Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Brosnan on for Hegarty, on a yellow. Limerick wasted a decent chance there a minute go.

But Ian Ryan has won a '45, chance for Scanlon to level it.

Boris took the '45, and he dropped it under the short. Sligo go down the other end, and get a free, which Marren kicks wide from distance.

Only 1 point scored in the 2nd half, apparently the conditions are really really bad up there.

John Mullane on for Danny Neville; and he's won a free.

Which Ian Ryan has kicked, our first score of the 2nd half for Limerick. 7 points apiece.

Stephen Coen on for Sligo, looking sharp. Won them the game last week from the bench, and he's kicked a point to put Sligo 1 up again.

Soft free in front of goal for Sligo, which Marren converted to put them 2 points up, but Collins replied excellently after good work for Tracey.

A point between them, not long to go, scores hard to come by.

• Advertisement

Kilcullen kicks a point to put Sligo 2 up.

Limerick need scores quickly!

Brosnan points after good work from Browne, a point in it. Can we pull it back level again?

Boris turns his man, taken out, chance to level with the free!

Boris steps up himself, slots it over with his left foot. All-square.

3 minutes to go, can we push on and win it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

11 10 to Sligo. Seems an exciting if not a great game. The one Limerick supporter there is making some great noise!

Coen steps up again to slot over a point- Sligo back in front.

And a big goal chance missed for Limerick, and Sligo counter! Shít.

• Advertisement

Sounded like we had a massive goal chance there! Come on lads!

3 mins of additional time, Corbett puts one wide. Need to win the clean possession.

Jesus 16 wides to Sligo compared to our 3 wides.

Sounds like we are leaving a lot of scores out there

Wrong shot option for Limerick, and a free out. A point down- minute to go.

And Marren kicks an awful, awful wide. One last chance??????

Shane McManus kicks Sligo 2 points ahead, that's that.

We're out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Had a big bet on Sligo. Last time I'll be betting on them, seems like Limk could easily have won that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

From an exiled Sligoman, thanks for the commentary Fireball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Feck

Will be our only loss of the weekend

(Duignan is insufferable, wexford brutal wides)

From an exiled Sligoman, thanks for the commentary Fireball :)

And good luck in the next round, be tough against Cork or Galway/Mayo; but you never know, on your day.

You might get away with a jab like that with the referee 50m way, done sneakily on the blindside of the linesman/umpires. It's one of those that can be done sneakily, and is done a bit.

But if the ref sees it, it's a blatant red card, and Bugler did it in the plain vision of everyone with the ref very near. So so stupid.

• Advertisement

So the day is finally upon us. Living in Dublin I do miss a lot of the buildup in the county on the radio and in the papers but every article on Limerick hurling over the past week in all the papers has been read. Homework done.

Trips to Cork have been rare and my last visit ended in an agonising defeat to Cork in a Munster football final. A game we should have won.

Looking through the team I'm quietly confident. Our defence is very strong but was vulnerable to direct running the last day. Hopefully they've worked in this. Without a doubt this is the best forward unit we've had in donkeys years. Hannon has all the skills in the world, Dowling has ice in the veins, Downes can be unmarkable on his day and if Mulcahy can use his explosive step he can be a nightmare to handle. Now Its time to deliver. It's Now or never. Its the Munster final.

Luimneach abú.

Moderate hangover

Breakfast eaten, heading out to colect ticket shortly

Cork have been saying they'll win all week but theres no real confidence behind it, they've faith in JBM but not the team and i think we'll win this today barring cork discovering a goal scoring touch.

Not too much to say after the senior game. TJ again too slow to make changes. GO'M not his finest game. Feared the worst after Dowling missed the early frees.

Felt luck deserted us a fair bit and some decisions made by Brian Gavin were strange to say the least. Cork seemed to get frees and Limerick didn't when the shoe was on the other foot.

Minor management would want to have a long look at themselves. Go into an 8 point lead 15 on 15 and then deploy a sweeper and get caught instead of going on to win the game by going 10, 12 points up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Disappointing loss, but not gutting. We've a very winnable quarter final game and some obvious problems to solve. The areas in which we lost the game today were foreseeable, questionable/doubtful whether those problems can be fixed in time for the next game(or semi) though.

I highlighted three worries at the back before the game. Hickey as a traditional corner back and our two wing backs. While Hickey was super, aside from the dispossession that led to the goal at the end, he'll be hurting over that but on balance had a good game, the concerns over our wing backs came back to haunt us. Paudie as a wing back is a square peg in a round hole, a super player but not a wing back, I called that last year, he's now a liability. Gavin's form is very worrying, two bad games in a row now which I've never seen from him in championship. By the time we switched hickey to wing for Paudie and then took off Gavin it was too late. Tom Ryan had a broken thumb, if he was fit he should have come on at half time, may be ready in time for the next game, if so I'd start him. Big calls to make next game, those two wings can't start together again, either of them on their own now is even a risk. The cleaning those two got was probably the losing of the game today.

Up front all of our forwards had the beating of their men in the first 20 minutes but there was very little connection in their play, no support play like you'd see from the likes of Clare, Cork, or Tipp. At 11 Dodge is another square peg in a round hole and we have to make a hard call on him now. Either start him nominally at half forward and have him playing deep in midfield, or drop him. He does some good things but some of the wides are shocking and he went missing long before the end. Management will persist with him though. Downes should be centre forward, he didn't see a ball at corner forward for most of the match and wing doesn't get enough out of him -atrocious wide at the end though. Another example of lack of support play/patterns was the puck outs, not enough variation. Walsh moved over in front of Breen for the puck outs when Breen was cleaning up yet we didn't hit the other wing or find a puck out to midfield. Very frustrating.

The sideline were also too slow to make changes and by 60 minutes when the game was slipping away we should have rolled the dice with the subs we had. Moran and Allis should have been thrown in, we had nothing to lose.

It's probably too late to vary our game too much but I still think the players we have available lend themselves to playing a two man full forward line. Unless we want to chance starting Moran again I don't think we have strong enough full forwards to justify a three man inside line (I see Downes as a centre forward because we are unable to get ball to him at full or corner) whereas on the other hand we have a handful of half forward/midfield type players.

How much we can improve for the next game I don't know. I think we'll be good enough to win. Realistically though, though the players might be there, we are not sophisticated enough to be progressing to an AI final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Browney7 wrote: »
    Not too much to say after the senior game. TJ again too slow to make changes. GO'M not his finest game. Feared the worst after Dowling missed the early frees.

Felt luck deserted us a fair bit and some decisions made by Brian Gavin were strange to say the least. Cork seemed to get frees and Limerick didn't when the shoe was on the other foot.

Minor management would want to have a long look at themselves. Go into an 8 point lead 15 on 15 and then deploy a sweeper and get caught instead of going on to win the game by going 10, 12 points up etc

I thought the same. But it was my big fear all week.

Looking like a semi v KK (assuming we win the qtr).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

Having seen the highlights there, there were some half chances for goals that could have been taken and could have gone in on another day... But tbh I feel that line decisions were fatal today, I feel O Mahony was left on too long, he clearly had an off day. Hannon should have been moved further in and Downes out when the Cork half back line really started to dominate.. We're very light on the bench and when the game isn't going our way hard to see anybody turning it coming off the bench. The defence were second to nearly every ball in the second half which is disappointing, room for improvement for the next day!

Im langers

GOM was destroyed, it doesnt say much for management that he wasnt taken off, even when cork had zero on the board he'd been cleaned by harnedy twice and it only got worse.

Not sure POB was so bad, definitely the wrong man got taken off first

Match was lost in the first half, 3 missed frees from dowling, but the free against browne was the turning point went from 4 up and cruising to 3 down (and out)

Gavin gave them a few soft ones in that time alright

We were fcuked from there, GOM tried a short pass and it resulted in a cork score, dowling and browne with missed chances and then hickey with the final balls up.

The line was so slow to react, JBM brought on sull and egan and put walsh across on breen, we done fcuk all and it cost us that doesnt bode well.

Sad to say but GOM has to be dropped, major concern over the line rather than the players for the next day.

Fcuked away the minor too, mixed bag from a few players especially ronan lynch.

Rotten drunk

we lost 3/4 of the match ups i posted pre game that was the difference.

Tomas ryan in the next day, downes at CF FFS come on

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

we lost 3/4 of the match ups i posted pre game that was the difference.

Tomas ryan in the next day, downes at CF FFS come on

Spot on as usual. We're still in it. Enjoy the pints Paddy, we'll dissect it tomo. ;)

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »

Was surprised to see ryan at CB, he done ok but thought it would be ronan lynch their. He was very mixed yesterday more bad than good i have to say, hit a few wides from play, went for goal off the free, terrible effort and pretty much doesnt pass the ball to anyone. One clearance in the second half straight to waterford player, who knocked back in for a waterford goal. He's well capable of doing much better the next day.

Their full forward had us beat in the 2nd half, i thought if were playing a sweeper he should have been stood in front of him. The 17 done ok when brought on was physical, but missed a point to win it and was lucky for our 2nd goal.

Our half forwards were well on top until they dropped back a sweeper in the first half after about 20 mins, then they came back in to it and had oceans of space up front.

If they goit with the right attitude and hurl for 60 mins the next day they should win.

Cian lynch is a joy to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement