Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Would be violent if dowling doesn't start at full forward

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Rightwing wrote: »
    Not sure about that one, Irl always blow up just when peoples' hopes are up.

Now LK are in the driving seat here, we shouldn't really blow this one.

One clinical performance against Antrim and a poor performance against Wexford. Two away games to go... we're only in the driving seat because we've played Antrim which Cork still have to do.

I hope we do it, but I wouldn't be confident. Ireland are playing a shambolic France, they'll win.
    Would be violent if dowling doesn't start at full forward

I'd say he will... surely has to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Fireball07 wrote: »
    One clinical performance against Antrim and a poor performance against Wexford. Two away games to go... we're only in the driving seat because we've played Antrim which Cork still have to do.

I hope we do it, but I wouldn't be confident. Ireland are playing a shambolic France, they'll win.

I'd say he will... surely has to.

I think we need to get out of Div 1b, we are there too long through no fault of the team. I think this is our best chance now. O Grady surely must realise this and try and rack up a big score v Laois in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Hearing a few mutterings about Dowling being used as an impact player for the Championship due to possible fitness/weight issues.

To be honest Fireball with over 11 weeks to championship I'd take these kind of mutterings with huge grain of salt.

Pandiani wrote: »
    To be honest Fireball with over 11 weeks to championship I'd take these kind of mutterings with huge grain of salt.

I actually meant mutterings from fans... as in that's what certain sections of the support want! I think TJ is a massive fan of Dowling, and would be surprised if O'Grady isn't aswell.

But I think it's madness that some of our fans would be happy to see one of our most talented players dropped.

• Advertisement

Saw rumours on twitter saying the 3 Quigley brothers have left the Fermanagh panel. Fermanagh management team refusing to comment.

Would be a massive blow to them, would be a huge boot for us for the weeked; Seamus and Sean are quality footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

First of all, I still refuse to discount the notion that one of Wexford or Offaly will decide the group by taking points from us or hopefully Cork.

But assuming things go to form, it remains a shootout with Cork.

Our advantage is currently 13 points, Cork could easily wipe that out this weekend. We should beat Offaly but a big win would surprise me, we have gone to Tullamore and won a few times in recent memory but the margin of victory has generally been 4 points or thereabouts.

I've a feeling Cork and Limerick will head in to round 5 separated by no more than 3 points, in fact Cork might even sneak ahead this weekend. But luckily for us we have the easier round 5 game.

Not sure what impact it will have but Offaly and Antrim can't finish top 4 and are out of the running for a quarter final spot. They have nothing to play for in their final two rounds which for them amount to nothing more than two practise rounds ahead of a relegation play off between the two.

Poor old Laois will probably play Clare in the QF's with Wexford probably playing Kilkenny. I'm assuming Clare will top 1A with KK in second, meaning our quarter final opponents will come from whoever finishes 3rd and 4th in 1A from Gal, Wat, Dub and Tipp.

IF we play Clare, Kilkenny or Tipperary in a quarter final, we are guaranteed a home game. I think it's unlikely Clare and Kilkenny will not finish 3rd or 4th so I'm hoping for Tipperary.

IF we play Waterford, Galway or Dublin, home venue goes to a coin toss.

Hanalei wrote: »
    IF we play Clare, Kilkenny or Tipperary in a quarter final, we are guaranteed a home game. I think it's unlikely Clare and Kilkenny will not finish 3rd or 4th so I'm hoping for Tipperary.

IF we play Waterford, Galway or Dublin, home venue goes to a coin toss.

Why are we guaranteed a home game against Clare, KK, Tipp? I don't know how it's decided.

Personally, I'm sick of Tipp, and we're playing them in the Championship anyway. I'd nearly rather to play Clare/Kilkenny, see where we're at. Even if we get beaten, it'll show us what we need to for the Championship. Wouldn't mind Waterford either, think they're coming together nicely, would be a good test.

I actually meant mutterings from fans... as in that's what certain sections of the support want! I think TJ is a massive fan of Dowling, and would be surprised if O'Grady isn't aswell.

But I think it's madness that some of our fans would be happy to see one of our most talented players dropped.

I've a feeling that type of talk will always follow Shane Dowling, a lot of people commenting unfairly on his weight (which I personally don't see as a problem) in the last few years, the fact they brought him back for the Cork game says everything we need to know about how much DO'G and TJR rate him.

Why are we guaranteed a home game against Clare, KK, Tipp? I don't know how it's decided.

Personally, I'm sick of Tipp, and we're playing them in the Championship anyway. I'd nearly rather to play Clare/Kilkenny, see where we're at. Even if we get beaten, it'll show us what we need to for the Championship. Wouldn't mind Waterford either, think they're coming together nicely, would be a good test.

Hi, explanation is a bit long winded so I'll throw up a link which will explain it better than I will:P http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2013/11/allianz-national-hurling-league-fixtures-structure-for-2014/

Scroll to the Quarter Finals section.

Quarter Finals
    A. 1st placed Division 1a v 4th placed Division 1b
    B. 2nd Division 1a v 3rd Division 1b
    C. 3rd Division 1a v 2nd Division 1b
    D. 4th Division 1a v 1st Division 1b
    Quarterfinals to be on a Home and Away basis, with home venue decided as follows:
      [*] Where a team who has had 2 home games in the Regular season draws a team who has had 3 home games in the Regular Season, HOME venue goes to team who has had only 2 home games in the Regular season
      [*]Where two teams who have had 2 home games play each other, or where two teams who have had 3 home games play each other, toss for HOME venue

- See more at: http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2013/11/allianz-national-hurling-league-fixtures-structure-for-2014/#sthash.rBJpJWWY.dpuf

EDIT: Clare, Kilkenny and Tipperary have 3 home games in 1A and we only have 2!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I would like to avoid playing Tipp if at all possible before Championship.

1A looks very competitive, with teams able to take points off each other.
      Can't really predict the way 1A is going to finish.

A home QF against Kilkenny would be a great test to see where we lie, it would also grab the attention of the county and I'm sure a great turnout would be at the present at the Gaelic Grounds.

For Sunday, I would like to see King, Dempsey for starters on the 15. Presume it's named on Friday night?

francozola wrote: »
      I would like to avoid playing Tipp if at all possible before Championship.

1A looks very competitive, with teams able to take points off each other.
      Can't really predict the way 1A is going to finish.

A home QF against Kilkenny would be a great test to see where we lie, it would also grab the attention of the county and I'm sure a great turnout would be at the present at the Gaelic Grounds.

For Sunday, I would like to see King, Dempsey for starters on the 15. Presume it's named on Friday night?

On 1A, you'd have to expect Clare to win their home games v Galway and Waterford, and Kilkenny should win at home to Waterford. If that happens, then Clare are guaranteed to finish 1st with Kilkenny 2nd, so we will most likely avoid them.

I'd love a QF v Tipperary, chance to lay down a marker ahead of the championship game and would draw a mighty crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Would also very much prefer to avoid tipp.

Hard to speculate on dowling right now, he doesn't look fit for 70 mins championship at the moment but hopefully he's right by the opening round. The league may not be the best guide for that.

Hope Tom Ryan, King and Dempsey get a start the weekend. Incidentally, what's the point in waiting til fri night to name the team? Are they training Friday evenings?

Curious to hear reasons for wanting to avoid Tipp? (Not saying ye're wrong or anything, just genuinely curious to hear your reasons:))

Curious to hear reasons for wanting to avoid Tipp? (Not saying ye're wrong or anything, just genuinely curious to hear your reasons:))

We're sick of playing em, simple as that. Playing em in c'ship anyway

Hmmm, point taken.

On that note, we haven't played Galway in a long time; no championship meeting since 2005 and no league meeting since 2010. I'd love to play them, fairly poor record against them over the years, can't remember the last time we beat them. Surely we had a win or two over them in the league since beating them in the final in 1997?

Hmmm, point taken.

On that note, we haven't played Galway in a long time; no championship meeting since 2005 and no league meeting since 2010. I'd love to play them, fairly poor record against them over the years, can't remember the last time we beat them. Surely we had a win or two over them in the league since beating them in the final in 1997?

Can't see Galway making the quarters tbqh, I think we'd beat them. Perhaps that's me being over-confident but I do think we're better than them.

Don't want to play Tipp because we're sick of meeting them, and I'd rather not show our hand, so to speak, before the Championship either. And I think we know what they bring at this stage, would much rather face KK, Clare or Waterford.

Tipp play Galway this weekend. Whoever wins that should make the QFs.
      Galway's last game will be against Clare and who knows how many of the Portumna boys they will have back for them

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Yeah along with the others, sick of playing them. Whoever won too there'd be an element of doubt as to whether either team was holding back. A game against Clare or kk would be a great measure of where we're at. I'd love to see us win the quarter and get another high standard game out of the league, the more games we get the better at this stage.

Limerick v Fermanagh: O'Sullivan; Browne McCarthy Moran; Corbett Lucey Ranahan; Lee Galvin; Hanrahan Brosnan Buckley; Neville Collins Ryan

Neville done well once he came on last week. Lorcan looked at sea last week in the frist 20. Good to Galvin starting.

Limerick v Offaly: Murphy; Walsh McCarthy Condon; O'Brien McNamara O'Mahony; Browne O'Grady; Allis Ryan Reidy; Mulcahy Downes TO'Brien

Happy to see Murphy, Reidy and TOB get the start. Must be frustrating for King/Dempsey and a few others looking on in.

• Advertisement

Happy with the 3 changes, but come on lads make one switch in the half back line please. Downes to CF at some point too.

francozola wrote: »
      Limerick v Fermanagh: O'Sullivan; Browne McCarthy Moran; Corbett Lucey Ranahan; Lee Galvin; Hanrahan Brosnan Buckley; Neville Collins Ryan

Neville done well once he came on last week. Lorcan looked at sea last week in the frist 20. Good to Galvin starting.

That's a strong team, interesting to see Moran get a start too. Ranahan back on the wing, but no John Riordan or Razor.

Obviously great to have Galvin back, but no sign of Treacy or Hegarty in the starting team.

And after Neville and Boris Hanrahan did well from the bench, seems fair that they'd start. I think that's the strongest team we've put out so far.

Limerick v Offaly: Murphy; Walsh McCarthy Condon; O'Brien McNamara O'Mahony; Browne O'Grady; Allis Ryan Reidy; Mulcahy Downes TO'Brien

Happy to see Murphy, Reidy and TOB get the start. Must be frustrating for King/Dempsey and a few others looking on in.

Agree with you about Murphy, Reidy and O'Brien; but yeah... King, Dempsey, Downes at CF, someone else at CB... we surely should be trying to give ourself options. Still no Hannon on the bench.

Drew with Offaly- fcuked up our promotion chances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

speechless :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Typical Story with Limerick it is like we have a fear of promotion, to twice be four points or more up in the closing stages and give away goals is just not good enough.
      We really need to sort out our half forward line.

First of all, I still refuse to discount the notion that one of Wexford or Offaly will decide the group by taking points from us or hopefully Cork.

F**k :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Feck it its disappointing. Still we'll get a decent game by playing one of the top 4. Look it Waterford, Tipp or Dublin will probably join us next year. 1b isn't the disaster people think it is if its used to have a look at lots of players but we haven't done that this year. We had a very strong team named today and failed to fire. We've named strong teams all year and we've played poorly against Wexford and Offaly and only got going against Cork when our backs were against the wall. We always seem to fail to put two seasons together and I fear we're doing it again!

Naming William Hickey at CF to replace Ryan was madness.
      Really incompetent management.
      Move Downes to CF and Dowling to FF.

I actually feel sick- disaster in both hurling and football. Not only that, but I went into town to go to the football match without realising it was on in NCW. :o

But as for the hurling... what was going on at all? Why didn't they bring on Dowling when Offaly really looked to be coming into it? Why are we playing a pretty strong team and not putting teams away? Sounded very lax at times....

• Advertisement

The manner of that defeat is disappointing.

At least mulcahy seems to be back.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement