Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭bennyl10

cabledude wrote: »
    They might split the matches up. Have Limerick .vs. Wexford on the Saturday evening and the Tipp .vs. Dublin match on the Sunday.

That way, they would probably sell it out on both days.

Again nightmare for people coming from.dublin whove trains and stuff sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Again nightmare for people coming from.dublin whove trains and stuff sorted
    There is also talk of it being moved to Croke Park on the Sunday. Newstalk are taking about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There is also talk of it being moved to Croke Park on the Sunday. Newstalk are taking about it.

No way, decision was made can't be changed now. (and we're rubbish in croker anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Town end or killinan end for Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Pious14 wrote: »
    Town end or killinan end for Limerick?

town end usually for Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

washman3 wrote: »
    town end usually for Limerick.

Clubs given Killian End apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Theyd hardly realistically move it to croker?,.
    And if stands are sold.out.. surely that means all seats are taken and more cant be added..

Surely can't after deciding to hold it in Thurles... just have to soldier on, I guess. Wouldn't have thought the tickets would sell out this quickly, obviously under-estimated things.

No way, decision was made can't be changed now. (and we're rubbish in croker anyway)

Obviously not going to happen, but I'd rather play in Croker at this stage and get used to it, than struggle over the line and flop again. I don't think we will flop again in Croker though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

They might split the matches up. Have Limerick .vs. Wexford on the Saturday evening and the Tipp .vs. Dublin match on the Sunday.

That way, they would probably sell it out on both days.

There's football on the TV saturday evening on sky so that's ruled out.

This I presume is the wexford secretary on a solo run. Possibly see a small chink of light for getting the game out of thurles which I imagine they see as conferring an advantage on Limerick.

I wouldn't mind seeing it in Croker - good preparation for whoever wins against a KK team who've been living there for the last 10 years. Won't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Relatively new poster here guys so take it easy ha

There is blue murder going on in wexford at the moment as we speak a board meeting is going on about tickets ... Wexford only received 2,000 stand tickets and demand is insane roughly 10 times that amount are looking for tickets.

This is going to rumble on for the next 36 to 48 hours and I guarantee you it has nothing to do with trying to get ye out of thurles.

As for the match for wexford supporters genuine ones this year has been a god send we are realistic and know ye are a better side ... I still have ye top 2 side and would dearly love to see ye win an all Ireland..

Just taught I would give the info so you understand what our county board are at and it's not just some silly.mind game

I finally got a chance to watch the Munster final again... a couple of weeks on, a fresh outlook.

Very frustrating tbh, for large parts of the game, particularly in the 1st half we were the better team. Wasted so many chances in that first half... not only wides, but very bad wides and also shots dropped short, poor options taken. Hannon scooped a ball wide, mis-hit another handy point, Downes turned into trouble, got blocked down, Breen pulled one wide, Browne fouled the ball.... Dowling missed 3 frees he'd normally slot over in his sleep. That's very bad stuff. The 2nd half had the same, but at least Cork missed some awful chances too.

For about 25 minutes of the 1st half, we were on top, but we didn't pull clear and then Cork blitzed us. Cadogan had barely touched the ball till around then, but had burned Condon 3 times before the half ended, getting 2 points and it was clear he needed to be switched off him- didn't happen. In fact, we did really well to pull back level by the break, scoring 0-3 without reply, but we should have been well clear. It was like a reverse of last year's final, Cork were on top for most of that half but we went in level and you felt advantage was with us then. The reverse true here.

But even then, we led at times in the 2nd half and were level right up until the goal which obviously killed us.

I was surprised at the half-time stat which said we won 15/18 of our puckouts, while Cork won 10/18 of theirs (something like that anyway)... obviously Breen was excellent, but once Walsh went back there, it nullified him, and again we didn't change it up. Hannon didn't win one ball, I don't think in the entire game- either broken down or cleanly... what he is good at is breaking onto the ball but we didn't have him doing that enough, he did win a few frees, but his some awful wides and wasn't in the game enough. I noticed him back deep in his own backline tracking Cadogan at times, gave away a silly free too. Obviously the monster point he did score was great, but he is capable of so much more.

Backline obviously did struggle, but we did make things very hard for them in the 1st half, their half-forward line didn't win much, but Lehane was sweeping up the breaks. I think that was down to Browne & Ryan's work, they made it very hard for Cork to get a foothold, but our wing-backs did struggle. Cork were a bit smarter in the 2nd half, and I imagine our midfielders tired a bit. Richie Mc, Hickey & Wayne were all very solid though. But we'll need to cut out the space for Wexford.

Ryan & Browne were immense, as per usual. Did so much work. Browne made a couple of mistakes at crucial times which may have hurt us too.

Mulcahy was absolutely class, even better than I originally thought. Our best player in my opinion. Brilliant on the ball, one pass to Browne in particular was class. He caught more clean ball than most, he drifted around the place, scored 0-3, could have had more. Set up chances and had Cork in real trouble. Dowling obviously had an excellent 2nd half, and was an option throughout. Breen worked very hard, a brilliant 1st half and still did his bit in the 2nd. Dodgy did very well too, scored a couple of great points, won a few high balls, broke others down... a great option in that line, maybe tired in the last 15 minutes and possibly should have been replaced.

Downes used the ball well at times, but then made bad decisions too. Sometimes tries to do too much, hit some terrible wides. But he did win some good ball, maybe not as much as you'd hope for. I'd have him moved him to centre-forward or full-forward so he could run straight at goal, that's when he's at his best. Was a bit of a peripheral figure in the corner.

Probably very late to be saying all this, but that game was definitely there to be won. Had goal chances, and chances that could have become goal chances had we taken the right option but went for points or overran it. I would say 4 of our forwards had good games, and had the beating of their man for large portions of the game. We struggled when our half-back line started to get cleaned out, and we didn't have as much possession. Even Downes & Hannon, the quieter forwards, scored from play and showed what they can do..... Cork took their scores that bit easier, I think, they knew what they had to do and when you've got sheer pace from the likes of Lehane & Cadogan, that is an extra dimension. They struggled with ball-winning for a while, but sorted it out and were that little bit smarter.

But we could have won, we did play well and if we can just work on using the ball slightly better and tightening up in the backline, I think we're more than a match for anyone. I was getting very nervous about the Wexford game, and still am, but that has eased my nerves a bit.

I would definitely have Downes centrally, and would consider moving Dowling onto the wing at times if needs be. We need to get Hannon breaking onto the ball instead of getting him under it, he is not a ball-winner in any sense of the word, and I think people calling him to move back into the half-back line is madness atm, because if he can't catch a ball, he'll be in trouble there. I've no doubt he'll sweep well, and use the ball well, but I still think it's necessary for half-backs to be able to win ball and beat their men most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

gizmo23 wrote: »

There is blue murder going on in wexford at the moment as we speak a board meeting is going on about tickets ... Wexford only received 2,000 stand tickets and demand is insane roughly 10 times that amount are looking for tickets.

This is going to rumble on for the next 36 to 48 hours and I guarantee you it has nothing to do with trying to get ye out of thurles.

As for the match for wexford supporters genuine ones this year has been a god send we are realistic and know ye are a better side ... I still have ye top 2 side and would dearly love to see ye win an all Ireland..

Just taught I would give the info so you understand what our county board are at and it's not just some silly.mind game

That's harsh. GAA fupped up, should have reserved a minimum amount for each participating county and not disadvantage the one paying a week later. This wouldn't be an issue if it was waterford of course.

Can't see any easy solution here, doubt Limerick would agree to a switch at this late stage

Surely the breakdown of tickets is even between the counties?

Does seem to be very messy atm.... I would imagine Wexford will be granted more tickets, but a lot seem to be having sold online early on.

I think the fact that 3 teams knew they were involved before Wexford/Waterford and tickets seemingly went on sale before will have caused some issues. Hope everyone who wants a ticket gets one...

In addition to my post above, I now think our half-forward line is incredibly important and should line out as follows:

Dodge Downes Breen

or:

Dowling Dodge Breen

alternating at times, if necessary, leaving Mulcahy with Downes/Dowling inside. If Hannon is started (which I think he will be, I can't see TJ dropping him tbh), I'd have him playing behind that forward line, leaving him able to break onto the ball, rather than getting him pushed around by strong half-backs.

The other option would be to put Tom Ryan on the wing and go man-to-man, with Downes in the corner, but Downes wasn't utilised right the last day and I think we'll need Ryan in the backline.

Again, will TJ actually drop Paudie & Gavin and make the changes we feel are necessary? Loyalty is all well and good, but there are problems atm.

Tbh I AM just getting second hand information and won't know more till the morning myself...

What I do know is two club secretaries I know can't get tickets.

I was trying make sure everyone knows this is a real issue in wexford and not something we have made up to try get it moved although under liam Dunne I can see why some posters would think this haha

Tbh I AM just getting second hand information and won't know more till the morning myself...

What I do know is two club secretaries I know can't get tickets.

I was trying make sure everyone knows this is a real issue in wexford and not something we have made up to try get it moved although under liam Dunne I can see why some posters would think this haha

Don't see why Wexford would make it up... tbh I wouldn't care if it was moved, but just the fact that a huge amount of tickets have already been sold, and travel plans have been made... it would be unfair on those.

I imagine there are still plenty of terrace tickets on sale though... hopefully the distribution is fair. I don't think anyone would have expected Thurles to sell out for this... even now, I'm not sure it's likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I wonder is this in the best interests of Wexford. They have been a team who has flown under the radar and now there is a demand for tickets and a call for change of venue. Unless it's like North Korea in their camp, you would have to imagine the players will be distracted some bit by this "fiasco".
    I wouldn't mind playing in Croker sure if it guarantees a night out in Dublin all the better ;-)

On a more serious note though, how much do both stands hold? 20-25k I would presume, so that would leave them short half of an official/equal quarter allocation I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

We've had enough hassle with tickets this year with the whole pairc ui cork thing!!! Any genuine fan who wants a ticket will get one. Everyone will be putting out requests to numerous people. Think Thurles will suit us alright but will be a good trip for ye too.

Who knows, maybe half of Wexford already got their tickets! I would have thought each would have got 4000 stand tickets each with the remainder for general sale but the GAA could owe Musgrave's after the lack of tickets for Munster final

Does anything really suprise anyone when it comes to the gaa and tickets ???

The problem is no one outside and very few inside wexford taught the demand would be this high the team has caught the imagination and of coure with two wins out come the sunshine fans.

Anyway best of luck in the game guys and if ye win which I think ye will I really hope ye go on to win it

Also if there is any chance you can get mulcahy to come down and spread his seed around wexford to give us some.more forwards we won't complain

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    In addition to my post above, I now think our half-forward line is incredibly important and should line out as follows:

Dodge Downes Breen

or:

Dowling Dodge Breen

alternating at times, if necessary, leaving Mulcahy with Downes/Dowling inside. If Hannon is started (which I think he will be, I can't see TJ dropping him tbh), I'd have him playing behind that forward line, leaving him able to break onto the ball, rather than getting him pushed around by strong half-backs.

The other option would be to put Tom Ryan on the wing and go man-to-man, with Downes in the corner, but Downes wasn't utilised right the last day and I think we'll need Ryan in the backline.

Again, will TJ actually drop Paudie & Gavin and make the changes we feel are necessary? Loyalty is all well and good, but there are problems atm.

Good post on the Munster final. It wasn't a bad beating by any means but I was quite downbeat after it as we looked to have a few pretty fundamental problems. Good to get a positive in depth look at it.

Was thinking about half forwards and having Hannon and Breen back starting actually inhibits our options a little. Against Tipp we had more rotation as downes and dowling can both play in either the full or inside forward lines. Dodge Breen and Hannon are not as interchangeable and limit our options to rotate during games. Breen could do a good job at full forward IMO, but still, those three are less suited to the inside line.

I expect we'll start with the same half forward line as last day. But Dodge needs to improve his decision making and overall effectiveness I think, and Hannon needs to step up to what we know he's capable of. Either of these two winning a puck out or two would make a huge difference.

Good post on the Munster final. It wasn't a bad beating by any means but I was quite downbeat after it as we looked to have a few pretty fundamental problems. Good to get a positive in depth look at it.

Was thinking about half forwards and having Hannon and Breen back starting actually inhibits our options a little. Against Tipp we had more rotation as downes and dowling can both play in either the full or inside forward lines. Dodge Breen and Hannon are not as interchangeable and limit our options to rotate during games. Breen could do a good job at full forward IMO, but still, those three are less suited to the inside line.

I expect we'll start with the same half forward line as last day. But Dodge needs to improve his decision making and overall effectiveness I think, and Hannon needs to step up to what we know he's capable of. Either of these two winning a puck out or two would make a huge difference.

I also think that we'll probably keep the same half-forward line.

Having watched the U-21 game last year, I didn't have high hopes for TJ, but he's done alright... the one criticism is that he is a bit slow to make changes... the lack of subs against Tipp, leaving Condon on Cadogan, leaving the half-backs in place, not switching up the puck-outs after Walsh dropped back on Breen (surely the fact that Walsh was back there meant someone was free somewhere?).

I guess those things come with experience, but at the top level, you can't really wait for that when you have the players right now. He needs to learn quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

This going to the wire again, sounds like we're making a hero of this goalkeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Excellent, that's a hard won munster title

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Great news and well done to the minors.

There is an all-Ireland in this team if they keep their heads

If ( and I am saying if ) we beat Wexford I think the minors and seniors would be scheduled for different semi final days as Munster champions play before the senior Munster champions.

When this happened to Dublin a few years ago I think they changed the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

slegs wrote: »
    Great news and well done to the minors.

There is an all-Ireland in this team if they keep their heads

limerick were the better team in the second half. Great performances by Nash and Morrissey. I fancied ye to win the all Ireland at the start of the yr and haven't seen anything yet to change my mind. Very good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

slegs wrote: »
    If ( and I am saying if ) we beat Wexford I think the minors and seniors would be scheduled for different semi final days as Munster champions play before the senior Munster champions.

When this happened to Dublin a few years ago I think they changed the schedule.

Kilkenny minors would have priority I'd imagine

Browney7 wrote: »
    Kilkenny minors would have priority I'd imagine

Oh yeah that's right. Would have to be that way

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to Limerick tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Excellent win tonight. Morrissey and Nash were immense as was Ronan Lynch from placed balls.
    Managed to cut the supply to 6 foot 5 inch Patrick Curran in the second half was the difference. He is a brilliant player for Waterford and some future prospect.
    Would Limerick V Galway semi-final in Ennis make sense.? it does to me.
    Or is it already decided that minor semis precede senior semis.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

washman3 wrote: »
    Excellent win tonight. Morrissey and Nash were immense as was Ronan Lynch from placed balls.
    Managed to cut the supply to 6 foot 5 inch Patrick Curran in the second half was the difference. He is a brilliant player for Waterford and some future prospect.
    Would Limerick V Galway semi-final in Ennis make sense.? it does to me.
    Or is it already decided that minor semis precede senior semis.?

He what? Cormac Curran I'd say, Patrick Curran might be 6ft, might be. Although Id say you do mean Patrick Curran as he is an excellent hurler and next to Stephen Bennett, the best forward we've produced in the Minor renaissance since 2009.

Well done tonight, dominated the last 20 and number 13, 9 and 6 were the pick for me with obviously a great scoring burst by the full forward. Had no programme to hand so couldn't say who they were.

The accuracy of yer forwards was something else, one particularly ridiculous effort in the first half from the sideline that went over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement