Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

He what? Cormac Curran I'd say, Patrick Curran might be 6ft, might be. Although Id say you do mean Patrick Curran as he is an excellent hurler and next to Stephen Bennett, the best forward we've produced in the Minor renaissance since 2009.

Well done tonight, dominated the last 20 and number 13, 9 and 6 were the pick for me with obviously a great scoring burst by the full forward. Had no programme to hand so couldn't say who they were.

The accuracy of yer forwards was something else, one particularly ridiculous effort in the first half from the sideline that went over.

Curran is surname, not certain whether Patrick or Cormac. Got my info from a Waterford fan who also informed me that he is an equally good footballer.
    Wore 12 but played at full.
    Well if that guy is 'only' 6 foot then the Limerick full back is only 4' 10"
    He was barely up to Currans shoulder.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

6, 9 & 13 would have been Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Cian Lynch and Peter Casey as far as I know.

Great win for the minors, they're a super bunch of players with some really top class players. Sounded like the move of Colin Ryan to wing-back, and Morrissey to centre-forward were key... when Morrissey gets going, he is almost unstoppable, capable of putting points over on the turn. Reminds me a bit of Niall Moran tbh, capable of very good days but also days where things just don't go right. His goal (despite the steps) in the first Munster final last year, and his point-scoring display against Cork this year were also class.

We have some serious scoring forwards in the team though, we almost don't know what to do with them, playing some in midfield and in the backline..... really disappointed that I couldn't be in Thurles tonight.

But Waterford aren't gone yet, they'll know that better than anyone last year, and will be capable of beating Dublin, although it is a very short turnaround.

Well done to the minors though!

washman3 wrote: »
    Curran is surname, not certain whether Patrick or Cormac. Got my info from a Waterford fan who also informed me that he is an equally good footballer.
    Wore 12 but played at full.
    Well if that guy is 'only' 6 foot then the Limerick full back is only 4' 10"
    He was barely up to Currans shoulder.:confused:

Cormac Curran is the big, tall fella... Patrick Curran is the free-taker.

Cormac destroyed us aerially the last day, and caused problems when he played last year too. Patrick Curran is a serious hurler though, his display in the All-Ireland final last year is one of the best forward displays I've ever seen from a minor hurler, pure class... he was throwing points over from every angle. And he was still underage for another year. Waterford have a lot of small, light forwards coming through but when they get the 2 Currans & Stephen Bennett into the team, there'll be a bit of balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Lads could any of ye tell which Terrace the Limerick Supporters will be in on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Lads could any of ye tell which Terrace the Limerick Supporters will be in on Sunday?

Clubs got kilinan end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Browney7 wrote: »
    Clubs got kilinan end

Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Team announced, no changes....

I was hoping to see something closer to the 15 that finished the game v Cork but I'm not worried at all about the team that starts, my main concern is will management be quick enough to make substitutions/positional switches before it's too late. Can't afford to carry an off form player for 55/60 minutes. I'm no fan of Davy Fitz but he's not afraid to take a player off after 20 minutes if he feels a player is not at the races.

I never look forward to playing Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Team announced, no changes....

I was hoping to see something closer to the 15 that finished the game v Cork but I'm not worried at all about the team that starts, my main concern is will management be quick enough to make substitutions/positional switches before it's too late. Can't afford to carry an off form player for 55/60 minutes. I'm no fan of Davy Fitz but he's not afraid to take a player off after 20 minutes if he feels a player is not at the races.

I never look forward to playing Wexford!

Pretty sure GOM will be brought off after 20 if morris is scoring, would reckon walsh will come on with hickey mocing out but really id leave hickey on McGovern.

Anyway best of luck to them all.

Got tickets today, actually in stand.

I personally think that team is a mistake... I think Tom Ryan in particular deserves a start, and I think Hickey should be further out the field. We might still win, but the under-performing players need to step up... and if they don't, TJ has to be quick to make changes.

No chance of a dummy line-up, I suppose... doesn't seem like his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Got tickets today, actually in stand.

I personally think that team is a mistake... I think Tom Ryan in particular deserves a start, and I think Hickey should be further out the field. We might still win, but the under-performing players need to step up... and if they don't, TJ has to be quick to make changes.

No chance of a dummy line-up, I suppose... doesn't seem like his thing.
    Completely agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I think it's a dummy team lads. Can't see that 15 taking the field on Sunday.
    From what I hear the only change will be Hannon into the half back line and GO'M into the half forwards.

Be interesting if that's the case.

Anyone think that Dublin at 5/2 are a great bet to beat Tipp :eek:

francozola wrote: »
    From what I hear the only change will be Hannon into the half back line and GO'M into the half forwards.

Anyone think that Dublin at 5/2 are a great bet to beat Tipp :eek:

Interesting is one way of putting it! I've always felt Hannon in the half back line is something that needs to be explored but I'm not so sure an All-Ireland quarter final is the right time to do that, and as for O'Mahony in the half forwards? I like him but there are players on the bench who are better suited for that position.

If we're sticking with the same 15 I'd nearly drop O'Grady back to centre back, push Wayne Mac onto the wing, Gavin into midfield and James Ryan into the half forward line. All four have played well in those positions before. That said, it would probably be madness to break up the Ryan Browne midfield partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

GOM's problem is form not where he's playing we all know he's a quality half back. If he's out of form at half back i cant see him being better anywhere else.

The hannon/GOM thing seems to be all over the place, plenty people think its the same 15 and others saying it'll be changed on the day, none of us will know until the day, speculation fairly pointless at this stage, TJ has played this one well, plenty of disinformation out there.

francozola wrote: »

That's not really a dummy team in that case though, if the personnel are the same. We obviously know Breen isn't going to play corner-forward, for example.

But I don't think switching Hannon with GOM is the solution either.

GOM's problem is form not where he's playing we all know he's a quality half back. If he's out of form at half back i cant see him being better anywhere else.

The hannon/GOM thing seems to be all over the place, plenty people think its the same 15 and others saying it'll be changed on the day, none of us will know until the day, speculation fairly pointless at this stage, TJ has played this one well, plenty of disinformation out there.

I agree with this. A lot of people talking about it, but I don't think GOM will be any better than Hannon at half-forward... he's just not a forward really, despite playing there for Kilmallock at times. And I don't think Hannon is an intercounty wing-back either.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fireball07 wrote: »

but I don't think GOM will be any better than Hannon at half-forward... he's just not a forward really, despite playing there for Kilmallock at times. And I don't think Hannon is an intercounty wing-back either.

We in KK were surprised when Cody picked Conor Fogarty at MF for the Galway replay as he had never played there at IC AFAIK. He played corner back against Dublin in 2013 and that didn't go too well. I think Fogarty has played well in that position and will retain it for the SF. Sometimes these unforeseen switches can have surprising outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Interesting is one way of putting it! I've always felt Hannon in the half back line is something that needs to be explored but I'm not so sure an All-Ireland quarter final is the right time to do that, and as for O'Mahony in the half forwards? I like him but there are players on the bench who are better suited for that position.

If we're sticking with the same 15 I'd nearly drop O'Grady back to centre back, push Wayne Mac onto the wing, Gavin into midfield and James Ryan into the half forward line. All four have played well in those positions before. That said, it would probably be madness to break up the Ryan Browne midfield partnership.

My idea, I floated it a few months ago was to play Tom Condon as a sweeper in around the half back line.
    I think the sweeper/3rd midfielder will be the way to stop the Wexford forwards gaining momentum.
    However, I wouldn't start the game with the sweeper/3rd man, instead implement it at various times throughout the match. Use it as a way of controlling the pace and tempo of the game. We can't allow Wexford let the crowd get into it especially early on.
    So if we take the 15 that are named are to be starting I think the ideal sweeper/3rd man would be Dodge. So the team formation would be as follows.

NQ
    TC RMcC SH

GOM WMcN POB
    DOG

PB JR

DB DH KD

SD GM

It gives Hannon the responsibility of being the man at centre forward. Too often he's left on the outside looking in instead of making things happen. It gives us the space in the inside forward line to use Mul's pace and Dowling's aerial prowess. But more importantly it gives stability to the centre where Wexford have gotten many goals from their attack.
    It's just an idea, reading Beary before the Munster final saying they need to have game plans and be flexible in the approach of a game. I hope this is what he means and not just swapping players positions for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Would ye not go 15/15 for 70min against a naive WX team?

That in itself would be very naive, as francozola touched on, a team needs to be flexible nowadays, need to be able to implement and counteract a number of different gameplans. Things could have turned out so differently last year had we have been more flexible v Clare in the semi, played right into their hands for 70 minutes. Patrick Donnellan probably couldn't believe his luck, we won him his All-Star that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Wexford have played a two man inside line in all their games I've seen so far. When tipp did the same that played into our hands as hickey not only marked their roving forward out of the game but had a big contribution himself out the field. If Wexford go with a two man inside line this might work to our advantage again.

I wouldn't go with a sweeper but I would like to see our half forward line, Dodge especially, play deeper out the field to give out half backs more cover and create space for our inside line.

Cross post with the match thread:

If Wexford win this it will be because Limerick beat themselves and in fairness most Limerick fans would always have a fear of this.

Plenty has been said about Limerick losing to Cork in Cork. I felt Limerick played quite well in Cork and the game was nip and tuck until the first Cork goal. Fair play to Cork they were deserved winners but lets not forget Cork had never lost a Munster Final in Cork (looked back as far as 1920 :o).

A lot has been said about Wexford in the media and in fairness to them they've been the story of the championship this year. But lets look at their performances so far:

Lost to Dublin down in Wexford park comprehensively enough 22 points to 1-14. That's 22 scores to 15. Granted it was the first game of the championship and may have been rusty but they had home advantage which I feel is worth about three points to a team (plenty said Limerick only won Munster last year because they had two home games:rolleyes:).

Next they went to Ennis and put in a great performance away from home against the All Ireland champions (who were comprehensively beaten by Cork in a neutral venue Thurles - a late goal put a bit of gloss on the scoreboard) but really should have closed the game out. They have a dangerous full forward line and they exposed the weaknesses in the Clare full back line early in the game to great effect to give them a strong foothold in the game. I'd give them great credit for getting the replay after extra time when it went back to 15 on 15.

The replay in Wexford park was a nervy encounter but how they didn't win in normal time with two extra men for more than 20 minutes I'll never know. Again, I would give them massive credit for winning in extra time. I really can't figure them out on this front. They seem to thrive on adversity.

They never looked like losing against Waterford but again they left Waterford in the game for long periods. How good was this Waterford team? They rattled Cork in May but in the replay Cork made a few changes and really cut loose on them. The Cork under 21s, who many on the Cork thread didn't hold out much of a candle for, beat Waterford 21s (who have numerous senior players) in Walsh park and most Waterford fans would acknowledge they wouldn't have much faith in their senior manager.

On paper Limerick should win this by 4 or 5 points but the game ain't played on paper. If Limerick have their heads right (it isn't Croker we're playing in so hopefully they should be) they should be too strong. Nonetheless I'm expecting a good battle with Limerick going into an early lead (I'm expecting TJ to try and create space early for our inside line and trying to get Mulcahy and Downes on the ball and going for early goals like KK did to us in 2007 to silence what will be a very large Wexford crowd) and controlling the game and seeing it out by 4 points. Luimneach abú!

• Advertisement

I'm hearing the team named during the week was 100% definitely not the final team and that they just resubmitted the Munster final selection for the sake of submitting a team for the match program. The actual team was supposedly announced the night after to the players. May well have ended up being the same anyway, although one player is supposedly an injury doubt.

Aside from that, a lot of conflicting rumours, although one rumour with a bit of substance is Hannon in the half back line, he played there in a recent challenge game, I personally don't see it happening, we'll know soon enough I suppose.

Til tomorrow, good luck to us all, Luimneach abú! :)

I'm hearing the team named during the week was 100% definitely not the final team and that they just resubmitted the Munster final selection for the sake of submitting a team for the match program. The actual team was supposedly announced the night after to the players. May well have ended up being the same anyway, although one player is supposedly an injury doubt.

Aside from that, a lot of conflicting rumours, although one rumour with a bit of substance is Hannon in the half back line, he played there in a recent challenge game, I personally don't see it happening, we'll know soon enough I suppose.

Til tomorrow, good luck to us all, Luimneach abú! :)

Interesting.

I do think Dodge would be a big loss, did very well in the 1st half the last day, always good for a score or two, and while not someone who will win every ball, he does challenge aerially and is capable of winning his own ball, or breaking it down. It would definitely weaken us in that department, not to mention his leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Great win today. Just double checking, we playing Kilkenny on Sunday 10th august in Croker for semi final?

Moment of the day was Richie Mcs substitution!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

panda100 wrote: »
    Great win today. Just double checking, we playing Kilkenny on Sunday 10th august in Croker for semi final?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

panda100 wrote: »

Yep, Waterford v Kilkenny on before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yep, Waterford v Kilkenny on before it.

Hill will go.on sale during the week id assume ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Will be bags of tickets. Kilkenny people won't be arsed to show up as they will expect to hammer us. Will be saving money for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Felt sorry for the Wexford players but NOT for their manager....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

slegs wrote: »
    Will be bags of tickets. Kilkenny people won't be arsed to show up as they will expect to hammer us. Will be saving money for the final

We will have plenty of fan's there don't worry. ;-)

And well done today very impressive, should be a great semi final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement