Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Anyone on hear provide me with some information about the Limerick V Kilkenny U21 Challenge game which was held the other night. Apparently Limerick won comfortably

That was a few weeks ago, limerick won well but a kk lad broke Reidy's collar bone. There may be a report from one of the other posters a few pages back, I'm pretty sure someone had the team up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

That was a few weeks ago, limerick won well but a kk lad broke Reidy's collar bone. There may be a report from one of the other posters a few pages back, I'm pretty sure someone had the team up.

KK man here. No I went back nearly 30 pages and I cant seem to find anything. I had heard that yee hammered us the other day and I was just curious to find out what sort of a team we had out

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    KK man here. No I went back nearly 30 pages and I cant seem to find anything. I had heard that yee hammered us the other day and I was just curious to find out what sort of a team we had out

Didn't see any info on the kk team but it was probably as strong a limerick team as we had available on the day. Think that game was about two or three weeks ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Clare are some side, still we done alright, their class and cohesion told in the end.

We got cleaned out at corner forward and corner back, the english tactic back fired as there was no breaking ball clare had it in their hand (might have prevented more goals though)

Once we missed the goal chances we were never going to stick with them

Lynch, morrissey, o'brien were good
    Dowling and dempsey a bit disapointing

Morrissey should have been centre back right? There's an issue here i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That was a bit disappointing. We were close for periods, and Clare are clearly a good side, but they weren't firing on all cylinders either.

There was no sign of the savage intensity I expected to see from our lads, and we were guilty of some very poor decision-making. Running down blind alleys, running into their swarm defence, and attempting to use the hurl to knock down to no-one, instead of attempting to catch the ball.

We badly missed players like O'Connell & Barry & Ronan Lynch imo. Stupid red card for Byrnes. In fact, we started using the ball a lot better once we were at 14.

I'll go into more detail later, but I was disappointed. On that display, Carey didn't exactly lay down a marker for senior manager. Dowling looked sluggish, hit wides he'd never miss. Bit disappointed in Carmody as well, not sure he's a wing-back. O'Brien, Lynch, Morrissey & English were our best players imo, thought English was very good. Coleman & Donovan looked lively from the bench too.

Hope Aaron Cunningham is okay, be gutting for him to miss the senior Championship. Morey & Reidy were excellent for them.

• Advertisement

Might bring the county back to earth a bit after last weekend. Which is probably a good thing... some of the failings that were evident tonight were seen in the senior team too.

I'm disappointed in Carey et al tbh, I know they were up against a good team and were missing some key players but tactically, I think we could have been a lot smarter.

In truth its not a bad result for us, the minors is where its at this year, the u-21 grade would only have been a distraction for the lynchs et al.

Plus dowling has one less grade to play at.

A slightly better performance would have been nice, but wexfords drubbing of KK means our form going in wasnt as strong as we thought and the injuries were crucial we didnt have the depth to cope like clare did.

The minors v cork is the next big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Shane Dowling is definitely not a halfforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Shane Dowling is definitely not a halfforward.

He's 25/1 to be the championship top scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The minors v cork is the next big one.

You'll be winning that surely. Was told four of your Minors were good enough to line out for the U-21s last night. Overwhelming faves for the AI as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

The primary issue last night was failure to win clean possession. Clare's half back line and their forwards dominated that aspect. Any time Limerick got possession in that aspect, they troubled Clare. You have to compliment Clare on developing that side of their game, it's very Kilkenny like. We done well to stick around for so long, that Clare team has plenty of experience at senior level.

Orizio - 4 minors? The only minor who is eligible to play this year and who played last night is Cian Lynch. There were several of last years minor team playing alright - English, Coleman, O'Donovan, Ryan and Dempsey.

Match last night went largely along expected lines, Clare were a class above. Not only that but they were older and physically bigger than a very young limerick team which is huge at this level.

Fireball and paddy, think ye're spot on on everything except on Carmody and Dempsey. I thought Carmody was our best player on the night and I thought Dempsey battled hard and did well against probably Clare's 6. Dempsey is only just out of minor and Cleary is on his second year (at least) at this grade.

While Clare were clearly the better team on the night the referee was very bad for limerick and I think that contributed to the final scoreboard, we did well for long periods and maybe a 7 point margin would have been a better reflection.

I think the match last night showed the importance of a top class coach like Kinnerk. The difference in the teams' striking, support, and patterns of play was obvious. Ciaran is a good manager but he needs a good coach in with him, not the likes of Tom Ryan.

Apparently the lads were really gutted last night, heard that a few of them were in tears in the dressing-room. And Tom Ryan in the leader today saying that they are disappointed because they didn't perform.

I mean for some of them it's the last time they'll represent Limerick at that high a level. And I suppose when you train for so long, it's hard when you don't play as well as you can/expect.

Meant to do this the other night, but was busy... while it's nice to win underage titles, the real point is bringing through players who are good enough for senior level. Looking at the performance, which of those players are good enough to make the step up?

Darragh Stapleton- Hard to say. Couldn't fault him for either of the goals... didn't do one short or quick puck-out. Probably a management thing, but we struggled to win clean ball so needed to vary it.

Mark Callaghan- Was under a lot of pressure for the whole night. Both our corner-backs found it hard to live with Cunningham/Bobby Duggan. Compared to last year when Dempsey and Carmody were our two best players by a mile, it wasn't a performance that says he'll play for the senior team in a position where we actually have lots of good players.

Richie English- I thought he was one of our best players. Wasn't always at full-back, Clare played with a 2-man line. Seemed to move to the wing when Byrnes got sent off. For a fella just out of minor, he brings a lot of physicality, and plays heads-up hurling. You can see how a half-back line of himself, Cathal Mc & Dinny Moloney is strong... I think he'll definitely play senior for Limerick, maybe at wing-back before full-back.

Shane Irwin- Like Callaghan, he struggled. He is a good player, but it wasn't a good performance from him.

Mark Carmody- A lot of people are saying he was one of our best players... maybe it's because I rate him very highly, but I thought he was well below his best. I don't think he's a wing-back, I think he'd have been better off in 5 other positions rather than there. He did some good things, scored a great point, but if he had been tracking Kelly, or sweeping around the middle or even keeping an eye on the men inside, he'd have been better.

Diarmuid Byrnes- Disappointing from him. He's a fine player, usually very dominant in the air, but I saw him swinging his hurley above his head instead of trying to catch the ball and it's not as if we were winning breaking ball. One great catch in the first half, but a very stupid red card to get.

Dan Morrissey- Probably the best of our backline on the night. Scored a very good point too, and at least pressurised the Clare forwards who were trying to come through on goal. Was moved to the centre and did make a bit of an impact. Already on the senior panel, could be a good option there, uses the ball well for sure.

William O'Donoghue- A bit of a disaster of a night for him. I think we all had high expectations, but he struggled against the Clare midfield and never really got into the game.

Cian Lynch- In the first half was probably our best player. Scored a brilliant point, set up a goal chance with a brilliant cross-field ball. At least he brought a bit of fight to the middle third, although perhaps his defensive contributions could be better. But he's so young, he'll learn, he's incredibly talented... a few of the Clare supporters were very impressed by him. He'll go on to be a great player.

Shane Dowling- Obviously he's already a key player for the seniors, but it wasn't a good night for him really. He looked tired, he missed frees that he normally doesn't miss. Still scored 8 or 9 points, made a few catches, but definitely struggled with tracking the Clare wing-backs bursting out of defence. One ridiculous free against him, when he was being clearly impeded after a brilliant take. And despite being below-par, he showed a flash of inspiration by goaling from 45m with a free... which on another day may have been allowed. The fact that he was sharp enough to do it and pull it off shows what he is capable of. Thought he was a bit unlucky, and if it had been allowed, would have cut the gap.

Dave Dempsey- Was probably the best of the half-forward line in terms of competing with the Clare backs, although Cleary was dominant, but he really didn't do enough with the ball. Didn't know how to deal with the swarm defence... he did win a few frees, but he looked a bit clueless at times. Not all his fault, the tactics didn't help. Think he should have been put in closer to goal at some stage, where he might have used the space better.

Mike Fitzgibbon- Scored one nice point, won some good balls, but again did very little. Had a few marauding runs through the middle... but he overran them all, and didn't use the ball well. Disappointing, because they were positions where we could have hurt them.

Liam O'Sullivan- Anonymous really. Clare corner-backs were on top, and he seemed to be pushed off the ball too easily. Missed Jack Aherne in the corner, I think.

Kevin O'Brien- The shining light of our forwards, he had Jack Browne under all sorts of pressure. He showed that maybe he could be an option at senior level. He's a very clever hurler, but if he wants to make the step-up, he'll need to improve his finishing. Missed some good chances, but was still our one real outlet in attack. A good game.

Pat Ryan- When he had lots of space, he did well, but in general, he struggled to win ball. Set up the goal at the end, and scored a point (which I'm pretty sure was wide), but didn't have his best game. Thought Coleman was more impressive when he came on.

Darragh Donovan- Definitely improved our midfield when he came on, scored a good point. Could be a good option in the future, still very young.

Dean Coleman- Doing his leaving cert afaik, but made an impact, one brilliant run which sliced through the Clare defence, very unlucky to be denied a goal by a brilliant save. I think his extreme pace would have made a difference to the attack.

Brian Griffin- Very quiet really.

Not sure if we made another sub, can't think now.... we definitely missed ball-winners like Barry Lynch and Barry O'Connell in our half-back line, would have freed up Carmody for the corner or the middle of the field (or even the half-forward line). Reidy and Ronan Lynch would have boosted our half-forward line, particularly when it came to ball-winning. Lynch also has the ability to knock over sidelines from anywhere inside the '45. Clare coped much better without Tots, O'Donnell & O'Neill than we did without our lads.

We have drawn London at home in the football, and that will take place on the 21st of June afaik. As good a draw as we could have hoped for, and after a decent league campaign, it's one we should be winning.

Obviously the Tipp game was a massive disappointment, we need to learn from our mistakes and make sure we win this one.

For the football game, I'd go with a few changes to give us our best chance of winning:
    O'Sullivan
    O'Dea McCarthy Browne
    Riordan
    Corbett Lucey Ranahan
    Galvin Lee
    Hegarty Buckley
    Collins
    Hanrahan Ryan

I think we'll need to play a sweeper, and Riordan is the man with the legs for the position. Bring Ranahan back into the team, but you've still got Razor on the bench.

Bit harsh on Treacy who was decent, but Galvin is our best ball-winner. Hegarty made a big impact from the bench and actually runs at teams.

Would have Hanrahan deeper, getting him running from the half-forward line but he also has the ability to turn his man and go for goal so I've said Collins to act as the link between the half-forward and full-forward lines. Be interesting to see what he does... Jamie Lee and Peter Nash were impressive for the juniors, wonder will they get a chance- young, enthusiastic footballers. Danny Neville, Mike Fitzgibbon, Killian Phair as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We have drawn London at home in the football, and that will take place on the 21st of June afaik. As good a draw as we could have hoped for, and after a decent league campaign, it's one we should be winning.

Obviously the Tipp game was a massive disappointment, we need to learn from our mistakes and make sure we win this one.

Tough one lads there in drawing London, we could only beat them by a point this weekend. Tis true Kilkenny beat them this weekend in London at that 3-8 to 1-13 after a ferocious battle. I suppose they are in the losers group along with your selves. I don't know who we are meeting next probably Dublin or Kerry or one of the other top teams in the winners enclosure.

There was finally information given about the U-17 tournament we won in Wexford on the Limerick GAA facebook page. Happened a few weeks ago:

Congratulations to tournament winners Limerick U17 hurlers:
    Recently Limerick U17 hurlers were winners of Loch Garman Cup Final Fe17 Hurling Tournament the tournament took place on Bank holiday Monday 2nd June 2014 in Pairc Charmain, Wexford. Below are details of the games that was play as well as scorers in each game team panel are also listed.

Group Game 1
    Limerick v Dublin
    Half-time score Limerick 0-10 Dublin 0-01
    Full-time score Limerick 1-16 Dublin 1-03

Scorers for Limerick:
    Joe Lonergan 0-02, Mickey Mackey 0-02, Paudie Ahern 0-03, Kyle Dillon 0-09 (0-05 Frees) Barry Murphy 1-00

Group Game 2
    Limerick v Wexford Gold
    Half-time score Limerick 2-07 Wexford Gold 1-05
    Full-time score Limerick 2-09 Wexford Gold 2-09

Scorers for Limerick:
    Kyle Dillon 0-02, Liam McCarton 0-01, Darren O’Connell 0-03, Joe Lonergan 2-00, Mickey Mackey 0-01, Barry Murphy 0-02 (0-02 Frees)

Final
    Limerick v Wexford Purple
    Half-time score Limerick 1-14 Wexford Purple 0-01
    Full-time score Limerick 2-24 Wexford Purple 1-04

Scorers for Limerick:
    Kyle Dillon 1-09 (0-05 Frees), Eoin Ryan 0-01, Paudie Ahern 0-01, Liam McCarton 0-01, Joe Lonergan 0-05, Barry Murphy 1-03, Mickey Mackey 0-02, Aaron Hackett 0-02

Limerick Panel:
    Adam O Brien (Ahane), Sean Hogan (Adare), Luke Doran (Ballybrown), Tadgh Whelan (Doon), Conor Quinn (Ballybrown), Michael Andrews (Na Piarsaigh), Peader Collins (Na Piarsaigh), David Broderick (Na Piarsaigh), Micky Mackey (Ahane), Mark Connolly (Adare), Paudie Ahern (Killeedy), Eoin Ryan (Adare), Kyle Dillon (Bruff), Barry Murphy (Doon), Aaron Hacket (Ahane), Paul Bennis (Patrickswell), Joseph Lonergan (Cappamore), Liam Carton (Newcastlewest), Shane Joyce (Patrickswell), Darren O'Connell (Pallaskenry), Colm Carroll (Ahane), Gearoid Downey (Kileedy) and Eoghan McNamara (Doon).

Good to see more underage. Good mix of clubs too. I think the two Doon lads- Barry Murphy and Eoghan McNamara are the only current minors in that panel.

Good to have a Micky Mackey from Ahane involved, and scoring. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wasn't me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

He's actually from Adare.

• Advertisement

RB94 wrote: »
    He's actually from Adare.

As in he plays for Adare, or originally from Adare?

Any relation to the great man himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone know when tickets are going on sale for Munster final? Looks like we'll be making a trip to cork

panda100 wrote: »
    Anyone know when tickets are going on sale for Munster final? Looks like we'll be making a trip to cork

Someone said to me June 30th, but surely it'll be sooner than that?

Capacity in Cork reduced to 30k, hope I get a ticket.

Be fair tough to get tickets

Who marks cadogan?

(sean Cavanagh just fcuk off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Someone said to me June 30th, but surely it'll be sooner than that?

Capacity in Cork reduced to 30k, hope I get a ticket.

Should really be moved to Thurles, if the stadium isn't fit to hold the ground then shouldn't be deemed a suitable venue.

Be fair tough to get tickets

Who marks cadogan?

(sean Cavanagh just fcuk off)

Condon would handle him, I'd say. But then who watches Horgan?

If I was picking the team, I'd be picking Dempsey, and I'd let him start on Cadogan, but I can see TJ sticking with the same team.

Should really be moved to Thurles, if the stadium isn't fit to hold the ground then shouldn't be deemed a suitable venue.

Cork will never give up home advantage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Gaelic Grounds last year, down the Pairc this year - thats the agreement with the counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Condon would handle him, I'd say. But then who watches Horgan?

If I was picking the team, I'd be picking Dempsey, and I'd let him start on Cadogan, but I can see TJ sticking with the same team.

No doubt your right, but a lack of consideration for their own fans their too.

They've played 3 games in Thurles already this year, and while I'm not sure how he chooses to motivate his team would be a convenient way for JBM to build a siege mentality. Cork couldn't lose. What way do gate receipts work for these home and away games? I suppose that's their biggest concern?

Surely with 22,500 extra people in attendance though they could make the same?

Gaelic Grounds last year, down the Pairc this year - thats the agreement with the counties

Yeah, I know.

I'd be surprised if the Páirc was able to fulfil the ticket demands though... but as you say, that's the arrangement, and there's no way Cork will let it be moved.

Although the last time it was done up, ye came up to Limerick twice in a row and then we went down twice. But can't see that happening this time.

• Advertisement

No doubt your right, but a lack of consideration for their own fans their too.

They've played 3 games in Thurles already this year, and while I'm not sure how he chooses to motivate his team would be a convenient way for JBM to build a siege mentality. Cork couldn't lose. What way do gate receipts work for these home and away games? I suppose that's their biggest concern?

Surely with 22,500 extra people in attendance though they could make the same?

I'm not sure how gate receipts work, but I always thought they go to the Munster Council and are distributed from there.

But people said that playing in Limerick was a huge advantage last year, and Cork are a lot more likely to outnumber Limerick fans down in the Pairc than in Thurles... and presumably they'd be more used to the pitch too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement