Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Im langers

GOM was destroyed, it doesnt say much for management that he wasnt taken off, even when cork had zero on the board he'd been cleaned by harnedy twice and it only got worse.

Not sure POB was so bad, definitely the wrong man got taken off first

Match was lost in the first half, 3 missed frees from dowling, but the free against browne was the turning point went from 4 up and cruising to 3 down (and out)

Gavin gave them a few soft ones in that time alright

We were fcuked from there, GOM tried a short pass and it resulted in a cork score, dowling and browne with missed chances and then hickey with the final balls up.

The line was so slow to react, JBM brought on sull and egan and put walsh across on breen, we done fcuk all and it cost us that doesnt bode well.

Sad to say but GOM has to be dropped, major concern over the line rather than the players for the next day.

Fcuked away the minor too, mixed bag from a few players especially ronan lynch.

Rotten drunk

Did you bump into any of the team on the lash while you where drowning your sorrows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Was at pitch level front row seat for the game lads so i had a good view of GOM being destroyed but not so much POB, was he really that bad. We were destroyed when he got taken off, though there were other factors there. Lehane got a few scores but they were in open play when we were stretched rather than in one on one's with Paidi i thought.

The 3 matches definitely stood to cork, they were flying in the last ten, we were laboured and short of ideas, that should bring us on a lot. Its all on TJ's selection and reaction on the sideline the next day, needs to make changes and get them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Was at pitch level front row seat for the game lads so i had a good view of GOM being destroyed but not so much POB, was he really that bad. We were destroyed when he got taken off, though there were other factors there. Lehane got a few scores but they were in open play when we were stretched rather than in one on one's with Paidi i thought.

The 3 matches definitely stood to cork, they were flying in the last ten, we were laboured and short of ideas, that should bring us on a lot. Its all on TJ's selection and reaction on the sideline the next day, needs to make changes and get them right.

Lehane scored 4 from play in the first half, at any level you'd be surprised to see the wing back come back out at after half time after that.

Lehane scored 4 from play in the first half, at any level you'd be surprised to see the wing back come back out at after half time after that.

Ok fair enough, will try and watch on the player later.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Limerick v Wexford/Waterford confirmed for 2pm in Thurles 27th of July. Dublin v Tipp at 4pm also in Thurles, surprised Dublin have agreed to travel to Thurles for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Pandiani wrote: »
    Limerick v Wexford/Waterford confirmed for 2pm in Thurles 27th of July. Dublin v Tipp at 4pm also in Thurles, surprised Dublin have agreed to travel to Thurles for this.

Assuming tickets will go on sale once we have a winner next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Pandiani wrote: »

Yeah, they'll be minced, spelling the end of Daly's tenure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Rightwing wrote: »

Tipp will have a big say yet. They should beat Dublin and they'll be underdogs against Cork and could be waiting in the long grass big time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Rightwing wrote: »

Daly to take over when Davy departs in Clare ??? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Would Daly come to Limerick? He is a good manager and reader of the game.

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    Tipp will have a big say yet. They should beat Dublin and they'll be underdogs against Cork and could be waiting in the long grass big time

Agreed, could be like 2010, lost in Munster and won the AI. I'd have Tipp fav V Cork.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »

Doubtful if Fitz would leave just yet, the € must be big for these managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Browney7 wrote: »

There is no long grass left. It is well and truly cut at this stage. Every one has shown there hand.
    I cant see either Wexford or Waterford beating Limerick. If Dublin agreed to play in Thurles without it being forced on them, then it is a strange decision. They are either very confident or very stupid and only time will tell, however Limerick did beat Tipp there and Dublin are a better team than Limerick.
    Like others here I expect a Kilkenny v Limerick and Tipp v Cork semi final without writing off Dublin by any means.
    Kilkenny to beat Limerick but if it is Cork and Tipp well that will be decided on the day as form means nothing when these two teams meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

cnoc wrote: »
    Would Daly come to Limerick? He is a good manager and reader of the game.

Might be a bit too close to home - I heard one Clare person refer to his work with Dublin as missionary work for the game of hurling but I think helping out the near neighbours would be a bit dicey if he ever wants to get the Clare job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well lads, 2 disappointing results. Minors threw it away really, opened up decent leads a couple of times, but couldn't hold on. Bit like last year in reverse, hopefully the replay isn't the reverse too. Serious problem at centre-back and Cormac Curran killed us. Think we missed Colin Ryan in attack, and some of the marquee players again tried to do too much... serious talent, bit disappointed with some of the decision-making though.

As for the seniors, I think most of the question marks we had were proven right. I think it was a mistake not to put Hickey at half-back, and bring in someone like Walsh in the corner. I said we should leave out GOM and POB, and that they really owed TJ a big game for keeping faith with them, but they struggled. They are great players... Gavin has been consistent over the past 5-6 years, been our captain; Paudie is arguably the best midfielder in Limerick club hurling, but he's not really a wing-back and Gavin has been struggling with form this season. Maybe a stint on the bench would improve them? Certainly competition can't hurt. I do feel bad for criticising players like that, who clearly give it everything and it means so much to them, but the Cork half-forward line must have scored 1-10 from play and that's not good enough.

Hannon, as well, he's struggling to reach the heights he's capable of. Probably the single most talented player in the team, but he's not playing as well as he can. Had one really bad miss iirc, scored a point, but he can do so much more. It's almost sacrilege to say it, but maybe he should be benched.... maybe the fact that it's almost impossible to think about is the problem. Maybe the fight for his place is what he need to get back to his brilliant best. Not sure who you'd bring in though... I think Mulcahy benefited from having Breen playing instead of Tobin; maybe Moran? I don't really think Ryan is a forward..... no one we bring in is as good as Hannon in terms of talent, but it might have to be done. Possibly Allis?

I think Downes should have been moved to centre-forward, hit a couple of really bad wides on the run. I'm a massive fan of Downes as you probably all know, I think he's our most important player tbh, but he can do so much better. At the same time, he did make some great runs and if he was charging through the middle, you'd think he'd be scoring those. And if he had been at full-forward, is he perhaps a more natural goal threat than Dowling? Maybe, maybe not, Dowling did brilliantly tbf to him.

We had chances, Browne (who is normally brilliant at making the right decision) throwing the ball to the ground to gain time instead of laying it off, Breen driving the ball over the bar, Dowling pulling on the ground... there were plenty of half-chances that weren't converted. It's something that needs to be worked on, for sure.

But tightening up the defence would be my first priority.

I'd be looking at:
    Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Hickey Wayne Ryan
    Ryan Browne
    Dodge
    Breen Downes Allis
    Mulcahy Dowling

Or maybe bring Cathal King in around the middle for his pace and sweeping ability, and put Dodge where Allis is.

Although Mulcahy did do well kind of playing between the half-forward and full-forward lines, it depends on the team we're facing, I suppose.

Maybe Moran inside? It wouldn't be a very mobile inside line though...... have to get these tweaks now, no room for error in knockout hurling.

But we're still in it, and I still think we have a performance capable of beating anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

dzilla wrote: »
    Did you bump into any of the team on the lash while you where drowning your sorrows?

At least Limerick gave Cork a tough game yesterday unlike Waterford in the replay.;)

OK, watched first half, still think POB wasnt so bad, lehane only skinned him for one score, 2 others he went across to the other side of the field and picked up two breaks, the 4th was from a POB clearance that aidan walsh won and laid off, paidi did get a huge score himself. Also he didnt foul harnedy when he got a yellow, one of a couple of bad decisions gavin gave against us

Our forwards had em on the rope, and left them off the hook, hannon a monster score but seems to have no confidence and 2 bad wides after.

Downes was better than i thought but was blocked down for a point he should have taken

Dodgy 2 great points but the one he missed was terrible

Breen brilliant but one awful wide as well

As said before brownes turnover was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

And a word about our opposition the next day... either Wexford or Waterford. I think it will be very easy for people to underrate both of these teams, even with Wexford's victory over Clare.

I do think we are better than both, we are further ahead in our development than either and player-for-player, I believe we have superior hurlers. That said, if we don't show them respect, they could easily beat us. We have to go out there, treat Wexford/Waterford as we did Cork/Tipp and just get the win.

Whoever wins will probably fancy their chances of taking a crack off us anyway, probably think we are there for the taking. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Think we played well for the majority of the game and the small things left us down. 24 points was a great score to put up having gone 6 weeks without a Championship match.
    It had the feeling that a goal would win the game and Cork got them and fair play to them deserving win. Fantastic occasion played in the right manner and a great atmosphere. Credit to both teams and supporters on what will be remembered as a historic sporting day in this country.

Where we go from here will tell a lot about this team. In a way it's set up for a run to the AI final with matches coming thick and fast from now and hopefully that will benefit the team.

Maybe it's just me but I think perhaps a sweeper system could be looked at as something we will use further down the road. 2-17 is too big a score to give up from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Problem is any sweeper system while making it harder for the opposition to score, does the same for the team operating the system. It is a very negative tactic employed when you do not trust your six backs. It is damage limitation at best and seldom a winning tactic in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

At least Limerick gave Cork a tough game yesterday unlike Waterford in the replay.;)

How much did Limerick lose by? Was it close?

• Advertisement

Quaid - one puck out on the full not involved really, no chance on 2 goals

Condon - destroyed by cadogan, was poor for sull's goal two, was poor v tipp i thought, wont be dropped but needs to improve

Richie - solid

Hickey - was excellent but for turnover

POB - conceded scores to lehane and not a genuine half back, cant argue if is dropped

Wayne mac - done well in general, distribution good scored a great point, though cooper did well too

GOM - destroyed, will be on sideline next day, just looks a total loss of form at the wrong time

Jimbob - very good but should have been replaced on 55 mins

Browne - excellent but spoiled his performance with 2 turnovers

Hannon - wonder score and then went south, hard to know to drop him or not

Dodgy - pretty good 2 scores and a free won in 5 mins, battled well one bad wide, not a natural forward though

Downes - got on a share of ball but 3 wides and a block down shot was a poor return, won a free immediately when moved to CF, still think thats where he belongs

Mulcahy - our top performer, was excellent, 2 games in a row now

Dowling - was very good the 3 frees aside, leave him inside, footwork practice for next 2 weeks

Breen - very good, one bad wide and one head down gallop into traffic and a turnover (his usual) cant do that at this level - definitely keeps his place

Seanie tobin - totally bypassed, you'd hardly know he was on sadly

Walsh - cork were on top when he came, done ok, gave away one free

King and the other fella not on long enough.

Management - had the team well prepared and got a great performance but didnt react to the blatantly obvious, maybe they were hamstrung by injuries to ryan and dempsey but they need to get the finger out on match day or we wont be involved much longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: dzilla, pretty much each one of your ventures to the Limerick thread is low level trolling. As a result, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Ok, my last post on this for a while

It was said to me last year that our players were too fit, body fats were seriously low and players had the hitting power of wet kleenex. Got a bit of stick here for it, but again looking at sundays performance there's no way GOM is physically in a good state, he's listless no pace, and gassed after 55 mins against tipp and again sunday and just looks thin.

Also wayne mac looks thin to me, the guy normally hits like a tank but loss out in a couple of 50/50's with cooper on sunday. the way he got lifted off his feet in the first minuts suggests he's underweight.

See tom condons shoulder on cadogan on the sideline with 5-10minutes to go, under the normal run of things condon would level him but cadogan rode the challenge comfortably and got a shot in.

Was told we also gassed with 10 to go v cork in c'ville, the only player offering a threat in the last 10minutes on sunday was dowling! in fact he got stronger the whole way through the game, make of that what ye will. Heaviest guy on the team was the only one to get the trip, lighest guy on the team didnt hit a ball all day.

Looking around at some fellas like jackie tyrell/conal keaney and see how big they are, not sure if we are going down the right route fitness wise. Obviously this is just speculation on my behalf but its something to keep an eye on imo.

It was said to me last year that our players were too fit, body fats were seriously low and players had the hitting power of wet kleenex. Got a bit of stick here for it, but again looking at sundays performance there's no way GOM is physically in a good state, he's listless no pace, and gassed after 55 mins against tipp and again sunday and just looks thin.

Also wayne mac looks thin to me, the guy normally hits like a tank but loss out in a couple of 50/50's with cooper on sunday. the way he got lifted off his feet in the first minuts suggests he's underweight.

See tom condons shoulder on cadogan on the sideline with 5-10minutes to go, under the normal run of things condon would level him but cadogan rode the challenge comfortably and got a shot in.

Was told we also gassed with 10 to go v cork in c'ville, the only player offering a threat in the last 10minutes on sunday was dowling! in fact he got stronger the whole way through the game, make of that what ye will. Heaviest guy on the team was the only one to get the trip, lighest guy on the team didnt hit a ball all day.

Looking around at some fellas like jackie tyrell/conal keaney and see how big they are, not sure if we are going down the right route fitness wise. Obviously this is just speculation on my behalf but its something to keep an eye on imo.

Good point. We certainly weren't horsing lads out of it like we were in Munster last year.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well lads, 2 disappointing results. Minors threw it away really, opened up decent leads a couple of times, but couldn't hold on. Bit like last year in reverse, hopefully the replay isn't the reverse too. Serious problem at centre-back and Cormac Curran killed us. Think we missed Colin Ryan in attack, and some of the marquee players again tried to do too much... serious talent, bit disappointed with some of the decision-making though.

As for the seniors, I think most of the question marks we had were proven right. I think it was a mistake not to put Hickey at half-back, and bring in someone like Walsh in the corner. I said we should leave out GOM and POB, and that they really owed TJ a big game for keeping faith with them, but they struggled. They are great players... Gavin has been consistent over the past 5-6 years, been our captain; Paudie is arguably the best midfielder in Limerick club hurling, but he's not really a wing-back and Gavin has been struggling with form this season. Maybe a stint on the bench would improve them? Certainly competition can't hurt. I do feel bad for criticising players like that, who clearly give it everything and it means so much to them, but the Cork half-forward line must have scored 1-10 from play and that's not good enough.

Hannon, as well, he's struggling to reach the heights he's capable of. Probably the single most talented player in the team, but he's not playing as well as he can. Had one really bad miss iirc, scored a point, but he can do so much more. It's almost sacrilege to say it, but maybe he should be benched.... maybe the fact that it's almost impossible to think about is the problem. Maybe the fight for his place is what he need to get back to his brilliant best. Not sure who you'd bring in though... I think Mulcahy benefited from having Breen playing instead of Tobin; maybe Moran? I don't really think Ryan is a forward..... no one we bring in is as good as Hannon in terms of talent, but it might have to be done. Possibly Allis?

I think Downes should have been moved to centre-forward, hit a couple of really bad wides on the run. I'm a massive fan of Downes as you probably all know, I think he's our most important player tbh, but he can do so much better. At the same time, he did make some great runs and if he was charging through the middle, you'd think he'd be scoring those. And if he had been at full-forward, is he perhaps a more natural goal threat than Dowling? Maybe, maybe not, Dowling did brilliantly tbf to him.

We had chances, Browne (who is normally brilliant at making the right decision) throwing the ball to the ground to gain time instead of laying it off, Breen driving the ball over the bar, Dowling pulling on the ground... there were plenty of half-chances that weren't converted. It's something that needs to be worked on, for sure.

But tightening up the defence would be my first priority.

I'd be looking at:
    Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    Hickey Wayne Ryan
    Ryan Browne
    Dodge
    Breen Downes Allis
    Mulcahy Dowling

Or maybe bring Cathal King in around the middle for his pace and sweeping ability, and put Dodge where Allis is.

Although Mulcahy did do well kind of playing between the half-forward and full-forward lines, it depends on the team we're facing, I suppose.

Maybe Moran inside? It wouldn't be a very mobile inside line though...... have to get these tweaks now, no room for error in knockout hurling.

But we're still in it, and I still think we have a performance capable of beating anyone.

100% that is what I'd pick. Maybe leave Downes in the corner but only if the half forward line plays very deep and leaves lots of space inside, Dodge in particular needs to be told to fire every ball to the corner.

1 thing we don't have is strength in depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Agreed... All doesn't seem right, the conditioning is all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

As an outsider looking in, it seems some of the Limerick lads are very top heavy. it was very noticeable that Cork were more athletic getting around the park I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

But didn't we finish very strong against Tipp all the same? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement