Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Listened to the game today, great final result. Anyone at it with much to report? Sounded like Allis was excellent and Tom Ryan was good at midfield. Half back line was completely dominant but opposition wasn't great I guess. A batted goal and Wayne Mc and O'Brien picking up scores after continuing runs from the half back line to collect passes -classic O'Grady hallmarks. Seemed we went very much to a short game in the second half, obviously very effective given the score put up but I hope it doesn't get overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've just done a report... it's fairly extensive, probably a bit too long to be quite honest. But I often find that when I haven't seen a match, that reports are often very lacking and you don't really get any idea of what a game is like and how players beyond goalscorers/free-takers really played.

So I've tried to include an all-encompassing report, which includes key moments, as well overall assessments of the performance and tactics. So, it's there if you're interested in getting through the whole lot of it.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-hurling-league-1b-limerick-vs-antrim/

Condon, Carmody, the half-back line, Browne, Ryan, Allis, Jim-Bob... all were excellent. I'd say Browne was the best of the lot, although Allis was really classy, hit some great points. Ryan was much better when he moved to midfield (although that was early enough), really good player.

Tommy O'Brien is so so fast, caused huge problems when he ran at them... if we could get him running at teams, then he'd be an option. Tobin was classy in the 2nd half too. Good performance, but Antrim really fell apart in the 2nd half.

And shur, I'll do a player-by-player report since people like that, can be a good indication see how individual players got on.

Quaid- really had nothing to do bar puck the ball out, Antrim didn't come close to scoring a goal really. In fact, they scored a few really nice points from distance, didn't get beyond the 21 really. Puckouts were fine.

Walsh- Very solid, some really good play but wasn't threatened much. Maybe could have stuck tighter to Clarke for one score, but Clarke is a lively forward.

Condon- He's like a bullock at times, he just gets what he wants through sheer determination. He is skilful too, although sloppy at times, but he makes up for his mistakes through his strength. Dominated his position, he's a real leader... wasn't threatened too much today, but I'd have no worries with him going to full-back in an emergency.

Carmody- Fast, skilful, good on the ball... we are awash with good corner-backs atm. He was the sweeper, and he swept up well... again, didn't have much to do in the 2nd half at all. But what he did do, he did well.

O'Brien- Probably not as good as last week, he didn't have to be. He controlled his area of the pitch fairly well. Some nice distribution, and a great point, sidestep and struck beautifully.

Wayne- As a centre-back wasn't troubled too much, he got 0-2 in the first half from great runs forward. Looked comfortable on the ball, less inclined to charge into people and lose it than last year, was looking for the pass all the time. Defensively, the half-back line were strong, Carson is a big lump for Antrim, but Wayne handled him well, he didn't look a threat at all.

Gavin- In possession, I thought he was the best of the lot, he can pick a pass from anywhere really. And again, defensively he wasn't bothered much. Paul Shiels was technically his man and he scored 0-4 from play but most of them were from him drifting into the middle of the field and hitting shots from distance. Not sure they were his responsibility, hard to see whose they were, most came from breaking ball from puckouts. But Shiels is quality, some of those points were top class... and we dominated the midfield area in the 2nd half really.

Dodge- Scored a point early on, didn't have much of an influence... we were crowded out in midfield early on. Was involved in a tussle over by the sideline and ended up falling over the gate in front of the uncovered stand. Don't know if he was badly injured or what, but Reidy replaced him soon after that.

Browne- I've been harsh on him in the past, but he was class again today. I just can't overstate how much his intelligence and awareness as a hurler is key to how we play. The one time Antrim looked dangerous and broke towards goal, it was Browne who swept up and lead the charge out. Both of Wayne's points in the first half were basically down to the work of Browne, who just held the ball up, waited for him to make his run and then laid it off. Tobin's goal aswell, originated with him, was a fantastic move and he was at the heart of it. He always looks space, he opens it up for others, and if we are going to play a short passing game, we need a team of players who play like him. Didn't score, but he was everywhere, probably the best player on the pitch... although others grabbed the limelight.

Ryan- Such as Ryan. Didn't do much at half-forward, again, not much time to do so, but at midfield, he was immense. Pace, power, skill... he does have it all. One or two sloppy passes, but in general, he got his head up and looked for the runner, something he hasn't always done. His own runs were superb, they had no match for him, and cut through them easily in the 2nd half. Their trouble in trying to track him and Reidy was probably what caused them to fall to pieces, and we used the ball much better. Finished with 0-4, unlucky not to get a goal.

Jim-Bob- Imposes himself on the game, he works tirelessly, closes down... and although Allis and Reidy were good, I didn't really see them actually win a high ball. Ryan wins ball and that is vital. I think he's pretty much nailed on for the Championship. Only scored a point, touch let him down once or twice, but he was invaluable, consistent throughout.

Allis- Well, he was real good news story of the day, he just oozed class. He struck some beautiful scores from play, really really good ones. He showed some very nice touches, lovely bits of skill, when he runs at teams, he causes problems. His passing aswell was sometimes top-notch, one in particular to Tobin was just inch-perfect, gave the defence no chance. But the point-scoring was probably the most encouraging thing, he's been guilty of misses before... missed one free, I think, scored the rest... 0-5 from play. That's a big, big score. In the first half, he was the main scoring threat, really stood up today. Fantastic performance.

O'Brien- Very quiet first half, brushed off the ball too easily. Skinned his marker a few times, because he's so so fast. But the first time he didn't use the ball well at all, and got hooked. Next 2 times, he absolutely burned him, got so far clear that he couldn't not score. He's able to turn, he's super fast and when he runs at you, he causes problems and he can score. But will he turn a top corner-back... I really don't see him able to get that much space. If corner-backs can shut out someone as naturally talented as Mulcahy, they will be able to beat up O'Brien. I just wouldn't trust him up against a really good corner-back. Could be a good bench option though, at least his running is a genuine threat.

Quaid- Was ineffective for most of the game. But as O'Brien grew into the game, space opened up, and Quaid did aswell. Won a few nice balls, scored a point, and set up Tobin's goal extremely well. But on the whole, he was beaten most of the time, and he didn't really show enough to suggest he's good enough to be included come Championship.

Tobin- A lot was expected from Tobin, he was the senior scoring forward in the team, and he did finish with 1-3, more from play than anyone else. But bar an early point, he really was beaten to the ball every time in the first half. Worked hard, I suppose, but wasn't able to get his shot away. Maybe the quality of ball could have been better, and Antrim's defence was better at that point. When things opened up, he caused massive problems. Made runs across the pitch from left to right and right to left, which they found very hard to track. Took his goal very well, buried it as you'd expect him to. Set up a few scores and took his own well.... so.... not great first half, brilliant second half.

Reidy- Very lively, took his goal very well... might have got another when he was dragged down, looked like a penalty to me, ref said it was just outside. When he runs at teams, he causes problems, but he needs to get the ball into his hand. Touch let him down a few times, not a ball-winner in the air and sometimes struggled to get the ball into his hand on the first go, which won't be good enough. So while he did brilliantly when he ran at them, cut them open, he'll need to improve. Still, definitely a positive showing.

Morrissey- Dan didn't go to do much. Won one nice ball and laid it off well, led to a score. Came on on the wing, would suggest that TJ & O'Grady really see Wayne as the centre-back.

O'Loughlin- Really had nothing to do at all really.

Ryan- Missed a good chance when he came on, didn't do much else, ran at them a bit.

Hickey- Scored a goal with his first touch. Big lad, physical presence... obviously didn't have much time today, but I'm not convinced he's good enough for this level of hurling. Still, showed good awareness in batting the ball to the net to avoid being hooked. Was a good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Phenomenal win, great to see the strides being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

David Breen selected as AIB Munster Club Hurler of the Year...... :confused:

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    David Breen selected as AIB Munster Club Hurler of the Year...... :confused:

Bit odd, you'd have thought King or Downes would be more likely candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Bit odd, you'd have thought King or Downes would be more likely candidates.

Every Limerick manager seems to love him anyway so maybe there's something I'm missing but as I said on here recently, I don't rate him. Downes has been very good this year alright.

Colemania wrote: »
    Every Limerick manager seems to love him anyway so maybe there's something I'm missing but as I said on here recently, I don't rate him. Downes has been very good this year alright.

Clearly there is, fairly undermines your opinion anyway. Although to be honest, I thought Downes would have got it. Breen was very consistent at centre back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Think Breen moving from centre forward to centre back after the early rounds in Championship settled Na Piarsaigh's team.

Anyway, he's out for the rest of the league, it will be hard for him to get on the starting championship team now. A good option off the bench no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I've just done a report... it's fairly extensive, probably a bit too long to be quite honest. But I often find that when I haven't seen a match, that reports are often very lacking and you don't really get any idea of what a game is like and how players beyond goalscorers/free-takers really played.

So I've tried to include an all-encompassing report, which includes key moments, as well overall assessments of the performance and tactics. So, it's there if you're interested in getting through the whole lot of it.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-hurling-league-1b-limerick-vs-antrim/

Condon, Carmody, the half-back line, Browne, Ryan, Allis, Jim-Bob... all were excellent. I'd say Browne was the best of the lot, although Allis was really classy, hit some great points. Ryan was much better when he moved to midfield (although that was early enough), really good player.

Tommy O'Brien is so so fast, caused huge problems when he ran at them... if we could get him running at teams, then he'd be an option. Tobin was classy in the 2nd half too. Good performance, but Antrim really fell apart in the 2nd half.

good job sometimes in one sided games its hard to come up with anything other then a few lines,
    it may only have been antrim but 1200 is a very low atendance for the first home game of the munster champions and the first home game for tj and d,og plus in a big stadium like the gealic grounds it feels like there is no one there but your self, it would make you wonder where all the 40000 that were at the semi final were last week, and how many even knew the game was actually on,

the opposite was the case here in clare last year when we could'nt buy support if we paid for it.......then we got to the all ireland which now means season ticket holders cant get a seat in cusack park , alot of holes in the wood work at the moment!!

• Advertisement

francozola wrote: »
    Think Breen moving from centre forward to centre back after the early rounds in Championship settled Na Piarsaigh's team.

Anyway, he's out for the rest of the league, it will be hard for him to get on the starting championship team now. A good option off the bench no doubt.

Breen is a decent player, but he probably lacks the natural talent of some of the other players that he's up against... he really isn't a natural forward imo, simply because he's not a natural finisher- he's capable of scoring some spectacular scores but misses some very easy ones.

He works very hard, and that's why he's in the team... he's a big strong lad, and as a direct runner, he's a potent threat, plus he'll harry and hassle a full-back and stop them getting on top.

But for such a tall player, he's not really that good in the air, he doesn't catch much clean possession... he can bat it down alright, and if he was on the edge of the square, he would cause problems, but I like my half-forwards to be able to win clean ball.

But if it's a problem at half-forward, it's surely bigger at half-back.... I actually think he's more naturally suited to wing-back, but he's not better than the other options we have, and we have a lot. He's certainly not a full-back as Martin Kiely tried to tell us for ages.

I wouldn't have him starting, I think we have better options at this stage... James Ryan is my preferred workhorse in the half-forward line, but he's a good, versatile option to have.

good job sometimes in one sided games its hard to come up with anything other then a few lines,
    it may only have been antrim but 1200 is a very low atendance for the first home game of the munster champions and the first home game for tj and d,og plus in a big stadium like the gealic grounds it feels like there is no one there but your self, it would make you wonder where all the 40000 that were at the semi final were last week, and how many even knew the game was actually on,

the opposite was the case here in clare last year when we could'nt buy support if we paid for it.......then we got to the all ireland which now means season ticket holders cant get a seat in cusack park , alot of holes in the wood work at the moment!!

It seemed like a lot more than that though... the Mackey seemed almost full... clearly it wasn't, but I dunno, I would have put at more like 2500. Just shows how bad at judging crowds I am. Unless they didn't count U-16s who got in for free, and there was a fairly large amount of them there.

But yeah, I suppose it's hard to be enthused about a game against Antrim, particularly when it was so one-sided. And for some reason, some local clubs had training on the same day... a couple of people I know who would go to pretty much every home game couldn't attend because of training. I almost didn't make it myself... if you have other things on, you might put them aside for a Championship match, but it's hard to muster similar enthusiasm for a league clash against one of the weaker sides.

We have good news! :D

http://www.hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=210498
    The Limerick footballers have received a boost with the news that veteran midfielder John Galvin will make himself available for a 16th year.

The 33 year old admitted it was a '50-50' call on whether or not he would hang up the boots but manager John Brudair has got the answer he wanted to hear.

"I think there are only three of us still playing who played in the 1990s, myself, Dessie Dolan (Westmeath) and Paul Barden (Longford)," Galvin pointed out to the Irish Examiner.

"It's a lot different now compared to when I started in 1998. Training regimes are very intensive now and you just have to look after yourself so well, it's professional in all but name. The demands are huge now."

He continued: "I was 50-50 all along. Maybe if I hadn't done my cruciate twice before, it might have been an easier decision as you'd always be worried about doing it again.

"I had met twice with John (Brudair, Limerick manager) and he explained he'd like to have me back. But at the same time he wasn't putting any pressure on me.

"We agreed that we'd leave it a few weeks and that I'd get back to him. It's a process every player has to go through but I didn't realise just how hard it would be."

What a legend of a man, hope we have a great year in what might be his last. One of the best footballers of his generation, a truly class player.

Football team announced for the weekend. Tough game against Roscommon, who are one of the favourites for promotion- two wins to date, will certainly fancy their chances. Limerick have been better than I expected, Brudair is working well; I imagine that had a big impact on Galvin returning. Maybe Lavin will follow.... Galvin isn't on the bench for the weekend... or at least he's not been named there, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a surprise appearance. Even his presence would be a boost.

1. Donal O’Sullivan (Monaleen)
    2. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s)
    3. Padraig Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    4. Mark O’Riordan (Croom)
    5. John Riordan (Fr. Casey’s)
    6. Ian Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s)
    9. Thomas Lee (Ballylanders)
    10. Micheal Brosnan (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    11. Eoin Hanrahan (St Patrick’s)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Captain)(Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    14. John Mullane (St Patrick’s)
    15. Ian Ryan (Vice Captain) (St. Senan’s)

Couple of changes to the starting team; Gearoid Hegarty comes in at midfield for Darragh Treacy; good to see him involved, think he's a talented player. Maybe a bit surprised it's for Treacy but the competition will improve them all. Mullane replaces O'Carroll- he's a dangerman for St. Pats; that's 3 St. Pat's players in the starting team. Maybe slightly surprised that Fitzgibbon wasn't brought in after impressing the last day, but it shows attacking intent, I guess, Mullane is definitely a scoring forward.

And the bench:
    16. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin’s)
    17. Lorcan O’Dwyer (Pallasgreen)
    18. Stephen Lucey (Croom)
    19. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins)
    20. James O’Meara (Ballysteen)
    21. Darragh Treacy (St. Kieran’s)
    22. Seamus O’Carroll (Cappagh/Kilcornan)
    23. Michael Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    24. Derry McCarthy (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    25. Killian Phair (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    26. Danny Neville (Ballysteen)

Few new faces even without Galvin's return. I was calling for Killian Phair to be introduced, well he's there now, hopefully he gets a run.

Colm Moran, Mike Sheahan and Garrett Noonan have dropped out of the 26; I would imagine that Sheahan is injured, he's a good player and was named to start, would be surprising if he missed out completely. So Phair replaces Noonan in the forward line, and Stephen Cahill and the return of Stephen Lucey are the additions in the backline.

With Eoghan and Derry O'Connor, O'Brien, Galvin, hopefully Lavin and Donovan; not to mention Sheahan and maybe Paul White still to come in, it's not a bad bench at all.

Certainly wouldn't have any fears about O'Dwyer and Lucey coming in; O'Meara is a versatile and energetic player, seemed to do well against Longford; Treacy is a strong midfielder, able to score too; Fitzgibbon has impressed in attack, Derry McCarthy is a clever footballer, O'Carroll has bundles of pace and is a goalscorer and I have big hopes for Phair.

So, yeah, all things considered- I'm delighted with what Brudair has done so far. I was downcast at the start of the season, but he's filled me with optimism once more. The introduction of the likes of Hanrahan, Brosnan, Hegarty and Fitzgibbon and them doing well is definitely the highlight. Not to mention the form of Corbett and Collins...... and we're not playing overly negative football. I'm happy.

Well... we lost, that's disappointing. Think we were 14 points down at half-time, that's really poor. But I didn't get to watch or listen to the match, so I can't really judge.

Thought we'd be much closer than that tbh.

Heard the senior hurlers played a challenge yesterday.
    Any one know how it went?

Heard the senior hurlers played a challenge yesterday.
    Any one know how it went?

Can't find anything about it... I think it was against Kilkenny? Who would have been missing their Leinster contingent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Well... we lost, that's disappointing. Think we were 14 points down at half-time, that's really poor. But I didn't get to watch or listen to the match, so I can't really judge.

Thought we'd be much closer than that tbh.

Something like 1-14 to 0-3 down at half time, and we had played with a strong wind. Very unlike this bunch to concede 21 points, but scores are higher all round now due to the introduction of the black card.
    Should really have started our strongest available 15 for this one and leave the experimenting for home games. One of those days when everything went right for the Rossies and vice versa for us.
    We allowed a 10 point gap to open before making changes. Ranahan did not start (illness I heard) replaced by O'Meara who had a nightmare. In fact our backline was torn to shreds. The introduction of Lucey made quite a difference, steadied things up a bit.
    One consolation, we outscored the Rossies 10 points to 8 in the second half, amazingly playing against the wind.
    Once again our failure to convert goal chances cost us dearly, 4 clear chances went abegging. Having said that our keeper O'Sullivan made 2/3 outstanding saves, but al least he was forced to save unlike our chances at the other end where we dilly-daddled at close range and even over-carried on one occasion when it was easier shoot for goal.
    Roscommon were full value for their win, playing some great football. Themselves and Cavan should make it out of this division.
    We play Wexford at home next Sunday and we should expect a huge improvement.

washman3 wrote: »
    Something like 1-14 to 0-3 down at half time, and we had played with a strong wind. Very unlike this bunch to concede 21 points, but scores are higher all round now due to the introduction of the black card.
    Should really have started our strongest available 15 for this one and leave the experimenting for home games. One of those days when everything went right for the Rossies and vice versa for us.
    We allowed a 10 point gap to open before making changes. Ranahan did not start (illness I heard) replaced by O'Meara who had a nightmare. In fact our backline was torn to shreds. The introduction of Lucey made quite a difference, steadied things up a bit.
    One consolation, we outscored the Rossies 10 points to 8 in the second half, amazingly playing against the wind.
    Once again our failure to convert goal chances cost us dearly, 4 clear chances went abegging. Having said that our keeper O'Sullivan made 2/3 outstanding saves, but al least he was forced to save unlike our chances at the other end where we dilly-daddled at close range and even over-carried on one occasion when it was easier shoot for goal.
    Roscommon were full value for their win, playing some great football. Themselves and Cavan should make it out of this division.
    We play Wexford at home next Sunday and we should expect a huge improvement.

Would have expected us to keep a tighter defence than that alright. We were ripped apart by Cork last year and that was disappointing. Just because there are black cards doesn't mean that disciplined defending is out of fashion..... and I'd expect much more from the likes of McCarthy, Razor, Riordan and Browne...

Did Lucey go to centre-back when he came on? He's still a good player, but with his fitness issues in recent years, it's not great that we're relying on him.

I heard about the goal chances alright, was a problem against Sligo, and a problem again here. Have to take them when you're given gilt-edged opportunities... but I suppose the game would have been completely different had they gone in. It's something for Brudair to work on.

At least O'Sullivan seems to be going well, quality goalkeeper. I think we can beat Wexford.

Wexford in a double header on Sunday, 1 and 3pm.

Would encourage people to go along to this, could be a good day. Hurling match is a big one, Hannon might be on the bench for it, it's a must-win... as they all are but Wexford will be targeting this for a victory.

Footballers need to win aswell, need to win as many of their home games as possible if they are to stay up. I don't think there's much between most of the teams in the division but they need to bounce back from last week's result.

I only hope I can make it to the match myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Wexford in a double header on Sunday, 1 and 3pm.

Would encourage people to go along to this, could be a good day. Hurling match is a big one, Hannon might be on the bench for it, it's a must-win... as they all are but Wexford will be targeting this for a victory.

Footballers need to win aswell, need to win as many of their home games as possible if they are to stay up. I don't think there's much between most of the teams in the division but they need to bounce back from last week's result.

I only hope I can make it to the match myself.

Was the hurlers match with Wexford not originally pegged for Wexford Park? I'm nearly sure it was an away match.

• Advertisement

Not the most scientific measure I know, but given the respective results against Antrim we should beat Wexford relatively comfortably. We drew last year when we put out our B team when we were already qualified for the league final. Not saying they'll be a pushover but we have reason to be confident of a win. Will be interesting to see whether any of the players not available for the last few games are back yet. Would like to see Tom Ryan continue at midfield or get a run at wing back.

grenache wrote: »
    Was the hurlers match with Wexford not originally pegged for Wexford Park? I'm nearly sure it was an away match.

Not 100% sure tbh, thought it had always been pegged as a potential double header match.

Not the most scientific measure I know, but given the respective results against Antrim we should beat Wexford relatively comfortably. We drew last year when we put out our B team when we were already qualified for the league final. Not saying they'll be a pushover but we have reason to be confident of a win. Will be interesting to see whether any of the players not available for the last few games are back yet. Would like to see Tom Ryan continue at midfield or get a run at wing back.

Definitely wouldn't go on something like that... I think Wexford are pretty decent, and they won't collapse in the 2nd half like Antrim did. With us putting out a weakened team, this will be the game they'll be targeting to possibly gain promotion- a win here would be a huge confidence boost for them.

I know last year we had a weaker team out, but I think they may have too; they're a lot better now... and they had nothing to play for, even if they won they wouldn't have made the final.

I think we'll win, but it'll be very close imo. Would like to see Ryan deeper, but I'd say that will depend on Reidy starting; as I'd say it's too early for the NaP lads- give them another week. Maybe 1 of them, but I can't see them picking Dowling again.

Is Mulcahy's suspension over now?
    Suppose they will have to go with the strongest XV available for Sunday.

Is Mulcahy's suspension over now?
    Suppose they will have to go with the strongest XV available for Sunday.

Not sure actually. I hope so, we could definitely use him. Wexford are no pushovers.

Both teams named tonight.

I'd like to see:

Murphy; Carmody, McCarthy, Condon; McNamara, O'Mahony, T. Ryan; Browne, O'Brien; Reidy, J. Ryan, Allis; Mulcahy, Tobin, O'Brien

and

O'Sullivan; O'Riordan, McCarthy, Riordan; Corbett, Lucey, Ranahan; Treacy, Lee; Hegarty, Fitzgibbon, Buckley; Collins, Ryan, Phair

Although the quicker we get Bobby O'Brien and Eoghan O'Connor back for the footballers, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

GOM is not a CB imo, wouldnt move him to shoe horn Ryan into side but worth a go in the short term maybe. Wexford huge challenge, drew with Dub and Clare last year.

Mulcahy surely has a week to go, one month from the 14th right?

GOM is not a CB imo, wouldnt move him to shoe horn Ryan into side but worth a go in the short term maybe. Wexford huge challenge, drew with Dub and Clare last year.

I don't think Wayne is a centre-back either but BOTH have played there at club level... I want to see someone else tried there.

Agree with that on Gavin. Maybe worth a look but don't see GOM at 6 for summer. What's the update on DOG, is he injured for this game? I'd like to see him at 6 again. Hickey is the next option for me and would love to have given him a run of games there for the league but not available and will find it hard to get into the side at all for championship I'd say. Breen maybe the next option based on club form, also not available and also will find it hard to break back into the team.

In the forwards Reidy should get a start. Wonder will they look to bring in the Na p players yet. When is Hannon due back?

Agree with that on Gavin. Maybe worth a look but don't see GOM at 6 for summer. What's the update on DOG, is he injured for this game? I'd like to see him at 6 again. Hickey is the next option for me and would love to have given him a run of games there for the league but not available and will find it hard to get into the side at all for championship I'd say. Breen maybe the next option based on club form, also not available and also will find it hard to break back into the team.

In the forwards Reidy should get a start. Wonder will they look to bring in the Na p players yet. When is Hannon due back?

I really do think that Hickey is too good to leave off the team; he might find it hard to break in, but I think it'd be a mistake not to include him somewhere.

People have always said he'll be a great Limerick centre-back, but he's in his mid-20s now and I don't think he's ever played a Championship game there. If he is the answer, this is the season to step into the role as we have a gap. I'm not sure about it... is he a dominant enough force in the air to play there? He also might be a bit loose for a central position- I think midfield is his best position. He's a wonderful hurler though, and he'll run all day for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Someone else mentioned Hannon is close, also mulcahy will be back and the Na P boys can be drafted back in for the last 2 games, so sunday is the big one really.

Yeah CB is still the problem, think Jimbob has nailed down CF with two better hurlers either side of him, and we have decent options in most other positions, not sure where to go at CB clearly the management dont fancy cathal mac. Currently Wayn is in front by a fair distance and i dont see them changing up for sunday tbh.

• Advertisement

Someone else mentioned Hannon is close, also mulcahy will be back and the Na P boys can be drafted back in for the last 2 games, so sunday is the big one really.

Yeah CB is still the problem, think Jimbob has nailed down CF with two better hurlers either side of him, and we have decent options in most other positions, not sure where to go at CB clearly the management dont fancy cathal mac. Currently Wayn is in front by a fair distance and i dont see them changing up for sunday tbh.

Someone told me that he might be on the bench this weekend, but they might have read it on here for all I know!

Would definitely have Jim-Bob somewhere in the half-forward line, you do need a workhorse. I know some people slag him off but I'd have serious worries about the work-rate/ball-winning ability of a half-forward line of Dowling/Allis/Hannon. Jim-Bob will win ball, and break ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement