Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how gate receipts work, but I always thought they go to the Munster Council and are distributed from there.

But people said that playing in Limerick was a huge advantage last year, and Cork are a lot more likely to outnumber Limerick fans down in the Pairc than in Thurles... and presumably they'd be more used to the pitch too.

Not really, there will have to be an even enough distribution of tickets. More tickets available will favour Cork, though I know Limerick have a big following.

Bottom line is more people getting to see the game should be a priority. That stadium wasn't fit hold a crowd when it was fully operational, could be a disaster in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

When are Cork due to start work on the new Pairc Ui Cork? If Limerick were to host again this year and guarantee the next 2 games against the teams would be in the new stadium it could be a runner but realistically it will be down in the death trap in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

The final should be held in Thurles as there is likely to be a 10-15k drop in attendance if played in Cork.

Playing it in Cork could mean a potential €200,000-250,000 being passed on. There would be enough demand to hold 45,000 to 50,000 for the final and you only had to look at the farcical scenes for the Tipp game in 2008 and the Kerry replay in 2009 to know that Pairc Ui Caoimh is unsuitable for a big game in its current state.

I would relish playing it in Cork if the ground was safe though to know what Limerick are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

As in he plays for Adare, or originally from Adare?

Any relation to the great man himself?

He's from Adare and plays for Adare. No relation to the great man, don't know if he was named after him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Why not play the final in Killarney.?
    It has hosted Munster hurling finals in the past no problem.
    Capacity is approx. 44,000.
    And Cork would obviously hold their right to host the next game between both counties.
    Would be a shame to waste such an occasion in front of a greatly reduced attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

washman3 wrote: »
    And Cork would obviously hold their right to host the next game between both counties.
    Would be a shame to waste such an occasion in front of a greatly reduced attendance.

Its always Carnage when hurling matches are played there. Great town alright but the traffic that would be in Newcastle, Abbeyfeale etc would be terrible. The last time Cork played Tipp there in a qualifier it was a disaster anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Someone said to me June 30th, but surely it'll be sooner than that?

Capacity in Cork reduced to 30k, hope I get a ticket.

Looking here http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/ the final is on 13 of July, a month away!:eek:

Browney7 wrote: »
    Its always Carnage when hurling matches are played there. Great town alright but the traffic that would be in Newcastle, Abbeyfeale etc would be terrible. The last time Cork played Tipp there in a qualifier it was a disaster anyway

I remember that alright, only thing is that was a Saturday evening when Tipp played Cork and Adare, NCW and A/feale towns are a disaster every Saturday at this time of year with the traffic to Kerry.
    A bit of traffic management could solve a lot though.

Browney7 wrote: »

Wasnt there also a big music gig on at the same time back then.

I would be in favour of playing it in Killarney to match the demand.

Savage craic for the 2010 munster final back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

washman3 wrote: »

Would prefer Thurles to Killarney tbh, a nightmare to get in/out of on match day. Remember some of those Munster football finals.

And Cork fans would be unbearable if we beat them after they moved it from the Pairc. We wouldn't care if we win, but I just can't see them being willing to move it. Unless they are forced to by the Munster council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

34k is a seriously restricted number, there will be a serious crowd at this match...I do hope it's held somewhere else, Thurles or even Killarney... Leaning in favour of Killarney, great spot !

Limerick travel well, but I'm not sure it'll be as big as last year. For a great chance of winning our first Munster in 17 years, at home, on a beautiful day... was always going to be packed.

Still would expect more than 34k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Kilmallock beat BB tonight by about 9 points, no injuries to county players. Unremarkable match, but first time at a game in NCW, lovely venue.

Whats the spread on this? Think davy might have done us a favour today, clare didnt put there best foot forward today ( did davy devalue the munster championship?), cork supporters wont give us a chance heading down.

My admiration for JBM and pat horgan is a major disappointment, need to develop some hate for these feckers over the next month

Kilmallock beat BB tonight by about 9 points, no injuries to county players. Unremarkable match, but first time at a game in NCW, lovely venue.

Whats the spread on this? Think davy might have done us a favour today, clare didnt put there best foot forward today ( did davy devalue the munster championship?), cork supporters wont give us a chance heading down.

My admiration for JBM and pat horgan is a major disappointment, need to develop some hate for these feckers over the next month

How was Mulcahy tonight for Kilmallock?

Cork are 4/7, Limerick 7/4... the handicap is Cork -2.

very quiet (one eye on the munster final;)) POB was pretty good though scored 4 from play, in fact i think this is the main reason his delivery to forwards is so poor as when he plays for kilmallock he goes for the score or plays a short ball all the time. GOM was pretty quiet in the forwards too.

Would prefer Thurles to Killarney tbh, a nightmare to get in/out of on match day. Remember some of those Munster football finals.

And Cork fans would be unbearable if we beat them after they moved it from the Pairc. We wouldn't care if we win, but I just can't see them being willing to move it. Unless they are forced to by the Munster council.

We all would Fireball, but I don't think there's a hope in hell Cork will travel there for a forth time this year, Waterford x 2 and Clare today. Actually amazed today's game wasn't played in G/Grounds. Anyone know the reason for this.?
    I suggested Killarney as a compromise as I feel a great occasion will be 'lost' by playing in front of a reduced attendance. Normally I would very much look forward to a game in P.U.C as there is always a mighty crack with the Rebel fans, win or lose.
    And remember its not the end of the line for whoever loses the final.

For once i think we have a good chance of winning this. Cork supporters arent going to give us a chance. I think we'll get the better of them at midfield, walsh will win ball but we can take it off him the minute he hits the deck. For once im not worried about wayne mac. Harnedy and Horgan are class and will score but if we can keep them to points i'll be happy.

Downes was good fore NA P at CF again and he has to start there or at least rotate out early and play 80% of the game on the half, a few of the cork backs are still bedding in and i wouldnt be convinved by some of them yet. SON made a few uncharacteristic errors yesterday and McDonnell can be got it im sure.

Even we keep our discipline, take our own chances and give our forwards good ball and not concede goals we can win this one.

Id like to play this in PUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

For once i think we have a good chance of winning this. Cork supporters arent going to give us a chance. I think we'll get the better of them at midfield, walsh will win ball but we can take it off him the minute he hits the deck. For once im not worried about wayne mac. Harnedy and Horgan are class and will score but if we can keep them to points i'll be happy.

Downes was good fore NA P at CF again and he has to start there or at least rotate out early and play 80% of the game on the half, a few of the cork backs are still bedding in and i wouldnt be convinved by some of them yet. SON made a few uncharacteristic errors yesterday and McDonnell can be got it im sure.

Even we keep our discipline, take our own chances and give our forwards good ball and not concede goals we can win this one.

Id like to play this in PUC.

Agree Paddy, but I'm still keeping expectations low. If we even lose with a good performance I'd be alright with that to set us up for a run at a quarter final with no hype. I hope the game is moved to Thurles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Cork are favourites @ 4/7, or a 2 point handicap.

1 thing Limerick can't do is give away cheap frees, then cork are limited enough.

Limerick Senior Hurling Championship
    We're just over halfway through the group stages of the Limerick SHC, making decent progress. Obviously the county hurlers had a decent break between the semi-final and final of Munster, which helped. The Championship will break now until August.

Group 1
    Doon 1-15 Adare 0-10
    Murroe/Boher 1-16 Knockainey 1-07
    Ahane 1-20 Patrickswell 1-19
    ---
    Adare 1-20 Murroe/Boher 1-16
    Patrickswell 1-13 Knockainey 1-06
    Doon 2-13 Ahane 1-10
    ---
    Ahane 1-17 Murroe/Boher 0-15
    Doon 0-21 Patrickswell 3-11
    Adare 3-22 Knockainey 1-14

| Pts | Diff
    Doon | 6 | 15
    Adare | 4 | 10
    Ahane | 4 | 0
    Patrickswell | 2 | 4
    Murroe/Boher | 2 | 0
    Knockainey | 0 | -29

As I expected, Doon are comfortably on top and still have to play Knockainey, which would pretty much send them into the semi-final. Knockainey are struggling... I'm not 100% sure whether it's head-to-head or scoring difference which decides placing, but either way, they look like they're going down. I can't see them beating Doon, and even if they did beat Ahane, they'd be in trouble. But they're just not as good as the other teams in the group really.

Ahane got a narrow win over the Well, and beat Murroe/Boher too, and that could be enough to send them through. You'd expect them to finish on 6 really. The Well have been disappointing, got 2 late goals against Doon (Cian Lynch & Diarmuid Byrnes apparently) to make it a lot closer than deserved, and lost to Ahane. Unless they beat Adare & Murroe/Boher, it looks like they're missing out on the quarters again.

Expecting the top 3 to stay top 3, in the same order, with Adare beating Ahane, and Knockainey to go down.

Group 2
    South Liberties 2-15 Effin 0-08
    Ballybrown 1-20 Granagh/Ballingarry 1-13
    Na Piarsaigh 2-20 Kilmallock 1-11
    ---
    Effin 1-12 Ballybrown 0-07
    Kilmallock 1-21 Granagh/Ballingarry 2-10
    Na Piarsaigh 1-13 South Liberties 0-12
    ---
    Granagh/Ballingarry 1-18 South Liberties 2-13
    Na Piarsaigh 2-17 Effin 2-10
    Kilmallock 0-23 Ballybrown 0-13

| Pts | Diff
    Na Piarsaigh | 6 | 23
    Kilmallock | 4 | 6
    South Liberties | 2 | 7
    Ballybrown | 2 | -11
    Effin | 2 | -12
    Granagh/Ballingarry | 2 | -13

This group has been a lot more unpredictable really. I expect NaP, Kilmallock & Ballybrown to be ahead of the others and make the knockout stages, but Ballybrown have disappointed. Na Piarsaigh's dismantling of Kilmallock in the opening game is by far the most impressive result of the Championship and if they hit that form, they are unstoppable. Weren't as impressive in their other outings, but Downes got another goal at the weekend, and surely has to be centre-forward for Limerick.

Kilmallock have recovered from the early loss, and the big win over Ballybrown should be enough to see them through. They have too much class to be troubled really.

But the last knockout place/relegation spot is well up for grabs. South Liberties did brilliantly to hammer Effin, ran NaP close, before losing to G/B. Barry Nash is in fantastic form for them apparently. After Effin lost to Liberties, I thought they were going to go down, but they came back and beat Ballybrown then and also gave NaP a game. Ballybrown beat Granagh/Ballingarry but their loss to Effin will really hurt them.

The two big games to my eyes are South Liberties vs Ballybrown, and Effin vs Granagh/Ballingarry. Liberties are in with a great chance if they can beat Ballybrown, and might just have the firepower to do so... I wouldn't have thought Ballybrown would be in relegation trouble, but it could easily come down to points scored. Very tight.

In an overall sense, it's hard to see beyond Na Piarsaigh winning it at the moment, but I'm hoping my Doon bet sees them getting to the final at least, although presumably they'd have to beat Kilmallock to do so. Would be a big win.

• Advertisement

Limerick Senior Hurling Championship
    We're just over halfway through the group stages of the Limerick SHC, making decent progress. Obviously the county hurlers had a decent break between the semi-final and final of Munster, which helped. The Championship will break now until August.

Group 1
    Doon 1-15 Adare 0-10
    Murroe/Boher 1-16 Knockainey 1-07
    Ahane 1-20 Patrickswell 1-19
    ---
    Adare 1-20 Murroe/Boher 1-16
    Patrickswell 1-13 Knockainey 1-06
    Doon 2-13 Ahane 1-10
    ---
    Ahane 1-17 Murroe/Boher 0-15
    Doon 0-21 Patrickswell 3-11
    Adare 3-22 Knockainey 1-14

| Pts | Diff
    Doon | 6 | 15
    Adare | 4 | 10
    Ahane | 4 | 0
    Patrickswell | 2 | 4
    Murroe/Boher | 2 | 0
    Knockainey | 0 | -29

As I expected, Doon are comfortably on top and still have to play Knockainey, which would pretty much send them into the semi-final. Knockainey are struggling... I'm not 100% sure whether it's head-to-head or scoring difference which decides placing, but either way, they look like they're going down. I can't see them beating Doon, and even if they did beat Ahane, they'd be in trouble. But they're just not as good as the other teams in the group really.

Ahane got a narrow win over the Well, and beat Murroe/Boher too, and that could be enough to send them through. You'd expect them to finish on 6 really. The Well have been disappointing, got 2 late goals against Doon (Cian Lynch & Diarmuid Byrnes apparently) to make it a lot closer than deserved, and lost to Ahane. Unless they beat Adare & Murroe/Boher, it looks like they're missing out on the quarters again.

Expecting the top 3 to stay top 3, in the same order, with Adare beating Ahane, and Knockainey to go down.

Group 2
    South Liberties 2-15 Effin 0-08
    Ballybrown 1-20 Granagh/Ballingarry 1-13
    Na Piarsaigh 2-20 Kilmallock 1-11
    ---
    Effin 1-12 Ballybrown 0-07
    Kilmallock 1-21 Granagh/Ballingarry 2-10
    Na Piarsaigh 1-13 South Liberties 0-12
    ---
    Granagh/Ballingarry 1-18 South Liberties 2-13
    Na Piarsaigh 2-17 Effin 2-10
    Kilmallock 0-23 Ballybrown 0-13

| Pts | Diff
    Na Piarsaigh | 6 | 23
    Kilmallock | 4 | 6
    South Liberties | 2 | 7
    Ballybrown | 2 | -11
    Effin | 2 | -12
    Granagh/Ballingarry | 0 | -13

This group has been a lot more unpredictable really. I expect NaP, Kilmallock & Ballybrown to be ahead of the others and make the knockout stages, but Ballybrown have disappointed. Na Piarsaigh's dismantling of Kilmallock in the opening game is by far the most impressive result of the Championship and if they hit that form, they are unstoppable. Weren't as impressive in their other outings, but Downes got another goal at the weekend, and surely has to be centre-forward for Limerick.

Kilmallock have recovered from the early loss, and the big win over Ballybrown should be enough to see them through. They have too much class to be troubled really.

But the last knockout place/relegation spot is well up for grabs. South Liberties did brilliantly to hammer Effin, ran NaP close, before losing to G/B. Barry Nash is in fantastic form for them apparently. After Effin lost to Liberties, I thought they were going to go down, but they came back and beat Ballybrown then and also gave NaP a game. Ballybrown beat Granagh/Ballingarry but their loss to Effin will really hurt them.

The two big games to my eyes are South Liberties vs Ballybrown, and Effin vs Granagh/Ballingarry. Liberties are in with a great chance if they can beat Ballybrown, and might just have the firepower to do so... I wouldn't have thought Ballybrown would be in relegation trouble, but it could easily come down to points scored. Very tight.

In an overall sense, it's hard to see beyond Na Piarsaigh winning it at the moment, but I'm hoping my Doon bet sees them getting to the final at least, although presumably they'd have to beat Kilmallock to do so. Would be a big win.

That Group 2 table is all wrong with G/B beating south Liberties.

shockframe wrote: »
    That Group 2 table is all wrong with G/B beating south Liberties.

You're right, edited.

4 teams on 2 points. G/B bottom using points difference. South Liberties' points difference is very reasonably, could keep them safe even if they lose.

Hickey was an inspired choice the last day following the roving inside forward, he marked his man out of the game but also had a big influence himself. If Cork play a traditional 3 man inside forward line then that benefit is gone. I think Condon is perfect for Horgan if Horgan stays inside, Cadogan could trouble Condon for pace. Richie will ate Cronin. It's a tough call on whether to start Hickey in the same position or move him to 6 and start Walsh/King/Dempsey/Carmody to mark Cadogan, with Wayne shifting to 5. I'd also be very tempted to start Ryan for Paudie, but he was super for Kilmallock the weekend according to reports, albeit at midfield. I think the management will stick with the backs. I have faith in Gavin, over the last 5 years he's been our most consistent back, arguably our most consistent player even. Midfield, unchanged obviously. But, I'd have Dodge in the middle of the park also. Browne on Kearney and Jimbob on Walsh will both be super to battles to watch, Dodge in a free role to cover the half back line, drive up the field, and fire over a few long range points would suit him down to the ground. That move also allows Downes at 11. There's been a noticeable shift towards us when he plays at half forward, mostly on the wing, because he wins balls and usually works a free or a score or a pass with possession. It was very apparent in the Wexford league game I thought and again v Tipp. Putting him at 11 he has more of a goal threat. Hannon and Breen/Allis on the wings. Giving the nod to Breen as playing him for 45/50 mins before introducing someone like Allis worked very well last year. Dowling and Mulcahy inside. Dowling may latch onto a high ball although he didn't have Cahalane to contend with in the league game. He'll pick up a loose ball at some stage and score, and he'll nail frees and bury 21s, that's good enough for now. Mulcahy should have plenty space inside to roam around in. Ryan a good impact sub for halfback/midfield, Allis for half forward, Tobin inside. We will need to introduce a few more subs and faster next game I'd imagine.

Quaid
    Hickey Richie Condon
    POB Wayne GOM
    Dodge
    Jimbob Browne
    Hannon Downes Breen
    Dowling Mulcahy

Limerick by 5

I think management will go with the same team with hickey on cadogan and DOG at 11 but pulling deep at times with Downes coming out. Its ok but it allows cork score too easy. I think Downes will start inside and we'll start orthodox with high ball being pumped in after the Nash/mcdonnell meltdown sunday. However cahalane will be at FB and downes will move out after 20 mins.

Id really like to see the 3rd midfielder dropped in behind harnedy and in front of cadogan make cork work for their scores, we'll win midfield just need to get the scores, if we outscore them in goals we'll win the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Stephen Walsh is the only Limerick pacey enough to mark Alan Cadogan. Both Paudie O'Brien and GO'M were v poor against Tipp and one should get the chop.

Stephen Walsh is the only Limerick pacey enough to mark Alan Cadogan. Both Paudie O'Brien and GO'M were v poor against Tipp and one should get the chop.

Is Walsh that fast? Condon has a decent burst of pace on him too but I think Cadogan would burn both of them. Both are good corner backs and could keep him outside but they'd be under pressure if Cadogan is out first winning every ball. King and Carmody might be the quickest but not sure they are up to the defensive duties at this level, yet. Dempsey has a serious turn of pace and is probably more physical than King or Carmody and would probably be the best of both worlds type option.

I expect they'll stick with Hickey but I'd be happy with any of the other four if the management decided to stick them in, they're seeing their form in training and for club and all are decent players so if one is stuck in it's because they're going well.

Hickey was an inspired choice the last day following the roving inside forward, he marked his man out of the game but also had a big influence himself. If Cork play a traditional 3 man inside forward line then that benefit is gone. I think Condon is perfect for Horgan if Horgan stays inside, Cadogan could trouble Condon for pace. Richie will ate Cronin. It's a tough call on whether to start Hickey in the same position or move him to 6 and start Walsh/King/Dempsey/Carmody to mark Cadogan, with Wayne shifting to 5. I'd also be very tempted to start Ryan for Paudie, but he was super for Kilmallock the weekend according to reports, albeit at midfield. I think the management will stick with the backs. I have faith in Gavin, over the last 5 years he's been our most consistent back, arguably our most consistent player even. Midfield, unchanged obviously. But, I'd have Dodge in the middle of the park also. Browne on Kearney and Jimbob on Walsh will both be super to battles to watch, Dodge in a free role to cover the half back line, drive up the field, and fire over a few long range points would suit him down to the ground. That move also allows Downes at 11. There's been a noticeable shift towards us when he plays at half forward, mostly on the wing, because he wins balls and usually works a free or a score or a pass with possession. It was very apparent in the Wexford league game I thought and again v Tipp. Putting him at 11 he has more of a goal threat. Hannon and Breen/Allis on the wings. Giving the nod to Breen as playing him for 45/50 mins before introducing someone like Allis worked very well last year. Dowling and Mulcahy inside. Dowling may latch onto a high ball although he didn't have Cahalane to contend with in the league game. He'll pick up a loose ball at some stage and score, and he'll nail frees and bury 21s, that's good enough for now. Mulcahy should have plenty space inside to roam around in. Ryan a good impact sub for halfback/midfield, Allis for half forward, Tobin inside. We will need to introduce a few more subs and faster next game I'd imagine.

Quaid
    Hickey Richie Condon
    POB Wayne GOM
    Dodge
    Jimbob Browne
    Hannon Downes Breen
    Dowling Mulcahy

Limerick by 5

I'd say Cronin will catch a few balls off Richie, but he won't do much with them (I hope). I just hope he never gets the chance to free himself up like Callinan did, Cork have some deadly forwards around Cronin.

I think Cork will start with a traditional 3, they might bring Horgan/Cronin out at some stage, but they'll start with a 3, and I really really think Hickey should play in the half-back line. Even midfield would be better. I'd have Dempsey on Cadogan, he's the perfect man for the job imo.

TJ's biggest call is, without doubt, the half-back line. They haven't been changed all year, and I think they're actually suffering as a result of a lack of competition. If one of them had been dropped at some stage, they might up their game again. Gavin is a super player, but he hasn't been at his best this season at all... (I'd say Condon has been more consistent over the past 5 years, but Gavin is up there). Same with Paudie, who really isn't a wing-back in a traditional sense... great in a free role, but when he has to mark and challenge a wing-forward, he's not great. Brilliant midfielder though. I could see him struggling against either Lehane or Harnedy. I've said it before, I'd play Tom Ryan there... I'd even consider Dodge in the half-back line, and Hickey too; but I can see him keeping faith, and I think it might be a weakness. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with the rest of your team, I'd probably play Breen too, but I'd have Dodge at half-forward, from puck-outs at least and I'd have Hannon sweeping around midfield. Again, not sure it'll happen. Downes at centre-forward, see what Ellis is really made of.

Slight worry about the mobility of Dowling inside, the service will have to be good. If he gets the ball in his hand, he's lethal. Same with Downes & Mulcahy. If we can drive through the centre and lay the ball off, there are goals to be got.

I don't think Walsh is faster than Dempsey, maybe I'm wrong... Cathal King is super fast as well, and a great man marker, but didn't take his opportunity in the league. I'd have Dempsey on Cadogan.

Lots of hullabaloo over the venue, hopefully the team's preparations are coming along nicely in the meantime.

The handicap with Paddy Power has moved out to Cork -3.

The footballers are up this weekend, I hope to be there. They should beat London... it's a great fixture to get us back on track and hopefully there will be a big improvement, and we can take a scalp in the next round.

And the minors are on next week... huge match against Cork. On in the Gaelic Grounds again, don't know if that's an advantage or not. Cork are coming in cold so it's hard to know what to expect. We did the same last year, and beat a fancied Tipperary side in the last 10 minutes... went on to be Munster champions, and could have gone all the way. This year... that has to be our target. Cork are the one team I am really worried about.

4 changes to the Limerick junior football team to play Cork. In come 3 players who are probably good enough for senior- John Mullane, Paul White & Mike Fitzgibbon, 2 of them played a good few games in the league. Pa Mullins is in too.

More significant is the players who move out- Jamie Lee and Garrett Noonan... it probably means they'll be involved with the seniors on Saturday. Disappointing for Mullane, he was on the bench the last day, and I thought they might use Fitzgibbon too.

Peter Nash was very good the last day too, thought he might make the bench for the seniors, but clearly not. On paper, it's a very decent team, and they did well to beat Tipp, but they wouldn't have been training much and Cork have much more strength in depth. I hope they don't let themselves down anyway. And as Jamie Lee showed, if you perform well here, you can get called up.... big chance for Nash, Fitzgibbon, Mullane, Hartnett, White- maybe even Wayne Cronin, Kevin Brosnan and Jason Mullins, maybe one or two others. A strong St. Pat's & Rathkeale contigent might help with the fluidity of the side.

1. Gary Neville (St Patricks)
    2. Mark Phelan (St Patricks)
    3. Wayne Cronin (St Patricks)
    4. Kevin Brosnan (Monagea)
    5. Tony McCarthy (Kildimo-Pallaskenry)
    6. Pa Mullins (St Patricks)
    7. Paul White (St Marys Sean Finns)
    8. Thomas Butler (Feohanagh-Castlemahon)
    9. Colin Madden (Bruff)
    10. Keith Hartnett (St Marys Sean Finns)
    11. Peter Nash (Kildimo-Pallaskenry)
    12. John Mullane (St Patrick)
    13. Jason Mullins (St Patricks)
    14. Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh-Castlemahon)
    15. Mark O’Sullivan (St Marys Sean Finns)

Subs:
    16. Conor Sheehan (Cappamore)
    17. Andy Murphy (Cappamore)
    18. Brian O’Leary (Knockane)
    19. Eoin O’Donoghue (Cappamore)
    20.Brian Hannigan (Feenagh-Kilmeedy)
    21. Eoin O’Donnell St Marys Sean Finns)
    22. Michael O’Sullivan (Dromcollogher-Broadford)
    23. Micheal Geary (St Patricks)

• Advertisement

And the senior team has 4 changes too:

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffins)
    2. Sean O’Dea (Kilteely-Dromkeen)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St Kierans)
    4. Colm Moran (Monaleen)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastle West)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr Caseys)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. John Galvin (Croom)
    10. Darragh Treacy (St Kierans)
    11. Eoin Hanrahan (St Patricks)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher-Broadford)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    14. Killian Phair (Dromcollogher-Broadford)
    15. Ian Ryan (St Senans)

That's Scanlon, Ranahan, Galvin & Phair in for O'Sullivan, Lucey, Brosnan & Sheehan.

Mixed feelings. I know O'Sullivan made a howler against Tipp, but I reckon he is definitely a better keeper than Scanlon.

Colm Moran is relatively lucky to hold onto his place- Razor, Lorcan O'Dwyer, Lucey or Riordan could have been selected in that backline.

Ranahan was almost certain to come back in, excellent player... think Lucey is the best actual centre-back in the squad though, would have had him too.

No sweeper, really think John Riordan is best employed in that role and we got absolutely wiped out by Tipperary because of the space between our full-back and half-back lines, and the pace at which they attacked. Riordan would be excellent in that role, and also has the pace to counter-attack, along with Corbett.

Galvin was obviously going to come back in, need a big game from him. We also need bigger games from Seanie Buckley and Ian Ryan.

Gearoid Hegarty is very unlucky to miss out after a big impact from the bench the last day, would definitely have had him at wing-forward.

Looks like Boris will play out the field, because we've selected 3 clear inside forwards (maybe Gerry Collins will play a little deeper)... we'll miss him inside, but his direct running could be very useful out the field too.

Phair is a natural scorer, and if he can get good, quick ball from the likes of Boris, Buckley, Ranahan and Corbett, then he is well able to score.

Haven't seen the subs, but presumably Jamie Lee & Garrett Noonan are there after missing out for the juniors... Hegarty, Lucey, Riordan, Razor, O'Sullivan, Neville & Sheehan are no doubt among the subs too. I've said it before and I'll say it again- we'll really miss the likes of O'Brien, the two O'Connors and O'Carroll.

We should be able to win, but I think we'll need to tighten up defensively to compete against the best teams. Need to move the ball quickly like we did in the league.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement