Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

32,168 down in Cork is the official capacity & location for this year's Munster final.

But, in more pressing news, the minor team for Thursday has been named:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    5. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    6. Ronan Lynch (Vice-Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    8. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown)
    17. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen)
    18. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    19. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    20. Edward Doyle (Monaleen)
    21. Eoghan Costelloe (Adare)
    22. Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell)
    23. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
    24. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)

4 personnel changes from the victory over Tipp, and a couple of positional ones too.

Paddy O'Loughlin of Kilmallock is in at full-back for Darragh Fanning, who was involved with the panel last year. Paddy is a brother of Mark & Philip as far as I know. Very highly-rated young player.

Thomas Grimes of Na Piarsaigh starts in midfield, Cian O'Brien is injured, I think. Our midfield was one of our weaker areas against Tipp, not surprised there's a change. Colin Ryan of Pallasgreen, last year's goalkeeper, is named out here too after playing brilliantly at corner-forward the last day. He was a brilliant ball-winner the last day, so might be a loss to the forward line, Grimes is again very highly-rated.

The other changes are the other midfielder Robbie Hanley is also out, to accommodate that move, with Conor Fitzgerald from Claughaun named inside. He came on early the last day and did very well, no surprise to see him.

And Ed Doyle, who was on the panel last year, didn't have a great day at all against Tipp, was replaced early. He is out and Peter Casey of Na Piarsaigh is in. I think he's Michael Casey's brother (not sure about that), but he's been racking up huge scores for Na Piarsaigh's minors and U-21s, no surprise to see him involved, think he was injured the last day.

A very strong team once again... bit surprised that Shane O'Connell, Barry Murphy & Dylan Dawson aren't on the bench, not sure if there are injuries but would have thought they would be included. Dawson has been racking up huge scores for Blackrock, did so in the last round of club fixtures, and was on the bench the last day; while Shane O'Connell came on the last day and did reasonably well.

Cork will be a tough test, but that's a team that is well able to perform the task. Half-back and half-forward lines look very strong in particular. Let's hope they do it.

Looking forward to tomorrow night, should be an excellent game. I know everyone seems to be tipping Limerick, 8/15 with the bookies, but Cork are a good side and we can't under-estimate them.

When these sides played at U-16 level, we beat them 0-12 to 0-11 after extra-time. 2 years is a long time ago, especially at an age where players can develop so quickly and there will no doubt be changes to the panels... but tactically, teams are much more aware at minor level than the younger ages. But still... it shows how close the two sides were then, I wouldn't expect us to be far ahead tomorrow. In comparison, we beat Galway 3-20 to 0-08 at that level, and Clare 5-15 to 0-05 at U-17 level so it really does show that these 2 teams are evenly matched.

I do worry slightly about moving Colin Ryan from corner-forward to midfield, he won so much clean ball inside the last day, it was a huge advantage. We seemed to have the plan of the two strong ball-winners, Morrissey and Ryan, in the corners and target them, and then try to bring others into play running from deep. Now, we've moved Morrissey to full-forward and Ryan out the field, while bringing in Casey who is small, light & quick.

The midfield definitely needed a boost, and Ryan & Grimes will no doubt improve that area, but I'm just wondering whether it will leave us short inside. Casey is a different type of player completely- unbelievably talented but more in the Graeme Mulcahy mould; he's a lot smaller, he's super fast, but if he gets the ball in his hand and finds space, he's lethal. Fitzgerald did well from the bench the last day and can take a score... Morrissey is a big man but struggled to get clean shots away the last day, he is able to get goals though and is a good option at full-forward.

I just wonder would they have been better moving Cian Lynch to midfield, and leaving Ryan inside... Lynch is likely to roam around anyway, and he's the main man for sure. If Cork can handle him, they'll have a big advantage, but he can win ball, has pace, strength, can score on the run, can pick a pass... he has it all really. And with Nash beside him, along with Flanagan, who's a super playmaker... that's a very strong line.

We did have a few defensive problems the last day, we definitely don't want our full-back line isolated... they sweep up nicely, but like any back, they don't want to be faced with a forward one-on-one. Paddy O'Loughlin is a fine young player and will hopefully just bring a bit more security to that line. Finn is a class hurler, very composed.

Half-back line is very strong on paper but Cork do have some lively forwards, and they'll have to be sharp. Ronan Lynch had 1 or 2 dodgy moments the last day, he needs to command the centre. It's hard to know what is his best position, it's great to have someone so talented. La Touche Cosgrave beside him is a very classy player aswell, and we need him to have a big game.

We do have a very good team, I'm sure this side will produce plenty of players for the senior team either way, but it would be nice to win. Cork are definitely underrated in some quarters, it's going to be very very tight, wouldn't be surprised if it goes to extra-time. Hopefully the experience of last year will help us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Quick question. Are Abbey Sarsfield's club in the city still in existence.

Quick question. Are Abbey Sarsfield's club in the city still in existence.

No, I think they disbanded a couple of years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is there Gaa clubs in Moyross Ballynanty and Weston Southill regen areas

• Advertisement

sasta le wrote: »
    Is there Gaa clubs in Moyross Ballynanty and Weston Southill regen areas

Ballinacurra/Old Christians would cover some of those areas, but both are struggling to put out teams in recent years.

Soccer would be very strong in those areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Limerick 0-11 Cork 1-8 half time in minor game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick win.:) 0-23 to 2-15
    Always knew this was going to be very difficult. There is no such thing as a bad Cork team at any level.
    Liam Ahern stated on 95FM that this win means that Limerick are now entitled to more Munster final tickets than Cork. How ironic.!! I hope its true.

Great win for the lads, had to dig deep, some nervy moments towards the end, but they pulled through.

It was tit-for-tat in the first half, up until Cork got their goal. Great catch by their full-forward and was always going to be a goal after that... our backline looked vulnerable when Cork ran at them, but we managed to get it level by half-time.

We really hit the ground running in the 2nd half, we knocked over some great scores- Tom Morrissey, Cian Lynch, Colin Ryan & Seamus Flanagan all stepping up. Everything Morrissey touched seemed to be turning to gold, he finished up with 5 or 6 from play, some absolutely beautiful scores.

We built up a 5-point lead and we pretty much held it right till the end, we were easily the better team in the 2nd half, our backs had them under some amount of pressure and if we had got a goal, it would have killed the game.

As it was Cork stayed in touch; Dayne Lee, Shane Kingston and Shane Hayes were causing us problems. Lee, in particular, seemed to be picking up loads of loose ball between our full-back and half-back lines, Ronan Lynch was nowhere to be seen- maybe it was tactics that he didn't follow the runner, but somebody needed to.

The work rate of our half-forward line was sensational though; Ryan, Lynch & Flanagan were often seen deep in the backline picking up ball and bringing it clear. Barry Nash was playing very deep throughout, in our own backline for most of the game... while he did well there, we did miss his scoring threat.

Colin Ryan's ball-winning, Morrissey's scoring ability & Flanagan's work rate were real highlights, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave put in a superb shift as well, he was the best of our backline imo.

They did expose us by running at us, and got the goal at the end to make it very nervy... we made two saves from frees at the end, and saved a penalty so it was close. Cork are a very good side, but I just thought the attacking fluidity we showed when we hit full flow at the start of the 2nd half was just phenomenal and that was the difference between the sides. Still plenty to work on... I'm less convinced by Ronan Lynch as a centre-back now, he does some great things but Lee caused him problems. Maybe he'd be better on the wing... hard to say. Cian Lynch still tries the spectacular a bit too much. And sometimes our touch let us down.

I thought Ed Doyle & Robbie Hanley were much better than the last day when they came on, great to see.

It's a fantastic win over a very good Cork side, on to another Munster final, and hopefully we can go one better this year.

Oh, and an additional note... I arrived quite late because my brother had training back at home, but there was a lengthy delay for 2 injuries to Cork players in the first half.

Apparently one looked very very serious, and I hope he's okay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Would Na Piarsaigh cover Moyross ballnanty

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

If anyone can shed more light on this please do. My memory is not great so theres probably holes in this but.....

Locals in Moyross tried setting up a club in the early 90's, there was huge interest in the Football side of it as most lads played soccer and had boots and could kick a ball :)
    They played 2 challenge matches (v St Kierans was one, maybe St Pats the other?) won one and narrowly lost the other, they had a pitch and goals sorted, railings around it and used the soccer pitch next doors container for changing.

What happened next is a mystery and I don't really know tbh but I have been hearing stories for years throughout the city and county of certain clubs not wanting to go out there for games and objecting to the new club.

Moyross at the time had a population 6/7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good win for the minors, and close enough result to keep them honest and a nice lead in to the 13th. Have said all along their our best chance of an all ireland.

Im becoming dangerously optimistic about the seniors, not overly worried about the cork result, i think we'll win but even a loss will identify mistakes and allow us improve, think we'll go very close to the AI. Would like to avoid that physical galway side. lots of teams within a score of each other, clare are top but its not easy go back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Good win for the minors, and close enough result to keep them honest and a nice lead in to the 13th. Have said all along their our best chance of an all ireland.

Im becoming dangerously optimistic about the seniors, not overly worried about the cork result, i think we'll win but even a loss will identify mistakes and allow us improve, think we'll go very close to the AI. Would like to avoid that physical galway side. lots of teams within a score of each other, clare are top but its not easy go back to back.

Didn't get to see the game last night or hear it unfortunately. Sounds like Lynch had a bit of difficulty at 6, maybe he had been told to hold the middle and not track runners or something though, last time I saw him there for the Na P 21s he was sweeping up ball all around the back division, especially between the half back and full back lines. Andrew LTC had a great game by all accounts, anything to be said for shifting him to 6 and releasing Lynch to midfield or half forward? Who might come in at wing back?

Also cautiously optimistic about the seniors. I think there can be a big improvement made with a couple of changes to the last starting line up that will give us a stronger starting 15 and a few more options from the bench. Worry about the form of our wing backs and whether Hickey is best utilised at corner back -he was so successful the last day because he was following an inside forward playing deep so had an impact out the field. Really want to see Downes at centre forward and Dodge back deeper in midfield could have a big impact. Using the likes of Ryan Breen and Allis of the bench a bit earlier might be a help too.

Had very low expectations for the last game and didn't expect much from the season given the way the early part of the year had gone. Still wary about how good we are, the players are there but this game will show us whether we are contenders with the top 5 or 6 teams or whether the opening round was a once off. Somehow I think we'll be in the mix and make an AI semi one way or the other.

Didn't get to see the game last night or hear it unfortunately. Sounds like Lynch had a bit of difficulty at 6, maybe he had been told to hold the middle and not track runners or something though, last time I saw him there for the Na P 21s he was sweeping up ball all around the back division, especially between the half back and full back lines. Andrew LTC had a great game by all accounts, anything to be said for shifting him to 6 and releasing Lynch to midfield or half forward? Who might come in at wing back

Hard to know with regard to Lynch, he wasn't outstanding against Tipp either. But last year, he really shored up the back division when he went back there... I think ATLC had been there before?

I definitely think Le Touche Cosgrave is more suited to the wing, he was fantastic, cleaned his man completely. In fact, I would have moved him over to the other side to watch Kingston who was causing lots of problems.

Lynch maybe lacks a bit of pace when people get in behind him, but he does read the game very well, and did a lot of good stuff. I don't think Lee for Cork was playing as a traditional centre-forward, he always seemed to be in behind, and he scored 1-3 from play as a result. I'd probably stick with Ronan Lynch at 6 for now tbh.

But considering the 3 standout players- Ronan & Cian Lynch and Barry Nash weren't at their best and we still won bodes well. It is an all-round good team. Tbh I'd question the tactical positioning of Nash, he worked really hard but is surely better in a position where he can score. Cian Lynch caught some great ball, and scored a nice point, but can do more.

I think Seamus Flanagan is only 16... he was fantastic. Worked so hard, popped up with 2 vital scores. Great to see a player from a smaller club do so well.

Supervalu/centra still looking for their tickets, will be late in the week id say before anyone has a ticket in the hand.

Footballers against antrim, they'd be happy with that, though antrim prob think the same thing, is that a home draw or TBD.

Supervalu/centra still looking for their tickets, will be late in the week id say before anyone has a ticket in the hand.

Footballers against antrim, they'd be happy with that, though antrim prob think the same thing, is that a home draw or TBD.

Did the Munster Council say they're not getting any? Our club is waiting to make sure of it's allocation, before deciding how to distribute them.

As good a draw as could have been hoped for for the footballers. Antrim are decent, but beatable. If we play to our potential, we can do it, but if we play like we did in the 2 previous games, we'll lose.

Not sure, but it looks like we're at home.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Did the Munster Council say they're not getting any? Our club is waiting to make sure of it's allocation, before deciding how to distribute them.

As good a draw as could have been hoped for for the footballers. Antrim are decent, but beatable. If we play to our potential, we can do it, but if we play like we did in the 2 previous games, we'll lose.

Not sure, but it looks like we're at home.

They did, but supervalu have a contract and its gone to croke park now, so it could take a while to resolve.

They did, but supervalu have a contract and its gone to croke park now, so it could take a while to resolve.

Shít, that could took a while to resolve. Bit of a disaster.

Saw that the Cork facebook page put up a statement asking people to stop abusing them over the lack of tickets :/

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Do you know what the percentage of tickets they should be receiving is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

is niall moran back in the panel.

flutered wrote: »

He's training with them. Not officially back on the panel yet, I don't think.

But I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him togging out on the 13th.

Do you know what the percentage of tickets they should be receiving is?

Havent a bulls, not sure anyone does

Havent a bulls, not sure anyone does

The whole thing is a mess now. The Munster Council should have stood up to Cork and promised them some high earning games once they get their new stadium built. Limerick could have given them an "i owe you" in writing that the next Munster Final between the counties would be in Cork's new stadium.

I assume you have it from a good source that this Centra/SuperValu issue has gone to Croke Park?

The 3 dual players starting for cork, has to be a good thing for us, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

The 3 dual players starting for cork, has to be a good thing for us, right?

You'd have to think so. Not sure it will impact on them much though, they were arguable corks 3 best players last day out. I still think whoever we have marking them will limit them more than their opposite numbers for Clare did.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

flutered wrote: »

TJ confirmed this morning that he is.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/niall-moran-out-of-retirement-and-in-limerick-s-munster-final-plans-1-6155985

Dempsey & Allis both receiving treatment according to that article, and Mike Fitz has a hamstring injury.

Despite some sections of the media saying that he's in line for a start against Cork, nothing in those quotes from TJ suggests to me that he will be. A bench option, definitely.

He does offer something a bit different... on his day, he's superb in the air. Doesn't have the mobility he once had, but he's strong and can hit points from distance off either side. When he has an off-day... well, he can be very poor when he has a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tickets looking very scarce. My club got 55

• Advertisement

Tickets looking very scarce. My club got 55

Senior, intermediate or junior club?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement