Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

What exactly has Mick o Dwyer won since he left kerry?
    Appointing a man of his age would be comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

liammur wrote: »

Who, in your opinion, would be a good replacement, if any? :)

That's very hard to know, for instance i thought kernan would do a good job in galway.

I don't know the football scene very well , but m o dwyer would really be laughable. Maybe some1 like jack o connor if he leaves kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Some people annoy the hell out of me!Mickey Ned has brought this team on leaps and bounds!Yet some people in Limerick think we should be winning Munster every year,christ no wonder the hurling managers job is a job nobody wants, people expect too much and when we over-achieve we expect it to remain good ala richie bennis!I hope Mickey ned wins it next year and then quits then ye will see how gracious we should be to the man for progressing Limerick Football

No one is disputing ned did well as did kearns. But has he gone as far as he can? that's what we were discussing.

• Advertisement

That's very hard to know, for instance i thought kernan would do a good job in galway.

I don't know the football scene very well , but m o dwyer would really be laughable. Maybe some1 like jack o connor if he leaves kerry.

Yea, it is. Paidí O Sé maybe?
    Although I'm just naming names here and they may not be interested atal like.
    Some people annoy the hell out of me!Mickey Ned has brought this team on leaps and bounds!Yet some people in Limerick think we should be winning Munster every year,christ no wonder the hurling managers job is a job nobody wants, people expect too much and when we over-achieve we expect it to remain good ala richie bennis!I hope Mickey ned wins it next year and then quits then ye will see how gracious we should be to the man for progressing Limerick Football

Jeez, what people have you been talking to?
    Limerick have had the potential to win Munster for the last while now yet they have not won it. There's so many "oh so closes" one can take. Especially with a good team like there is at present where you could say they under-achieved or didn't get the munster they deserved.
    A fresh face could change that. It may not..but it could.

And of course there has to be expectations of these lads. Sure, they are a great team. And should have won munster by now but haven't. Whoever is expecting them to win munster every year is just stupid. But by god, don't hold it against someone who'd have thought they should have won one in the last few years.

Dunno why Richie Bennis was booted. Ridiculous, but that's besides the point. As much as I love Mickey Ned, a fresh face is needed.
    If he stays on and wins Munster next year, good man himself but who's to know before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

todays leader quotes j.galvin as saying he is playing again next year, and that he wants m.n.o sullivan in charge, are we going to have another player power flare up in football as well as in hurling.

John Galvin has confirmed he'll stay for another year and has urged that Mickey Ned stay on aswell.
    flutered wrote: »
    todays leader quotes j.galvin as saying he is playing again next year, and that he wants m.n.o sullivan in charge, are we going to have another player power flare up in football as well as in hurling.

Ah, I don't think so.
    But since John Galvin is urging for Mickey Ned to stay on, it could influence the county board's decision..... maybe.

R Bennis shouldn't have been let go, but i'm not sure he was up to the job. The big mistake in hurling was made back as far as 1996, when they got rid of tom ryan. Talk about an own goal. Nothing won since.

R Bennis shouldn't have been let go, but i'm not sure he was up to the job. The big mistake in hurling was made back as far as 1996, when they got rid of tom ryan. Talk about an own goal. Nothing won since.
    some people would have me believe that it was the guy from the garda collage was the main man on that particular show, they may be correct, as it was the fittest team that we had in years, or since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

1 Leinster Senior Title with Kildare
    1 Leinster Senior Title with Laois
    1 Leinster Under-21 Title with Kildare

I should remind you that it had been over 50 years since either of those counties had won a provincial title.

How is his age in any way relevant? Judge the man on his achievements/character and leave his age out of it.
    Some people annoy the hell out of me! Mickey Ned has brought this team on leaps and bounds!
    He has and he hasn't. Yes he has done well to blend some good young talent with the older more established players. The likes of James Ryan, Ian Ryan and Ger Collins have added greatly to the squad. And there's no doubting that we now have better forwards in general than at any time before.

However Mickey Ned has failed to significantly alter our style of football to one which would give us an even chance of toppling Munster's big two. The build up is too slow, it takes far too long for the ball to be sent into the full forward line and Mickey Ned's continual use of two men in there has repeatedly failed. The style of lateral hand-passing plays into opposition hands, and our choice of shot selection continues to be poor. As for side-line tactics, don't get me started. In reality, he has gotten us no further than where we were under Liam Kearns.
    Yet some people in Limerick think we should be winning Munster every year
    Who are these people? I don't think anyone would expect that. What we would like to see though is the experiences of previous seasons being put to good use, but this seems not to be the case on an annual basis.

'1 Leinster Senior Title with Kildare
    1 Leinster Under-21 Title with Kildare'

So o dwyer has won the above in about 25 years since 1986 when he left kerry. I've nothing against the man, but all he is hpye, nostalgic hype.

No top county would even consider him imo. He might be ok at bringing sloggers up a level, but that's it.

'1 Leinster Senior Title with Kildare
    1 Leinster Under-21 Title with Kildare'

So o dwyer has won the above in about 25 years since 1986 when he left kerry. I've nothing against the man, but all he is hpye, nostalgic hype.

No top county would even consider him imo. He might be ok at bringing sloggers up a level, but that's it.
    Until we win a Munster, we will continue to be sloggers. Dont forget we slogged it out in Division 4 this year! So you dont think guiding both Laois and Kildare to Leinster titles is a tremendous achievement, given that he had a lot less talent available in comparison to the Kerry teams he managed? I would consider it a stunning achievement. You seem to easily forget that he wasn't working with top tier counties with a tradition of winning silverware.

You mustn't forget leinster was very weak for a long time. Louth should have won 1 this year. Westmeath won for the 1st time, wexford were doing well too, if o dwyer won with westmeath, they'd be calling him a saint.

No leinster team until this year has looked like making any impact on the all ireland series. What happened to Wicklow this year, the 1 year leinster is good?

In munster he'd he up against cork and kerry,and he'd be duly blown out of the water. All imo of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Some people annoy the hell out of me!Mickey Ned has brought this team on leaps and bounds!

In terms of the league and championship he has actually brought us backwards.
    When he took over we were in Division 2 league final.
    Last year we played Division 4 football which was an absolute disaster for the Limerick team. While it was very nice winning the Division 4 trophy, and no disrespect to Division 4 teams,but John Galvin and Johnny Mac shouldn't be playing the like of London and Kilkenny at this stage of their career.

In terms of the championship Mickey ned hasn't got us any further than we were before. We are still stagnant as the Munster final runners up and cannot get out of the qualifiers.

I think this Limerick team could be great. We have some fantastic individual players who have shown skill up there with the best of them. However, we are losing matches because of whats happening on the sideline. There was poor decisions made in the Munster final by not bringing in less experienced players over Conor Fitzgerald. In the match we reverted back to a playing style that has lost us matches of the last 4 years.

I'd love to see Darragh O'Se as the manager but I fear that Mickey Ned will be left in charge and it'll be another year of near-misses for Limerick.

Limerick have been lucky and unlucky.

Lucky with the draws they got in munster.
    Unlucky on the field of play.

I'd rate limerick football about 16th in country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'd rate limerick football about 16th in country.

Give us your top 16 so........

Off the top of my head and n no order i'd rate these teams ahead of limerick

cork,kerry,mayo,galway,kildare,meath,dublin,armagh,down,tyrone,monaghan.

the likes of, sligo,limk, donegal, derry, (could probably all beat each other on any given day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Off the top of my head and n no order i'd rate these teams ahead of limerick

cork,kerry,mayo,galway,kildare,meath,dublin,armagh,down,tyrone,monaghan.

the likes of, sligo,limk, donegal, derry, (could probably all beat each other on any given day)

No offence Liam, but thats complete bull!! You have Mayo and Galway in your top ten, both of whom were beaten by Sligo (who you say could be beaten by Limerick)

Have you ever seen a football match?

Sligo over achieved v galway and mayo. Would roscommon have won connacht final v galway? i doubt it.

Sligo are in a division ahead of limk, as are galway and mayo.

I wouldn't have limk favourites v galway or mayo tomorrow, but maybe evens v sligo.

• Advertisement

You mustn't forget leinster was very weak for a long time. Louth should have won 1 this year.Westmeath won for the 1st time, wexford were doing well too, if o dwyer won with westmeath, they'd be calling him a saint.

No leinster team until this year has looked like making any impact on the all ireland series. What happened to Wicklow this year, the 1 year leinster is good?

In munster he'd he up against cork and kerry,and he'd be duly blown out of the water. All imo of course.
    I've highlighted where you contradicted yourself. On one hand you're saying Leinster is not good this year and on the other you're saying it is. Which is it? :confused:

Saying a Micko managed Limerick would be "blown out of the water" in Munster is just plain waffle. At worst he'd match what O'Sullivan and Kearns have done with the team.

Incorrect.

This is the 1 year that leinster is strong, and where were wicklow?
    Louth came to the fore proving that small teams can do well when a province is strong, and don't need a household name as manager.

Micko has a reputation, and not much else.

I'll be interested to see what minnows go looking for him

I'm not suprised I got a thanks from Soccy when I mentioned Darragh :) Dontya have a bit of a thing for him :D He is cute!

Does anyone know where to get the results for club matches? I want to know If Drom/Broadford won yesterday?

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm not suprised I got a thanks from Soccy when I mentioned Darragh :) Dontya have a bit of a thing for him :D He is cute!

Does anyone know where to get the results for club matches? I want to know If Drom/Broadford won yesterday?

eeerrrrr... >.< :P

I'm late replying buuut (sorry :o) Drom-Brod won on a scoreline of 3-14 to 1-12.

On a hurling related note, Knockainey defeated the well 2-15 to 1-13 in the Quarter final yesterday.
    Sure lads, this is it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd love to see Darragh O'Se as the manager but I fear that Mickey Ned will be left in charge and it'll be another year of near-misses for Limerick.

Darragh o'se.are you gone mad or what.

he has no experience of managing a club team as far as i know and has only just finished playing inter county.

look at jack o se.straight into management with mayo.we know how that turned out.

good players dont always make for good managers.remember that.

so mickey ned is history as is his backroom team, donie buckley is moving in as a selector down in kerry, now we have a chance of beating them

Ah Knockainey </3

All South Final now. Can really see Kilmallcok taking this one going by their second half performance against Na Piarsaigh. They absolutely blitzed them in the 2nd half while throughout the Knockainey/Emmets game the standard of hurling wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Irish Independent
    Tom McGlinchey and Maurice Horan have emerged as the two leading candidates for the Limerick football manager's post vacated by Mickey Ned O'Sullivan.
    Five candidates have already been interviewed - former Clare manager John Kennedy, Drom-Broadford boss John Brudair, current Tipp selector John Cummins along with former Tipperary boss McGlinchey and this year's Limerick under 21 manager Horan.
    It's believed that if McGlinchey gets the job, former Munster, Ireland and Lions rugby star Keith Wood will be included in his backroom team.
    McGlinchey and Wood worked together with the Smith O'Brien's senior hurling team in Kilalloe last year, when Wood was involved in the conditioning and coaching of the side.
    Just read this on the independent website. Thought I'd throw it up.

Was up at the match yesterday and met a few people in the know, and apparently Horan is frontrunner. I don't really know much about either.

I think Corks win yesterday should give Limerick a boost. Noel O'Leary was saying in the Times during the week that the qualifier against Limerick was their toughest match to date. We have the winning of Cork every year.all Limerick need is a bit of self belief and new management to get them to where Cork is today!

Also John Galvin must be a shoo-in for an All star this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Was up at the match yesterday and met a few people in the know, and apparently Horan is frontrunner. I don't really know much about either.

I think Corks win yesterday should give Limerick a boost. Noel O'Leary was saying in the Times during the week that the qualifier against Limerick was their toughest match to date. We have the winning of Cork every year.all Limerick need is a bit of self belief and new management to get them to where Cork is today!

Also John Galvin must be a shoo-in for an All star this year?

Had they beaten Cork or Kerry he would probably have gotten one but I reckon McAuley will get one and one of the Louth midfielders probably Keenan will get one so that rules out Galvin.

Our performances against Cork give cause for optimism alright but we played a containment game against them. Under Mickey Ned we always set our stall out to keep the score down which was his way of thinking and I've no problem with that. Under a new manager I'd like to see us adopt a new style of play and actually let our boys play a bit of football. The biggest challenge for the new manager (whoever he is) will be to get the players playing the way he wants them to because they will be so used to Mickey Ned's way of thinking. I'm hopeful for 2011 but I think we really need to try get promotion to division 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement