Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i have to admit that i am very impressed with tj as manager, i taught with his slight inexperience at this level and how he was drafted in, in the first place would work against him and not to mention what happened after the league

that was a very honest interview today , but what ever about that he has limerick playing like real all ireland contenders and there should be nothing in it the next day, and in truth i dont think kilkenny have played any one close to ye in lenister this year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Dowling was class today. That was duly acknowledged by everyone.

But I think some need to relax a bit about the team being under rated.

Last year they won Munster, and fairplay to them. They deserved to win it. There'll always be doubts about it though, such as the home advantage and the red card Horgan got which comes with the territory generally of any new team winning.

The only thing you can do to dispel those doubts is to win the all ireland, and unfortunately Limerick fell pretty tamely at the next hurdle.

This year the questioned were asked again and they duly delivered against Tipp. In a game though that they dominated, they still needed Dowling (or Mulcahy's) goal to get them back on terms very late in the game and at the other end I don't think Tipp took chances that they would on another day. Deserved win though.

In the Munster final, they were beaten by a better team though not a 6 point better team and could point to chances Dowling missed as opportunities that could have steered the game in a different direction.

Maybe it was unfair for people to be talking about Wexford winning today, but I guess we all like to jump on bandwagons sometimes. Take the independent tipping Laois to beat Waterford earlier in the year, for example.

In light of the result, it was impressive and Limerick deserve great credit but I don't particularly agree with the Clare man above that it's a joke that this hammering from Limerick should be viewed differently to a performance of a similar nature by Kilkenny.

Kilkenny have earned the hype that surrounds them. Just thinking about their record yesterday and I count in Cody's era that they have won 12/14 all-ireland semis and 9/12 finals (not including one drawn). That is phenomenal. What have Limerick achieved in that time?

So you can understand the different perceptions of both teams.

All that said, Limerick were excellent with room for improvement today and that is all anyone can ask for after and All-Ireland quarter final. I don't think Kilkenny are as good as they were even 3 years ago, so ye definitely have a chance and I think coming in from a quarter with another game under the belt is definitely a big advantage on what ye had to deal with last year.

Just saying that I think that ye could do with less of the outrage, and more just being happy to be in a semi final that ye've a good shot in as it is the best Limerick team I've seen since my first game funnily enough in 2001. Well done today.

With regards to the bit in bold you see plenty of that in the Waterford and Cork gaa threads at time as well.Were all passionate about our counties and we will defend them to the hilt when we feel our teams aren't given their fair dues.There was a lot of hype about this Wexford team but Limerick blew them out of the water.Ignore this talk about Wexford falling apart.They didn't fall apart they were ripped apart by a far superior hurling team and it should have been a bigger winning margin by 24 points in the end.Of course no one will give Limerick a chance against Kilkenny but i think they'll give the cats one hell of a battle.Last year against Clare was a bad day at the office but Limerick were a better team than what they showed that day and i felt the 7 point winning margin was flattering to Clare.I think there's a huge performance in Limerick in a few weeks time.They had a good win today and there's plenty still to work on.It's the perfect place to be really.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

With regards to the bit in bold you see plenty of that in the Waterford and Cork gaa threads at time as well.Were all passionate about our counties and we will defend them to the hilt when we feel our teams aren't given their fair dues.There was a lot of hype about this Wexford team but Limerick blew them out of the water.Ignore this talk about Wexford falling apart.They didn't fall apart they were ripped apart by a far superior hurling team and it should have been a bigger winning margin by 24 points in the end.Of course no one will give Limerick a chance against Kilkenny but i think they'll give the cats one hell of a battle.Last year against Clare was a bad day at the office but Limerick were a better team than what they showed that day and i felt the 7 point winning margin was flattering to Clare.I think there's a huge performance in Limerick in a few weeks time.They had a good win today and there's plenty still to work on.It's the perfect place to be really.
    Of course it is the perfect position to be in. This is an excellent Limerick team but Limerick have to understand Kilkenny will not underrate them. Kilkenny expect and will get a great battle. Right now it is 50/50 and if the papers write anything else it will not be what Brian C0dy is saying or believes or any Kilkenny players for that matter. Kilkenny have achieved what they have achieved by not underrating the opposition. Limerick have earned respect, they will get the respect and kilkenny will be ready for one all mighty battle. If we are to win we will earn it. Don't blame Kilkenny for any sense of inferiority surrounding the Limerick team, that, if it exists is down to yourselves, your own supporters and your own scribes and to a large extent is a figment of your own imaginations. No one is going around disparaging Limerick not Cork, Tipp or Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Of course it is the perfect position to be in. This is an excellent Limerick team but Limerick have to understand Kilkenny will not underrate them. Kilkenny expect and will get a great battle. Right now it is 50/50 and if the papers write anything else it will not be what Brian C0dy is saying or believes or any Kilkenny players for that matter. Kilkenny have achieved what they have achieved by not underrating the opposition. Limerick have earned respect, they will get the respect and kilkenny will be ready for one all mighty battle. If we are to win we will earn it. Don't blame Kilkenny for any sense of inferiority surrounding the Limerick team, that, if it exists is down to yourselves, your own supporters and your own scribes and to a large extent is a figment of your own imaginations. No one is going around disparaging Limerick not Cork, Tipp or Kilkenny.

Im actually a Cork man!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe this isn't the thread to ask but I see on ticketmaster that only lower tier tickets are for sale for the semi-final. Will more tickets (upper tier) be made available soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Maybe this isn't the thread to ask but I see on ticketmaster that only lower tier tickets are for sale for the semi-final. Will more tickets (upper tier) be made available soon?
    Tickets.ie tend to sell them in blocks and make other sections available nearer the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Dowling was class today. That was duly acknowledged by everyone.

But I think some need to relax a bit about the team being under rated.

Last year they won Munster, and fairplay to them. They deserved to win it. There'll always be doubts about it though, such as the home advantage and the red card Horgan got which comes with the territory generally of any new team winning.

The only thing you can do to dispel those doubts is to win the all ireland, and unfortunately Limerick fell pretty tamely at the next hurdle.

This year the questioned were asked again and they duly delivered against Tipp. In a game though that they dominated, they still needed Dowling (or Mulcahy's) goal to get them back on terms very late in the game and at the other end I don't think Tipp took chances that they would on another day. Deserved win though.

In the Munster final, they were beaten by a better team though not a 6 point better team and could point to chances Dowling missed as opportunities that could have steered the game in a different direction.

Maybe it was unfair for people to be talking about Wexford winning today, but I guess we all like to jump on bandwagons sometimes. Take the independent tipping Laois to beat Waterford earlier in the year, for example.

In light of the result, it was impressive and Limerick deserve great credit but I don't particularly agree with the Clare man above that it's a joke that this hammering from Limerick should be viewed differently to a performance of a similar nature by Kilkenny.

Kilkenny have earned the hype that surrounds them. Just thinking about their record yesterday and I count in Cody's era that they have won 12/14 all-ireland semis and 9/12 finals (not including one drawn). That is phenomenal. What have Limerick achieved in that time?

So you can understand the different perceptions of both teams.

All that said, Limerick were excellent with room for improvement today and that is all anyone can ask for after and All-Ireland quarter final. I don't think Kilkenny are as good as they were even 3 years ago, so ye definitely have a chance and I think coming in from a quarter with another game under the belt is definitely a big advantage on what ye had to deal with last year.

Just saying that I think that ye could do with less of the outrage, and more just being happy to be in a semi final that ye've a good shot in as it is the best Limerick team I've seen since my first game funnily enough in 2001. Well done today.

There is no one outraged and no one is getting carried away. What I said is true. Read the media today, most commentary about Wexford/4 weeks/Bridge too far etc. No one happier than me that we are in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Will try and watch back on the player but only 3 real concerns for next day

Have we a half back line to cope with KK, GOM was still poor when the game was a contest yesterday, i dont think he should start the next day, WW could take him to the cleaners. Happy with how Wayne mac is playing though, he's improving all the time esp since he's cut out the stupid runs. Lovely (wristy) point and liked the way he came in and read the riot act to the FB line when richie went off. POB was at fault for their goal im still not sure how he's going to cope against KK.

Downes and Browne and accuracy in general, we pi*sed away the cork game in the first 20 and done the same yesterday, but for the opposition it could have cost us. Our accuracy last year was excellent, need to get back to that standard.

Breen, won great ball, but he just puts his head down and runs, he never looks up, he fouled the ball for the first when he only needed to lay it off to an unmarked mulcahy, no need to catch again. His second shot was a poor effort, it went in but a better keeper stops that again mul was unmarked at the back post. Third shot was poor, keeper stops it but we werew lucky to have dowling to knock it in. Needs to get his head up, he done the same a couple of times to beat cork. The managemnt have sorted wayne macs stupid runs out, they need to tell breen to get his head up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I think anyone hoping for changes the next day is going to be disappointed, only change will be O'Grady back in for Ryan. I'd still have concerns about the wing backs but we just have to hope and trust that their improved performances yesterday will enable them to push on and get back to their best.

Richie McCarthy is some man. I don't think I need to say any more.

Really happy for Wayne McNamara, still not perfect, but the man's attitude is outstanding, and he works very hard in training and so on. He's been frustrating in the past and his first touch was particularly questionable at first, but there's a reason successive managers kept picking him.

The Ryan-Browne midfield partnership is the real key to this team at the moment in my opinion, work very well together and cover some amount of ground.

I think anyone hoping for changes the next day is going to be disappointed, only change will be O'Grady back in for Ryan. I'd still have concerns about the wing backs but we just have to hope and trust that their improved performances yesterday will enable them to push on and get back to their best.

Richie McCarthy is some man. I don't think I need to say any more.

Really happy for Wayne McNamara, still not perfect, but the man's attitude is outstanding, and he works very hard in training and so on. He's been frustrating in the past and his first touch was particularly questionable at first, but there's a reason successive managers kept picking him.

The Ryan-Browne midfield partnership is the real key to this team at the moment in my opinion, work very well together and cover some amount of ground.

Agree with that, and yeah think it will be the same team again, but it will be hannon at 11 surely, with tomas ryan to come in on walter walsh if GOM is getting hosed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

A settled team is what we need. Yesterdays match was good and bad. Good for confidence, but Wexford were worse than an average club team.

Clare must really have been a fluke last year to be beaten by wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

I would not change the team, I'd hold Dodge in reserve he's not a full 70 mins player any more and the lads don't want to sub him for among other things the calmness he gives to the rest, IMO I'd prefer the dynamism that Tom Ryan brings mixed in with Breen and Hannon on the 40. Bring Dodge and Tobin on with 20-25 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

paddy no 11
    Dodgy will be ok for next day and don't think any of our injuries are too serious.

What is the latest news on Shane Dowling's hand injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Just going to throw down a few points on yesterday.

Firstly, delighted to be back in the semi final this year. I'd have taken any victory yesterday but it was very pleasing to put in a performance like yesterday against a team like Wexford. We don't ever really give any team a trimming so that was satisfying enough.

Was extremely happy with the hunger our forwards showed in the first half. Some of the hooking and blocking and the pressure play was exceptional. We forced Wexford into a lot of mistakes and we took some of our scores very well along with hitting some incredibly bad wides.

I thought our half back line was in trouble after 15 minutes as Wexford were getting a bit of joy when they ran at us. They started to get on top soon after and when Wexford hit their bad wides and missed their goal chance I felt the result was never in doubt.

Very happy with Hannon's performance. He really got involved in the game and won some important frees. A good performance from him so I was delighted for the lad. Hopefully he can kick on and put in a performance against Kilkenny. Mulcahy has found some form. Great effort from him and I felt he was our best man against Cork. Dowling got some lovely scores. He has some ability in fairness to him and leaves us all think what might have been had he actually started against Clare last year. Downes won some good ball but he hit some very bad wides and he'll be disappointed with them.

Full back line put in a very accomplished performance again with Hickey having a great day in the corner.

Very happy for TJ. Not many expected us to be here after the Donal O'Grady episode at the start of the year but the way we reacted to that shows the hunger and drive that's in the squad. We have to believe now that we can go and beat Kilkenny. It'll be a big day out in Croke park with a massive crowd and it's set up for us to have a right crack off Kilkenny. Luimneach abú

Just watched first half back, GOM was very poor, it would be a mistake to start him the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Rightwing wrote: »
    A settled team is what we need. Yesterdays match was good and bad. Good for confidence, but Wexford were worse than an average club team.

Clare must really have been a fluke last year to be beaten by wexford.

You don't win all Irelands by fluking your way to handling Liam Mccarthy.
    Clare have regressed big time from a sharp peak last August and Sept. Lots can change in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Just watched first half back, GOM was very poor, it would be a mistake to start him the next day

From a neutral perspective Limericks wing backs would be a worry. Any half back would want to be in top form facing into TJ Reid. Neither O Brien nor O Mahoney are currently in top form

Hidalgo wrote: »
    From a neutral perspective Limericks wing backs would be a worry. Any half back would want to be in top form facing into TJ Reid. Neither O Brien nor O Mahoney are currently in top form

Agreed, watched the whole thing both were very poor, GOM was every bit as lethargic as he was against cork, guiney was able to move away from him, cleaned out under high ball. POB got taken for 3 points by O'Keefee for 3 points and contributed little, at least tried to play in low ball but it was inaccurate.

Wayne mac was also ropey in the first 15, the naivety for the chance that fell to doran was ridiculous 2 players rushing to the man in posession, leaving doran unmarked.

Seriously concerned, i would not start GOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

The main conclusion to be drawn from yesterday's match is that the best thing to happen to Limerick hurling this year was getting rid of OGrady as manager.

A few shrewd people said at the time that his departure was a blessing in disguise and they were absolutely right. Whatever the players and management achieve this year massive credit is due for how they handled that situation and moved on from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Thoughts on each player:

Quaid- I'd be one of the people who would like to see him moved outfield, because I think he could be the answer to our half-back problems, and Aaron Murphy is a fine keeper. But he's just so reliable in goal, safe as a house under the high ball, never loses the ball, his puck-outs were top class yesterday, made most saves he had to make and couldn't do anything about the goal. Excellent again. 8/10.

Condon- Wexford didn't really threaten much inside, Condon was a lot more solid than he was against Cadogan. Couple of mistakes but I wouldn't worry about him. 7/10.

McCarthy- The best full-back in the country at the moment. McDonald had some joy when he moved out to centre-forward, I think he scored 1 off McCarthy, but Richie was dominant. So strong, a very intelligent hurler. Okay, the ball in wasn't always the greatest, but he was excellent. And his block with his head, and being subbed off to a rousing reception. Class. 8/10.

Hickey- He even out-did McCarthy. McGovern had been identified as one of the biggest threats, he caused huge problems for Clare in particular, getting Browne sent off. Hickey completely cleaned him out, was a fantastic display of corner-back play. Everything went right for him- in the air, on the ground, in possession. Class. 9/10.

O'Brien- I thought he was a bit better than the last day but Diarmuid O'Keeffe did cause us problems on that side and he made a horrific error for the goal. Was mostly good on the ball. Still wouldn't be against a switch, but seems unlikely now. 6/10.

Wayne- Bit shaky early on, McDonald scored 2 points when he moved out to centre-forward and he let Podge Doran escape too easily. But scored a wonder point, and is so strong. I think he did well, but can do better. Definitely think he's more suited to the wing than the centre, but he's not going to be moved at this stage. 7/10.

Gavin- A few people are saying he was very weak, I watched the game back and thought he was okay. Not brilliant, not at his best, but better. Made a couple of excellent interceptions. Would still worry about him in the air or tracking the movement of someone like TJ Reid. But he did better. 7/10.

Jim-Bob- What a man he is, an absolute warrior. Again, covers so much ground... if Hogan, Kearney & Walsh weren't all in top form too, I'd be saying both our midfielders would be shoo-ins for All-Stars, but there is so much quality in that area these days. One bad wide, but 2 good points, some great hard running. His move back to midfield has worked excellently for us. 9/10.

Browne- Brilliant performance from him too, again hit a couple of bad wides, scored one good point, and took his goal well. But he uses the ball so intelligently, he's always there as an option to pass to and if we are to go further, he'll be key. 9/10.

Breen- Wiped Ciaran Kenny out, showing aerial prowess that we wouldn't always associate with him. Very hard to stop when he gets going too... scored 1 goal, directly assisted 2... probably should have had another if he didn't make the basic error of catching the ball 3 times. In excellent form, and brings balance to our forwards. One of his best displays for Limerick. 9/10.

Hannon- Also class, the move to centre-forward was a master-stroke by TJ and he can't be moved from there now, even if it is Brian Hogan he's up against. He couldn't catch a ball and wasn't fighting for it the last day, but he won a few great balls against a Wexford half-back line which had been known for its aerial ability. Scored 0-4, picked up the space well, could have had a goal or two... put his body on the line as well a couple of times, and showed the commitment we need. 9/10.

Ryan- He did well. Worked very hard, has a huge engine and his defensive contribution in the first half was superb, made one great intervention in particular. Hit a couple of bad wides, but finished with 0-3. He's not a forward tbf to him, and he's unlucky not to be starting at wing-back, because you'd imagine Dodge will be back the next day. 8/10.

Downes- Oh Downesy..... such a frustrating day for him. 5 times I think he did brilliantly to beat his man and set up what looked like a fairly handy score. And 5 times he put the ball wide. I don't think he's suited to playing in the corner tbh, but he still should be doing better. The fact that he's winning the ball, doing the work, and beating his man is good... but sometimes he takes the wrong option, and then his confidence must have taken a beating, because he missed some easy chances. He's probably the forward most in danger of losing his place now, but still a threat..... hard to know what to do... 5/10.

Dowling- Absolutely class. 2-3 from play, unerring from frees, his handpass to Breen for the 1st goal was genius. 2 real poacher's finishes, unlucky not to get a hat-trick (great intervention by Ryan). He's not the quickest, but he's very very smart, he's able to create space for himself, he creates chances for others and when he gets the ball in hand, he's lethal. Did miss a few chances and that's something to work on. 9/10.

Mulcahy- My man-of-the-match was Mulcahy, because I think he tortured Ryan. Broke some amount of ball for a small guy, he's impossible to stop, and he'll be frustrated he didn't score more. Set up a huge amount, but went for goal a few times when it wasn't on... I know the game was over, but he should have just taken his points. Great to see him in this kind of form though, he caused major problems for KK in 2012, I hope he'll do so again. 9/10.

Tobin was class from the bench, scored 0-3, won some great ball, did lay down a marker but I imagine TJ will opt against throwing him in, he's just not as physically strong as Downesy. Walsh was very solid again.... I would be in favour of bringing him into the corner (even if his mistake against KK in 2012 really killed us). Moran was very quiet, looked rusty. Tommy O'Brien didn't touch the ball, which was a real pity, because he's so pacy and a threat with ball in hand. King didn't have much time tbh.

A great win... I know Wexford weren't good, but we obliterated them in the 1st half, all the match-ups went our way, we played a really good style of hurling that suited the players we have. It won't be as easy against KK, but that was promising. Still need the few tweaks... half-back is still a major problem, and how do we contain Richie Hogan? But still... to have Dowling, Hannon, Breen & Mul in that form is just great, and Dodge to come back.

• Advertisement

Im going to totally disagree with you on the half backs. We lost v cork because of them, and in the first 20 yesterday when the game was on they were well beaten (GOM being very poor again). It'll be a shame to leave an all ireland behind us because of something that is so obvious. Every other line on the field is good enough to beat Kilkenny, this line are currently underperforming and unless there's a massive turnaround in form we wont hold reid and walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

grimbergen wrote: »
    The main conclusion to be drawn from yesterday's match is that the best thing to happen to Limerick hurling this year was getting rid of OGrady as manager.

A few shrewd people said at the time that his departure was a blessing in disguise and they were absolutely right. Whatever the players and management achieve this year massive credit is due for how they handled that situation and moved on from it.

Wonder what Thinkstoomuch thinks of that now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Im going to totally disagree with you on the half backs. We lost v cork because of them, and in the first 20 yesterday when the game was on they were well beaten (GOM being very poor again). It'll be a shame to leave an all ireland behind us because of something that is so obvious. Every other line on the field is good enough to beat Kilkenny, this line are currently underperforming and unless there's a massive turnaround in form we wont hold reid and walsh.

+1.

Mr Cody will be very happy with what he saw from our half back line Sunday- How we perform there is the winning and losing of this game as I have no worries about any other line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

grimbergen wrote: »

I agree, he was quite a poor appointment, but he did some good in his first spell in charge. No question about that.

We need luck v KK, but similar to last year, we can win the AI this year if things go our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Will try and watch back on the player but only 3 real concerns for next day

Have we a half back line to cope with KK, GOM was still poor when the game was a contest yesterday, i dont think he should start the next day, WW could take him to the cleaners. Happy with how Wayne mac is playing though, he's improving all the time esp since he's cut out the stupid runs. Lovely (wristy) point and liked the way he came in and read the riot act to the FB line when richie went off. POB was at fault for their goal im still not sure how he's going to cope against KK.

Downes and Browne and accuracy in general, we pi*sed away the cork game in the first 20 and done the same yesterday, but for the opposition it could have cost us. Our accuracy last year was excellent, need to get back to that standard.

Breen, won great ball, but he just puts his head down and runs, he never looks up, he fouled the ball for the first when he only needed to lay it off to an unmarked mulcahy, no need to catch again. His second shot was a poor effort, it went in but a better keeper stops that again mul was unmarked at the back post. Third shot was poor, keeper stops it but we werew lucky to have dowling to knock it in. Needs to get his head up, he done the same a couple of times to beat cork. The managemnt have sorted wayne macs stupid runs out, they need to tell breen to get his head up.

Agree on the wing backs. Wayne was was solid. Condon had some ropey moments too which is a worry.

I'm not worried about Downes. His touch is perfect, his fielding and workrate are superb, he is doing all the most difficult work for a forward at his ease. His eye will come in for shooting. Maybe he needs to take a little more out of the ball on occasion and either draw a free or get within better range. He had a super block down on a Wexford defender at one stage, the Wexford defender won the ball back and layed it off to a support player, Downes chased him down, blocked him, turned the ball over and then unfortunately struck it wide. It was a poor wide but the winning of that ball in the first place was outrageously good. He'll be fine for kk.

Was fuming with Breen for the third catch, but seeing the replay it looks like he might have just lost control of the ball and caught it as a reaction rather than intentionally. He should have passed to Mulcahy on his first goal too though. Still if he performs like that again I won't quibble if he misses a pass.

Agree.

We have to keep Hannon at 11 now surely, so hopefully Dodge comes back in on the wing. He's a better man to work back than Hannon anyway so hopefully he and Breen can work back a lot and provide some cover for our half backs.

Agree on the wing backs. Wayne was was solid. Condon had some ropey moments too which is a worry.

I'm not worried about Downes. His touch is perfect, his fielding and workrate are superb, he is doing all the most difficult work for a forward at his ease. His eye will come in for shooting. Maybe he needs to take a little more out of the ball on occasion and either draw a free or get within better range. He had a super block down on a Wexford defender at one stage, the Wexford defender won the ball back and layed it off to a support player, Downes chased him down, blocked him, turned the ball over and then unfortunately struck it wide. It was a poor wide but the winning of that ball in the first place was outrageously good. He'll be fine for kk.

Was fuming with Breen for the third catch, but seeing the replay it looks like he might have just lost control of the ball and caught it as a reaction rather than intentionally. He should have passed to Mulcahy on his first goal too though. Still if he performs like that again I won't quibble if he misses a pass.

Agree.

We have to keep Hannon at 11 now surely, so hopefully Dodge comes back in on the wing. He's a better man to work back than Hannon anyway so hopefully he and Breen can work back a lot and provide some cover for our half backs.

Downes playing great, just shooting off balance needs to settle and he'll be MOTM the next day.

Your right on breen, he stepped left and the ball was too close so he caught when he couldnt strike, still mulcahy was unmarked if he looked up he'd have seen him and could have tapped the ball across to him for an easy goal, its getting serious now, some criticism might seem petty but they'll all count for the next 2 games

Yeah Hannon 11, dodge 10 (would be Ryan 7 for me but TJ will go same again)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Does anyone know if you can pick your seat location i.e. block and row on the SuperValu ticket interface or is it the same as tickets.ie where you can only pick the stand and the block is whatever they are selling at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

slegs wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can pick your seat location i.e. block and row on the SuperValu ticket interface or is it the same as tickets.ie where you can only pick the stand and the block is whatever they are selling at that time?

No you can't pick the seat.

• Advertisement

One thing in relation to O'Grady/TJ... O'Grady did great work with us in 2011, he got us set after a disastrous year. But I don't think he should have come back in the 1st place, I'm not sure he ever wanted it, and he's perhaps a bit too stubborn with regard to his style of play. Limerick have some players suited to playing how he wanted, but others need more direct ball. It may have come good, it mightn't have, but so far TJ does seem to be playing a nice mix of styles that suits us. I would have liked an experienced coach to come into to join the group, but they seem to be doing fairly well... just being a bit quicker on the sideline would be my main complaint. But we're doing better than I'd have thought after Galway hammered us in the league, we were awful that day.

I didn't think they were great against Wexford, but I thought they were much better than the previous 2 days.

I'd still swap the 2 of them for Hickey & Tom Ryan, but I can't see that happening after he didn't make the changes after the Munster final. The talk of Hannon switching back there, or possibly even Breen didn't happen either... I just don't think he trusts others there yet. It could be costly alright.

Downes playing great, just shooting off balance needs to settle and he'll be MOTM the next day.

Your right on breen, he stepped left and the ball was too close so he caught when he couldnt strike, still mulcahy was unmarked if he looked up he'd have seen him and could have tapped the ball across to him for an easy goal, its getting serious now, some criticism might seem petty but they'll all count for the next 2 games

Yeah Hannon 11, dodge 10 (would be Ryan 7 for me but TJ will go same again)

Agreed on Hannon centre-forward, Dodge & Breen wing-forwards for now. But if Downes holds his place, he cannot afford to be as wayward again... you can't miss easy chances like those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement