score a few tomorrow but it will not be easy, without our 'heavy hitters' for the game. Hope the new lads can step up.

washman3 wrote: »
    I would have thought the Rebels would have won this one by far more, with no disrespect to Laois, but they have now played 2 games without scoring a goal.
    Hopefully we can score a few tomorrow but it will not be easy, without our 'heavy hitters' for the game. Hope the new lads can step up.

I'm not surprised. But Antrim are probably the weakest team in the division, and I'm not sure we'll score more than 7... unless we get goals, but Antrim are better than they used to be. Kevin Ryan is doing good work with them too and they have a few good young players coming through.

Wouldnt be too au fait with the others you mentioned. Will see a few fellas off the bench sunday anyway, so we should learn a bit. (wont make this one, who's doing the report!!!!?)

I'll be there, hopefully will be able to do a fairly detailed report.

Looking forward to this now.

washman3 wrote: »

I don't rate Cork, they've won nothing for years, that's no coincidence.

I have backed Antrim + 10 to beat us.

Nice 23 point win for Limerick against Antrim. 3-26 to 12. After a bad enough first half I never expected that score so fair play to the lads.

Bit of a surprise, was a very impressive attacking performance in the 2nd half... Antrim weren't very good at all, but we worked the ball nicely, exposed their frailties. A dominant defence helped.

Conor Allis was superb, James Ryan was very strong, Tom Ryan influential and Paul Browne got through an amount of work. In the 2nd half, they had no answer to the pace of O'Brien, Tobin, Ryan and Allis and we just tore them to pieces. Reidy also looked lively from the bench.

Reidy, Tobin and William Hickey got the goals.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I have backed Antrim + 10 to beat us.

:)

:)

Luckily I kept it small, €110, had considered putting a 4 figure sum on it.

• Advertisement

Great to put up a score, delighted with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement