Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Browney7 wrote: »
    In before the Dubs start preaching that Croker is a neutral venue :D

For the record. Cusack park is not an easy spot to go to to get a result but sure we beat them in the first game there so hopefully we can go and win there again.

The croker thing probably holds a bit more validity for the hurlers in fairness but it still is stretching it.

Agree re. Cusack Park, without trying to insult any Clare folk it is a dump and is not fit to hold inter-county senior hurling games tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Careful now, Cusack Park is a great stadium, after all it has an Aldi and a Tesco right next to it, you're just concentrating on the cr@p facilities, the terrible wire, the awful galvanise roof, the river on 1 side, the lack of shops, the lack of exits. I like to think that the Millienium Stadium was modelled after Cusack Park

Clareman wrote: »
    Careful now, Cusack Park is a great stadium, after all it has an Aldi and a Tesco right next to it, you're just concentrating on the cr@p facilities, the terrible wire, the awful galvanise roof, the river on 1 side, the lack of shops, the lack of exits. I like to think that the Millienium Stadium was modelled after Cusack Park

LOL yeah your're probably right, I like the playing field that has the dimensions of a pool table the best though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The pitch is actually too big, when it's put out to the edges it's maximum regulation width (1 of the few pitches that is), Clare teams normally narrow the pitch cause it suits the teams more. The pitch is also actually a very good surface, it's 1 of the few positives about the place (besides the location of course).

Anyway, we shouldn't be taking a Limerick GAA thread off topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The pitch is actually too big, when it's put out to the edges it's maximum regulation width (1 of the few pitches that is), Clare teams normally narrow the pitch cause it suits the teams more. The pitch is also actually a very good surface, it's 1 of the few positives about the place (besides the location of course).

I'm actually a fan of Cusack Park myself, have had some bad days there following the county, but I've been to a few Clare county finals down the years and its a good place for a hurling match, pitch has usually been in good nick, and a good atmosphere to be had too. There's something very old fashioned about Cusack Park that appeals to me, can't quite put my finger on it! Could do with a bit of modernisation in the odd place alright but it ain't the worst!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A very good win for the Limerick minor hurlers tonight - beating Cork 2-14 V 0-12
    There is obviously a good crop of hurlers around for ye - the recent harty wins prove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

It's only ever been narrowed once as far as I can remember but it worked that day alright. Very big field in fairness. An old fashioned spot but a great place for a game like the one at the weekend. If it's tight the atmosphere should be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A very good win for the Limerick minor hurlers tonight - beating Cork 2-14 V 0-12
    There is obviously a good crop of hurlers around for ye - the recent harty wins prove this.

Thanks for that Shamobuc. Limerick's first in in donkey's years against a team other than Kerry. Yeah reasons for optimism alright but optimism is a sign of insanity in Limerick fans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

ya, here is hoping that we do the business this weekend :)

Is it just me or does their touch appear to be awful? Not a great performance so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Great last few minutes from limerick. cracking goal too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm only listening on radio, but they seem to be a much fitter team. 95fm's Liam Ahern nearly had an orgasm when Downes scored the forth goal.

Great finish. Showed a bit of heart. Hannons goal was crucial. Silverware at last. Great stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Gwan Limerick :D Delighted with division 1 hurling next year. Although as browney said, their first touch was poor at times.

I finally got to be on the pitch for a trophy presentation, twas epic :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for ye - I thought ye needed a good cork man in charge to sort ye out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Delighted for ye - I thought ye needed a good cork man in charge to sort ye out;)
    Well, he definitely has the players and enthusiasm. There are some smashing young guys coming through the ranks now - Kevin Downes, Sean Tobin, Graeme Mulcahy, Brendan O'Connor, Declan Hannon, Jack Aherne, Shane Dowling - i know Cork folk should be familiar with Dowling after last Wednesday nights minor game ;) Ard Scoil Rís' Harty Cup wins have given a huge boost to hurling in the county. Mix this with the other more established guys like Seamus Hickey, Donal O'Grady and Damien Reale and it makes for a very solid team.

Yes there's lots of work to be done on the first touch, but they showed a nice variety in their play last night, mixing long and short passing. I've been Tom Condon's biggest critic, i never thought he was in any way good enough for inter-county standard. He made me eat my words last night with as good a display as you will see from a corner back. I'm loathe to say it, but i think Stephen Lucey needs to be brought back to the number 3 position, Gavin O'Mahony is not really suited to full back and does his best hurling on the forty.

Really looking foward to the championship now.

We need o Mahoney out half back. Breen was very poor in that position against Clare. I've always felt Wayne mac wasn't good enough for intercounty hurling and I still think that. An all Ireland quarter final would be an accomplishment with this young team I think

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0517/limerick_galvinj.html

In serious trouble if Galvin misses the semi. Hope to God he will be alright for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Lads reckon Limerick have a great chance of winning a munster title this year.Waterfords record against Limerick is nothing to write home about and it is going to be a tight match.If ye can get the breaks in the last few minutes i think ye can turn them over. Once in a munster final no tema will fancy meeting ye. My darkhorse for munster title this year.

Jeddah wrote: »
    Lads reckon Limerick have a great chance of winning a munster title this year.Waterfords record against Limerick is nothing to write home about and it is going to be a tight match.If ye can get the breaks in the last few minutes i think ye can turn them over. Once in a munster final no tema will fancy meeting ye. My darkhorse for munster title this year.

Ah yeah the Waterford boys trying the auld mind games ;) Waterford will relish playing Limerick, recent records mean nothing as this is a very different Limerick team, and tbh if you asked any of the three teams in the other side of the draw which team they would prefer to play in a munster final im sure they would all nominate Limerick.

O'Grady is doing a fantastic job to date dont get me wrong but there is very little doubt that Limerick are fourth in the pecking order as things stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Lads reckon Limerick have a great chance of winning a munster title this year..

Poor attempt, you'd think Fitzy would do better than this! :P

It is my honest opinion that Limerick are in with a right shout. They will relish the underdog tag and im sure O Grady will have his tactics worked out well. Believe me Waterford are looking no further ahead than Limerick.Waterford are not capable of really putting away teams at the moment so i think it will come down to the last 10 mins or so.

Galvin has done his cruciate. Awful news that he will miss the season now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

So its kerry for the Munster Semi Final! I feel so sorry for John Galvin,Im sure sitting on the sidelines nursing an injury is the last place he wants to be.

panda100 wrote: »
    So its kerry for the Munster Semi Final! I feel so sorry for John Galvin,Im sure sitting on the sidelines nursing an injury is the last place he wants to be.

A big loss to the team, lovely footballer. Limerick are well capable
    of causing problems for Kerry. Midfield is the key area. If Kerry are losing that battle they will move Donaghy out, which really weakens the scoring capability and the type of ball that the Kerry lads will be able to play in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It is my honest opinion that Limerick are in with a right shout. They will relish the underdog tag and im sure O Grady will have his tactics worked out well. Believe me Waterford are looking no further ahead than Limerick.Waterford are not capable of really putting away teams at the moment so i think it will come down to the last 10 mins or so.

I don't think we were ever good at that!

I don't think we were ever good at that!

Ah there were 1 or 2 matchs , Tipp 02 , Clare 04 , Tipp 06 , Cork 07 , Limerick 07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ah there were 1 or 2 matchs , Tipp 02 , Clare 04 , Tipp 06 , Cork 07 , Limerick 07

Ok Tipp 02 and Clare 04 and Limerick 07, but we only bet Tipp by three in 2006, Cork by three in 2007 in both games. There were plenty of games we should have won by more, and some we should have won that we lost. It's always been the way.

I think we'll beat Limerick by about 5. Limerick are coming good and I'm delighted to see it but the experience isn't really there and they've been playing Division Two hurling all year.

Well lads. Many of ye heading to the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday evening. I hope they get a bit of a crowd but they are up against it without John Galvin. I think they will come up short again but I don't think Kerry are the team they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Dunno if I'll go...I really want to but it may not be possible.

It'll be a tough one, especially without Galvin but there's always a small chance. Kerry may underestimate us without him but Tom Lee had an excellent league and if Jim Donovan and him are fit, we'll definitely win ball in midfield.

I think they'll have too much for us, sadly, but we didn't deserve to get relegated and may actually have a good qualifier run this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement