Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

shoulder wrote: »
    We must be prepared for the filth kk are going to throw at us. We saw what they are capable of last time in 07 when three of their players should have been red carded in the first half, one of the offenders should have gotten a red card two times. WE must keep our cool and not retaliate. We can beat these codgers with our hurling. No standing still. Our fitness passion and skill will get us the win.

C,mon Limerick!!

Well said. It would be smart of Teege to highlight the filthiness of KK in the media in the run-up to the game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

We were kind of rough on Hickey when he was a young lad but look at him now he took his lesson and learned from it. I admire that guy.

Was more "treatment" rather than a life lesson he got that day in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Our fitness passion and skill will get us the win.

C,mon Limerick!!
    I'd suggest physicality in there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

How much of a factor will it be that Kilkenny have done very little high level hurling this year so far? They have played Dublin, Galway and Offaly. The needed a replay to get over Galway. Their last game was on the 6th July. Almost 2 months since the Leinster final.

Limerick on the other hand have overcome Tipperary (at home), and played Cork (at home) in the Munster Final. 2 softish goals were the only difference on the day. And they completely obliterated Wexford. Last weekend.

Will Limerick be more game ready than Kilkenny. How much o a factor will sharpness be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Orizio wrote: »
    Well said. It would be smart of Teege to highlight the filthiness of KK in the media in the run-up to the game as well.

Hurling-final-2012_WEB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

KK aren't the most skillful of hurlers, not that they lack skill. I'm not sure they are as dirty as they were in 07 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Rightwing wrote: »
    KK aren't the most skillful of hurlers, not that they lack skill. I'm not sure they are as dirty as they were in 07 though.

Who are the most skillful hurlers so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

cabledude wrote: »
    How much of a factor will it be that Kilkenny have done very little high level hurling this year so far? They have played Dublin, Galway and Offaly. The needed a replay to get over Galway. Their last game was on the 6th July. Almost 2 months since the Leinster final.

Limerick on the other hand have overcome Tipperary (at home), and played Cork (at home) in the Munster Final. 2 softish goals were the only difference on the day. And they completely obliterated Wexford. Last weekend.

Will Limerick be more game ready than Kilkenny. How much o a factor will sharpness be?

Totally irrelevant when KK last played. We hear that their training sessions/games are on par with championship intensity. Likewise they don't 'get tired' when playing successive games. The drawn game V Galway was a fluke. They should have won that game by 10-15 pts. The replay proved that. They will without doubt exploit any weak links, they are total masters at this,thanks to Cody. This man has seen and done it all. His sheer size and presence on the sideline is intimidating figure to referees, he does criticism of them during the league thus 'grooming' them for KK championship games. His experience is priceless to KK.
    They can dish out 'treatment' under the radar. Take a look at Noel Hickeys 'tackle' on Mike Fitz during the 2007 final. A player from any other county would have received a straight red.
    We beat Tipp but luck was on our side, they should have put that game to bed with 10 mins left but got careless. If KK smell blood like that they will pull away easily. But we did show great character to hang in and take the chances when they came our way.
    Munster final, Cork were the better/slicker team, 2 goals aside. Cant agree that Harnedy's goal was soft, if it was than our 4 last week were also soft.
    He caught a puckout, beat 3 players and finished well, as did Paudie Sull for their 2nd, but that was a terrible mistake by Hickey. Lets hope that TJ's excuse for that performance is valid.!!
    We will be ready for KK, but it will take a display on par and above the 2007 semi V Waterford to beat them.
    Bookies have KK at 9/4, they seldom get it wrong but lets hope they will this time. It will also be Shefflins swansong, throw in Tommy Walshe, JJ, Tyrell and Larkin too, so their effort will be even extra.
    To answer you question in a nutshell, we don't have an advantage over KK as it stands, any other team maybe, but these guys are a completely different animal.!! (no pun intended):o

Must be some other team out there that we have yet to see...:confused:

Tipp

• Advertisement

Tipp

Do they have anyone more skillful than Richie Hogan?

Do they have anyone more skillful than Richie Hogan?

Their first touch is class, KK are a better team, and a stronger team, and certainly more physical.

Their first touch is class, KK are a better team, and a stronger team, and certainly more physical.

I would always have Galway ahead of Tipp for skill, their underage success would prove that.

washman3 wrote: »
    I would always have Galway ahead of Tipp for skill, their underage success would prove that.

I wouldn't, but I'd have Kilkenny ahead of the two of em anyway.

washman3 wrote: »

No it wouldn't, they are parachuted straight into semi finals.

But Galway are one of the more skilful. Watching wexford the last day, desperate first touch, manufactured hurlers along with Dublin.

I wouldn't, but I'd have Kilkenny ahead of the two of em anyway.

So would I, well ahead actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Who is the most skilful team is a moot point really, it's nearly impossible to judge... Tipp do have a lot of very nice hurlers, but their best player is probably Bonner Maher who isn't as flashy a player as some of the others, but is still a class act.

But fwiw, I wouldn't have Galway as one of the most skilful teams... this year they definitely seemed to be relying more on big, strong players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

On this "skill" question, you don't win 9 All-Irelands since 2000 on brute-force or physicality alone, the thing about Kilkenny has been that if you match them physically they'll still probably out-hurl you, Kilkenny of 2006-2012 was probably the most complete hurling team we've ever had, they really did have it all. And even in their current phase of "transition" they're still the team to beat.

One thing I'm pleased with so far is the hype hasn't gone overboard (so far...), we'll see if that continues into next week. We can do it but everything needs to go right, and TJ needs to be quicker off the mark if a fella isn't playing well.

On TJ, given that he is effectively a rookie he has to be commended for a respectable season; especially given how we were seemingly in tatters when he assumed sole charge following O'Grady's departure. Back then I doubt many of us were expecting to be looking forward to an All-Ireland semi final at this stage of the season. Regardless of the outcome next weekend I believe he has certainly earned the right to continue in 2015. I've heard mainly positive noises from the camp, players seem to like him. And from two (brief) conversations I've had with him this year he really seems to care an awful lot for his players. He still has a lot to learn, but he's doing a lot right so far.

We certainly can win this, but there are two or three weak links in this team, there are area's that can be targeted, if our wing backs aren't up to speed we're in trouble.

On this "skill" question, you don't win 9 All-Irelands since 2000 on brute-force or physicality alone, the thing about Kilkenny has been that if you match them physically they'll still probably out-hurl you, Kilkenny of 2006-2012 was probably the most complete hurling team we've ever had, they really did have it all. And even in their current phase of "transition" they're still the team to beat.

One thing I'm pleased with so far is the hype hasn't gone overboard (so far...), we'll see if that continues into next week. We can do it but everything needs to go right, and TJ needs to be quicker off the mark if a fella isn't playing well.

On TJ, given that he is effectively a rookie he has to be commended for a respectable season; especially given how we were seemingly in tatters when he assumed sole charge following O'Grady's departure. Back then I doubt many of us were expecting to be looking forward to an All-Ireland semi final at this stage of the season. Regardless of the outcome next weekend I believe he has certainly earned the right to continue in 2015. I've heard mainly positive noises from the camp, players seem to like him. And from two (brief) conversations I've had with him this year he really seems to care an awful lot for his players. He still has a lot to learn, but he's doing a lot right so far.

We certainly can win this, but there are two or three weak links in this team, there are area's that can be targeted, if our wing backs aren't up to speed we're in trouble.

No question they are a great team, and the team to beat. And they have the best manager.

But I don't see much ground hurling from them. 1 of the great skills of the game. Tipp's 2 goals v Dub just oozed class. But like in soccer, the most technically gifted team does not always win.

As for the hype, there is no reason for any. We haven't put 2 good games back to back this year.

As for the hype, there is no reason for any. We haven't put 2 good games back to back this year.

I think it's also down to the fact that many felt we would probably beat Clare last year whereas many feel Kilkenny will probably beat us. When there's a sniff of success everyone seems to want a piece in this county, (probably not unique to this county in fairness), essentially the Irish sports fan is a glory hunter!!

Now forgive me as I go off on a bit of a tangent!!

I'll be the first to admit I have a major bee in my bonnet when it comes to this county's support. There was all this talk of Limerick's great support after the pitch invasion last year, "great scenes" blah blah! Of course, those wonderful scenes marked the 5 year anniversary of Limerick being disgracefully booed and jeered off at half and full time on that very same pitch by about half of a 12/14000 crowd as they were defeated by Offaly. I've been to the '94 and '96 finals, and I've been to the '09 semi final defeat to Tipp, but that was my darkest day as a Limerick fan, made me feel sick to my stomach to see some of my fellow county men treat the team like that.

In a nutshell; our support is no better or worse than any other county's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

I hear Kilkenny are flying it in training.
    F.F.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

We must be prepared for the filth kk are going to throw at us. We saw what they are capable of last time in 07 when three of their players should have been red carded in the first half, one of the offenders should have gotten a red card two times. WE must keep our cool and not retaliate. We can beat these codgers with our hurling. No standing still. Our fitness passion and skill will get us the win.

C,mon Limerick!!
    they hit hickey, the rest of the full back line went into hiding, the k.k. payer should have been taken out, then the ref had one choice, send both off or send no one off, limk shied away, then suffered the consuquences, game lost.

I'm not too worried about the physical side of Kilkenny's game too much, if we are to lose, it will most likely down to being out-hurled rather than being pushed around the place. Keeping an eye on Richie Hogan, cutting down the space for the Kilkenny forwards, trying to get out in front of their full-back line... they are the things we should be worrying about.

I think we'll match KK for physicality, but I wouldn't want to be drawn into a battle. A few of our players have been known for getting a bit heated at times and their hurling can sometimes suffer because they get sidetracked in trying to "make an impression". That would be a bad route to go down imo.

I think it's also down to the fact that many felt we would probably beat Clare last year whereas many feel Kilkenny will probably beat us. When there's a sniff of success everyone seems to want a piece in this county, (probably not unique to this county in fairness), essentially the Irish sports fan is a glory hunter!!

Now forgive me as I go off on a bit of a tangent!!

I'll be the first to admit I have a major bee in my bonnet when it comes to this county's support. There was all this talk of Limerick's great support after the pitch invasion last year, "great scenes" blah blah! Of course, those wonderful scenes marked the 5 year anniversary of Limerick being disgracefully booed and jeered off at half and full time on that very same pitch by about half of a 12/14000 crowd as they were defeated by Offaly. I've been to the '94 and '96 finals, and I've been to the '09 semi final defeat to Tipp, but that was my darkest day as a Limerick fan, made me feel sick to my stomach to see some of my fellow county men treat the team like that.

In a nutshell; our support is no better or worse than any other county's.

That's an interesting post. I can see why fans boo players. Perhaps it shouldn't be done in GAA though as they are amateurs. I've no problem with it in soccer. I'd rank that Tipp defeat as the worst day I've seen.

Overall though I feel we have very good support for a county that wins very little.

Just interested; what was the first Limerick game posters here ever attended (league, championship or otherwise)

I remember going to Páirc Ui Chaoimh for the 1992 Munster final, I was only 7 so I don't remember very much about that match only that Cork won and the result didn't ever seem in doubt. My main memories were of the stadium rather than the match. Must have been about 50k at it, I remembered feeling that the stadium was tall (or banked) so everyone had a great view so I preferred it to the Gaelic Grounds where I had been to a club game a few weeks earlier and could barely see.

My father wouldn't bring me to Cusack Park in Ennis in 1993 as he didn't think it would be safe to bring an 8 year old there....:confused:

Next up was the first game I have a decent memory of; Limerick v Cork in the 1994 Munster championship; awful rain, looked like we were going to get hammered but we got a rake of goals towards the end of the first half. Joe Quaid won his All-Star that day, made some unbelievable saves. Scoreline was something like 4-14 to 4-11, good game but I vaguely recall an unfortunate incident where a supporter had a heart attack and was treated on the sideline, and unless I'm mistaken he died in the end.

Just interested; what was the first Limerick game posters here ever attended (league, championship or otherwise)

I remember going to Páirc Ui Chaoimh for the 1992 Munster final, I was only 7 so I don't remember very much about that match only that Cork won and the result didn't ever seem in doubt. My main memories were of the stadium rather than the match. Must have been about 50k at it, I remembered feeling that the stadium was tall (or banked) so everyone had a great view so I preferred it to the Gaelic Grounds where I had been to a club game a few weeks earlier and could barely see.

My father wouldn't bring me to Cusack Park in Ennis in 1993 as he didn't think it would be safe to bring an 8 year old there....:confused:

Next up was the first game I have a decent memory of; Limerick v Cork in the 1994 Munster championship; awful rain, looked like we were going to get hammered but we got a rake of goals towards the end of the first half. Joe Quaid won his All-Star that day, made some unbelievable saves. Scoreline was something like 4-14 to 4-11, good game but I vaguely recall an unfortunate incident where a supporter had a heart attack and was treated on the sideline, and unless I'm mistaken he died in the end.

First one I remember was the 1998 Munster Championship game against Cork in Limerick. They were much the better team on the day, Limerick scored 2 late goals to bring the margin back to a goal..... it really marked the end of Limerick as a serious force in Munster... the Tom Ryan era had come to an end, and bar a decent year in 2001, I don't think we won a game in Munster against until 2007. I missed out on Munster-winning sides by a couple of years... I think I've seen every Championship game from the early 90s onwards, but in terms of live games, I arrived for the bad times.

1980 AI.

Things haven't got any better since. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I first saw Limerick live in the 1973 All Ireland final. First limerick club final I saw was the year Niall Moran played in his first senior county final, another was the year Patrickswell beat Ballybrown in the senior final but my outstanding memory was the worst belt I ever saw was in any game anywhere, one against Damien Quigley of Na Piarsaigh by one I will leave unnamed. For the record I refereed a match once between Ballybrown and Patrickswell in the Gaelic grounds, also for the record it was not a senior match but dangerous never the less.

I first saw Limerick live in the 1973 All Ireland final. First limerick club final I saw was the year Niall Moran played in his first senior county final, another was the year Patrickswell beat Ballybrown in the senior final but my outstanding memory was the worst belt I ever saw was in any game anywhere, one against Damien Quigley of Na Piarsaigh by one I will leave unnamed. For the record I refereed a match once between Ballybrown and Patrickswell in the Gaelic grounds, also for the record it was not a senior match but dangerous never the less.

It wasn't the Junior B one a few weeks ago... 2 red cards, lots of abuse thrown... seems to be typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Just watched the first half of 2007 all ireland, fair to say Duignan's commentary has ruined my sunday morning. No wonder KK get away with murder with Duignan running propaganda for them. Brennan should have been off twice and power booked at least

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement