Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I only caught the last 10 mins of the first half and the second on the radio. Who played centre forward, Allis?

From what I gathered, Downes was once again class, Browne is playing great, Paudie had trouble with Dooley, Mulcahy was good, Condon and Richie made a few mistakes, we persist with short puck outs which are sometimes followed up with the receiver driving it not much further than the goalie would have in the first place, and finally our lovely support play in the backs from last year seems to have gone to ****e with far too many passes taken. Why in the name of god did we take off our free taker with seven mins to go?

I'm pretty sickened with the result in a game it seems we should have won especially given the way we put ourselves in control of our path out of division 2 in the first two rounds.

I know we've been down a few with injury and with resting the Na p lads but the selections in the back 9 especially have even a bit uninspiring. The performance against Wexford last week was a bit weak I thought and another limp enough performance today, it seems, doesn't look great. Does anyone know is Tom Ryan injured now?

All in all pretty sickened not to see much development in the team and to be facing into another year stuck in division two playing the likes of Tipp which is hampering development of some of our talented young players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

ery disappointing. We've let Cork right off the hook. Only consolation is I won nice bet, instead of losing up - thumbs up to the poster for pointing out 4/7 was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I only caught the last 10 mins of the first half and the second on the radio. Who played centre forward, Allis?

From what I gathered, Downes was once again class, Browne is playing great, Paudie had trouble with Dooley, Mulcahy was good, Condon and Richie made a few mistakes, we persist with short puck outs which are sometimes followed up with the receiver driving it not much further than the goalie would have in the first place, and finally our lovely support play in the backs from last year seems to have gone to ****e with far too many passes taken. Why in the name of god did we take off our free taker with seven mins to go?

I'm pretty sickened with the result in a game it seems we should have won especially given the way we put ourselves in control of our path out of division 2 in the first two rounds.

I know we've been down a few with injury and with resting the Na p lads but the selections in the back 9 especially have even a bit uninspiring. The performance against Wexford last week was a bit weak I thought and another limp enough performance today, it seems, doesn't look great. Does anyone know is Tom Ryan injured now?

All in all pretty sickened not to see much development in the team and to be facing into another year stuck in division two playing the likes of Tipp which is hampering development of some of our talented young players.

When I saw that team picked for a vital match against Offaly in Tullamore I was not at all confident and then see them quoted at 2/7 in the betting, Offaly must have thrown a few bob and said lets have a go at these guys we have often beaten them. What's this nonsense about resting young players who have been beaten in an all Ireland Semi almost a :mad: month ago.... Rubbish

shawnee wrote: »
    When I saw that team picked for a vital match against Offaly in Tullamore I was not at all confident and then see them quoted at 2/7 in the betting, Offaly must have thrown a few bob and said lets have a go at these guys we have often beaten them. What's this nonsense about resting young players who have been beaten in an all Ireland Semi almost a :mad: month ago.... Rubbish

On resting the Na P players, not sure that was a factor, or an excuse, for this game. Downes started. Of the rest, Breen is out until the end of the league, Dowling doesn't seem fit for intercounty hurling (he was picked for frees for the cork game), but there's no excuse for not having given one or both of king and Dempsey a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The team today was plenty good enough to beat Offaly. It's not the selection in itself that I'd blame. But use of the bench was terrible, even listening on the radio, you could tell Offaly were starting a fightback- why wasn't Dowling brought in to give us a target man and get a few scores??

How many times did Limerick overplay the ball in defence and squander possession? Offaly seemed to be very quick to close down the short passing game in defence, and I'm not 100% sure that all the players we have are suited to the game- they're not all Paul Browne.

And how many fouls did we make? They stayed in the game thanks to frees, the ref may or may not have been fussy, but the backs should be good enough to hold them out- this is not a strong Offaly team at all. Also conceded goals and other goal chances, sounded like Wayne and Richie Mc were both turned on a few occasions and that's not good enough.

Absolutely gutting to throw it away like that and if the management don't cop on and start to sort things out, we won't be ready for the Championship. I'd nearly welcome a really tough quarter-final draw... Clare would be great. Either we up our game a huge amount, or we get a hammering and open the management's eyes. Dublin got destroyed this time last year against Tipp, went on to win Leinster and were unlucky not to make the AI final (which they may have won).

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The team today was plenty good enough to beat Offaly. It's not the selection in itself that I'd blame. But use of the bench was terrible, even listening on the radio, you could tell Offaly were starting a fightback- why wasn't Dowling brought in to give us a target man and get a few scores??

How many times did Limerick overplay the ball in defence and squander possession? Offaly seemed to be very quick to close down the short passing game in defence, and I'm not 100% sure that all the players we have are suited to the game- they're not all Paul Browne.

And how many fouls did we make? They stayed in the game thanks to frees, the ref may or may not have been fussy, but the backs should be good enough to hold them out- this is not a strong Offaly team at all. Also conceded goals and other goal chances, sounded like Wayne and Richie Mc were both turned on a few occasions and that's not good enough.

Absolutely gutting to throw it away like that and if the management don't cop on and start to sort things out, we won't be ready for the Championship. I'd nearly welcome a really tough quarter-final draw... Clare would be great. Either we up our game a huge amount, or we get a hammering and open the management's eyes. Dublin got destroyed this time last year against Tipp, went on to win Leinster and were unlucky not to make the AI final (which they may have won).

I just don't like this mickey mouse short passing game from the backline, coughed up a few scores today.

Absolutely agree, Clare would smash us into the ground at the minute.

Our only hope is Cork are piss poor, Wex can do a number on them.

I don't understand the passing out of defence breakdowns. We worked the ball out of defence with short passes usually followed by a clearance or picking out a man in midfield last year. Is it coaching this year overcomplicating things or the form of the players? In fairness, the form of the players is down to the coaching/training too.

I don't understand the passing out of defence breakdowns. We worked the ball out of defence with short passes usually followed by a clearance or picking out a man in midfield last year. Is it coaching this year overcomplicating things or the form of the players? In fairness, the form of the players is down to the coaching/training too.

I don't know what it is either... but the only hope we have is that it finally clicks. I guess we have to persist with it at this stage, but you have to learn to adapt. I mean Clare looked really poor against Cork, and even Waterford in Munster last year. The game they were playing wasn't working... Davy tweaked it in the qualifiers and they never looked back.

There's nothing wrong with any style of play in itself, but you have to learn how to play the opposition. If a team are pushing up, closing down the short puckouts and marking everyone around... then a short game out of defence won't always work... but that surely means there is more space up the field.

We were doing it under O Grady 2 years ago. It didn't work then, and unlikely to work now.

We blew a golden opportunity to get out of this division.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i a not sure division 1B is any worse at the moment we were winning by 23 points at half time today, i honestly dont think the likes of antrim or laois would allow for that to happen, some people are saying that it was down to clare been good as opposed to waterford being bad but in fairness thats not true no team in at this level is that far ahead

as it stands limerick would have a home 1/4 final tie against an experimental kilkenny and i would give ye every chance of wining it bere in mind no team bar clare last week against a makeshift tipp side have won away from home in division 1A

whatever you may think this seasons league has not been as competitive as it first looked , if tipperary fail to beat dublin next week they will have only one game (the relegation playoff on march the 30th) to prepare for the munster championship which would leave the advantage with limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Wexford for promotion,god ya would swear Dowling and Downes were the answer going by reports

68deville wrote: »
    Wexford for promotion,god ya would swear Dowling and Downes were the answer going by reports

Eh? Dowling hasn't been playing. Downes has been superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Anyway,swear they world beaters,which one needs ta loose a few ounces?

i a not sure division 1B is any worse at the moment we were winning by 23 points at half time today, i honestly dont think the likes of antrim or laois would allow for that to happen, some people are saying that it was down to clare been good as opposed to waterford being bad but in fairness thats not true no team in at this level is that far ahead

as it stands limerick would have a home 1/4 final tie against an experimental kilkenny and i would give ye every chance of wining it bere in mind no team bar clare last week against a makeshift tipp side have won away from home in division 1A

whatever you may think this seasons league has not been as competitive as it first looked , if tipperary fail to beat dublin next week they will have only one game (the relegation playoff on march the 30th) to prepare for the munster championship which would leave the advantage with limerick

Tipp are not in a great position... but at least they know for absolute certain what they have to do to compete against top opposition. The concession of goals for them has been a massive issue, but they are testing new players... some of their more experienced campaigners need to really step up. I'm not sure they will, O'Shea has a big test ahead of him and it's not certain he has the ability to do so.

But Limerick seem to be persevering with the same format, with limited experimentation. If it turns out we are not able to do this style in the Championship, it could be ugly... bar a 2nd half with 14 men against Cork, and a 2nd half against an Antrim side who fell apart, we've been poor. That's roughly 70 mins in the entire league. And what have we learned? Not much really, we have no idea where we're at for the Championship tbqh.

I really really hope we click, but I'd love to play Kilkenny in the quarters- a game against them or Clare is probably what we need at this stage. An away clash against Waterford or Dublin would be a big, big test aswell.

As for Downes & Dowling- both are quality hurlers. Downes has it all, would get in any team in the country imo. Dowling certainly has the ability, he's still so young aswell. Both are certainties for the Championship, but we have to make the best use of him... Downes scored 0-3 today I think, and set up a couple of scores, but it's criminal how little ball gets to him.

Downes had a great game today by all accounts. I wouldn't be writing off Tipp at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I would never write off tipperary either but as i said if they dont win next week they will have to wait over two months for the first round of the munster championship which wont help if limerick stay involved in the league,

as far as i know the top two in each division will get home advantage against the 3rd or 4th placed team in the opposite group which would favor limerick as it stands they would play kilkenny which would be a great test for them

68deville wrote: »
    Anyway,swear they world beaters,which one needs ta loose a few ounces?

Ah, you're just a wind up that can't spell or formulate sentences. Carry on so.

I would never write off tipperary either but as i said if they dont win next week they will have to wait over two months for the first round of the munster championship which wont help if limerick stay involved in the league,

as far as i know the top two in each division will get home advantage against the 3rd or 4th placed team in the opposite group which would favor limerick as it stands they would play kilkenny which would be a great test for them

I think home advantage depends on how many home games the team had in the league part. If a team who had 2 plays a team who had 3, then they are at home. I think it's a draw for home advantage if they both played the same amount of home games.

Kk at home would be a great game to try gauge where we are at.

I'm not optimistic on our development from last year though. Despite enforced absences preventing more widespread changes we haven't developed much depth from last year. Half back line and midfield seem set in stone. No new options at 6 or 11 where despite having massive respect for our players there, I think we know what they can do and should have looked a bit beyond. Downes was always going to break into the team again, and Dowling will if he reaches fitness and form in time. Allis and Ryan were the next two that might break in IMO, Allis we still don't know about and Ryan had one great display and hasn't been seen since. Dempsey and King seemed in pole position to contest positions in the full back line and haven't got a run yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Feel about the same as rest of ye, big chance missed, some questionable tactics and selections. Definitely want clare or Kilkenny in a QF, everyone else is average at the moment, these 2 will let us know where we really stand.

Wexford could still do us a favour next week, right?

• Advertisement

Feel about the same as rest of ye, big chance missed, some questionable tactics and selections. Definitely want clare or Kilkenny in a QF, everyone else is average at the moment, these 2 will let us know where we really stand.

Wexford could still do us a favour next week, right?

They could... I just think it's unlikely they'll beat/draw Cork in Cork.

Cork have been very lucky, 3 homes, and against what I'd call the harder teams in the division.

They are 2/9 to win the league.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    They could... I just think it's unlikely they'll beat/draw Cork in Cork.

Ah feck, thought this was on in wexford park. All over, chance wasted. bollix.

Cork left us off the hook too, failed to put a score on antrim, even more annoying.

One thing I will say is that we haven't really hurled with any intensity all year, bar the 2nd half against Cork. Yesterday, we only seemed to up it for a few minutes after Offaly scored each goal and it obviously wasn't enough in the end.

But last year, we played the whole league as if we were in a daze. Even in the league final against Dublin when we were desperate to get an equaliser, we were fcuking about in the middle of the field and then with a sideline, it was like we didn't care.

When it comes to the Championship, we will hurl with intensity, there is no doubt about that. Whether we have the gameplan and players to accompany it, I don't know, but we're not going to let teams waltz through us.

But hopefully the management team realise the mistake they've made... this is as bad a result as we've had since 2011... and considering we had all but won the league thanks to Cork's result, it's inexcusable. I only hope it's a wake-up call for the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Paddy nothing is set in stone,yes its in cork hands but the last four games,couldnt beat 14 man limerick at home,awful against laois and antrim and awful against offaly ,it depends very much on the team cork pick and system we play.

By no means is it a foregone conclussion.Huge pressure on Cork.

What was the story yesterday lads??anyone it at ??

Did limerick throw it away tactially or just stop playing ???

Paddy nothing is set in stone,yes its in cork hands but the last four games,couldnt beat 14 man limerick at home,awful against laois and antrim and awful against offaly ,it depends very much on the team cork pick and system we play.

Bit of both, credit to offaly though, 5 points down and they kept plugging away, and got late scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Rightwing wrote: »
    Cork have been very lucky, 3 homes, and against what I'd call the harder teams in the division.

They are 2/9 to win the league.

Cant argue with that.

If we had wexford away we were in real trouble.

Yeah, ye've hardly been overwhelming, but its not in our hands now which is disapointing

I wasn't there but it sounded like we thought we had it won, and we never really reached the intensity levels to put them away. Offaly are really not a good team, we should have put a big score on them.

Tactical madness aswell, persisting with short puckouts even though the ref wasn't allowing any quick ones... we gave away so many points from going short and then being closed down.

And the use of the bench was awful aswell. Pissed it away.

I'm praying that Wexford can do something, and they're not a bad team, but you'd think Cork will get the job done at home. Put under pressure by Antrim, but squeezed home in the end, at home to Wexford, they should have enough.

• Advertisement

Wexford won't beat Cork. We had promotion in our own hands and threw it away yesterday and that's about all there is to it.

One league game left and I seriously hope we finally see a bit of rotation before we pick whatever the best we have available is for the league quarter final. No dowling v Laois for me, don't think it would give a true reflection of where he is.

Quaid
    King McCarthy Dempsey
    Wayne DOG Tom Ryan
    Browne Paudie
    Allis Downes Reidy
    Tobin Mulcahy Fitz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement