Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Our delivery into the forwards was the biggest negative from yesterday. Time and again, PO'B, Wayne, jimbob and browne hit terrible high ball into our forwards, the 4 of them must have been responsiblle for 3/4 of our wides as well - thats something that has to be eliminated for the final.

Roll on wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm going to be a little more negative than glas in my ratings, just because I believe we can do a lot, lot better.

Quaid- 9 (He was really excellent. A commanding presence around the square, safe as a house and his distribution was good. Played it quick and short when he could, not his fault our lads couldn't catch it clean)

Hickey- 8 (He was excellent too, but loses a mark for losing Gar Ryan for the goal, it's a big mistake. But swept up brilliantly, and that point at the end... he can run all day long)
    Richie- 8 (Not going to give him more than 8, because Callinan caught a lot of clean ball and scored a few from play. I was shítting myself every time he got it, but Richie's recovery work was class)
    Condon- 7 (Rock-like as usual)

Paudie- 6 (Didn't dominate in the air, offered himself as a short option well)
    Wayne- 5 (Struggled badly imo, had some great moments, but in general Bonner Maher had him in major trouble)
    Gavin- 5 (Didn't get going at all yesterday)

Ryan- 9 (Not sure if he was as good as he was in the Munster final, but he ran and he ran and he tackled and he harried and he blocked, and he cleaned up working ball and he came short to offer himself and he ran with the ball and without the ball. Just brilliant. If he had scored his shots, it was a 10/10 for sure)
    Browne- 8 (Not quite as good as he was in the league, couple of aimless balls when normally he's so good. But busy as usual, a really clever player, and a good point)

Dowling- 8 (Quiet from play, worked hard but wasn't involved too much. Metronomic from frees and a brilliant, brilliant goal. Lovely set-up for a Downes point too)
    Dodgy- 7 (Two absolutely inspirational points, quiet otherwise)
    Hannon- 7 (Decent, but not brilliant. Won the free for the goal, scored a good point and won some breaking ball. Needs to win more, and needs to sort the sidelines out)

Mulcahy- 6 (I'm docking a mark for fumbling a pick-up when he was in space. Pity about the disallowed goal. He's dangerous when he gets the ball in his hand, I'd bring him out the field the next day, I think)
    Downes- 7 (When he got the ball, he looked dangerous. 0-2 from play and set up a goal, but can do better. One fantastic catch, a couple of great runs, but needs to be involved more)
    Tobin- 5 (Barely touched the ball at all, not all his fault, he was the one withdrawn out the field and the game bypassed him a lot)

Ryan- 7 (Has the physicality and hurling, a wonderful score to win the game... not that easy to do)
    Mikey Ryan- Didn't touch the ball I don't think.

TJ and the sideline- 8 (One point extra because he won the game which I didn't think he'd do. Had them fired up, I would never fault him for that. He picked a team that was capable of winning the game, he made the basic calls... Dowling on frees, Hickey in the team, our 4 best forwards in the forward line, etc. Moving Jim-Bob back to midfield turned out to be a brilliant choice, as was playing Dodge slightly withdrawn, got him 2 points from play. Rotated the forwards well too, I thought.

There are still question marks. We didn't get the best out of our forward line, that has to be worked upon. Poor delivery, breaking ball wasn't won, clean ball wasn't really won either... and the half-back line struggled at times, Bonner Maher was running riot, yet there were no changes. And very slow to use subs, won't get away with that again. But a good first day out for TJ)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Agree with last post. Thought both Limerick wingbacks were v poor and Wayne Mc solid. Hannon and Tobin v poor upfront. Huge room for improvement which is always encouraging when you win. TJ will earn his stripes over the next 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

What doubts Limerick won the munster title last year end of story.People were saying that Limerick can't beat Tipp in Thurles yet they did just that today.As for the all ireland semi final well it was one of those days when everything went right for Clare and everything went wrong for Limerick.They lost by 7 points but if it wasn't for some shocking free taking then they would have been closer to Clare at the end of that match.I think the encouraging thing for Limerick is that they still have plenty to work on after today.They need to work on getting better ball into the forwards because that Limerick forward line is class.I also agree with the poster that said TJ should have made changes sooner when the tide was turning.

Lads, remote limerick supporter here.
    One question: are 2 limerick corner forwards up to it? Poor yesterday and lack of marquee forwards seems to be the perennial problem.
    Unbelievable spirit and graft and no little skill out the pitch but seems to be a team that could win AI from 1 to 12 but lacking real class after that. Alot frees yesterday and not something you can rely on every day..

Rebus2013 wrote: »
    Lads, remote limerick supporter here.
    One question: are 2 limerick corner forwards up to it? Poor yesterday and lack of marquee forwards seems to be the perennial problem.
    Unbelievable spirit and graft and no little skill out the pitch but seems to be a team that could win AI from 1 to 12 but lacking real class after that. Alot frees yesterday and not something you can rely on every day..

Mulcahy is a hugely talented forward, should have been an All-Star in 2012. If he was in the Clare team, he'd be scoring for fun. He is a bit small, and we don't seem to have worked out how to make best use of him in this setup.

In 2011, he was brought out around the middle a lot. In 2012, he seemed to feed well off Moran. Wouldn't drop him.

As for Tobin, he's a decent hurler. Class at club level, almost a one-man show in attack for Murroe/Boher, although he plays out the field at times for them. Again, I think he suffers from the service. He's not that big. He's definitely the next best corner-forward... there would be talk of replacing him with Breen, Allis or Ryan and playing them out the field, but if we want traditional corner-forwards, he have to go with Tobin, because Downes can't be wasted inside really.

And I'd be worried slightly about the aerial ability of our half-back line. I fear that we won't switch anything because we won, but none of the 3 had a good game. Tom Ryan and Hickey in particular could be looked at as options in this area.

• Advertisement

I watched the game back there on the RTE Player, few thoughts:

Graeme Mulcahy had a better game than I thought. He worked very hard, won a lot of frees and set up a few chances. He's very good to anticipate the breaks, but the Tipp corner-backs had very good games. Unlucky not to finish with 1-1.

Great mental strength from the Limerick lads after the disallowed goal. In the past, Limerick teams may have felt hard done by, use it as an excuse for losing to a bigger name team. But these players wouldn't accept it, didn't feel sorry for themselves, and drove on to win it.

Richie Mc was even better than I thought, fabulous hurler.

And great moment when Callinan was taking the 21-yard free and you hear the shouts, "This is not going in! Concentrate lads, concentrate." Presumably from Quaid.

We did mix the long and short game very well at times, I think we needed to run at the Tipp half-back line more instead of hitting balls down on top of them. Our touch really let us down at times- Condon, Wayne, Hannon, Downes, Gavin, Mul, all miscontrolled simple enough balls... and that won't be good enough later in the summer. Great win though, really great finish.

Limerick U-21 named, not really as I predicted at all:

1. Darragh Stapleton (Doon)
    2. Mark Callaghan (Knockaderry)
    3. Richie English (Doon)
    4. Shane Irwin (Bruff)
    5. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes (Vice-Captain) (Patrickswell)
    7. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    8. William O'Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    10. Shane Dowling (Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    12. Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh)
    13. Liam O Sullivan (Knockaderry)
    14. Kevin O Brien (Patrickswell)
    15. Pat Ryan (Doon)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Limerick U-21 named, not really as I predicted at all:
    9. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)

Becoming a Limerick hurling hero is way more important than the Leaving, proper order :pac:

I got 9/15 right... I mean, I would have picked Cian Lynch if I thought he would play. It's a bit mad really, I know he's related to Ciarán, but he's doing his Leaving Cert that morning, and the next morning- not sure it's fair to ask him to play. Definitely improves the team though, it's a class act.

Apparently Jack Aherne is injured, he'll be a loss for sure. Disappointed for him, I think he's a very talented player, and this was his real chance to lay down a marker on the intercounty scene.

No Barry Lynch and no Barry O'Connell is mad, both have been on the senior squad in the past. Barry O'Connell is a hugely talented player, and this will be his 4th season with the U-21s. He's had a few injury issues, but I'm fairly sure he's fit atm. Barry Lynch could have injury problems, again it would be strange not to play him, was excellent last year and was involved with the seniors based on excellent club form.

Carmody picked at wing-back, Callaghan given the nod over Casey in the corner, Pat Ryan favoured over his Doon colleague, Coleman, in the forwards. Senior footballer, Mike Fitzgibbon, is chosen at half-forward, superb ball-winner. Liam O'Sullivan in the corner, very good hurler, with Stapleton given the nod over Hall in goal- both decent keepers.

It's still a strong team, and they'll probably do very well for Carey- from 5-12 in particular looks very combative and all well able to hurl.

But at the same time- no Barry Lynch, no Barry O'Connell, no David Reidy, no Ronan Lynch, no Jack Aherne... I would say they are easily 5 of the best U-21s in the county.

And Clare have named their team too:

1. Keith Hogan (Clooney-Quin)
    2. Jarlath Colleran (St. Joseph's)
    3. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    4. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
    5. Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge)
    6. Conor Cleary (Kilmaley)
    7. Gearoid O'Connell (Ballyea)
    8. Eoin Enright (Kilmaley)
    9. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    10. Shane Gleeson (Cratloe)
    11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
    12. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)
    13. Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones)
    14. David Reidy (Eire Óg)
    15. Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle)

Bench:
    16. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)
    17. Shane McGrath (Feakle)
    18. Shane O'Brien (Clonlara)
    19. Eoin Quirke (Whitegate)
    20. David Conroy (St. Joseph's)
    21. Brian Carey (Sixmilebridge)
    22. Shane Taylor (Broadford)
    23. Stephen Ward (Clarecastle)
    24. Niall O'Connor (Newmarket)

Maybe some Clare posters can give some more insight, but it looks a very strong team, for sure. Perhaps not quite as strong as last year, and losing Tots, O'Neill and O'Donnell is a blow. But still you've got senior intercounty players throughout the side- in Kelly and Galvin you have two of the best hurlers in the country. Peter Duggan is as good a ballwinner as there is, Cunningham, Bobby Duggan and David Reidy will cause havoc at this level.

• Advertisement

I know I'm overdoing the posts tonight, but wanted to make a comment on this. I know Copper Pipe posted this earlier, but it's worth mentioning again:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ace-marksman-dowling-delighted-to-shoot-down-limerick-critics-270696.html

“Last week, the chairman of the club showed me a text message from a journalist in Limerick. I’ve no problem with someone voicing their opinion. Players play bad, they know they’ve played bad.

“That particular person personally abused me in that text message. I don’t say that lightly. Above anything else I’m just delighted I got my chance today. And I hope I answered him.

Absolutely no place for personally abusing players, unless they went out and assaulted someone or pulled a really dirty stroke or something. If someone plays below par, criticism is fine, but not actual abuse. And he's only 20 as well, giving it his all, one of our key players and he could have another 12 years left at this level.

He speaks well, delighted for him, let's hope he can show what he can do again on Wednesday evening. He's the talisman for the U-21 team, needs to make a big contribution from play as well as the frees.

They all seem to be mentioning the lack of respect shown to them as Munster champions. I know we all had doubts within the county, and they were written off in the media all over... they seem to have been really aggrieved by that and obviously had a point to prove. If we do play Clare in the final, let's hope they feel they owe them one too.

One of dodgy's points yesterday came came from quaid and a couple of short passes being given ball gets to dodge and he rattles it over. Listening to DO'G on friday on today FM, he said he didnt care if a pass was short or long as long as it was accurate. You didnt hear too many guffaws from the limerick crowd when it worked yesterday indeed Jimbob was outstanding winning ball and then laying it off accurately - the only time he messes up was when hit it long surely this is the antihesis of limerick hurling. Strange that so many wanted him to get MOTM eh. The endless "fecking short passing is the root of all evil" from lierick fans is tiresome.

We cant drop GOM after one average performance but i think everyone agrees that the half back line needs strenghtening. (GOM would be a better forward than DOG). Given tobin's poor display there's a real consideration for 3 at midfield or indeed 4 half forwards.

I hope its clare in the final, will know exactly where we stand after and they will exploit weaknesses that we can work on for a QF (assuming we lose)

Anyoine got the subs for the u-21, very light but very fast at midsield, could be a cracker, hopefully can get out of work to make it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Just going to give my thoughts. Whilst we were lucky, we were the better team overall. The hunger was immense. Because of last year I was confident our backs would be able to handle the Tipp forwards it was just a matter of if we could score enough to stay in touch.
    It's probably been said but I thought Tipp were naive in their tactics. Especially placing Bonner in the full forward line first half.
    On the subject on the short ball. I think what was most grating was the fact most of it was needless to begin with. There was no short puck outs on Sunday no over elaboration in the backs.
    The best thing is there's no injuries, some players didn't perform but we still won and that should bring a bite to training until the Munster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

One of dodgy's points yesterday came came from quaid and a couple of short passes being given ball gets to dodge and he rattles it over. Listening to DO'G on friday on today FM, he said he didnt care if a pass was short or long as long as it was accurate. You didnt hear too many guffaws from the limerick crowd when it worked yesterday indeed Jimbob was outstanding winning ball and then laying it off accurately - the only time he messes up was when hit it long surely this is the antihesis of limerick hurling. Strange that so many wanted him to get MOTM eh. The endless "fecking short passing is the root of all evil" from lierick fans is tiresome.

We cant drop GOM after one average performance but i think everyone agrees that the half back line needs strenghtening. (GOM would be a better forward than DOG). Given tobin's poor display there's a real consideration for 3 at midfield or indeed 4 half forwards.

I hope its clare in the final, will know exactly where we stand after and they will exploit weaknesses that we can work on for a QF (assuming we lose)

Anyoine got the subs for the u-21, very light but very fast at midsield, could be a cracker, hopefully can get out of work to make it down.

I completely agree on your outlook on the passing game. We played a good passing game up to the final third of the pitch last year and did similar yesterday. However the difference when O'Grady was there was striking. Overuse of short passes and hand lads. He absolutely has to accept responsibility for that, the difference in play from when he was there to last year, and to how we played Sunday, is too huge to be waved off. We still need to work on our delivery to te inside forwards. Paudie and others can be guilty of lumping it long. If they can't pick a stick pass they should at least be hitting diagonal balls to space.

Agree on playing Clare, and I agree there should be changes for the next game. We are well stocked with middle third type players and I think we'd be better off starting someone like Tom Ryan, Allis or Breen and having Tobin in when the game opens up when he's likely to chip in with scores and put his energy to good use.

Won't make it down for the 21s game, I would nearly have taken a day off to go if it wasn't on tv. Really looking forward to it though being realistic this Clare team is ridiculously talented and we are unlucky to be missing a few of our best players at this grade.

Agree with the points made by paddy and glas.

Nothing wrong with short passing, said it many times, indeed a short handpass/stick pass is better than just lumping it long aimlessly (which we did a few times). But during the league, we were fcuking around with it, going sideways and backwards and putting ourselves under pressure. The whole point of the short passing is to move it into space, you don't handpass it short to a man who's marked. We used it well in parts, and some of the direct balls were good, but there was still too many that gave our forwards no chance.

A few bad wides by Browne, Jim-Bob, Hannon a few bad touches by a few players... hopefully they are things that can be sorted by the final.

I think you could definitely make a case for a serious re-jigging of the half-back line. If Lar hadn't fresh-aired it, or someone had flicked Dowling's shot away from goal and we had lost... we'd all be very critical and looking for massive changes. Should that not happen just because we won?

This is where they failed most in the league, the half-back line was pretty much the same throughout. Wayne was beaten as badly by Bonner Maher as I've ever seen a player beaten... he's just not a centre-back. A fine, physical hurler but a wing-back if anything. Paudie is great in the space, but doesn't always track the runners brilliantly and doesn't dominate in the air. I am one of his biggest fans, was calling for him to be in the team long before he was called up, but he's a midfielder really. And Gavin normally plays well in the big games, but I think he's suffering from a lack of competition- he hasn't always played at the standard we know he can, but he's in no danger of losing his place and that can sub-consciously cause a player to be less sharp.

Barry O'Connell & Dan Morrissey were impressive at centre-back for LIT & UL respectively in the Fitzgibbon, Cathal Mc was the most impressive in the club championship, James O'Brien has been good in the past for Na Piarsaigh, then there was talk of Dodge or Hannon (don't fancy Hannon there). Should have been tried. Maybe next year Nicky Quaid can take over there, look at how commanding in the air he is and he's a lovely hurler.

If I was picking the team, I'd move Tom Ryan and Hickey into that half-back line, giving it a bit more of a physical presence. And I'd concur with removing Tobin... no fault of his really, but if we're going to play like we did against Tipp, we're better off having an extra midfield-type player.

I'd consider:
    Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Hickey Gavin
    Jim-Bob Browne
    Hannon
    Dodge Downes Breen/Allis
    Dowling Mulcahy

If Carmody or Morrissey go really well for the U-21s, I'd consider playing them.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think you could definitely make a case for a serious re-jigging of the half-back line. If Lar hadn't fresh-aired it, or someone had flicked Dowling's shot away from goal and we had lost... we'd all be very critical and looking for massive changes. Should that not happen just because we won?

This is where they failed most in the league, the half-back line was pretty much the same throughout. Wayne was beaten as badly by Bonner Maher as I've ever seen a player beaten... he's just not a centre-back. A fine, physical hurler but a wing-back if anything. Paudie is great in the space, but doesn't always track the runners brilliantly and doesn't dominate in the air. I am one of his biggest fans, was calling for him to be in the team long before he was called up, but he's a midfielder really. And Gavin normally plays well in the big games, but I think he's suffering from a lack of competition- he hasn't always played at the standard we know he can, but he's in no danger of losing his place and that can sub-consciously cause a player to be less sharp.

Barry O'Connell & Dan Morrissey were impressive at centre-back for LIT & UL respectively in the Fitzgibbon, Cathal Mc was the most impressive in the club championship, James O'Brien has been good in the past for Na Piarsaigh, then there was talk of Dodge or Hannon (don't fancy Hannon there). Should have been tried. Maybe next year Nicky Quaid can take over there, look at how commanding in the air he is and he's a lovely hurler.

If I was picking the team, I'd move Tom Ryan and Hickey into that half-back line, giving it a bit more of a physical presence. And I'd concur with removing Tobin... no fault of his really, but if we're going to play like we did against Tipp, we're better off having an extra midfield-type player.

I'd consider:
    Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Hickey Gavin
    Jim-Bob Browne
    Hannon
    Dodge Downes Breen/Allis
    Dowling Mulcahy

If Carmody or Morrissey go really well for the U-21s, I'd consider playing them.
    Bit harsh on Wayne who was marking Tipps best player, don't think he was quite as bad as you make out. Both our wing backs were weak enough though, tough call on replacing one of them, you'd probably keep Gavin but it'd be on reputation really. Hickey's display the last day makes him the obvious candidate for 6. But the way he was played the last day, tracking the roaming tipp forward was massively effective and probably no other player could do it so well. Maybe Dempsey or King but again, wouldn't have the impact Hickey had, and Dempsey doesn't seem to be getting a look in. Hickey will likely play the same role against Cork or Clare who only play two inside forwards.

Dodge is probably the only other option for 6 but that won't happen this year. I'd disagree and say Breen was the most impressive half back in the club championship, played half back in two challenge games I think but it would be a risk to start him. Did you arrive in time for the intermediate game? If so you would have seen Cathal Mc at wing back but playing mostly at 6, not an option for the senior team yet IMO. O'Brien has been a shadow of his 2011 form, I hope he can get back to what he's capable of, in 2011 I thought he would be the limerick 6 by now. O'Connell is injured currently I think.

In the set up you've picked, and if one corner back is going to roam again following his marker as hickey did i'd go:

Quaid
    Dempsey Richie Condon
    Wayne Hickey Gavin
    Browne Dodge Ryan
    Hannon Downes Breen
    Mulcahy Dowling

Ryan, Paudie, Allis, and Tobin give you a better balanced set of options on the bench to cover every line that can make an impact.

Couple of decent articles in the Examiner recently:

Hammy Dawson of St. Pat's threatens to lie in the middle of the pitch during the Junior A hurling final after they were forced to give a walkover because they had players involved with the junior & senior county football teams. County board wouldn't agree to delay the game... seems like he has a point.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/club-official-vows-to-lsquolie-in-the-middle-of-the-pitchrsquo-to-halt-limerick-final-270755.html

Gavin O'Mahony and TJ want to win the All-Ireland, and Downes says it's not about a direct or short game, it's about the right ball. That's what you want to hear.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/orsquomahony-treaty-fans-must-catch-up-270754.html

The examiner had the story about the abusive text towards Dowling, TJ also airs his view about "one individual in particular"; they really don't seem happy. Which is fair, I suppose.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ryanrsquos-sweet-dreams-after-the-sleepless-nights-270756.html

And more to Limerick than fire and brimstone. Have to agree with that... I mean it's all very well talking about heart and passion, and we have that in spades. But we have some super hurlers... I still maintain that Dowling, Hannon, Mulcahy and Downes are as skilful a quartet of forwards as any in the country. Gavin, Paudie, Browne, Ryan, Tobin, Dodge- these are all very nice hurlers.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/more-to-limerick-than-fire-and-brimstone-270753.html

Id be closer to glas' team there, curiously i think you could swap GOM and hannon and be stronger. Looking forward to the u-21 tommorrow see who can press for a place if anyone, havent seen a few of these play.

Bit harsh on Wayne who was marking Tipps best player, don't think he was quite as bad as you make out. Both our wing backs were weak enough though, tough call on replacing one of them, you'd probably keep Gavin but it'd be on reputation really. Hickey's display the last day makes him the obvious candidate for 6. But the way he was played the last day, tracking the roaming tipp forward was massively effective and probably no other player could do it so well. Maybe Dempsey or King but again, wouldn't have the impact Hickey had, and Dempsey doesn't seem to be getting a look in. Hickey will likely play the same role against Cork or Clare who only play two inside forwards.

Dodge is probably the only other option for 6 but that won't happen this year. I'd disagree and say Breen was the most impressive half back in the club championship, played half back in two challenge games I think but it would be a risk to start him. Did you arrive in time for the intermediate game? If so you would have seen Cathal Mc at wing back but playing mostly at 6, not an option for the senior team yet IMO. O'Brien has been a shadow of his 2011 form, I hope he can get back to what he's capable of, in 2011 I thought he would be the limerick 6 by now. O'Connell is injured currently I think.

In the set up you've picked, and if one corner back is going to roam again following his marker as hickey did i'd go:

Quaid
    Dempsey Richie Condon
    Wayne Hickey Gavin
    Browne Dodge Ryan
    Hannon Downes Breen
    Mulcahy Dowling

Ryan, Paudie, Allis, and Tobin give you a better balanced set of options on the bench to cover every line that can make an impact.

I am being harsh on Wayne, I'll admit that. But it did show that Wayne should not be at centre-back, he'd have been much more comfortable on the wing, smashing Bubbles or Gar Ryan or someone, rather than trying to track Bonner, who almost won them the game single-handedly. I want to see Ryan at wing-back, a half-back line of Wayne-Hickey-Ryan would be a very tough, very dogged one.

It all depends on who the roaming forward is. If Clare play like they did last year against us, they have roaming forwards, but they also play with a double centre-back... we wouldn't need someone like Hickey in defence, he'd be needed around the middle of the field. I'd say someone like Allis could do that role in that area (or Dempsey or King or Carmody). I actually would love to see Hannon as a roaming forward of our own, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

I only got there for extra-time for the intermediates, couldn't judge Cathal Mc really. But he was excellent for the intermediates this time last year. Arguably the best Limerick player then.

Your team is similar enough, you just keep Wayne over Tom Ryan. And have Breen over Allis, I was undecided. Slightly different shape, but basically the same. I think Ryan deserves a chance.

Id be closer to glas' team there, curiously i think you could swap GOM and hannon and be stronger. Looking forward to the u-21 tommorrow see who can press for a place if anyone, havent seen a few of these play.

Hannon to wing-back? I know Gavin has been playing in the forwards for Kilmallock...... but I believe that you need Hannon sweeping up ball around the half-forward/midfield area. His point-scoring ability is too good to lose. Hard to know what do with Gavin really, a very good player. I don't think moving him to the forward line is a move that should be done in a Munster final though, that's something for the league.

Yeah, and even the ones I have seen before, be interesting to see how they go against a serious Clare outfit. The likes of Byrnes, O'Brien, O'Donoghue, Dempsey, English in particular... one thing doing it at club level, another thing at county.

Yeah hannon to CB, not advocating it just a comment on glas' side.

• Advertisement

Honestly I believe the same 15 will be used the next day. The half back is not for changing I think, it's been the one consistent line all season. The only change I can see being made is Tobin losing out but it just didn't go his way.

I have said since the Clare match last year that Limerick need a change at centre back but I honestly believe Hickey is not the solution. If he is to play in the backs, it has to be at corner back.

Don't think Hickey is a natural corner back any more if he ever was. He wasn't played as a traditional corner back last week though, it turned out to be a master stroke. He's a natural half back/midfielder.

Hannon to 6 is not a runner, he hasn't played there this year, or any year at senior. Don't think he has ever even played a game at half back for his club. That aside, he is out and out half forward, not a back. We don't need him at half back and to take a super forward and try to shoehorn him into being a 6, at this level, is madness.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/can-limerick-stop-clare-u-21-behemoth/#

The U-21s are really confident that they can cause an upset. They've been quietly going about their business, but they've been training really well, have done excellently in challenges and will be really fired.

Some big players not available due to injury, which is a big blow. Probably more to us than their injured players are to them, but I reckon Tots could be the biggest loss of the lot.

I think our half-back line could get on top, and we'll hit them hard all over the pitch, and the half-forward line are well able to win the ball and run straight at them. As are Lynch & O'Donoghue.

I think an upset could be on the cards, hearing good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Becoming a Limerick hurling hero is way more important than the Leaving, proper order :pac:

Disgraceful and irresponsible decision in my opinion. Leaving cert students should be unavailable for selection - it's not worth the risk. I disagreed with it when it was Shaughs in 2001 and I disagree now.

grimbergen wrote: »
    Disgraceful and irresponsible decision in my opinion. Leaving cert students should be unavailable for selection - it's not worth the risk. I disagreed with it when it was Shaughs in 2001 and I disagree now.
    And what if the player wants to play? I doubt management have put a gun to his head and are forcing him play.
    Wasn't Shaughs doing his Leaving in 2003 and missed the Senior replay against Waterford at the time?

Glas, I just think Hickey is too loose out the field when he has defensive responsibilities. That's why I think the corner is the best position for him. He gives a great boast to teams when he comes out with balls. It's just my opinion, I'd be glad if he proved me wrong, but as I said I can't too much change happening from now on.

francozola wrote: »
    Honestly I believe the same 15 will be used the next day. The half back is not for changing I think, it's been the one consistent line all season. The only change I can see being made is Tobin losing out but it just didn't go his way.

I have said since the Clare match last year that Limerick need a change at centre back but I honestly believe Hickey is not the solution. If he is to play in the backs, it has to be at corner back.

I think it would be a mistake not to change the half-back line. We didn't change the team last year and we suffered in the end... other teams adapted.

A good few players will not be happy with their performances, and the management have to look at the half-back line. Tipp lads saying that Bubbles was poor, he still scored 0-4 from play. Gar Ryan got 1-2. Bonner got a goal, but set up so much more.

I'm not 100% sure that Hickey is the answer, he certainly wouldn't be a centre-back in the mould of Curran or Geary or someone. But in a looser structure, with deep-lying midfielders, he could definitely work. He's a brilliant sweeper. I actually think his best position is midfield, playing like Jim-Bob did on Sunday, but centre-back is where the problem lies.

grimbergen wrote: »

It is probably very easy to put a blanket ban on Leaving Cert students. but it really depends on the individual.

I did the Leaving Cert not too long ago, and if I had been good enough, I would have played on the night of my first exam.

In fact, I was going to play a soccer match but it was called off because of students being involved with the Leaving. But that comes down to it, top minors are always going to be involved with U-21s, why is this match scheduled for now? With a month's break to the next one? Unnecessary imo.

But yeah, how people treat the Leaving depends on the person. It is definitely hyped up way too much.... and depending on what course you want to do, some people can easily get the points necessary. Maybe you want to do the best you can, but that's just for yourself... maybe you also want to be involved in what could be a famous victory against the All-Ireland Champions? I didn't do as well as I possibly could have in my Leaving, but I still got the points I needed... plenty of people are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

And what if the player wants to play? I doubt management have put a gun to his head and are forcing him play.
    Wasn't Shaughs doing his Leaving in 2003 and missed the Senior replay against Waterford at the time?

Of course he wants to play like any red-blooded 18 year old would, I don't hold the young fella responsible. I just think those in positions of responsibility need to take a cool dispassionate look and say "we're sitting you're out for this one, you've got a long hurling career ahead of you "etc.

Decision is made now and best of luck to Cian, on both endeavours..

Cian has the talent to have a stormer, hope he shows what he's capable of. Up against tough opposition in Galvin, but in terms of raw talent, he's one of the best I've ever seen.

Glas, I just think Hickey is too loose out the field when he has defensive responsibilities. That's why I think the corner is the best position for him. He gives a great boast to teams when he comes out with balls. It's just my opinion, I'd be glad if he proved me wrong, but as I said I can't too much change happening from now on.
    Surely saying he's too loose is the exact reason he shouldn't be corner back??

The scheduling of this 21s match is an absolute disgrace, no need to play it until after exams are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Anyone on hear provide me with some information about the Limerick V Kilkenny U21 Challenge game which was held the other night. Apparently Limerick won comfortably

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement