Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

Limerick seem to be working hard but getting nowhere. Wide after wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Limerick hurling selector TJ Ryan insists there is harmony in the Treaty camp under new manager Donal O'Grady.

The Limerick hurling situation attracted attention on a national scale last year following a much-publicised player revolt under manager Justin McCarthy.

O'Grady - who smoothed things over following a similar situation in Cork in 2003, leading the Leesiders to an All-Ireland title - has put the rebuilding process in place, with Limerick currently sitting atop Division 2 of the Allianz National League with a 100 per cent record, and on course for the league decider and a shot at a return to the top flight.

Ryan, a member of O'Grady's backroom team and a great hurler of Limerick's recent past, is satisfied with the bridge-building of recent months - but admits there is plenty of work still to be done.

He told DCUfm's Action Replay show on Thursday evening, "From the position we're in, people in Limerick are not talking about winning All-Ireland titles. I suppose expectation is growing, considering where we were last year, because Donal is high profile and people are expecting things to improve.

"Given what happened last year, it was a difficult start, it was difficult to merge two panels, but he's done that and we've been plodding away in Division 2. Both sets of players gelled very well, there's been no animosity whatsoever so from that point of view we've had no issues.

"We've had four games so far and we've won the four of them so [playing in Division 2] has been good for building a bit of morale. At the start of the year we would have been behind the teams in the top flight, so maybe it suited us."

Limerick put their 100 per cent record on the line when they take on Carlow at Dr Cullen Park on Sunday.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=144967

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It takes a Rebel to sort them out - we have a bit of experience in that department!
    Good to see Limerick playing AND winning hurling matches again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It takes a Rebel to sort them out - we have a bit of experience in that department!
    Good to see Limerick playing AND winning hurling matches again.

And it took a Rebel to nearly destroy us ha :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Browney7 wrote: »
    And it took a Rebel to nearly destroy us ha :D

:D - Rebels Here, Rebels There, Rebels EveryFúckinWhere, And We Love You, We Love you, We D0 - :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The division 2 game against Kerry is obviously not seen to be important enough by Limerick 95 for them to cover it :rolleyes::mad:

Very disappointed in them.

at one stage it was Lim 0-08 V 1-05 Kerry

FT Lim 1-24 V 1-08 Kerry

Very good win and scoreline for Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Divison 2 final guaranteed for the hurlers. Job done.

Any update on the football v Westmeath? The online RTE updates are a jokeshop.

Edit: Limerick 0-14 Westmeath 0-12

at one stage it was Lim 0-08 V 1-05 Kerry

FT Lim 1-24 V 1-08 Kerry

Very good win and scoreline for Limerick

It's okay! At the risk of sounding like an arrogant pr1ck I was hoping for a few more goals but I can't complain about that scoreline!

jordainius wrote: »
    It's okay! At the risk of sounding like an arrogant pr1ck I was hoping for a few more goals but I can't complain about that scoreline!

ya arrogant príck ya;)

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Edit: Limerick 0-14 Westmeath 0-12
    Well done RTE Radio. Reported the result in reverse. :rolleyes:

ya arrogant príck ya;)
    :(

Probably confused because of Westmeath finishing with 12 men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

RTE were actually right on this occasion:eek:
    Final score was Limerick 0-12 Westmeath 0-14 . V. disappointing as relegation beckons now. Can't see this being any good for the morale for the championship.

Ref was dire, and let Westmeath foul to their hearts content in the first half of the match.

panda100 wrote: »
    RTE were actually right on this occasion:eek:
    Final score was Limerick 0-12 Westmeath 0-14 . V. disappointing as relegation beckons now. Can't see this being any good for the morale for the championship.

Ref was dire, and let Westmeath foul to their hearts content in the first half of the match.
    :confused: eh? RTE Radio reported the scoreline as being Limerick 0-14 Westmeath 0-12. I then checked their website and the result was the other way round.

They probably corrected themselves in later bulletins but this was on Sunday Sport in the immediate aftermath of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

:confused: eh? RTE Radio reported the scoreline as being Limerick 0-14 Westmeath 0-12. I then checked their website and the result was the other way round.

They probably corrected themselves in later bulletins but this was on Sunday Sport in the immediate aftermath of the game.

Doh.... totally read your previous post wrong. Sorry :o Just pissed we might be heading back to Division 4!

Up against it to stay up now. Great opportunity missed to progress this team further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

do we stay up or not?

same points difference as tipp but we have scored more, but they beat us in head to head

also wtf were cavan doing letting tipp score 5 points in a row near the end and we let wexford get some late scores too

if those late scores in both games mean we lost out because they go to head to head result in the event of same points difference rather than going to who has scored more, we really are the unluckiest dumbest team around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Limerick are relegated due to losing to Tipp,it goes on head to head.

As in 2009, 3 wins out of 7 not enough to remain in Division 3!

Tough division- for example, the defeat to Westmeath last weekend has quite an impact- a victory over Westmeath and Limerick would have been involved in a 4 way tie for the 2 promotion spots! The difference between promotion and relegation is very slim.

Bad start to the year. That's a step backwards. I had hopes for them to go up. Relegation is the worst possible thing.

• Advertisement

hurlers won by four goals in antrim

young hannon and downes looking good

can't wait to see how we get on against counties of better standard

oh and i just see on rte that the league final is scheduled for ennis, so the team that tops the league and wins every game is rewarded by getting an away tie in the final......what a f**king farce of a decision, only in the gaa would this happen, jokers

They agreed to toss in fairness though but Thurles was surely the better option.

Browney7 wrote: »
    They agreed to toss in fairness though but Thurles was surely the better option.

i don't agree with that system, it's archaic, let's toss a coin to see where the game is played-jesus, how about we reward the team that finished on top by giving them a home draw in the final or at the worst just stick it in a neutral venue like thurles as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Absolutely- What is the point of this league system anyway. Play 7 games win them all by an average of 10 points to top the league, then have to go to your nearest rivals backyard to play them to get promoted.

Its like Manu having to go to chelsea the last day of the season to decide who wins the league even though they are 8 points clear in the table.

GAA really are clueless.

donfers wrote: »
    i don't agree with that system, it's archaic, let's toss a coin to see where the game is played-jesus, how about we reward the team that finished on top by giving them a home draw in the final or at the worst just stick it in a neutral venue like thurles as you say

Agreed. If Limerick won the toss - home match, If Clare won the toss - neutral venue. Topping the league HAS to have some advantage, it's not rocket science really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

donfers wrote: »
    oh and i just see on rte that the league final is scheduled for ennis, so the team that tops the league and wins every game is rewarded by getting an away tie in the final......what a f**king farce of a decision, only in the gaa would this happen, jokers

KK toped division 1 and have to play Dublin in Croker, no complaints from them.

The GAA are not to blame here it was the Limerick and Clare county boards who proposed tossing for home advantage. Neither wanted to play in an empty Semple Stadium apparently.

Besides if Limerick are not good enough to beat Clare (and they are IMO) whats the point in being in Division 1.

The GAA are not to blame here it was the Limerick and Clare county boards who proposed tossing for home advantage. Neither wanted to play in an empty Semple Stadium apparently.

Besides if Limerick are not good enough to beat Clare (and they are IMO) whats the point in being in Division 1.

I see your point but to be fair I would imagine kk have played more 'big' games in croker than their own home ground. They play in croke Park more than Dublin do.

It was of course Limericks county board fault in the first place. Ennis will certainly be much better for atmosphere given the proposed attendance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can understand Limerick people's annoyance of having to travel to Ennis after winning all their games, tossing of a coin shouldn't be determining factor of where the game would be played but thems the rules, to be honest, I don't think Clare would have been too put out if they match was to be played in the Gaelic Grounds, after all it would be closer to a lot of their homes than Cusack Park.

I'd like to think that if the final was on in the Gaelic Grounds that it could have been setup as a Sporting Festival in Limerick seeing as the Munster match is on at 1 that day, personally it suits me great, into Thomond for the Munster match, back home for 4, head up town for the league final, get collected by Mrs. Clareman and head to a birthday party.

• Advertisement

In before the Dubs start preaching that Croker is a neutral venue :D

For the record. Cusack park is not an easy spot to go to to get a result but sure we beat them in the first game there so hopefully we can go and win there again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement