Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

citykat wrote: »
    Looks like some LK fans are getting their excuses in early. It's the oldest laziest cliche to say that KK are a dirty team. If we were so how is it the referees never cottoned on to it. If a bunch of keyboard warriors are wise to all the 'tricks' how come the men on the pitch never saw any of them.

I think KK will win this about 6 points. I also think only Tipp canbeat them. And I don't think they will be dirty. The game has been cleaned up a good bit and it's good to see.
    The niggle has been taken out of their game.

Good read actually from Mullane. I go along with it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/frightening-bench-can-lift-cats-back-to-summit-30481180.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Looks like some LK fans are getting their excuses in early. It's the oldest laziest cliche to say that KK are a dirty team. If we were so how is it the referees never cottoned on to it. If a bunch of keyboard warriors are wise to all the 'tricks' how come the men on the pitch never saw any of them.

There's not a hope in hell I'll be using that as an excuse.

But I also think we'll win, we are definitely capable of it. If we lose, I imagine it will be down to similar reasons as why we lost to Cork- missing goal chances & offering too much space to opposition forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think KK will win this about 6 points. I also think only Tipp canbeat them. And I don't think they will be dirty. The game has been cleaned up a good bit and it's good to see.
    The niggle has been taken out of their game.

Good read actually from Mullane. I go along with it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/frightening-bench-can-lift-cats-back-to-summit-30481180.html
    Mullane also backed Wexford against Limerick on radio on the Saturday before the game. He said that Wexford would handle Limerick easily.

cabledude wrote: »
    Mullane also backed Wexford against Limerick on radio on the Saturday before the game. He said that Wexford would handle Limerick easily.

Indeed, like most he got that badly wrong.

KK have more than Limk. A much stronger bench. We are a Div 1 b team.

But if everyone plays very well, we can def beat them.

2 results I got wrong: Cork v Waterford - draw. Clare v Wex.

I would have also lost on us v Tipp though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cabledude wrote: »

He did say in March that KK woul win the all Ireland. Not exactly visionary, but consistent at least.

Don't think Limerick can rely on Dowling against Jj though. They need big games from Mulcahy and Hannon.

• Advertisement

He did say in March that KK woul win the all Ireland. Not exactly visionary, but consistent at least.

Don't think Limerick can rely on Dowling against Jj though. They need big games from Mulcahy and Hannon.

I don't mind when someone changes, nothing worse than 'I tipped them at start so I'll continue', (even though they are going sh!t now).

Has TJ the tactical nous to change if things are going wrong ?

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't mind when someone changes, nothing worse than 'I tipped them at start so I'll continue', (even though they are going sh!t now).

Has TJ the tactical nous to change if things are going wrong ?

I assume that point is not in relation to Mull and if so I agree.

Dunno, he didn't put Downes in full v Cork and I really think he should have.

I assume that point is not in relation to Mull and if so I agree.

Dunno, he didn't put Downes in full v Limerick and I really think he should have.

Def not Mullane. Consistency is great when the team is going well.

I heard Duignan or someone on rte saying they tipped some team at the start, then team lost a game, 'I'm still going with them because I tipped them at the start'. Absolute rubbsh analysis.

Our bench is possibly a slight worry alright...

I actually think the recovery of Conor Allis, Alan Dempsey & David Reidy will be important; none of them were on the bench for either the Munster final nor the Wexford game, but they are better than a lot of the other bench options we have. I personally think Alan Dempsey has the potential to be one of the best corner-backs around, and would be starting him this season. Reidy had a good league & Allis was a starter a few years ago and during the league.

Tobin is a good hurler, and did excellently from the bench against KK, but he needs space to operate, don't know if he'll get much against KK. Still, his performance the last day was promising.

Moran looked rusty, I wonder could we rely on him; Tommy O'Brien was anonymous, I wouldn't be throwing in him against the Cats despite his pace. Outside of that... John Fitzgibbon/Tommy Quaid/Mikey Ryan? No way I'd be putting them in either, pity that Mike Fitz got injured at that time.

One of either Tom Ryan or Dodge will be on the bench and they'll presumably be first option, and a good option too, in a number of positions. Both can slot in anywhere from half-back to half-forward.

Defensively, we have King, Walsh and Morrissey; and I wouldn't worry about any of them either. King is now my preferred midfield sub if Browne/Ryan were to get injured, he's the one who can match their legs.

If Paudie/Gavin were to be dropped, I do think they might be decent from the bench, if Paudie was brought into midfield rather than wing-back.

But yeah, I do think we'll need Dempsey, Allis & Reidy on the bench.

If we are lucky we may not need to call on the bench.

But we need to quickly forget about that Wexford match. Wexford are poor, but on the day they were simply shocking. We had so much time on the ball. That won't be the case the next day. DOG, where should he played? Hannon must be kept in same position as last day.

• Advertisement

If we don't call on the bench against KK, I think we will lose.

They'll have faith in bringing on 4/5 players with 20-25 minutes to go. Fresh legs and we'll have to match them. Remember 2012 vs Tipp, we didn't have the bench and they outran us in the last 15.

Dodge to 12, Hannon stays at 11, Tom Ryan to 7.... I'd go further and move Hickey to 5, with Walsh to 2 too. But there's no chance of that imo.

If we don't call on the bench, it means things are going well. If KK have a weakness, when things get tough, they can be beaten in close games. Galway nearly did a number on them when the pressure was on. 10 mins to go and if we are we there or thereabouts I'd fancy us.

I'd keep the same the team as the last and in same positions.

I wouldn't read too much into anyone scoring 2nd half V Wexford. Game was well over.

Yell have to play a short game and run at Kilkenny, long balls to Dowling. Hannon is a powerful player as is Downes (though his form is cat) will be important, as will Mulcahy taking his men on all day.

Its definitely a great asset having a few lads who can score from 90 yards v Kilkenny, Waterford did it very well in the league last year. Its a very weather permitting game though, as to work the ball into space requires magnetic hurling so to speak and very difficult to do and indeed finish off the scores with a wet ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Its hardly lazy when we can point to four incidents in the 35 minutes in one match. Which ye all choose to ignore

Weather looks to be good, 24/25 predicted by end of week.

Breen has impressed me greatly over the last few games. Running at KK is the way to get scores, they won't be easily beaten with high balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about us retaliating a la Benny Dunne, than being bullied.

Disappointing comment from normally an excellent poster.

Benny Dunne committed one of the worst fouls I've ever seen on a hurling field which could have caused horrendous damage. He was only on the pitch for 10 mins and he spent the entire time trying to cause trouble. It could only be described as "retaliation" if you believe in the "get your retaliation in first" philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I wouldn't read too much into anyone scoring 2nd half V Wexford. Game was well over.

Yell have to play a short game and run at Kilkenny, long balls to Dowling. Hannon is a powerful player as is Downes (though his form is cat) will be important, as will Mulcahy taking his men on all day.

Its definitely a great asset having a few lads who can score from 90 yards v Kilkenny, Waterford did it very well in the league last year. Its a very weather permitting game though, as to work the ball into space requires magnetic hurling so to speak and very difficult to do and indeed finish off the scores with a wet ball.

His form is not cat, his shooting was the last day. If you looked at clips of his play without the shooting you would say his form is exceptional. He is a player that can get frustrated when not on enough ball I think, we need to keep him involved more. I have absolutely no fears for him v kk, in fact I think he'll do damage for us.

I agree with that about Downes, I thought he had a v good game, ok, some poor shots, but it ws a day when we could afford wides. More important to slot them when it's tight. Downes can trouble any team in the country.

His form is not cat, his shooting was the last day. If you looked at clips of his play without the shooting you would say his form is exceptional. He is a player that can get frustrated when not on enough ball I think, we need to keep him involved more. I have absolutely no fears for him v kk, in fact I think he'll do damage for us.

I keep reading this about Downes. His physical attributes are impressive. He showed great skill for a point against either Tipp or Cork. He made that run v Tipp. He made a great block down.

But all that shows to me is he has promise and as such he gets away with not producing a good enough performance in any of the three games this year. To say his form is exceptional when he couldn't take any of 4 chances(that third wide in particular was brutal, I was thinking goal when he blocked it down) against a Wexford team that was blown away on the day is pretty wishful thinking.

Without a significant improved performance, Limerick's chances of winning will decrease a lot. In fact don't think they will win unless Downes plays a more active role on the scoreboard. Kilkenny aren't likely to give away the frees Tipp did and I firmly believe that Dowling is going to be living off scraps from play.

So there is a lot of pressure on Downes, Mulcahy and Hannon in my opinion to carry the scoring threat.

Kilkenny forwards weren't that great against Dublin I didn't think by and large but would say Dublin had an incredible work rate. The only thing they really offered in that game was a strong halfback line and a decent work rate to be fair.

Limerick will have to match that, but definitely have better forwards and a great midfield and negating Hogan's influence will be another key decider of this game.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Disappointing comment from normally an excellent poster.

Benny Dunne committed one of the worst fouls I've ever seen on a hurling field which could have caused horrendous damage. He was only on the pitch for 10 mins and he spent the entire time trying to cause trouble. It could only be described as "retaliation" if you believe in the "get your retaliation in first" philosophy.

I do think what Benny did was disgraceful, and I think he completely lost the head. However, I do think that someone was probably niggling at him for the entire time he was on... it's something that every team too.

Tom Condon took a bit of a wild jab at Niall O'Meara in the Tipp game, was probably lucky not to get a red card... I'm not sure if it was 100% intentional, but it was still very wild. I doubt O'Meara did anything near the same scale to Condon, but Condon still reacted.

You have to stay cool... look at Richie Hogan in 2012, I wouldn't classify him as a dirty player, but he also took a swing at a Limerick player. I imagine there was some provocation, it doesn't mean it's acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I do think what Benny did was disgraceful, and I think he completely lost the head. However, I do think that someone was probably niggling at him for the entire time he was on... it's something that every team too.

Tom Condon took a bit of a wild jab at Niall O'Meara in the Tipp game, was probably lucky not to get a red card... I'm not sure if it was 100% intentional, but it was still very wild. I doubt O'Meara did anything near the same scale to Condon, but Condon still reacted.

You have to stay cool... look at Richie Hogan in 2012, I wouldn't classify him as a dirty player, but he also took a swing at a Limerick player. I imagine there was some provocation, it doesn't mean it's acceptable.

You said retaliation, you were asked retaliation for what. Your answer for something that may or may not have happened.

You said retaliation, you were asked retaliation for what. Your answer for something that may or may not have happened.

I think it was a reasonable enough response. Condemning Benny Dunne while at the same time acknowledging there must have been something going on, which doesn't in anyway excuse it but the point stands that was made about being worried that players might react in a similar fashion.

What Dunne did was terrible, nobody making any allowances for it.

Maybe it was a bad example then, but it would surprise me if there wasn't some sort of provocation; that's what backs do- at all levels of the game. Trying to make your marker do something stupid... obviously nobody wants to receive a belt of a hurl, but if you can force them to make a mistake or give away a stupid free, it's an advantage to you.

Some of our players have been known to do stupid things in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I keep reading this about Downes. His physical attributes are impressive. He showed great skill for a point against either Tipp or Cork. He made that run v Tipp. He made a great block down.

But all that shows to me is he has promise and as such he gets away with not producing a good enough performance in any of the three games this year. To say his form is exceptional when he couldn't take any of 4 chances(that third wide in particular was brutal, I was thinking goal when he blocked it down) against a Wexford team that was blown away on the day is pretty wishful thinking.

Without a significant improved performance, Limerick's chances of winning will decrease a lot. In fact don't think they will win unless Downes plays a more active role on the scoreboard. Kilkenny aren't likely to give away the frees Tipp did and I firmly believe that Dowling is going to be living off scraps from play.

So there is a lot of pressure on Downes, Mulcahy and Hannon in my opinion to carry the scoring threat.

Kilkenny forwards weren't that great against Dublin I didn't think by and large but would say Dublin had an incredible work rate. The only thing they really offered in that game was a strong halfback line and a decent work rate to be fair.

Limerick will have to match that, but definitely have better forwards and a great midfield and negating Hogan's influence will be another key decider of this game.

I said his form is exceptional outside of his shooting. I gave an example a few pages back from the Wexford match where he blocked down a Wexford defender, the Wexford player recovered the ball and laid it off, downes chased him down too, blocked him, won the ball then put it wide. The wide was terrible, the turnover in the first place though was something very few forwards in the country are capable of.

My expectations for dowling this year were that he'd nail the frees, goal off penalties and 21s, and hopefully latch onto the odd loose ball and use it well. He wildly exceeded that against Wexford but if he does that much being marked by jj I'll be happy. His workrate and sharpness were beyond expectation though. His pass to Breen for the goal was possibly the most little exceptional moment of forward play I've seen this year.

Mulcahy has also been super. And will chip in too. We have to remember though our full forwards are going to be marked by Murphy, jj, and tyrell. They will do well to break 50/50 in their individual battles.

So, if we are to win this game we need to win at half forward and midfield.

I think it was a reasonable enough response. Condemning Benny Dunne while at the same time acknowledging there must have been something going on, which doesn't in anyway excuse it but the point stands that was made about being worried that players might react in a similar fashion.

What Dunne did was terrible, nobody making any allowances for it.

re·tal·i·ate

/rɪˈtælthinsp.pngiˌeɪt/ Show Spelled [ri-tal-ee-eyt] Show IPA verb (used without object), re·tal·i·at·ed, re·tal·i·at·ing. 1. to return like for like, especially evil for evil: to retaliate for an injury.

verb (used with object), re·tal·i·at·ed, re·tal·i·at·ing. 2. to requite or make return for (a wrong or injury) with the like.

Would you like to try to explain once more.

re·tal·i·ate

/rɪˈtælthinsp.pngiˌeɪt/ Show Spelled [ri-tal-ee-eyt] Show IPA verb (used without object), re·tal·i·at·ed, re·tal·i·at·ing. 1. to return like for like, especially evil for evil: to retaliate for an injury.

verb (used with object), re·tal·i·at·ed, re·tal·i·at·ing. 2. to requite or make return for (a wrong or injury) with the like.

Would you like to try to explain once more.

So your problem is the use of a word even though it was pretty clear what the underlying statement was and clearly stated that any niggling going on was in no way comparable to the reaction from Dunne.

It was not retaliation and that is the whole point. To say it was retaliation is an attempt to justify the act or to say there was a mitigating cause There was no justification and there was no mitigating cause so yes I do have a problem with the use of that word in describing the incident.

Alright yeah.

Will Dodge be fit to start yeah? Any chance Tom Ryan will start after the last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It was not retaliation and that is the whole point. To say it was retaliation is an attempt to justify the act or to say there was a mitigating cause There was no justification and there was no mitigating cause so yes I do have a problem with the use of that word in describing the incident.

Of course it was retaliation.Tommy Walsh was niggling at Benny Dunne off the ball and Benny responded in provocation.Now stop making an argument over nothing and focus on the match.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

Alright yeah.

Will Dodge be fit to start yeah? Any chance Tom Ryan will start after the last day?

Should be on the bench imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement