Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

So its Adare and Monaleen into the football final. What odds would you have got on that this morning?!!! Really can't believe Ballylanders lost that match, they were in total control for so long, Adare looked like headless chickens for the first half. Kieran O'Callaghan kicked some awful wides for the 2007 champions and then that man Stephen Lavin drove upfield to set up a gem of a goal for Conor Fitz, he also set up Liam Costello's goal. Adare got 1-5 without reply in the last 8 minutes, really was something else, the men from the south must have been shellshocked. As for Drom-Broadford, i suppose there's only so long you can stay at the top, and Monaleen have been hovering in the background for a while now. Not many teams get the better of Drom, especially not in a tight game where a single point will serparate the sides.

As for the final, i hope Adare win, but you can put your house (if the bank hasn't already reclaimed it) on Monaleen winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Was at Kilmallock and had to leave with 5 mins to go and Ballylanders 5 points up. Amazed to hear that they had lost the game. I thought they had it in the bag obviously so did they. Looks an interesting final, thought Monaleen were the best team on display, however as I stated I missed Adare's purple patch.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Was at home today , after a months exile in cork :) , and picked up the Limerick Leader. I was absolutely sickened by the front page of the Sports section. Some Limerick model in a tight t-shirt?? After Limerick Ladies won the Junior All-Ireland title? Limerick Leader was always a bit of a sexist rag but that really took the biscuit for me, will be avoiding it like the plague from now on.

panda100 wrote: »
    Was at home today , after a months exile in cork :) , and picked up the Limerick Leader. I was absolutely sickened by the front page of the Sports section. Some Limerick model in a tight t-shirt?? After Limerick Ladies won the Junior All-Ireland title? Limerick Leader was always a bit of a sexist rag but that really took the biscuit for me, will be avoiding it like the plague from now on.
    Would you be as sickened if it was a male model in tight shorts? ;)

Congrats to Kilmallock, i'm really glad they've finally fulfilled their potential. Emmets are a decent side but they were fighting an uphill battle from the start when you consider three of their clubs are still involved in the intermediate championship. I believe a Kilmallock victory was vital today - it would not have boded well for club hurling in the county if a divisional side made up of intermediate and junior players had beaten every senior club to the title.

Kilmallock's half back line was outstanding today, Gavin and Kevin O'Mahony were really terrific. Would love to see Paudie O'Brien brought into the Limerick set-up, he's a really neat hurler. Felt sorry for Mike O'Brien, he seemed to be at the top of his game and then picked up that injury which he couldn't seem to shake off, made a couple of fine catches. If it weren't for Richie McCarthy at full back, Kilmallock might well have been much further ahead at the break, he really put the shackles on O'Shaughnessy. Nicky Quaid did ok when he went up front but the game was gone from Emmets at that stage.

O'Mahony's winning speech was quite entertaining i thought. It certainly will have given Donal O'Grady food for thought. Hopefully the Balbec men can go on and turn a few heads in the Munster club championship now.

I heard about this game during the week and took this bit from hoganstand.com
    Replay ordered after 'extra man' scores winning goal
    28 September 2010

West Limerick officials have ordered that last Sunday's divisional junior hurling final between St. Kieran's and Askeaton be replayed after a St. Kieran's substitute came on with none of his team-mates making way and scored the winning goal.

St. Kieran's had been reduced to 14 players after they had a man sent off during the second half, but at the time of the match-winning goal, they had 15 players on the field. And despite strong protests by Askeaton, referee Jason O'Mahony - who also took charge of the controversial 2008 Munster U21HC final between Clare and Tipperary - allowed the goal to stand which handed St. Kieran's a 2-12 to 2-11 victory.

However, under GAA rules, the final will now be replayed next Saturday in Feenagh.

"We feel that this is the best decision." Askeaton secretary Michael J Ryan told The Irish Examiner.

"You need fair play in the GAA and there was no fair play in what happened in Fenagh on Sunday. We're very happy that there's going to be a replay."

Does anybody know who won the replayed game today? I was at the county final but the PA gave no scores at half time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

grenache wrote: »
    West Limerick officials have ordered that last Sunday's divisional junior hurling final between St. Kieran's and Askeaton be replayed after a St. Kieran's substitute came on with none of his team-mates making way and scored the winning goal.

St. Kieran's had been reduced to 14 players after they had a man sent off during the second half, but at the time of the match-winning goal, they had 15 players on the field. And despite strong protests by Askeaton, referee Jason O'Mahony - who also took charge of the controversial 2008 Munster U21HC final between Clare and Tipperary - allowed the goal to stand which handed St. Kieran's a 2-12 to 2-11 victory.

However, under GAA rules, the final will now be replayed next Saturday in Feenagh.

"We feel that this is the best decision." Askeaton secretary Michael J Ryan told The Irish Examiner.

"You need fair play in the GAA and there was no fair play in what happened in Fenagh on Sunday. We're very happy that there's going to be a replay."

Can't say I'm surprised that this happened with this ref in charge. I wouldn't let him take charge of an under 10 game.

I heard about it alright but I heard that Kierans were dragging their feet on it and were threatened to be thrown out of the competition if they didn't replay the game. No idea how it went. I'm sure some of the ten year old kids on Hoganstand would fill you in though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Just a quick question from a Waterford man about Andrew O'Shaughnessy, I read in the Examiner that he played for Kilmallock in the county final on Sunday. He must be well again? I was gutted for him when I heard about his illness last year, how did he play?

Just a quick question from a Waterford man about Andrew O'Shaughnessy, I read in the Examiner that he played for Kilmallock in the county final on Sunday. He must be well again? I was gutted for him when I heard about his illness last year, how did he play?
    Shaughs was well marshalled for the most part by Richie McCarthy at full back. Most of his scores were from frees (think he got one point from play) although he did lay on a few lovely balls for both Mulcahy brothers to score points late in the game. Understandably not as sharp as he used to be, but he's doing quite well considering his illness. From what i'm hearing on the ground, this will be his last season playing competitive hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Goose Hyypia

Limerick SHC: Kilmallock bridge 16-year gap

I wrote some analysis on the Limerick county final on my blog - http://bit.ly/bKXRzL

It was an interesting if predictable game, where Kilmallock's fitness and sharpness brought them through. Let me know what ye think...

Just to update on the Junior A West Hurling Final debacle, the West Board last week ordered the game to be replayed. However St Kierans - who won the game, albeit with an extra man on the field - have appealed this decision to the County Board. The replay was due to be played last Saturday evening but due to the appeal, a decision on the game won't now be known until sometime this week.

If St Kierans refuse to replay the game, then it will be awarded to Askeaton. St Kierans seem intent on not replaying but in the cold reality of day its seemes to be a case of either replay it or lose it. As a neutral, i think it should be replayed. It has been argued that the St Kieran's player who didn't come off the field for the sub was not interfering with play. However, seeing as the Askeaton full back was marking him instead of the sub who scored the winning goal, then Askeaton, it appears, are fully entitled to call for a replay.

Whatever happens, i don't think either side will progress much further, Effin or Cappamore are my favourites to win the County outright.

• Advertisement

Between the Limerick footballers and Kierans I despair at the teams I support!

Kierans have already had major celebrations after winning,can't see them giving a replay, especially If the player who was being subbed didn't intefere with play. Please let me win something this year :D

panda100 wrote: »
    Between the Limerick footballers and Kierans I despair at the teams I support!

Kierans have already had major celebrations after winning,can't see them giving a replay, especially If the player who was being subbed didn't intefere with play. Please let me win something this year :D
    Ah but he did, the Askeaton full back was marking him when the ball was lobbed in around the goalmouth. If he wasn't on the pitch, the full back would have switched onto the new man i.e. the man who scored the winning goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone know of a good B&B near the Gaelic grounds in Limrecik for the upcoming International match against the Aussies. Cheers

billyhead wrote: »
    Would anyone know of a good B&B near the Gaelic grounds in Limrecik for the upcoming International match against the Aussies. Cheers
    off the top of my head no, the only thing i would suggest is to look up Failte Ireland's website, it should give you a link to Limerick City accomodation. There's lots of b+bs along the Ennis Road and surrounding areas.

Well whats the feeling around these parts about the draw we got in the hurling and football. I'm going to try this year and be optimistic about neither and then if we do anything anyway halfway decent in the championships it will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 calvinderkins

any thoughts on the new limerick home and away jerseys...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

*bump* :)

Thought this thread could be kicked into gear abit now since the league is drawing closer.

Am I the only one shocked at Mark Foley possibly being brought back onto the panel. Never mind him coming out of retirement :confused:
    He was a great player back in the day but these days I wouldn't put him down as a man who could hold a full 70 minute game anymore.

And Donie Ryan too? As much as I respect the man, say it ain't so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

*bump* :)

Thought this thread could be kicked into gear abit now since the league is drawing closer.

Am I the only one shocked at Mark Foley possibly being brought back onto the panel. Never mind him coming out of retirement :confused:
    He was a great player back in the day but these days I wouldn't put him down as a man who could hold a full 70 minute game anymore.

And Donie Ryan too? As much as I respect the man, say it ain't so.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Mark Foley is definitely not returning to Limerick this year! (In fact he's quite pissed off at that rumour from what I've been told!)

Someone got wind that he was working on a personal fitness/gym program and put two and two together and got five! He will return for Adare but not for Limerick. (Hopefully he'll be fully fit for Adare though!)

Donie Ryan? Did okay for a very poor Garryspillane team last year. However, we have a lot of young corner forwards who can do as good as him or better. He's 34 this year, so that's a strange one. The benefit's of having a brother as a selector I suppose. He must be producing the goods in training though, otherwise I can't imagine Donal O'Grady would take him on board.

jordainius wrote: »
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that Mark Foley is definitely not returning to Limerick this year! (In fact he's quite pissed off at that rumour from what I've been told!)

Someone got wind that he was working on a personal fitness/gym program and put two and two together and got five! He will return for Adare but not for Limerick. (Hopefully he'll be fully fit for Adare though!)

Donie Ryan? Did okay for a very poor Garryspillane team last year. However, we have a lot of young corner forwards who can do as good as him or better. He's 34 this year, so that's a strange one. The benefit's of having a brother as a selector I suppose. He must be producing the goods in training though, otherwise I can't imagine Donal O'Grady would take him on board.

Ah sound for that. I was puzzled by what was going on with Mark Foley alright.

Aye. Now it's all abit hearsay so that's why I chose my words carefully. From word of mouth, media and websites it seems Donie may return. But sure nothing is set in stone, I guess. They were also saying Foley was possibly set for a comeback :rolleyes:

Anyone following the Harty actually? Ard Scoil Ris bate Thurles CBS there (Shane Dowling on top form) and are facing Flannans in the semi's. I'd love Ard Scoil to do the double and get another shot at the croke cup if I wasn't a student of the opposition :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has there been a venue and date confirmed yet for the Limerick versus Waterford game in June

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Has there been a venue and date confirmed yet for the Limerick versus Waterford game in June

June 12th in Thurles

N Quaid; D Reale, S Lucey, D Moloney; W McNamara, S Hickey, D Breen; D O'Grady, P Browne; R McCarthy, J Ryan, N Moran; A O'Shaughnessy, K Downes, G Mulcahy.

Happy to see Hickey at 6, good midfield, a bit disappointed with Nicky Quaid in goals, he's a useful enough outfield player- would prefer to see Hennessy or Flynn between the posts myself. I'm nervous about Reale and Lucey in the full back line as we all know what happened last time they started a competetive match for Limerick... But I'd imagine Donal O'Grady probably knows better than myself!

Cusack Park is a bit of a graveyard for Limerick hurling and with a "new" team heading there, and after the last 18 months, I'll just settle for a good performance. Time to get this show back on the road!

Looks like Limerick's Justin McCarthy inspired 10 game losing streak in competitive matches is finally being brought to an end.

As much as Clare were brutal, I thought Dodge, Lucey and Paul Browne in particular played very well.
    And I'm actually buzzin' that we've some sort of a team again :)
    It wasn't a fantastic match with some awful wides by both sides but a win is a win and shur, you'll take it. Especially when it was pissing rain for a good proportion of it.

Downes (who's fairly young.. 18 or 19?) who was full forward was good also. He got the 2nd goal, I'm fairly sure which had a great lead up to it.

But going on today's match alone, I'd fear for Clare. They were shocking. However the confidence boost for Limerick is great.

I'm delighted to be able to talk about a Limerick win at last- 19 months of pain finally over!

I'm surprised at how poor Clare were, I had high hopes for Ger O'Loughlin after delivering a 3 in a row for my club, (He has been called "The Special One" by some in Adare!) he's a great coach; but maybe the more vast demands of county management is a step too far for him? I hope not though.

An important win to start the year on the right note but I won't read too deeply into it as this Clare team did not perform anywhere near their best which is disappointing. Hopefully they'll both make the final as expected and give each other a proper test in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I have to stick my oar in.. yes Clare were very poor, but Limerick were not far off it either. Ye should have put us away today; if the goals hadn't happened there would have been nothing seperating the teams really. Not sure how many points were from play, but like us, accuracy was an issue.

We were well beaten alright, but we hope to be seeing ye in the Div 2 final! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

As well, I think O'Grady made a very good call on withdrawing from Waterford Crystal Cup.. ye were a much fitter side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to see Limerick winning a game of hurling!

Anyone at the match today in NCW?

The footballers have having a very poor start to their season. Its very demoralising seeing such a great team heading back towards division 4. I'm starting to have my doubts about Horan's tactics as the short passes are killing us.

• Advertisement

Very disappointed with the result today. I feel we needed to kick on to Division 2 next year and thats well and truly gone. We'll be lucky to stay in Division 3 at this rate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement