Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Originally Posted by paddy no 11 View Post

Im going to totally disagree with you on the half backs. We lost v cork because of them, and in the first 20 yesterday when the game was on they were well beaten (GOM being very poor again). It'll be a shame to leave an all ireland behind us because of something that is so obvious. Every other line on the field is good enough to beat Kilkenny, this line are currently underperforming and unless there's a massive turnaround in form we wont hold reid and walsh.

That is some statement if true, and if true we will lose by even more than Wexford did. Could happen I suppose, I doubt it but it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Originally Posted by paddy no 11 View Post

Im going to totally disagree with you on the half backs. We lost v cork because of them, and in the first 20 yesterday when the game was on they were well beaten (GOM being very poor again). It'll be a shame to leave an all ireland behind us because of something that is so obvious. Every other line on the field is good enough to beat Kilkenny, this line are currently underperforming and unless there's a massive turnaround in form we wont hold reid and walsh.

That is some statement if true, and if true we will lose by even more than Wexford did. Could happen I suppose, I doubt it but it could happen.

I said good enough not will.

There good enough, some will win, some gain parity, some lose. Overall im confident we'll give ye a very good game. Id predict a narrow win for us if i had confidence in our half backs. No need to be so excitable and look for stuff thats not there

I said good enough not will.

There good enough, some will win, some gain parity, some lose. Overall im confident we'll give ye a very good game. Id predict a narrow win for us if i had confidence in our half backs. No need to be so excitable and look for stuff thats not there

I have no doubt you can win this game. I have no doubt we will have to win more than 50% of the battles which will be a tall order and I have no doubts that if picked our half backs i.e Holden, Hogan and Buckley will have to perform to the very highest level just as your half backs will have to do as well. I have great faith in Ritchie Hogan but don't know enough about our man Fogarty in the middle but if he can break even then we should shade the midfield. Forget about running our full back line off the field, teams have been trying that for over ten years, few if any have ever succeeded. Pace, pace will be there in abundance from Kilkenny especially in the forwards. There are few faster than Colin Fennelly, Walter Walsh, John or Ritchie Power, Aidan Fogarty and Padraigh Walsh. Henry and Larkin are slowing up a bit alright but they can still do damage. No I am afraid that neither team is capable of winning 4 of the 5 outfield lines no matter how well they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

I think this is a fascinating match.
    The Limerick team and setup are almost serene this year, there is no sense of panic whatever the situation, it's like as if any historical baggage has evaporated. I suspect John Allen may have influenced that, but whatever it is its liberated them and they are competing as well as I've seen a Limerick team compete.
    Kilkenny have ruled at the top for so long without ever becoming complacent.
    For the first time I wouldn't be apprehensive (for the Limerick team) facing them for the reason outlined above, In the c'ship to date I feel we have an edge in overall teamwork insofar as the load is more evenly distributed whereas with KK it seems as if 3 or 4 players have had to produce 5 star displays to compensate for others that have been below par. Of course that can still be enough at the end of the match but I'd prefer to get a 15 man performance from our men again and see where we wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

hello boys and girls.delighted with the win and i now think we have some chance to skin the cats. the intensity of our lads when we did not have the ball was deadly,we will need more against codys crowd but we have the tools,
    on the team well they did us proud,gom has came in for stick and i hope his game picks up we need him at his best.
    tj is doin a fine job and i know we will skin the cats limerick by 4
    lumineach abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

At least our 21s didn't get embarrassed to the same degree against Clare as Cork did. Clare were slightly better today, but we were a bit tighter defensively in the first half. Still doesn't excuse our performance, I don't think, I think that team had some good players, some who will go on to play senior.

I do think it's disappointing that our U-21 team from 2011, which had a lot of very young players for the grade, didn't do more at that level. It has produced a good few senior players alright- Hannon, Mulcahy, Dowling, Downes, Dempsey, Allis, etc. but most of those were underage again the following year.

Let's hope the minor teams of the last 2 years can do more up along the grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

I would imagine Limerick will line out v KK with one change. O'Grady in for T Ryan. I think O'Grady should come in but I would have T Ryan play at 5 or 7. Take your pick as both have been poor in the past two matches. 7 in my view being the more obvious one. Conceded alot of possession v Wexford, one which cost us a goal. Also I think Condon is a liability in the corner. Up front Downes needs to find his radar again. If he does Limerick will have a very good forward unit. He hit 4 very poor wides the last day and two terrible wides v Cork. Anyway, apart from all that, Limerick are going to be a massive challenge for KK. Limerick by 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

if they wast the amount of chanches as they have in the last two games, then its all over against kk, no teaam can afford that many wides when they reach the buisness end of a compition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

mickaleen wrote: »
    I would imagine Limerick will line out v KK with one change. O'Grady in for T Ryan. I think O'Grady should come in but I would have T Ryan play at 5 or 7. Take your pick as both have been poor in the past two matches. 7 in my view being the more obvious one. Conceded alot of possession v Wexford, one which cost us a goal. Also I think Condon is a liability in the corner. Up front Downes needs to find his radar again. If he does Limerick will have a very good forward unit. He hit 4 very poor wides the last day and two terrible wides v Cork. Anyway, apart from all that, Limerick are going to be a massive challenge for KK. Limerick by 2.

Couldn't agree on condon being a liability. Cadogan got great supply against him and was very little he could do. I think he's a very good corner back that can play a bit of ball

Agree on Tom Ryan, for sure, although I think Paudie was more at fault for the goal... whatever about the concession of possession, he should have cut it out. Ideally, we'd replace both imo- Hickey & Ryan coming in.

Would disagree about Condon... a liability? He's our best corner-back imo, got a tough time off Cadogan but he's better than Walsh, Carmody, King.

Obviously Downes needs to find his radar, his shooting the last day was woeful.

• Advertisement

Just a question. As some have said here TJ Reid has become Kilkenny's main man. It is probably a good thing that as far as I can see there is no one Limerick main man but if there is who would you consider to be that player. If TJ were to be injured before the game Kilkenny's price would drop like a stone so who would it be for Limerick. It need not necessarily be a forward. Don' worry about giving away secrets, Brian Cody does not read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just a question. As some have said here TJ Reid has become Kilkenny's main man. It is probably a good thing that as far as I can see there is no one Limerick main man but if there is who would you consider to be that player. If TJ were to be injured before the game Kilkenny's price would drop like a stone so who would it be for Limerick. It need not necessarily be a forward. Don' worry about giving away secrets, Brian Cody does not read this thread.

Shane Dowling undoubtedly. He has been given his first proper run in the side since 2012, and he has prospered greatly. Himself, Moran & Downes came off the bench last year to great effect but having him in the starting XV this year is a no brainer. His fitness alone has benefitted greatly from getting more time on the pitch. Very good at fielding high ball (he caught nearly every ball sent into him against Shane O'Neill in Munster Final), he's quite bulky and difficult to mark. He always shows well for the ball, good positional sense (his first goal against Wexford was a good example) and deadly from placed balls. He's also probably the only one of our forwards, along with Mulcahy who doesn't try to shoot from silly angles, he'll nearly always try to pick out a better placed team mate. After Dowling, I think its McCarthy, Ryan and Browne who are of most importance to the team.

You saw what not having a consistent free-taker did to us in last year's semi loss to Clare. Hannon missed his first 4 attempts and panic spread through the side. Clare sensed blood and duly took over. Dowling will ping them over from nearly anywhere. And any frees close to goal, you can expect him to go for the jugular, he has a rocket of a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Agree on Tom Ryan, for sure, although I think Paudie was more at fault for the goal... whatever about the concession of possession, he should have cut it out. Ideally, we'd replace both imo- Hickey & Ryan coming in.

Would disagree about Condon... a liability? He's our best corner-back imo, got a tough time off Cadogan but he's better than Walsh, Carmody, King.

Obviously Downes needs to find his radar, his shooting the last day was woeful.
    He did get a tough time off Cadogan but also against Wexford he was reckless on a number of occassions diving in to the tackle like an under 12. Luckily Wexford were so poor he got away with it. He needs to cut out that tendency to go too soon coz he doesn't have the pace to recover.

I would leave Hickey at 2 or 4 as bringing him out to 5 or 7 weakens the full back line considerably.

To the other poster who says Dowling is Limericks main man, to a certain extent I'd agree but for me its Wayne MacNamara. Why? I thought he was immense v Tipp and in the match v Cork he did a trojan amount of work trying to cover both wing backs, the same the last day v Wexford. He mightn't be your natural 6 but what he lacks in abililty/skill he certainly makes up for with grit, heart and determination. If he is having a good day then Dowling gets plenty of ball. Just my opinion. I'm sure if you asked another 5 lads they'd prob name a different player each.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I hear Kilkenny are flying it in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Just a question. As some have said here TJ Reid has become Kilkenny's main man. It is probably a good thing that as far as I can see there is no one Limerick main man but if there is who would you consider to be that player.
    Limerick have been performing as a unit so no main man as such (agreed Dowling has been a key man) if I was to pick out one player that can't be beaten or else it means big trouble I'd go for Wayne Mac, he's been a bulwark for us this year.

He did get a tough time off Cadogan but also against Wexford he was reckless on a number of occassions diving in to the tackle like an under 12. Luckily Wexford were so poor he got away with it. He needs to cut out that tendency to go too soon coz he doesn't have the pace to recover.

I would leave Hickey at 2 or 4 as bringing him out to 5 or 7 weakens the full back line considerably.

To the other poster who says Dowling is Limericks main man, to a certain extent I'd agree but for me its Wayne MacNamara. Why? I thought he was immense v Tipp and in the match v Cork he did a trojan amount of work trying to cover both wing backs, the same the last day v Wexford. He mightn't be your natural 6 but what he lacks in abililty/skill he certainly makes up for with grit, heart and determination. If he is having a good day then Dowling gets plenty of ball. Just my opinion. I'm sure if you asked another 5 lads they'd prob name a different player each.
    I won't disagree with you about Wayne Mac. He is the glue that is holding the half back line together at the moment. Bonner Maher got the better of him in Tipp game but he was very good in both Munster Final & Wexford game. He's cut out these silly solo runs down blind alleys that he was doing last year and is just letting the ball do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good to see ye back posting here grenache.

I agree Condon hasnt been at his best lately but he's been pulled out the field he's clearly more comfortable in the full back line. Needs to be more disciplined when he moves out cant be lunging in as someone else said.

Have to make at least one switch at half back. No room for emotions from here on, if a fella is off form he has to be replaced.

Agree wayne mac gives it 100%, but there's still some poor positional play.

Richie is our TJ reid equivalent no doubt, see the clusterfcuk that was our defence when he went off. Dowling, mulcahy, Jimbob and Hickey in that order are next imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Random request folks!!

On a stag next weekend, and we were thinking of dressing up the groom as an old-school Limerick hurling supporter (think the scene in the D'Unbelievables!) and looking for a retro, old-school Limerick jersey.

Does anyone know where we could source this?!

Stag is in Kilkenny next weekend...so very apt!!

I think TJ Reid has become Kilkenny's main forward, but I'm still more worried about trying to limit Richie Hogan, and think that if we can somehow keep him quiet, we'll have an excellent chance of winning.

Dowling is so important to us as grenache said... he's scored 3-6 from play in 3 games and is knocking over the frees. It's very unlikely he'll miss handy ones like Hannon did last year. We've found how to utilise him correctly and he's making things difficult for backs.

But I think our midfield duo of Jim-Bob/Browne are most important to how we currently play, top class.

Funnily enough I am one of the many but not the majority of Kilkenny supporters who would prefer to see Hogan at corner forward. We had to play him midfield in the absence of Mick Fennely who by all accounts is fit though maybe not match fit. I hear what you say about Dowling and would not disagree. I do think Breen is an exciting player when on form. We were kind of rough on Hickey when he was a young lad but look at him now he took his lesson and learned from it. I admire that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

grenache wrote: »
    He's also probably the only one of our forwards, along with Mulcahy who doesn't try to shoot from silly angles, he'll nearly always try to pick out a better placed team mate.

Mulcahy is a lovely hurler who doesn't get near enough credit and like you say he is also a clever hurler. His work rate is immense and he picks up a huge amount of breaking ball. I was watching back the 2012 Qtr final vs KK recently and Mulcahy was a real live wire whose pace caused a lot of problems for the Kilkenny defense.

Breen is another player who blows hot and cold but when he's on form he is a big asset. I think to beat KK Limerick will have to score goals and Mulcahy and Breen will be key to achieving that.

I do think it's probably harsh to single out some players over others, as they are working well as a unit.

If you took McCarthy out of the team, we'd be a lot weaker, because he is our only proper full-back. If you took Hickey out, we'd be weaker. If you took either Jim-Bob or Browne out, we'd definitely be weaker. And the same for Dowling, Mulcahy and Breen.

I wouldn't have said Breen is an "exciting hurler", he's probably not as naturally talented as the other forwards we have. But he's a big strong unit and he works very very hard... very hard to stop when he gets running at a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I hear Kilkenny are flying it in training.

Are we surprised...:rolleyes:

chases0102 wrote: »
    Random request folks!!

On a stag next weekend, and we were thinking of dressing up the groom as an old-school Limerick hurling supporter (think the scene in the D'Unbelievables!) and looking for a retro, old-school Limerick jersey.

Does anyone know where we could source this?!

Stag is in Kilkenny next weekend...so very apt!!
    The good sport shops in Limerick will do them - Limerick Sports Store on William St should have them, they stock all the Limerick GAA Supporters Club gear. Maybe Gleeson Sports Scene further down the same street too.

I know Finn's Sports Corner on Grand Parade in Cork also does the retro jersies of most counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Anyone know where tickets for the hill would be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone know where tickets for the hill would be available?

Tickets.ie
    Or any centra or super value store

grenache wrote: »
    The good sport shops in Limerick will do them - Limerick Sports Store on William St should have them, they stock all the Limerick GAA Supporters Club gear. Maybe Gleeson Sports Scene further down the same street too.

I know Finn's Sports Corner on Grand Parade in Cork also does the retro jersies of most counties.

Do those shops do jerseys from a few years back?

I lost my Moran's Hotel jersey from when the footballers were at their peak, the only I have is the shiny 2007 jersey which isn't great tbh. And I don't like the current jersey tbqh... although last year's was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I lost my Moran's Hotel jersey from when the footballers were at their peak, the only I have is the shiny 2007 jersey which isn't great tbh. And I don't like the current jersey tbqh... although last year's was nice.
    Gotta love Ebay..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Shirt-Limerick-GAA-XL-44-ONeills-Gaelic-Luimneach-Jersey-/201138444085?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item2ed4c91735

No, they don't. They do an identikit retro one based on the 1973 jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shoulder

We must be prepared for the filth kk are going to throw at us. We saw what they are capable of last time in 07 when three of their players should have been red carded in the first half, one of the offenders should have gotten a red card two times. WE must keep our cool and not retaliate. We can beat these codgers with our hurling. No standing still. Our fitness passion and skill will get us the win.

C,mon Limerick!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement