Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

letowski wrote: »
    Hannon will make his mark soon this year, as he finds his feet. He has all the ability, I think he just needs to move better off the ball, to get involved more with ye're midfielders. As you said above, POM and GOM's performances have been poor this year, and these two are ye're best distributor's of the ball from defence.
    I agree on Hannon. I just think at this stage a good performance from the bench might be what he needs to rediscover his form. That's where the managers judgement comes in I suppose.

Gavin is a very intelligent distributor of the ball. Paudie however, is not. It might come from the fact that he is such a prodigious long range point taker (he often scores 6 or 7 from play from midfield for club and college) but his delivery to the forwards is poor. He is regularly guilty of just hitting it high and long straight down his own wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I was very impressed by Wexford this year and I am not talking about the wins over Clare and Waterford. In the first half of the league quarter finals they were hugely impressive against Kilkenny but fell away due to fitness more than anything else in the second half. That has been rectified and they have brought in a few very good players since then as well. This is a team that is going places and not relying on just fifteen players. They are not the finished article but they are not far off it either. They are a huge threat to Limerick and will be for Kilkenny too if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

Why is betting suspended for the Wexford match?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

detective wrote: »
    Why is betting suspended for the Wexford match?

Only these markets in bet 365

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Am i seeing things or has next Sunday's match completely sold out on tickets.ie. Didnt think for a second this would sell out.

Can anyone with inside info tell me if there is other ticket sources available bar winging it on the day?

• Advertisement

Am i seeing things or has next Sunday's match completely sold out on tickets.ie. Didnt think for a second this would sell out.

Can anyone with inside info tell me if there is other ticket sources available bar winging it on the day?

On the site here now and I have the option of the killinan end and the old stand. They'll surely open up the town end terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Surely tickets will go to the clubs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭bennyl10

On the site here now and I have the option of the killinan end and the old stand. They'll surely open up the town end terrace
    Town end terrace was there this morning. Got 2 myself for it..

Click through the old stand with a,quantity it says none available..

Suppose 4 counties.. all with clubs to be catered for

From this morning, town end terrace was there..

Should go back up youd imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Got stand and terrace tickets on it today for people by all accounts it's selling fast here in wexford anyway

• Advertisement

I better get a move on so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Was thinking there earlier that our team hasn't changed too much over the past few years.

Looked back as far as the 2011 defeat to a Ryan O'Dwyer inspired Dublin and the team was as follows:
    N Quaid
    D Moloney, S Hickey, T Condon
    W McNamara, B Geary, G O'Mahony
    D O'Grady (0-1), P Browne
    N Moran, J Ryan, D Hannon
    G Mulcahy, K Downes, S Tobin

Fast forward to 2012 and the defeat to Kilkenny in 2012 by 3 goals
    N Quaid
    S Walsh, R McCarthy, T Condon
    W McNamara, D O’Grady, G O’Mahony
    J Ryan, P O’Brien
    S Dowling, D Breen , D Hannon
    G Mulcahy, N Moran, S Tobin.

Now look at the team that lined out against Cork this year
    N Quaid
    S Hickey, R McCarthy, T Condon
    P O’Brien, W McNamara, G O’Mahony
    J Ryan, P Browne
    D Breen, D O’Grady, D Hannon
    G Mulcahy, S Dowling, K Downes

Obviously we've improved as a team over the past few years and there's no point changing things for the craic but as can be seen our team has been very settled but could that be a problem for us? Fellas having at least a four year run in the shirt without being really challenged for places? I'm really starting to think it's now or never for this team. If not this year we'll be waiting for the crop of minors to come through to strengthen the team

Browney7 wrote: »
    Was thinking there earlier that our team hasn't changed too much over the past few years.

Looked back as far as the 2011 defeat to a Ryan O'Dwyer inspired Dublin and the team was as follows:
    N Quaid
    D Moloney, S Hickey, T Condon
    W McNamara, B Geary, G O'Mahony
    D O'Grady (0-1), P Browne
    N Moran, J Ryan, D Hannon
    G Mulcahy, K Downes, S Tobin

Fast forward to 2012 and the defeat to Kilkenny in 2012 by 3 goals
    N Quaid
    S Walsh, R McCarthy, T Condon
    W McNamara, D O’Grady, G O’Mahony
    J Ryan, P O’Brien
    S Dowling, D Breen , D Hannon
    G Mulcahy, N Moran, S Tobin.

Now look at the team that lined out against Cork this year
    N Quaid
    S Hickey, R McCarthy, T Condon
    P O’Brien, W McNamara, G O’Mahony
    J Ryan, P Browne
    D Breen, D O’Grady, D Hannon
    G Mulcahy, S Dowling, K Downes

Obviously we've improved as a team over the past few years and there's no point changing things for the craic but as can be seen our team has been very settled but could that be a problem for us? Fellas having at least a four year run in the shirt without being really challenged for places? I'm really starting to think it's now or never for this team. If not this year we'll be waiting for the crop of minors to come through to strengthen the team

It's whatever you make it really. Having a settled team, is, in theory, good for the continuity of the team.

But this year in particular, there has been evidence of staleness in certain areas. Certain players suffering because of a lack of competition... not that there aren't other players though, but no matter how poorly they have played, they have held their position.

We haven't really built a squad as much as you'd like, but our best forwards are still very young. I think we have one player over the age of 30. But yeah, we should be targeting this year, I think. Not only have we developing over the past few years, but there is no standout team in the country at the moment... things are very close.

Follow on from.earlier..
    Monaleen tweeted this today

@monaleengaa
    "@LimerickCLG Tickets for Sunday in Thurles are available from SUPERVALU,CENTRA & GAA website. We have no club tickets http://t.co/T0K0jAwNXZ"

Wonder does it follow suit for all?..

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Follow on from.earlier..

@monaleengaa
    "@LimerickCLG Tickets for Sunday in Thurles are available from SUPERVALU,CENTRA & GAA website. We have no club tickets http://t.co/T0K0jAwNXZ"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Bold statement from Redmond Barry on the tweeting machine..... Winner nexts sunday will win the all ireland!!!

I was very impressed with wexfords ball winning ability against clare. It was almost kilkennyesque although the shooting was anything but.

I cant see a puck of the ball between ourselves and the strawberry pickers....

Follow on from.earlier..

@monaleengaa

Sent a tweet to Jerome O' Connell from the Limerick leader and he says that clubs are getting tickets tomorrow

Yeah, asked my club earlier, have tickets sorted for terrace.

Looking at the highlights of the Wexford game, we will be right up against it. Firstly... huge following, passionate crowd that are right behind at the moment, they've been waiting for a year like this for a good while. If they start to get a bit of momentum in the match, that will be a big help for them.

Most noticeably, the movement of their forwards is excellent, they make the right runs, they have some great stickwork and are capable of working the space very well. Limerick struggled when Cork made very clever runs, and they won a lot of breaking ball. We've also spoke about the need for changes in our backline. However, when you stick tight to the Wexford forwards, they can be pressurised and have been guilty of hitting bad wides on a regular basis. I'd have more faith in our backline than Waterford's tbh, but we can't make the same mistakes again.

McDonald and McGovern are both very tough to mark, for different reasons, and we need the right men on them. I don't know if dropping an extra man back is the right idea... if we go man-to-man, do we have better hurlers than Wexford? Maybe... but maybe not. I'd welcome an open game, but I think we might see a 2-man inside line and an extra player around the middle/half-forward line to help us contest with a very physical Wexford half-back line.

Ryan & Browne will have their hands full to cope with Redmond & Chin, another excellent midfield pairing, but I have faith in our lads, haven't let us down.

And it was noticeable how much space Waterford had inside... and Clare as well... if you pick the right pass, there is the capacity to cause damage. Mulcahy, Downes and Dowling will just be waiting for that. Hannon would too, but I'd leave him off (or he could be the one dictating it), he'd be put under a lot of pressure by the likes of Shore. Need to work on our ruthlessness in front of goal for sure, but with Rossiter possibly out as well, there is potential for us to cause problems.

Both Sunday Game analysts backed Wexford, they are a fine side, but it's must-win for us. Wexford will have their time, I'm sure, but we need this. Big test for TJ again.

Any idea which terrace fireball?

Any idea which terrace fireball?

No, I asked via text, but didn't get a reply. I suppose we'll see tomorrow.

I would have imagined it's the town end, that's usually where we end up.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah, asked my club earlier, have tickets sorted for terrace.

Looking at the highlights of the Wexford game, we will be right up against it. Firstly... huge following, passionate crowd that are right behind at the moment, they've been waiting for a year like this for a good while. If they start to get a bit of momentum in the match, that will be a big help for them.

Most noticeably, the movement of their forwards is excellent, they make the right runs, they have some great stickwork and are capable of working the space very well. Limerick struggled when Cork made very clever runs, and they won a lot of breaking ball. We've also spoke about the need for changes in our backline. However, when you stick tight to the Wexford forwards, they can be pressurised and have been guilty of hitting bad wides on a regular basis. I'd have more faith in our backline than Waterford's tbh, but we can't make the same mistakes again.

McDonald and McGovern are both very tough to mark, for different reasons, and we need the right men on them. I don't know if dropping an extra man back is the right idea... if we go man-to-man, do we have better hurlers than Wexford? Maybe... but maybe not. I'd welcome an open game, but I think we might see a 2-man inside line and an extra player around the middle/half-forward line to help us contest with a very physical Wexford half-back line.

Ryan & Browne will have their hands full to cope with Redmond & Chin, another excellent midfield pairing, but I have faith in our lads, haven't let us down.

And it was noticeable how much space Waterford had inside... and Clare as well... if you pick the right pass, there is the capacity to cause damage. Mulcahy, Downes and Dowling will just be waiting for that. Hannon would too, but I'd leave him off (or he could be the one dictating it), he'd be put under a lot of pressure by the likes of Shore. Need to work on our ruthlessness in front of goal for sure, but with Rossiter possibly out as well, there is potential for us to cause problems.

Both Sunday Game analysts backed Wexford, they are a fine side, but it's must-win for us. Wexford will have their time, I'm sure, but we need this. Big test for TJ again.

Think we should crowd the midfield but use our half forwards to do this.

Let the ball in early to Mulcahy and Downes and go for the jugular early with early goals to silence what should be a large Wexford crowd. Last thing you want to do with any Wexford team is get drawn into rough stuff and a battle.

We have the hurlers in Hannon, Dowling, Mulcahy, Richie, Jimbob, Paul Browne, Hickey and Downes. The best we've had since the class of 96 with Quaid, Carey, Clarke, Houlihan, Nash, Kirby and Quigley. It's up to the players and management on Sunday to show we aren't going away and that we're a serious team.

Think we should crowd the midfield but use our half forwards to do this.

Let the ball in early to Mulcahy and Downes and go for the jugular early with early goals to silence what should be a large Wexford crowd. Last thing you want to do with any Wexford team is get drawn into rough stuff and a battle.

We have the hurlers in Hannon, Dowling, Mulcahy, Richie, Jimbob, Paul Browne, Hickey and Downes. The best we've had since the class of 96 with Quaid, Carey, Clarke, Houlihan, Nash, Kirby and Quigley. It's up to the players and management on Sunday to show we aren't going away and that we're a serious team.

I would argue that the forwards we have now are more naturally talented than those we had in 94-96, who relied on Kirby an awful lot.

Quigley, TJ & Galligan were nice hurlers, no doubt about that; but I think we have a better individual group atm, although they still have to click really.

Agree about going for goals. But that's what I said about Cork too, and that never happened. Is Downes at full-forward the way to go? But then where does Dowling go? If Dowling is at full, Downes in the corner? But how about ball-winning.... Wexford are strong in that area... a few questions to address.

But yeah, I would pull our half-forward line a bit deeper, let our half-back line drop back a little too so there's not much space in front of our full-back line and try to leave Mulcahy in particular isolated against his marker... along with Downes/Dowling/whoever is inside.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I would argue that the forwards we have now are more naturally talented than those we had in 94-96, who relied on Kirby an awful lot.

Quigley, TJ & Galligan were nice hurlers, no doubt about that; but I think we have a better individual group atm, although they still have to click really.

Agree about going for goals. But that's what I said about Cork too, and that never happened. Is Downes at full-forward the way to go? But then where does Dowling go? If Dowling is at full, Downes in the corner? But how about ball-winning.... Wexford are strong in that area... a few questions to address.

But yeah, I would pull our half-forward line a bit deeper, let our half-back line drop back a little too so there's not much space in front of our full-back line and try to leave Mulcahy in particular isolated against his marker... along with Downes/Dowling/whoever is inside.

Building from the back I'd fancy Richie to stifle McDonald and we'd put Hickey on McGovern and Condon on Morris. Kind of a toss up for who play in the half backs really. James Ryan can pick up Lee Chin.

Will we start Breen again? Think we nearly have to put him in the half forwards as we've been unable to win our own ball in the half forward line for both the Cork and Tipp game for long periods of time.

Is there an argument to get Downes to play a role like "Bonner" Maher (A Makelele role if you must:D) and get him to take on his man which he likes doing and run at the heart of the defence. Have Hannon drop into Midfield to try and play his way into the game and have Mulcahy playing in front of Dowling for breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

mad limerick supporter here 1st post,lol
    great forum here was reading thru since munster final some great points made for sure.
    its gonna be a touch an go affair on sunday but i know we be the ones singing at the end.
    wexford are a lovely team but were a few years ahead i think and should get over the line by a couple of points.
    lumineach abu,,,,,,

Building from the back I'd fancy Richie to stifle McDonald and we'd put Hickey on McGovern and Condon on Morris. Kind of a toss up for who play in the half backs really. James Ryan can pick up Lee Chin.

Will we start Breen again? Think we nearly have to put him in the half forwards as we've been unable to win our own ball in the half forward line for both the Cork and Tipp game for long periods of time.

Is there an argument to get Downes to play a role like "Bonner" Maher (A Makelele role if you must:D) and get him to take on his man which he likes doing and run at the heart of the defence. Have Hannon drop into Midfield to try and play his way into the game and have Mulcahy playing in front of Dowling for breaks.

Would agree with all that. Think Breen has to start... mightn't be as naturally skilful as some of the others, but brings others into play and did well the last day.

Agree on Downes.

treklane wrote: »
    great forum here was reading thru since munster final some great points made for sure.
    its gonna be a touch an go affair on sunday but i know we be the ones singing at the end.
    wexford are a lovely team but were a few years ahead i think and should get over the line by a couple of points.
    lumineach abu,,,,,,

Welcome to the board... and hopefully we do come out on top.

treklane wrote: »
    lumineach abu,,,,,,

Yeah there's a good few knowledgable posters for sure and I think everyone posting in here is level headed enough to not get hysterical in defeat or victory. The Waterford forum is very popular on boards but the Limerick one is fairly active too.

We're right to be cagey but we should not be afraid of them. If we hurl to our potential we'll win

sjb25 wrote: »

Theyd hardly realistically move it to croker?,.
    And if stands are sold.out.. surely that means all seats are taken and more cant be added..

Theyd hardly realistically move it to croker?,.
    And if stands are sold.out.. surely that means all seats are taken and more cant be added..

Realy don't think they will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

sjb25 wrote: »
    Realy don't think they will
    They might split the matches up. Have Limerick .vs. Wexford on the Saturday evening and the Tipp .vs. Dublin match on the Sunday.

That way, they would probably sell it out on both days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement