Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Massive game today, need a win. Hon Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

That was a close call. A 1-16 to 1-13 win. Missed the game as I'm out of the country but got the 95FM commentary.
    Hoping Fireball will do a report..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

washman3 wrote: »
    That was a close call. A 1-16 to 1-13 win. Missed the game as I'm out of the country but got the 95FM commentary.

I'd say a fair few handicap coupons went down the toilet with that result. I know mine did :(

KevIRL wrote: »
    I'd say a fair few handicap coupons went down the toilet with that result. I know mine did :(

You obviously didn't see the last game where we lost to Tipp so.??
    London were unlucky to be drawn away in this game as it was one they would almost definitely won in Ruislip.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

607 in attendance today! Says it all really!

• Advertisement

I didn't get to go! Or even hear it on commentary, I was asked last-minute to play in a match to make up numbers, couldn't turn it down, despite being desperately unfit.

Sounded like we made very hard work of it, although I can't understand why Boris was left on the bench... Hegarty again making an impact when he came on.

At least we got through, that was the aim... another home draw would be nice, give it our best shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

607 in attendance today! Says it all really!

surely if attendance's are so low with the footballers the would be better of moving the game to west limerick or one of the football heartlands somewhere

i know its london but that is a slightly embarrising attendance giving the fact so many were willing to travel to watch wining teams a few years back

Goals, goals, goals. I hope we learned from Galway today... if you can score lots of goals, you can do anything. In Downes, Dowling, Mulcahy, Tobin, Hannon, we have players who can score goals... Breen & Wayne Mac have popped up with a few in their time too, and Dodge is some man for a goal at club level.

Driving runs through the centre cause problems for even the best of defences, and Canning & Horgan have both showed good free-takers are still well capable of burying penalties from 20m.

surely if attendance's are so low with the footballers the would be better of moving the game to west limerick or one of the football heartlands somewhere

i know its london but that is a slightly embarrising attendance giving the fact so many were willing to travel to watch wining teams a few years back

Most football fans in the county would agree that Limerick should play all their games in NCW. It's a super venue, great atmosphere, plenty parking and a central venue for the majority of football fans.
    However, the powers that be, in their wisdom decide that games v even London and Kilkenny must be played in G/Grounds. These are the same people that voted FOR a seeding system in Munster without even consulting the players and have a dismal record on most football affairs over the years.
    Seems like they would miss the comfort of that 'glass box' area of the Mackey Stand, where they are fed and watered during games. Have a look at the 'usual suspects' in there the next time you attend a football match.
    I remember our U-21 side playing a cracking Munster championship V Kerry in NCW some years back. It was a great occasion and we pushed them all the way only losing narrowly to a team with the likes of Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan playing.
    Regarding your second point, yes the attendance was embarrassing. But remember that Limerick is the 'bandwagon capital' of Ireland, even ahead of Dublin. Many thousands only come out for 'big' occasions, like the 40,000 that travelled to Croker for the semi-final last year V Clare, when in actual fact we were outnumbered 3 to 1 by Tipp fans for the Munster semi in the Gaelic Grounds just 2 months before.
    Wait and see the mad scramble for Munster final tickets in 3 weeks time..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RollOnD13th

Stupid comment outnumbered by Tipp in that Semi Final, I think the hot day got to you man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Most football fans in the county would agree that Limerick should play all their games in NCW. It's a super venue, great atmosphere, plenty parking and a central venue for the majority of football fans.
    However, the powers that be, in their wisdom decide that games v even London and Kilkenny must be played in G/Grounds. These are the same people that voted FOR a seeding system in Munster without even consulting the players and have a dismal record on most football affairs over the years.
    Seems like they would miss the comfort of that 'glass box' area of the Mackey Stand, where they are fed and watered during games. Have a look at the 'usual suspects' in there the next time you attend a football match.
    I remember our U-21 side playing a cracking Munster championship V Kerry in NCW some years back. It was a great occasion and we pushed them all the way only losing narrowly to a team with the likes of Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan playing.
    Regarding your second point, yes the attendance was embarrassing. But remember that Limerick is the 'bandwagon capital' of Ireland, even ahead of Dublin. Many thousands only come out for 'big' occasions, like the 40,000 that travelled to Croker for the semi-final last year V Clare, when in actual fact we were outnumbered 3 to 1 by Tipp fans for the Munster semi in the Gaelic Grounds just 2 months before.
    Wait and see the mad scramble for Munster final tickets in 3 weeks time..;)

There's people out there who think the CB are actively trying to get rid of football, decisions like that would give creedance to their argument.

Cant agree on the support, i was at that tipp game and it was 50/50 from what i recall, enough to do a decent pitch invasion afterwards anyway. People dont have bottomless pockets as well if there was a game that people were going to miss this was it. Footballers, hurling minors and munster final in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Is the Football Qualifiers Round 2 draw on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Is the Football Qualifiers Round 2 draw on today?

No, only half the qualifiers were on this week, other half next week, imagine the draw is on next Monday morning for Round 2. Limerick due to play again July 5th against losers of Donegal/Antrim, Dublin/Wexford or Sligo.

I don't think we were outnumbered 3 to 1 in the Gaelic Grounds last year, I would say we slightly outnumbered them tbqh. But playing football matches in NCW can't be a bad idea... it's a long oul drive from places like Abbeyfeale, NCW, Athea, etc to the city for a game against London.

Lucky we beat Tipp, wouldn't have fancied Galway/KK in the first game on the back of a Munster loss... while I'd fancy a crack at them later, I'd prefer a few games under the belt first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Where is the best place to find parking around the Gaelic Grounds? Will be coming in from centre centre/Ennis Rd side for the minor game on Thursday.

Where is the best place to find parking around the Gaelic Grounds? Will be coming in from centre centre/Ennis Rd side for the minor game on Thursday.

For the minor game, I can't imagine there'll be a massive crowd...

The best place to park is probably in Dunnes or the shopping complex next to it, but that's on the tunnel side. For the last minor game, a lot of people parked in the Ardhu, which is on the city centre side. I imagine they hugely prefer if people go in for a drink if you park there, but I'm not sure how they police that.

Apart from that, there's lots of estates on the way in from the city centre towards the ground, where people do park.

Niall Moran and Mike Fitz are back training with the Limerick panel, apparently.

Doubt either are viable starting options, but are they better bench options than some of the others. Tommy Quaid and Mikey Ryan are super club hurlers, but have never really done it at county level yet... Allis & Breen are decent options, but Moran & Fitz are both ball-winners at least. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Munster and Leinster panels for Friday nights Ken McGrath challenge match in Waterford, good few of ye're lads playing if you fancy a spin down this way

ctfx.jpg

Tickets can be got here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Niall Moran and Mike Fitz are back training with the Limerick panel, apparently.

Doubt either are viable starting options, but are they better bench options than some of the others. Tommy Quaid and Mikey Ryan are super club hurlers, but have never really done it at county level yet... Allis & Breen are decent options, but Moran & Fitz are both ball-winners at least. We'll see how it goes.

Even from a training perspective to have a couple of physical forwards there is a help, could do with our half back line getting a work out in training under the high ball, they were unimpressive in that aspect v tipp and harnedy, walsh, cooper will test us in the air.

Id really like to see a few tweeks for the cork game regardless, its not a knock out game lets try a couple of different people and learn abit before the next round. Only really used 16 players involved the last day.

Minors on the radio direct or that streaming thing again?

Even from a training perspective to have a couple of physical forwards there is a help, could do with our half back line getting a work out in training under the high ball, they were unimpressive in that aspect v tipp and harnedy, walsh, cooper will test us in the air.

Id really like to see a few tweeks for the cork game regardless, its not a knock out game lets try a couple of different people and learn abit before the next round. Only really used 16 players involved the last day.

That's very true, we'll really be up against it in the aerial battle against Cork.

A lack of change cost us last year, I hope TJ doesn't fall into the same trap of being overly loyal/too rigid.

Tom Ryan to half-back, Downes to centre-forward and getting Hannon on the ball facing forward as much as possible are the key tweaks imo.

EDIT- Oh, and I don't know about the minor... I hope it's on the radio direct, because I might not be able to get there for half 7 :/

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain Liam Ahearn of 95FM said it was live on radio.

Stupid comment outnumbered by Tipp in that Semi Final, I think the hot day got to you man!!!

Firstly, welcome to Boards.ie and especially the Limerick GAA forum.
    Actively involved for many years in ticket distribution with my club for inter-county matches and that was one of the lowest number of ticket requests we have ever had, especially considering it was a home game for us. Often had treble the requests for a first round game V Waterford in Thurles.
    Ironically, we even contributed to the big Tipp attendance as some of our tickets went to a club 'across the border' to a club who were struggling to get decent stand tickets. We would always try to return the least amount of unsold tickets as possible in the hope that our allocation would remain high should we reach a final. May sound silly but its a policy that actually makes sense.
    Also remember that Tipp were on a high last year and were hailed as genuine A.I. contenders with the arrival of E.O'Shea as manager, whereas we failed miserably to Dublin in the 1B playoff.
    So I stand by my comment that we were well outnumbered by Tipp fans, so it wasn't just the heat that got to me..;)

Looking forward to some constructive posts from you before the 13th...!!

Fireball07 wrote: »

If Fitz could only regain the form he had some years back for the seniors.
    He did have a decent game for the I/mediates in Thurles, has great strength and good ball carrier.
    I could never understand why Noel Hickey didn't get a straight red for his 'tackle' on him in the A.I. final.

If Fitz could only regain the form he had some years back for the seniors.
    He did have a decent game for the I/mediates in Thurles, has great strength and good ball carrier.
    I could never understand why Noel Hickey didn't get a straight red for his 'tackle' on him in the A.I. final.

He's been doing well for his club recently, seems to have got back on track there. His physicality and work rate were essential to us getting to that All-Ireland in 2007, got a crucial goal against Tipp and popped up with points consistently after that.

He isn't as naturally talented a forward as some of the others on the panel, but he does have a knack of popping up with scores and is an animal of a man.

I'd just worry that his fitness level mightn't be up to the required standard for intercounty, club isn't the same, and he's been gone from intercounty for a long time. The game is even quicker now, and half-forwards have to do a huge amount of work... but as an impact sub, he could be a genuine option, even around the edge of the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

On the radio they are saying that if the report shows that pairc ui chaoimh can hold below 36 thousand then the match will be moved.

Venue should be announced tonight, so tickets may be on sale in tomorrow morning??

Anyone have an idea what terrace would be the Limerick terrace in pairc ui chaoimh!?

Anyone have an idea what terrace would be the Limerick terrace in pairc ui chaoimh!?

Fairly certain it would be the City End.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

City end. Cork will be in the Blackrock end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RollOnD13th

Washman I tell u now we were not outnumbered at all. You probably think the same about Thurles this year when we outnumbered Tipp again? Are u sure you understand that Limerick wear Green? Baffled as to how you think that especally when a few more have also said Tipp did not outnumber Limerick.

Anyway it is but a minor thing. Speaking of which cracking game in store Thursday night in the Gaelic Grounds lets hope the evening is fine.

Not on the radio but will be live commentary will be online

• Advertisement

Pandiani wrote: »
    Not on the radio but will be live commentary will be online

Pity it's not on TV tbh, should be a very good game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement