Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't think retaliation has to be on the same level of offence for it to be called "retaliation". There is no excuse for striking an opponent at all, but I would imagine that it's very rare that a player does it for no reason whatsoever. Retaliation or frustration are generally the main reasons... they are not excuses though.

Dodge is getting cryotherapy to help him get back to fitness. I've heard that had the game against Wexford been a couple of days later, they'd have started him so I will imagine he will play. But I hope Tom Ryan starts too.

As for the talk about Downes, it is great that he's beating his man and creating chances for himself and working hard. His touch was much better the last day too. But he's missed great chances in both his last 2 games and his all-round play isn't much use if he's wasting gilt-edged opportunities. He will be a handful for the KK backline anyway, but he has to start taking his chances and being more economical in possession. I still think he's the key to our attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Of course it was retaliation.Tommy Walsh was niggling at Benny Dunne off the ball and Benny responded in provocation.Now stop making an argument over nothing and focus on the match.

It is a pity you do not give the same advice to your own Limerick posters who refer to Kilkenny as dirty and filthy then cant back it up with evidence or statistics and refer to what Benny Dunne did as retaliation and once more cant say specifically what Tommy or any Kilkenny player did to deserve that treatment. We have had Michael Rice, Ritchie Hogan, TJ Reid and Henry Shefflin out for long periods due to filthy belts received on the field and you nor any one else here can tell me the name of one player hospitalized by a dirty stroke from any Kilkenny player. It is this type of propaganda that led to the injuries received by all these Kilkenny players and no one was red or yellow carded for any of the incidents. So much for refs being afraid of Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It is a pity you do not give the same advice to your own Limerick posters who refer to Kilkenny as dirty and filthy then cant back it up with evidence or statistics and refer to what Benny Dunne did as retaliation and once more cant say specifically what Tommy or any Kilkenny player did to deserve that treatment. We have had Michael Rice, Ritchie Hogan, TJ Reid and Henry Shefflin out for long periods due to filthy belts received on the field and you nor any one else here can tell me the name of one player hospitalized by a dirty stroke from any Kilkenny player. It is this type of propaganda that led to the injuries received by all these Kilkenny players and no one was red or yellow carded for any of the incidents. So much for refs being afraid of Kilkenny.

Which was the Henry Shefflin incident your referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Browney7 wrote: »
    Its hardly lazy when we can point to four incidents in the 35 minutes in one match. Which ye all choose to ignore

So how many yellows/reds were dished out for these 'incidents'?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

well boys and girls big time looking forward to game train and match tickets got.
    i feel we have great chance so fingers crossed we can skin um.
    savannahkat chill the beans u lonely man us limerick lads talk straight and true from a sporting perspective were not in circuit court fean..... dont kilkenny have there own thread why dont ye fight between yourselfs please ......ham

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »

Indeed, that's the gauge alright.

Do you remember this? I suppose the fact he didn't get a red card makes it alright

Not really gonna go down the road of who's the dirtiest team or any of that, but I don't think ye should be claiming innocence either.

Indeed, that's the gauge alright.

Do you remember this? I suppose the fact he didn't get a red card makes it alright

Not really gonna go down the road of who's the dirtiest team or any of that, but I don't think ye should be claiming innocence either.

Good man. Gold star for ability to use the internet. Dalton got the line for that if I'm not mistaken. What else you got? If KK were as dirty as made out here they must have finished a lot of games without the full 15.

Of course it was retaliation.Tommy Walsh was niggling at Benny Dunne off the ball and Benny responded in provocation.Now stop making an argument over nothing and focus on the match.

Tommy caught the ball over Benny's head. Benny didn't like the way Tommy caught the ball and drew on him. If that's provocation they may give hurlers reinforced helmets in the future. BTW Benny is offering himself as a pundit on Newstalk these days. Why doesn't' he explain his motivation for the pull?

Good man. Gold star for ability to use the internet. Dalton got the line for that if I'm not mistaken. What else you got? If KK were as dirty as made out here they must have finished a lot of games without the full 15.

You are mistaken. Eoin Larkin was sent off in the same game.

Richie Hogan I guess in 2012 would be the only one I can remember off the top of the head a being given as a red card as that is the question you asked.

It's a bit ironic though reducing dirty incidents to solely those punishd by the referee on the field of play, while still complaining about Tannion and Maher in 2012 neither of whom were sent off either.

Anyway as I said, not really that interested in the debate itself but I think the whole 'anti Kilkenny propaganda' conspiracy theory needs to be put to bed as it's a bit irritating.

treklane wrote: »
    well boys and girls big time looking forward to game train and match tickets got.
    i feel we have great chance so fingers crossed we can skin um.
    savannahkat chill the beans u lonely man us limerick lads talk straight and true from a sporting perspective were not in circuit court fean..... dont kilkenny have there own thread why dont ye fight between yourselfs please ......ham

I refereed in the Gaelic Grounds in Patrickswell, Ballybrown, The Staker Wallaces, St.Patricks, Claughan, Ballinacurra Gaels, Na Piarsaigh, Ahane, Pallasgreen, Abbey Sarsfields and just about every other playing field throughout Limerick. I count among my friends Ritchie, Sean and Phil Bennis, Tom Ryan, Jack Sheen of St, Pats, Senan O'Driscoll of Ballinacura, Morgan Portley of Abbey and many more who work night and day to promote Juvenile hurling in Limerick. No Sir I am no circuit court fan. I did the high court circuit of Limerick hurling training, coaching, refereeing attending Bord nA NoG, City Board and County Boards. More I suspect than you ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

your a ham savannahkat.im a active member of the gaa and jack sheehen is a personal friend or mine im also on the board of st pats. which im very proud of.
    your still a ham and a very lonely soul god bless u.

When you cant win get personal, I see. Best of luck to you and Limerick next Sunday. I wont begrudge Limerick if they win in fact for the likes of Jack and the others I mentioned I would be quiet pleased, however if we do lose I wont be trying to make up lies and propaganda to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Tommy caught the ball over Benny's head. Benny didn't like the way Tommy caught the ball and drew on him. If that's provocation they may give hurlers reinforced helmets in the future. BTW Benny is offering himself as a pundit on Newstalk these days. Why doesn't' he explain his motivation for the pull?
    He is with Second Captains on RTE every sunday. At least get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Those of ye taking the train on sunday, the 10:25 is as good as sold out, with the 9:15 following just behind it.. just as a head ups :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

None. And Brennan should have got the line for what he did to lucey and Hickey as should Noel Hickey for a dirty stroke which hanelai pointed out earlier. Umpires must have been busy doing nothing because the whole hill saw it.

I'm still waiting for Savannahkat to put up who got the most red cards etc dished out to teams as he said he'd all the stats but told us to find out for our selves.

For the record, I'm not saying Kilkenny won all their all Ireland's by dirt, far from it, they had a team of great hurlers and one of the best hurlers of all time in shefflin, but based on our experience of 2007 its not surprising many people on here have the opinion that they were a dirty team as it was the only game we played ye in - just like ye may have the opinion of Benny Dunne being dirty due to the Tommy incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Will ye knock it off about the dirty stuff. It doesn't matter a sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Browney7 wrote: »
    None. And Brennan should have got the line for what he did to lucey and Hickey as should Noel Hickey for a dirty stroke which hanelai pointed out earlier. Umpires must have been busy doing nothing because the whole hill saw it.

I'm still waiting for Savannahkat to put up who got the most red cards etc dished out to teams as he said he'd all the stats but told us to find out for our selves.

For the record, I'm not saying Kilkenny won all their all Ireland's by dirt, far from it, they had a team of great hurlers and one of the best hurlers of all time in shefflin, but based on our experience of 2007 its not surprising many people on here have the opinion that they were a dirty team as it was the only game we played ye in - just like ye may have the opinion of Benny Dunne being dirty due to the Tommy incident.

Even the ref were intimidated by Cody.

Their style of play certainly contributed to their success. But we are agreed they were 1 of the greatest teams ever. And I don't think they are very far off what they were at their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Oh for gods sake, Walsh was behind him pushing up the back of the helmet so the front came down over his face, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Maybe it was a bad example then, but it would surprise me if there wasn't some sort of provocation; that's what backs do- at all levels of the game. Trying to make your marker do something stupid... obviously nobody wants to receive a belt of a hurl, but if you can force them to make a mistake or give away a stupid free, it's an advantage to you.

Some of our players have been known to do stupid things in the past.

I think if you go to Youtube and watch the game from the point at which Dunne takes the field, keeping an eye out for what happens anytime the ball comes within 20 yards of Walsh's and Dunne's position, you might move from your underlying suggestion that Walsh provoked the incident to one that Dunne came on with the intention of teaching Tommy a lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I'm glad Kilkenny don't play Limerick too often, I thought the ****e being spouted here had been confined to history. It appears that a lot of Limerick posters still rely on Ger Loughnane to form their opinions for them.

In the 07 all-ireland Eddie Brennan should have got the line and Hickey was lucky not to as well, I think everyone can acknowledge that. I suppose it's not surprising then that some Limerick people have taken those incidents to mean that Kilkenny were/are a dirty team, but I would argue that you would find games involving any other hurling team where if taken in isolation would lead you to believe that the team is a dirty team. Every team has days where the discipline could have been better but you should watch them over many games before forming an opinion on them being dirty or not. Since posters here are concentrating on one All-Ireland final, why not include the 2006,2008,2009,2010,2012 finals and then see if you think Kilkenny were dirty?

Over the last 15 years Kilkenny have been the most dominant team by far and in doing so became the most scrutinized team in the country, being involved in by far the most televised games of any team. People became tired of getting their arses handed to them by Kilkenny and when there was an occasional break down in discpline (which happens to all teams playing and winning competitive games) there was mass histeria with the arm chair supporters who watch a few televised games a year and the Loughnane sheep jumping on the anti-Kilkenny bandwagon with every misdemeanour analyzed and exaggerated and labelled as a purely Kilkenny trait.

Ulimately Kilkenny were labelled a dirty with some Kilkenny players being demonized in the media and by some GAA fans. All the while Kilkenny were not doing anything that other teams were not. Then every so often a team comes along and beats or almost beats Kilkenny, earning acclaim for 'out-Kilkennying' Kilkenny by beating them at their own game, by matching them for 'physicality' and people have no problem with other teams taking a robust approach with Kilkenny (a prime recent example being Cork vs Kilkenny last year and Shane O' Neills free for all)

One can only conclude then that the labelling of Kilkenny is bourne out of familiarity with the KK team and the fatigue of being beaten by them. If examined rationally Kilkenny's disciplnary record is excellent, one need only watch all games between Galway and Kilkenny in recent years to get an example of a team with a real nasty streak and a poor disciplnary record.

A few posters have stated that Kilkenny are not as dirty as the once were, this is not the case, Kilkenny haven't changed. It's just at this stage that most people have seen enough of Kilkenny to realize that the tired cliches about Kilkenny being a dirty team simply don't wash anymore (except in Limerick it seems). You can take any incident involving a Kilkenny player (the Tommy Walsh - Brian Gavin incident aside) and find a similar or much worse offence commited by a player on most top inter county teams, yet those teams don't seem to attract the labelling Kilkenny have. Why is this? Kilkenny's success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Why are isolated incidents from the past being brought up, Kilkenny are far from a dirty team, they won what they did on merit with their hurling, nothing else, all teams have a few blemishes from the past, Kilkenny's are analyzed more because of their success but to try and claim they got away with some dark arts on the field is ludicrous. A referee can't catch everything and sometimes he makes mistakes, this has usually benefited every team now and again in the past, perhaps Kilkenny at times, as are highlighted, the teams they beat probably were guilty of the same but it is not remembered because it won't be used as stick to beat them with.

If we go up and beat them, if it all clicks, it will be because we outhurled and outfought a very good team, not far off their peak. It will not be because Kilkenny didn't get the chance to bully us of the pitch unfairly. A big ask as it is I hope it is memorable game and may the best team win all the same. It's silly going on about nonsense from the past, just enjoy the game for what it is.

Why are isolated incidents from the past being brought up, Kilkenny are far from a dirty team, they won what they did on merit with their hurling, nothing else, all teams have a few blemishes from the past, Kilkenny's are analyzed more because of their success but to try and claim they got away with some dark arts on the field is ludicrous. A referee can't catch everything and sometimes he makes mistakes, this has usually benefited every team now and again in the past, perhaps Kilkenny at times, as are highlighted, the teams they beat probably were guilty of the same but it is not remembered because it won't be used as stick to beat them with.

If we go up and beat them, if it all clicks, it will be because we outhurled and outfought a very good team, not far off their peak. It will not be because Kilkenny didn't get the chance to bully us of the pitch unfairly. A big ask as it is I hope it is memorable game and may the best team win all the same. It's silly going on about nonsense from the past, just enjoy the game for what it is.

Agreed.

Apart from the best team win. I'd prefer to win, whether we are the better team or not :pac:

Our team named tonight.

Expecting just to have Dodge back for Ryan, hoping for a tweak or two more. But one of the biggest things could be are Reidy, Allis & Dempsey fit for a bench.

The team that will face Kilkenny in Croke Park at 3.30pm is as follows:

1. Nickie Quaid (Effin)
    2. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    4. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher)
    5. Paudie O'Brien (Vice-Captain) (Kilmallock)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Gavin O'Mahony (Kilmallock)
    8. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Donal O'Grady (Captain) (Granagh/Ballyingarry)
    12. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    13. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock).

The one change is as expected, Dodge back in for Tom Ryan. Some number changes, not sure if they'll make an impact. Slightly disappointed that Tom Ryan isn't starting in the half-back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Not much more to be said, we're not 100% sure what the formation will be so that means KK wont either. Keep em guessing and rotate, make the changes quickly if needed is all i'll say. Good luck to em. Travelling with a share of confidence, there will be no implosion like last year, i'm certain of that, hopefully the breaks go our way and we come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

IMO Croke Park is not a place where sentimentality should be adhered to.
    I don't see how in two weeks a groin/calf injury that even stopped DOG even taking the subs bench can have cleared up 100%.

You need 15 100% fit players for Croke Park and especially against Kilkenny. If O'Grady is 100% well and good.
    If he is not, then he himself could be depriving himself the chance to walk up the steps of Hogan Stand on the first Sunday in September. It in effect is like giving KK a three point headstart.

With that out of the way, I'm happy with the relative selection, how we line up is another thing. But the one thing I would do is not change too much in any sector (defence, midfield, attack). For example, Condon should not follow Power to half forward and let GOM go in corner it will be suicide. I don't want us to pick a man and mark him. Stick to our positions. The team trusted each other in every match so far. They have to try and keep the same lines that have played together so far in Championship.

In the regard, Eoin Larkin is probably going to be employed in a sweeper role and that's where DOG inclusion comes into play.
    I've talked about Dodge acting as a sweeper before the Wexford game with a view to this game against KK. How Ryan, Clarke and Beary set out tactically is key.

As for the forwards, I hope that Hannon is centre forward and runs at Brian Hogan. I presume we will see a two man full forward in operation most of the day with Mulcahy and Downes alternating shifts on the outside whilst one joins Dowling in the square.

IMO the way to beat KK is isolate JJ Delaney 1-on-1 with either Downes or Dowling. Galway did it to great effect two years ago in the Leinster final with Canning in there. I'd try and keep the ball away from Paul Murphy as much as possible. The guy is a colossus in the corner. I would be afraid of Tyrell.

We're going to need to be cold & ruthless, impose our gameplan and have the game of our lives to win this one, it can be done and here's hoping coming Sunday 5pm we will be celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

francozola wrote: »
    IMO the way to beat KK is isolate JJ Delaney 1-on-1 with either Downes or Dowling. Galway did it to great effect two years ago in the Leinster final with Canning in there.

I'm fairly sure JJ missed that match through injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

You are correct, Noel Hickey started but my point is to expose the full back on a 1-on-1 with two of our best men in the air.

I'd even be tempted to start Breen in there for the first 5 minutes and try a high ball in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Demand must be low, my club were allocated seats in section 306 (dead centre, Cusack stand). I'll be surprised if this breaks 45000.

Team as expected, which is fine, I don't think anyone has an issue with the starting 15. I have every faith in each and every one of those players, but every player will have an off day. And TJ needs to be a little more ruthless if it appears someone is having an off day, he is perhaps a little too loyal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Demand must be low, my club were allocated seats in section 306 (dead centre, Cusack stand). I'll be surprised if this breaks 45000.

Team as expected, which is fine, I don't think anyone has an issue with the starting 15. I have every faith in each and every one of those players, but every player will have an off day. And TJ needs to be a little more ruthless if it appears someone is having an off day, he is perhaps a little too loyal!

It's nothing like last year as far as I can see. Most bandwagon fans think LK will lose, last year the thinking was that AI was on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement