Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Well maybe things have changed a little since 2012 was the last meeting and Richie Hogan did get sent off that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Duignan is about as poor as they come. Ranks along with T O Shea as great player but desperate analyst.

I agree, they are not as dirty as they once were. They do seem to concentrate more on skill and space nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Rightwing wrote: »
    Duignan is about as poor as they come. Ranks along with T O Shea as great player but desperate analyst.

I agree, they are not as dirty as they once were. They do seem to concentrate more on skill and space nowadays.

Would you be capable of backing up your point with facts. There is an easy way. All you have to do is tell us how many red cards Kilkenny players received from 2000 until 2014 compared to your own Limerick, Cork , Tipperary, Clare, Waterford, and Dublin. According to you it has to double or treble the others. Prove your point with facts.

Would you be capable of backing up your point with facts. There is an easy way. All you have to do is tell us how many red cards Kilkenny players received from 2000 until 2014 compared to your own Limerick, Cork , Tipperary, Clare, Waterford, and Dublin. According to you it has to double or treble the others. Prove your point with facts.

Refs were afraid of KK. It was only when Loughnane pointed it out that the average person realised it. As said on here, watch the first half of the 07 final, and tell me KK weren't a dirty team.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Refs were afraid of KK. It was only when Loughnane pointed it out that the average person realised it. As said on here, watch the first half of the 07 final, and tell me KK weren't a dirty team.

As I thought all bluster and no facts behind your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Dont mind him he is only stirring things a bit

Your question was dumb in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ah come on now.. 99% of people would agree with rightwing!
    Noone us denying kilkenny have skill and deserve the success theyve had, but the refs were very pro-cats for large periods, where other counties in same situation
    would be penalised..

The start of the '07 final being the obvious example youre gonna get thrown at you in A limerick thread

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Noone us denying kilkenny have skill and deserve the success theyve had, but the refs were very pro-cats for large periods, where other counties in same situation
    would be penalised..

The start of the '07 final being the obvious example youre gonna get thrown at you in A limerick thread

Indeed, they were great at giving sly digs across the hands, not exactly red card stuff at the time, but I believe the game has been cleaned up a good bit, and a lot of that is because of KK.

would be penalised..

I know the answer to how many red cards each received in that period, obviously you do not. To say refs were afraid of Kilkenny is bull. If you wish to make wild accusations you should at least have the facts to back them up. You may wish it to be true. You may believe it to be true but red card facts prove it to be otherwise and the straight red cards received by each make your accusations even more erroneous. Continue on with the rants you are not hurting Kilkenny, only deluding yourselves.

• Advertisement

I know the answer to how many red cards each received in that period, obviously you do not. To say refs were afraid of Kilkenny is bull. If you wish to make wild accusations you should at least have the facts to back them up. You may wish it to be true. You may believe it to be true but red card facts prove it to be otherwise and the straight red cards received by each make your accusations even more erroneous. Continue on with the rants you are not hurting Kilkenny, only deluding yourselves.

You know your hurling but come on, a lttle bit of sense here.

If a ref makes a mistake and sends someone off, they'll be dirty team by your reckoning, if he 'sees' nothing like the Hickey incident in 07 they'll be a clean team.

Name one player from any other county that was injured by a Kilkenny player between 2000 and 2014. Name one who had to received more than side line treatment and who had to be hospitalized. In the same period Henry Shefflin, Michael Rice, Ritchie Hogan, TJ Reid all had to receive hospital treatment as a result of dirty blows in matches and all were out for periods of 6 to 9 months. All you need do is name one player from Limerick, Cork, Tipp, Galway Dublin, Waterford Clare or Wexford who had to miss one match as a result of a dirty blow from a Kilkenny player. Over to you boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Name one player from any other county that was injured by a Kilkenny player between 2000 and 2014. Name one who had to received more than side line treatment and who had to be hospitalized. In the same period Henry Shefflin, Michael Rice, Ritchie Hogan, TJ Reid all had to receive hospital treatment as a result of dirty blows in matches and all were out for periods of 6 to 9 months. All you need do is name one player from Limerick, Cork, Tipp, Galway Dublin, Waterford Clare or Wexford who had to miss one match as a result of a dirty blow from a Kilkenny player. Over to you boys.

What injury to Shefflin are you referring to?

Well didn't Hickey get teeth knocked out in that match in 07 ?

The facts simply do not prove the point you are trying to make. The fact that you believe it does not necessarily make it true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just to clarify we're not all sore losers in Limk, anyone who claims we deserved to win in '07 is a numpty.

Just to clarify we're not all sore losers in Limk, anyone who claims we deserved to win in '07 is a numpty.

Who said we deserved to won in '07?
    Kk deserved all the success fully, no-ones debated that :)

Who said we deserved to won in '07?
    Kk deserved all the success fully, no-ones debated that :)

Indeed, although I feel we were a lot better than people gave us credit for that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Try tickets.ie :) its what gaa use more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There's no way tickets will all be sold out, but I imagine they're trying to sell all the general sale tickets first... certain tickets will have been distributed to the clubs and will be unavailable, although some will undoubtedly be returned.

They'll probably open the top tier if all the lower tier sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Try tickets.ie :) its what gaa use more

One attempt on tickets.ie got me Lower Hogan Section 336 which is to the far right, not a great seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

You might enlighten us all so if you have the answer to save us the trouble of researching it!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

one of the reasons k.k. have won so many all irelands in recent times is, they did not have to peak until august, they had no test in leinster, meet offaly or laoise or wexford, then one of the three in the final, then dublin got better and galway entered, it is not a competive province, ie galway refused to play in munster, k.k were/are a very physical team, they intimadited opponents and refs, look at the last time k.k and limk met, the way hickey was taken out, not only did the ref shy from his jobm so did hickeys teaam mates, instead of instant justice and forcing the ref to a hard call, ie the sending off of two players, or both teams having two injured players,who had some really new ways of beating an opponent, one that stands out is the tipping of the helmet over the eyes from behind, i will not go into more,

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Look, no one is suggesting kk weren't a super team. Without doubt the kk team of the end of the 00's is the best hurling team of all time. But you cannot argue that they didn't get away with a lot. And happily a lot of the **** they got away with is being removed from the game. Blocking on the hand, Tommy was an expert at pushing up the back of the helmet, Brennan was one of the best ever but a dirty player, many of Tyrell's past shoulders to the chest would now be yellows if not straight reds.

Is your definition of foul play whether a player is injured for a number of matches? That's ridiculous.

After the 2007 all Ireland final Tom humphries had a good article in the times which detailed a few incidents for which kk should have had red cards in that game. He described at least three, with the time to the second of the match detailed. Brennan should have had two on hickey of I recall. I think it was also Brennan put the butt of the hurl through lucey's face guard splitting him so he had to go get stitches -shefflin scored the goal that killed the game just as lucey came back on the field. Walsh breaking his hurl across a Wexford players legs (name escapes me just now) after the Wexford player won a 50/50 ball and streaked past Walsh is another memorable example -as blatant and visible a strike with the hurl as could be seen, straight ref offence, ref took no action. Come to think of it tommy could blood referees themselves and get away with it ;)

Again, lest you think I suggest otherwise re 07, kk were the better team, deserved to win, absolutely. Did they also get away with a number of outrageous transgressions a that they shouldn't have? Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Just in case you've been out of the loop a bit - ALL the filth committed by Kilkenny players in the 15 years since 1999 has been well documented and regurgitated by other counties who came up against them! Rest assured that ALL the terrible things carried out by the Cats has been covered by the media etc and the refs are well informed!

No harm at all though in ye now taking your turn! Enjoy cutting and pasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm not too worried about dirty play getting the better of Limerick. I certainly don't think the great KK team were above dirty stuff... but moreso than any other team? Maybe, maybe not. As for whether they got away with it more... possibly they did.

They'd have won in 2007 no matter what... I've never watched that game back, so I'm probably not the best judge of it tbh. Richie Hogan was sent off for a nasty stroke in 2012, but it wasn't a particularly dirty game. I don't know why we're talking about that again now.

This Limerick team are well able to stand up for themselves anyway, I'd be more worried about us retaliating a la Benny Dunne, than being bullied. But I'm sure it'll be a fair, tough game. There's no way TJ and the boys are talking about KK's "dirty play" in the build-up, and nor should they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Not really sure where I stand on the Kilkenny and dirty play thing. I remember being on the Hill in 2007, had a fairly good view of an incident where Noel Hickey pulled up with a leg muscle injury that ended his involvement and his his final action before going down was a fairly wild swing across the torso of Mike Fitzgerald, it was pretty bad, and he got vicious abuse from the Limerick fans as he was taken off, should have been a red card! Irrelevant anyway, KK would have won regardless at that stage.

But I don't think they were an overly dirty team, but they really pushed the limits as far as they could in the physicality stakes. Richie Bennis didn't really complain at all about Kilkenny being dirty, in fact if I recall correctly he took the game as a bit of a wake up call in terms of what was required physically and the players were given an intensified gym regime in the off season.

Mike Fitz in particular bulked up, many felt he was overweight in 2008 but as far as I have been made aware his body fat % was actually at the required level, but the weight training made him top heavy, he was fine and strong and bulky but it came at a serious cost in terms of his mobility and running speed.

Bennis's reaction to the final defeat was a sort of a "If you can't beat them, join them", match them physically, bulk them up and make them really strong in the challenge, but they kind of took their eye off the ball when it came to the basic skills side of training. The Clare game was an absolute lottery due to a huge wind and intermittent heavy rain, but we were badly shown up by Offaly; they were nimbler, they used the ball better, their hooking and blocking was excellent all game, Limerick were comprehensively outhurled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Looks like some LK fans are getting their excuses in early. It's the oldest laziest cliche to say that KK are a dirty team. If we were so how is it the referees never cottoned on to it. If a bunch of keyboard warriors are wise to all the 'tricks' how come the men on the pitch never saw any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

citykat wrote: »
    Looks like some LK fans are getting their excuses in early. It's the oldest laziest cliche to say that KK are a dirty team. If we were so how is it the referees never cottoned on to it. If a bunch of keyboard warriors are wise to all the 'tricks' how come the men on the pitch never saw any of them.

Agreed, this dirty stuff is a load of bollix. If Kilkenny were dirty what was stopping the other teams being equally dirty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement