Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wexford won't beat Cork. We had promotion in our own hands and threw it away yesterday and that's about all there is to it.

One league game left and I seriously hope we finally see a bit of rotation before we pick whatever the best we have available is for the league quarter final. No dowling v Laois for me, don't think it would give a true reflection of where he is.

Quaid
    King McCarthy Dempsey
    Wayne DOG Tom Ryan
    Browne Paudie
    Allis Downes Reidy
    Tobin Mulcahy Fitz

Agree... although Laois could beat us too. We have to win, just in case... But again, that team should be good enough.

Presumably Ryan is injured. You don't play the first two games, play very well, and then get dropped out of the squad completely. Maybe he'll be back.

I'd pick:

Murphy
    King Richie Dempsey
    Morrissey Dodge Ryan
    Browne O'Brien
    Allis Downes Reidy
    O'Brien Mulcahy Tobin

Hopefully we'll see some sign of Hannon soon. King and Dempsey have to start. And we have to see some rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

They've said Hannon won't play in the league I think. He'll be ready to start for championship so that's enough. He shouldn't need league games, he'll get up to speed in training. Hickey or Breen either though both of those may find it harder to get their place back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Hearing a lot of anger regarding O'Grady's chosen style of play and it not being suitable for Limerick- it drew a lot of criticism in 2011 as well, but winning division 2 in 2011 combined with a respectable championship run vindicate O'Grady somewhat.

Did appear to backfire a lot yesterday, posession cheaply coughed up a lot yesterday.

And so a 5th straight year of division 2 hurling lies ahead. Just to illustrate how stupid the changes made to the format are this year, even if we managed to win the league outright we would still be in division 2 next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Hanalei wrote: »
    Hearing a lot of anger regarding O'Grady's chosen style of play and it not being suitable for Limerick- it drew a lot of criticism in 2011 as well, but winning division 2 in 2011 combined with a respectable championship run vindicate O'Grady somewhat.

Did appear to backfire a lot yesterday, posession cheaply coughed up a lot yesterday.

And so a 5th straight year of division 2 hurling lies ahead. Just to illustrate how stupid the changes made to the format are this year, even if we managed to win the league outright we would still be in division 2 next year.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Rightwing wrote: »
    No.

Yes. Only first place gets promoted.

• Advertisement

Hanalei wrote: »
    Yes. Only first place gets promoted.

I see what you mean, I thought you meant win the league as in the 5 games.

Not a chance of us winning the overall league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I done this on the Cork thread

Round 5 - Sunday March 23rd, 2014

Tipperary(2pts -13 points difference )vs.Dublin 4 pts (-7)
    Semple Stadium, Thurles

Kilkenny(4pts +5) vs.Waterford (4pts-7)
    Nowlan Park

Clare (6pts + 15 vs.Galway(4pts +7)
    Cusack Park, Ennis

Quarter Final A - Sunday March 30th, 2014
    Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 2014 Quarter Final ATop Placed Team 1A vs.4th Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final B
    2nd Placed Team 1A vs.3rd Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final C 3rd Placed Team 1A vs.2nd Placed Team 1B

Quarter Final D
    4th Placed Team 1A vs.Top Placed Team 1B

HOME ADVANTAGE
    Quater Finals will be on a home and away basis. That’ll be decided as follows: Where a team who has had two home games in the regular season draws a team who has had 3 home games in the regular season, home venue goes to team who has had only two home games in the regular season.

Where two teams who have had two home games play each other, or where two teams who have had three home games play each other, a toss for home advantage will take place. The four quarter-final winners will advance to the semi-finals at neutral venues.

Semi Final - Sunday April 20th, 2014
    Quarter Final A Winner vs.Quarter Final D Winner

Semi Final :Quarter Final B Winner vs.Quarter Final C Winner

League Final - Sunday May 4th, 2014

3 weeks later v Waterford Thurles Munster 1st Round 26th March

The permuations in div 1a are like how long is a piece of string ,or picking stones in a field,impossible to do it 100 per cent

What you could say is clare maybee may be up for it at home,its a derby game win that and there top team ,and likey to play laois in a quater final .Clare may have a want to beat galway then gear training in a weak lead up to laois as they would beat them in 25 minutes.

Laois are likely to be 4th in div 1b.That means its very likely Clare are our Semi final opponents if we get there and im glad.I want them.

Now if we Cork beat wexford we play 4th in div 1A.We should be top,Limerick to be 2nd.
    Who is to be 4th in div1A is a mystery??

if results and they have went to home teams In the majority,the league stick to the status quo then the home teams kilkenny ,clare,and tipp should win Sunday

Clare,kilkenny i would say at home to win.
    I would expect waterford to be relegated and as poor as tipp are i think dublin outside of a small ptich are quite beatable and i think have pace and dublin suit them ,should win at home.They beat them by plus 4, and thats doable ,they will overtake Dublin and with waterford beaten by kilkenny there in a fight of with galway for 3 or 4th.Yes if galways get hammered they could drop out .

And we dont know which galway will come to clare (how intense are clare going to be and the same with galway)but as long as there not hammered ,(14 plus headstart on dublin )they would get that 3rd or 4th spot,with dublin and waterford in a relegation play off.

So cork would have galway or tipp,two teams i wouldnt fear as they play hurling.Of course one resuit throws the permuations out the window ,but i said id have a go .

Im presuming if teams are level it comes down to points difference as there 3 could be tied than head to head,thats what i based my permuation on,anyone confirm????

I could be wrong

The quater final and semi final draw is right ,it just depends on who finish 1,2,3,4 In each division .

Munster U21 football tommorrow semifinal Cork v Limerick in Cork

Cork have a lot of injuries,Brian O Driscoll,Kevin Crowley,Cathal Vaughan all seniors injured.
    We have a strong team still,Dorman,Mac Eoin ,Maguire ,Cadogan ,Sugrue,have played senior or on the panel.

When yere team named whats it like ???

I dont know much about this team,bar the manager from cappamore is highey regarded.

Munster Final v Tipp or Clare April 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Can't see past a hammering in this one TTM, especially as it's on down in Cork.
    Danny Neville and Sean McSweeney will carry the attacking threat for Limerick anyway. They were two of the finest forwards in the senior championship last year.
    Some senior panelists aren't even selected to play for Limerick, must be injuries?!?

Some very strange decisions in the U-21 selection... I mean we wouldn't have a great chance at the best of times but not even picking our best available players? I'm sure they'll put up a fight but Cork will have too much.

James O'Meara; Ryan Meagher, Kevin Brosnan, Alan Finnegan; Stephen Cahill, Kieran Larkin, Tony McCarthy; Gearoid Hegarty, Sean O'Dea; Ryan Glynn, Danny Neville, Mike Fitzgibbon; Kevin Moore, Jason Mullins, Sean McSweeney.

Subs: Darragh Treacy, Evan Quinlan, Eoin O'Donnell, Brian Finn, Sam Mullins, Shane Cusack, Conor Sheehan, Cian Sheehan

O'Meara decent keeper, Cahill at wing-back- good player. Would have played with Tony McCarthy a bit, again, a talented player. Hegarty at midfield is a big man, involved with the seniors, should be impressive at this level. As with 2 of the half-forward line, Neville and Fitzgibbon. Neville has loads of ability, probably the most naturally gifted footballer on the team, if they can get him on the ball, he'll cause problems- big, strong, quick and can score... he has all the raw tools to be a very good player.

Fitzgibbon alongside him is someone I'd like to see start for the senior team, loads of energy, works really hard, pretty much the typical modern half-forward. Maybe could add more scores to his game, but at U-21 level, he'll be a leader too. In the inside line, McSweeney would be the main threat- light, quick, hard to mark. Could have problems against a very physical corner-back, but is a goal threat.

But Darragh Treacy on the bench? On the senior panel a couple of years, one of St. Kieran's best players and they reached the semi-final this year, I think. Madness not to include him.

And Paul White? Must be injured, surely, because he was one of the best forwards in the county last season, should be on the senior team.

And bit weird that Barry O'Connell can make the extended senior panel but not this one, maybe he's focusing on hurling.

• Advertisement

.Thanks francola and fireball for yere information.

We are strong in goal.Martin is fianna fail leaders son,some keeper made a superb save last weeek.

Cronin-superb,fast ,a bit loose last week,captain minors last year at half back.

Dorman-superb half back -not a full back,roasted senior at 2 against dubs and sunday v mayo ,kerry last and this year .Won the sigerson for ucc.In trouble against fast nippy forwards.

Davis-related to Anthony davis and don.Loose at times,improved greatly against kerry.Drives forward.

Fulgnati-played senior with nemo-fast and loves to attack

White-minor last year,great talent-great man defeosively and to pick out a pass.Great reader of the game
    Histon dual minor last year and u21 this year ,good robust player ,and a fine teancious defender.AT Home at 3 and would love to swap with ,dorman.

Only fear in that half back lad is its two lads just ov of minor wont start when bod and crowley are back.

Maguire-awesome,played last year,strong,mobild,robust and intelligent,fabolus sigerson with ucc,u21 next year,a definte for cork panel senior in may.

Hanlon-a great worker,brave and for breaking ball.was a minor panelist ,had a bad run with injuries.

sugrue-played mcgrath cup senior dual u21 ,last two years and playf with cork junphor and intermediate hurlers.Great attuide,strong and lovely footballer.Man for big games as last year against tipp in hurling and football showed,got goals,and 3 superb points last wk.Can play at 14.A real leader.

O sullivan-superb with clyda munster club win anda minor,fast hard worker,there to track back for 50 min,then hes subbed.
    Kiely-strong,athletic,mobile,3 points last week,played last year,match winner v kerry.
    Played with ucc this year.Will help midfield.

Cadngan,senior hurler,5 points last week,2nd year at 21.Fast strong,and nippy.A potent force.

Mac eoin -3rd year at u21,superb minor 2010 all ireland final v tyrone,4 points last week ,strong on the ball,has a superb left boot,best shape of hes life,on senior panel.On hes day superb from placed balls.

Harrington-holds ball up well,goal poacher,operates dround half forward to fill the void kiely and o sullivan make when they play deep,allowing a potent 2 man full forward line of mac eoin and cadogan with corkery and horgan,two real potents forwards to come of the bench.

A lot of injuriads but we should win ,based on what ye say regards yere team.

Fireball if you get a chance and if you dnt mind please would you post,your great post regards limerick for the cork thread,and the cork lads there.

Wonder is the football match on the radio this evening.

I didn't really say much about the football last weekend- really terrible result tbh. That was a strong team, as strong as we've had in the league... they had no Quigleys, they've struggled up front all year without them. And they annihilated us. Not good at all.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Wonder is the football match on the radio this evening.

I didn't really say much about the football last weekend- really terrible result tbh. That was a strong team, as strong as we've had in the league... they had no Quigleys, they've struggled up front all year without them. And they annihilated us. Not good at all.

Cork are 1/50 tonight, it's a non event. However, Fermanagh were rank outsiders the last day, 5/2. I don't really follow football, are they safe in div 3?

Cork are 1/50 tonight, it's a non event. However, Fermanagh were rank outsiders the last day, 5/2. I don't really follow football, are they safe in div 3?

Just because we'll probably lose doesn't mean I'm not interested in the game!

Fermanagh are probably a better team than Limerick but without the Quigleys, and being away from home, they were expected to struggle. I think they're level on points with Limerick now and should be safe, although technically they can be relegated. I'd expect them to pick up 2 more points though.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Just because we'll probably lose doesn't mean I'm not interested in the game!

Fermanagh are probably a better team than Limerick but without the Quigleys, and being away from home, they were expected to struggle. I think they're level on points with Limerick now and should be safe, although technically they can be relegated. I'd expect them to pick up 2 more points though.

On the contrary, I give punters like yourself and thinkstoomuch credit.

Prob v Offaly ?

On the contrary, I give punters like yourself and thinkstoomuch credit.

Prob v Offaly ?

Most likely, are better than them.

Radio stream on 95 fm website. Losing 0-2 to 0-0 early on.

Paul White does start, still no Darragh Treacy. Seem to be under a lot of pressure early on as expected.

Alan Cadogan, the hurler, just got their 3rd score. 0-3 to 0-0 up; they're dominating in the middle of the field.

Jason Mullins gets Limerick's first score, drove at the heart of the Cork defence, got the score from play.

And then Cork get a goal...Sugrue :/

Jason Mullins almost got a penalty, another direct run, taken down just on the edge. Danny Neville slotted over the free, then Kevin Moore scored.

Starting to do well, but Cork have just scored another goal, Alan Cadogan. Now 2-3 to 0-3 down, terrible to concede just as we were getting back into the game. Full-back line seems very vulnerable.

Lost Stephen Cahill to injury too, Brian Finn on.

Another goal for Cork! Surely something has to be done about this, play a sweeper or something, they seem to be cutting us apart with their off-the-ball running.

Just after we had cut the gap again.... 3-3 to 0-4. Pity.

• Advertisement

Cork running riot a bit now, 3-7 to 0-4 now.

Darragh Treacy on for Sean McSweeney....

Limerick got the last two scores of that half, through Neville and Fitzgibbon, the senior players leading the way.

Sounds like Jason Mullins has been our best player, causing problems for the Cork full-back line- Neville, Fitzgibbon doing okay. In general, our forwards seem to be lively enough, maybe missed a couple of chances, and you have to be very clinical when playing a stronger side.

But 3 goals..... defence torn open and that's the difference between the sides really. It sounds like Cork can get goals whenever they want, and they'll be playing with the wind in the 2nd half. I'd be hoping we don't give up anyway, keep fighting to the end, maybe get a goal ourselves.

3-11 to 0-7 now; too easy for Cork.

Seems to be well over now; 3-13 to 0-7, intensity would seemingly have died.

Darragh Treacy heads the ball wide! Had a goal chance.... '45.

Game well over, but Limerick have had about 3 goal chances in the last few minutes. Haven't taken any, last one deflected over. 3-14 to 0-8.

Very poor 2nd half display, but the real damage was done with the goals in the first half, turned into a training exercise.

3-15 to 0-8 final score.

Jerome O'Connell said that only 3 of the starting minor team 3 years ago started tonight. 6 of last year's U-21 panel decided not to commit this year. That's not good...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Reading the Leader, it seems TJ is happier with the second half performance than the first. Christ on a bike, take the blame for a poor management performance & tactics that don't suit the players and stop pussy footing around with excuses. Shambolic.

The football development is very worrying. I wish a structure ala ASR in the hurling could be set up, since I've heard Croke Park have stopped amalgamations in competitions?!? Great idea that.

Heard today that Tom Ryan isn't injured, has some personal issues... not certain whether he'll commit to the intercounty team this year. I really hope he does, he's a very good player and has lots of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

francozola wrote: »
    Reading the Leader, it seems TJ is happier with the second half performance than the first. Christ on a bike, take the blame for a poor management performance & tactics that don't suit the players and stop pussy footing around with excuses. Shambolic.

I don't think it's a not suiting the players thing. I don't think you could say we have many players not skilful enough to play a certain game. Look at how we played last year, generally a good bit of short passing out of defence to Paudie or Gavin on the wings and it worked very well, the support play out of defence was probably the most impressive part of our play last year. We seem to be overcomplicating that somehow though, looking for handpasses rather than anything else. Once again O'Grady's gameplan seems to be overcomplicating things or needs more time to settle in. Its disappointing that one of the strongest parts of our play last year, working the ball out of defence, now seems to be breaking down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement