Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

slegs wrote: »
    Will be bags of tickets. Kilkenny people won't be arsed to show up as they will expect to hammer us. Will be saving money for the final

No, Kilkenny do not and will not expect to hammer Limerick. Kilkenny expect a do or die battle with no guarantees that we will win. Limerick will outnumber us but that has as much got to do with the respective populations of both counties as interest. Only a fool would expect to hammer Limerick. Brian Cody the Kilkenny selectors , the Kilkenny players and most Kilkenny followers are far from being fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Will be bags of tickets. Kilkenny people won't be arsed to show up as they will expect to hammer us. Will be saving money for the final

You forgot this...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

KK are 4/9 favs. The bookies expecting a close one judging by that. 2-3 point handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Mighty, best thins I heard today was TJ saying that he over trained them before cork, if our problems are that easily resolvable id be delighted, still wasn't happy with GOM at the start but he improved and if he takes confidence from that mightn't be too bad.

Dodgy will be ok for next day and don't think any of our injuries are too serious.

Hannon, hickey, jimbob, mulcahy all excellent.

Downes hit some awful wides(4), browney too.

We're playing KK which should keep the hype down, and we missed enough chances and could have conceded more that there's plenty to work on. We beat KK.

We beat KK.

When?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Professional performance out of Limerick today.
    I thought Tom Ryan slotted in well and Walsh, Tobin and King fitted in seamlessly when they arrived as well. Hannon, O'Mahoney & Paudie O'Brien gave it their all.
    What I like most of all about this team is their discipline, they are the dark horse.

citykat wrote: »

Last time we won the AI ;)

Rightwing wrote: »
    Last time we won the AI ;)

Seeing as it's so long ago I'll give you that. :D

Seeing as it's so long ago I'll give you that. :D

Same year a when we last beat Tipp in thurles. Thing is, even if we do beat KK, we'll still be underdogs in the final!

Rightwing wrote: »
    Same year a when we last beat Tipp in thurles. Thing is, even if we do beat KK, we'll still be underdogs in the final!

Whoever wins the AI this year is going to earn it. I agree with your comment (albeit from another thread) that the four best teams in the country are in the semis. IMO there's f***all between any of them. On their day they could all win or lose to each other. Todays pairings were total mismatches. The semis will be far tighter.

• Advertisement

Whoever wins the AI this year is going to earn it. I agree with your comment (albeit from another thread) that the four best teams in the country are in the semis. IMO there's f***all between any of them. On their day they could all win or lose to each other. Todays pairings were total mismatches. The semis will be far tighter.

Not much between them. KK prob the best, cork and tipp are evens, the bookies have it that way, and limk are 4th.

Hopefully the semis will be better, no entertainment at all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Not going to go into too much detail now, but that was a great win. People talked about us laying down a marker, and we did. Wexford weren't great today, but we totally dismantled them.

Still loads to work on, we hit some horrible horrible wides and lots of them. But we exposed their weaknesses, nullified their strengths and were deserving winners. Clinical, professional, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

The media will talk about Wexford as they struggle to hide their disappointment that the Wexford fairy tale is over.

Truth is the Limerick backs and midfield were outstanding. They didn't put a foot wrong all day. We didn't let Wexford play. 4 games in a row is hard but it's again a disrespect to Limerick to put the margin of victory down to that.

Our forwards were hit and miss but Dowling and Breen were very good again. Mulcahy and Hannon looked dangerous in spurts.

If Dowling played for Kilkenny we would never hear the end of it about skill and ability but because we are Limerick it will be all the usual 'heart and passion' patronising nonsense.

On the reverse you will have lads like Amprodude talking about games 20 years ago like that means anything to Dowling and Hannon who weren't even out of nappies. Limerick have a line of form over the last 3 years that shows development and bar Clare last year they have looked a match for anyone.

This Limerick team has earned the right to be respected as a top table hurling team. We may not beat Kilkenny but you know that we will give it one hell of a lash.

I can't wait for August 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The media will talk about Wexford as they struggle to hide their disappointment that the Wexford fairy tale is over.

Truth is the Limerick backs and midfield were outstanding. They didn't put a foot wrong all day. We didn't let Wexford play. 4 games in a row is hard but it's again a disrespect to Limerick to put the margin of victory down to that.

Our forwards were hit and miss but Dowling and Breen were very good again. Mulcahy and Hannon looked dangerous in spurts.

If Dowling played for Kilkenny we would never hear the end of it about skill and ability but because we are Limerick it will be all the usual 'heart and passion' patronising nonsense.

On the reverse you will have lads like Amprodude talking about games 20 years ago like that means anything to Dowling and Hannon who weren't even out of nappies. Limerick have a line of form over the last 3 years that shows development and bar Clare last year they have looked a match for anyone.

This Limerick team has earned the right to be respected as a top table hurling team. We may not beat Kilkenny but you know that we will give it one hell of a lash.

I can't wait for August 10

the way i see it , if it was kilkenny that put up a score line of 4-26 today with all the hype surrounding wexford , the bookies would be running for cover and the general attitude would be that there was no one in the country to beat them

limerick going into an all ireland semi final as under dogs will suite them down to the ground , the hype and expectation placed on there shoulders last year against us was unbelievable , i never seen anything like it , when clare got the goal with around 15mins gone you could hear a pin drop around croke park , and that had to have a massive impact on the players at the time

many people here think that if limerick started with there best 6 forwards that we would have struggled to beat ye and probably lost , this year the one thing that has to be credited to tj is he is picking his best hand all the time regardless of the opposition, and with that a massive chance to overturn kilkenny

on the negitive side , the game is on in croker , not a happy hunting ground at all for limerick , thurles is almost a home venue for ye and ye always perform there , clare are the opposite we can never seem to win down there but could always turn it on in croke park ,its something ye will have to get out of yer system,ye will have the luxury of making two trips in two weeks up there with the minors playing galway the following week

the way i see it , if it was kilkenny that put up a score line of 4-26 today with all the hype surrounding wexford , the bookies would be running for cover and the general attitude would be that there was no one in the country to beat them

limerick going into an all ireland semi final as under dogs will suite them down to the ground , the hype and expectation placed on there shoulders last year against us was unbelievable , i never seen anything like it , when clare got the goal with around 15mins gone you could hear a pin drop around croke park , and that had to have a massive impact on the players at the time

many people here think that if limerick started with there best 6 forwards that we would have struggled to beat ye and probably lost , this year the one thing that has to be credited to tj is he is picking his best hand all the time regardless of the opposition, and with that a massive chance to overturn kilkenny

on the negitive side , the game is on in croker , not a happy hunting ground at all for limerick , thurles is almost a home venue for ye and ye always perform there , clare are the opposite we can never seem to win down there but could always turn it on in croke park ,its something ye will have to get out of yer system,ye will have the luxury of making two trips in two weeks up there with the minors playing galway the following week

Thurles being a happy hunting ground is a relatively recent thing though so no reason why we cant change the Croke Park thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

1973:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ye will have the luxury of making two trips in two weeks up there with the minors playing galway the following week

when the dubs made both semis in 2011 they changed the schedule to have the minors on the same day, croke park are u listening :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

when the dubs made both semis in 2011 they changed the schedule to have the minors on the same day, croke park are u listening :cool:

If it wasn't the Kk minors they would change it I'd say

it would be a logistical nightmare trying to play two minor semi finals on the one day before the senior , i doubt kilkenny will be willing to swap either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

it would be a great idea trying to play two minor semi finals on the one day before the senior

fyp :pac:

give 500 tickets to galway and everything's sorted :)

edit: and 200 to waterford...

• Advertisement

Can't happen this time as Kilkenny minors will take priority unless they play both minor matches on same day

fyp :pac:

give 500 tickets to galway and everything's sorted :)

edit: and 200 to waterford...

given the amount of times galway play in croke park the novelty is gone , id say looking at last years semi final and final there was just about the players fathers and mothers ..........the odd girlfriend .......and the 20 or 30 degenerate lunatics that stalk the likes of cyrill farrell and mattie murphy in there spare time :eek:

croke park and under age success dont interest galway folk any more 50 would be enough for them;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Dowling was class today. That was duly acknowledged by everyone.

But I think some need to relax a bit about the team being under rated.

Last year they won Munster, and fairplay to them. They deserved to win it. There'll always be doubts about it though, such as the home advantage and the red card Horgan got which comes with the territory generally of any new team winning.

The only thing you can do to dispel those doubts is to win the all ireland, and unfortunately Limerick fell pretty tamely at the next hurdle.

This year the questioned were asked again and they duly delivered against Tipp. In a game though that they dominated, they still needed Dowling (or Mulcahy's) goal to get them back on terms very late in the game and at the other end I don't think Tipp took chances that they would on another day. Deserved win though.

In the Munster final, they were beaten by a better team though not a 6 point better team and could point to chances Dowling missed as opportunities that could have steered the game in a different direction.

Maybe it was unfair for people to be talking about Wexford winning today, but I guess we all like to jump on bandwagons sometimes. Take the independent tipping Laois to beat Waterford earlier in the year, for example.

In light of the result, it was impressive and Limerick deserve great credit but I don't particularly agree with the Clare man above that it's a joke that this hammering from Limerick should be viewed differently to a performance of a similar nature by Kilkenny.

Kilkenny have earned the hype that surrounds them. Just thinking about their record yesterday and I count in Cody's era that they have won 12/14 all-ireland semis and 9/12 finals (not including one drawn). That is phenomenal. What have Limerick achieved in that time?

So you can understand the different perceptions of both teams.

All that said, Limerick were excellent with room for improvement today and that is all anyone can ask for after and All-Ireland quarter final. I don't think Kilkenny are as good as they were even 3 years ago, so ye definitely have a chance and I think coming in from a quarter with another game under the belt is definitely a big advantage on what ye had to deal with last year.

Just saying that I think that ye could do with less of the outrage, and more just being happy to be in a semi final that ye've a good shot in as it is the best Limerick team I've seen since my first game funnily enough in 2001. Well done today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Mountainlad; I've looked at the posts preceding yours; how in the name of god have you managed to claim there is "outrage" here?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Mountainlad; I've looked at the posts preceding yours; how in the name of god have you managed to claim there is "outrage" here?!

Slegs seems continuously outraged Limerick aren't getting enough credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Jaysus I wouldn't say he's "outraged" by any stretch of the imagination! There's validity to what he's saying, but it's one side of an argument, you have touched on the opposing side.

Doesn't really matter if the team gets credit, in fact it's probably better that a team doesn't get the credit they feel they deserve because a lot of the time a team will genuinely gain extra motivation in the face of a perceived lack of respect/credit. I don't really get why teams buy into that "Nobody's giving us a chance, we'll show them" nonsense, but it seemed to be a major motivating factor ahead ahead of the Tipp game for Limerick this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Great win, will do some sort of report tommorrow but just enjoy it for now, fantastic day, evening, not too often we roll out of thurles complaining that we didnt get enough of a challenge.

Again, saw TJ's interview and he said he over trained in the run up to the game, good that he recognised/acknowledged that (allows me sleep easier:D), means we can still improve.

Not remotely concerned about downes he can turn that into a winning performance against KK.

Enjoy and well done lads

Is it too early for Tactical Jenius Ryan? :D Tbf to TJ, I think he got everything spot on today (as he would say himself), Hickey destroyed McGovern, our backs held their shape, our midfield out-worked theirs (that might have been down to the 4 weeks in a row tbf), Hannon to centre-forward was a masterstroke.... but where he found the ball-winning ability, pace and aggression that he didn't have 2 weeks ago, I don't know. He was super. He got Mulcahy & Dowling into the space, they were class... Downes' shooting was the one real black mark, but that's not TJ's problem, that's purely Downes, he needs to just set himself and go again.

I thought we were really really good. And we'll need to be even better to challenge KK, but I don't see why we can't beat them.

We were so fired up today, our touch was way better, there was real fire in their bellies, they all wanted to get the better of their opposite number and most of them did. Movement, work rate, fluidity, all that stuff clicked and if it wasn't for the number of wides, the margin could have been a lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

given the amount of times galway play in croke park the novelty is gone , id say looking at last years semi final and final there was just about the players fathers and mothers ..........the odd girlfriend .......and the 20 or 30 degenerate lunatics that stalk the likes of cyrill farrell and mattie murphy in there spare time :eek:

croke park and under age success dont interest galway folk any more 50 would be enough for them;)

id be inclined to agree with you on this. Its funny, galway didnt win their first all ireland minor until 1983, however the success mattie murphy and john hardiman had with them have made supporters spoilt.

I go to the majority of galway matches and will be there to support our minors too. However, ive always found galway hurling supporters to be particularly fickle and poor followers on the game. Galway footballers generally tend to be more positive and stick by the team that bit more. Thats just from my experience anyway.

Should be a good game. let the best team win!

PS i hope yer seniors go all the way. Ive had a great gra for limerick from my 4 years spent in UL!

• Advertisement

donnem33 wrote: »
    id be inclined to agree with you on this. Its funny, galway didnt win their first all ireland minor until 1983, however the success mattie murphy and john hardiman had with them have made supporters spoilt.

I go to the majority of galway matches and will be there to support our minors too. However, ive always found galway hurling supporters to be particularly fickle and poor followers on the game. Galway footballers generally tend to be more positive and stick by the team that bit more. Thats just from my experience anyway.

Should be a good game. let the best team win!

PS i hope yer seniors go all the way. Ive had a great gra for limerick from my 4 years spent in UL!

Hopefully will be a good game, was gutted about the minors last year, I really hope we don't fall again. We have an excellent minor team, as we did last year, and I would be very disappointed for them if they didn't make an All-Ireland final. Galway will be a threat, as they always are at this grade, but I think we have the hurlers this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement