Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭droppingball

Correct to try and isolate JJ one on one but it would need to be angled low ball like what Cork did last year when Horgan got a few scores of him, but JJ would love a one on one with Breen in the air. He is the best fielder of a ball I have ever seen, cleaned Dan Shanahan and many a big man in his time, has also cleaned Canning a number of times including in 09 in tullamore only for Cannings wonder goal.

I know Breen is no slouch when he gets the legs pumping but Downes or Mulcahy would be quicker i would have thought, the thing is Kilkenny won't panic and won't be afraid to go man to man with the match ups. Good start is keys for both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

KK have an excellent full back line, which is bad as currently our strongest line. Also Hogan at midfield is a serious player so they can match us in our strong areas. Where we are weak they can clean us out unfortunately. The match totally comes down to our half back line. We only need parity we dont even have to dominate as think we will get enough scores to win the match.

There was a full game monday evening and a few players were moved around enough to give me confidence that if a player is underperforming he will be brought off.

Have never followed the seniors with confidence before even in 94-96. Always had confidence in that u-21 side and it came down to their attitude, tis senior side are similar i think. There made of the right stuff, here's hoping we get the breaks to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Kilkenny have been lining out quite "unKilkenny-like" this year. If Larkin is named corner forward but plays as a third midfielder again does Hickey follow?

Kilkenny have been lining out quite "unKilkenny-like" this year. If Larkin is named corner forward but plays as a third midfielder again does Hickey follow?

Hard to call, if he does follow it leaves space inside and if their half forwards are dominating in the air then it almost cartainly means KK goals. For me no (not bothered if they score a few points from outthe field) for the first 15 anyway until we settle and see how things pan out, but i think management will go man for man, a little worrying alright. Hickey could be a good MOTM bet if he does sweep (think he might get a bit of a charity vote give the 07 final)

Hard to call, if he does follow it leaves space inside and if their half forwards are dominating in the air then it almost cartainly means KK goals. For me no (not bothered if they score a few points from outthe field) for the first 15 anyway until we settle and see how things pan out, but i think management will go man for man, a little worrying alright. Hickey could be a good MOTM bet if he does sweep (think he might get a bit of a charity vote give the 07 final)

I still think the effect he had for us against Tipp when he followed McGrath out the field was massive. Not only neutralised McGrath but had a big impact in general play himself. Could be a similar situation here. Of course if he does move out the half back line have to sit back very close to the full back line, which will probably leave kk half forwards free... It'll be interesting anyway. Of Hickey is left free that could massively shore up our weak half back line.

• Advertisement

I still think the effect he had for us against Tipp when he followed McGrath out the field was massive. Not only neutralised McGrath but had a big impact in general play himself. Could be a similar situation here. Of course if he does move out the half back line have to sit back very close to the full back line, which will probably leave kk half forwards free... It'll be interesting anyway. Of Hickey is left free that could massively shore up our weak half back line.

He'll definitely do damage out the field but if the ball is gone over his head its too late. Im happy for him to follow as far as the half back line or play just behind it. Given the average form of some of our backs and the naivety shown in defence at times v wexford id prefer to limit their space. We'll still score even if they have larkin as a 3rd midfielder, id be conservative for the 1st 15 to 20 anyway. Also hickey is our quickest back, thats a resource that needs to be kept close to goal early on, it suits KK more to see him move out than us i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's a tough one... if he does come out the field, that's where he's more comfortable imo, he'll get through a mountain of work and might do a bit to help contain Richie Hogan.

But even the best full-back line can be exposed if isolated, and Condon & McCarthy could be hurt if there is a load of space for two inside forwards. I would expect KK to try and pull every line back so that does happen. If Hickey stays, he could nullify that threat but then they could clean up around the middle.

I don't know what to do in that situation... maybe pull one of our inside line out?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

My hope is that this does happen. Richie and Tom have enough to hold their own in a two man situation (bar Richie being pulled all over the place). Hickey is a good corner man but a fantastic man marker with loose play responsibilities. I think Cody will be wary of drawing Hickey out the field. He may play Larkin at half forward with a roaming role in open play. This would cause problems for GOM And POB.

Midfield will be the biggest issue. Who will shut down Hogan? The two lads are dynamic and forward moving but not exactly sticky. This may be where the game is won and lost.

I'd like to see more threat on the edge of the square. Dowling has been fantastic but this game is made for Downes. Create space left and right and I believe that he can be the difference.

Hoping for the very best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

First team since 2011, 15 players who played most championship minutes listed in their most common position that year, and next 5 players who played most minutes listed as the 5 subs. Ages in brackets.

N.Quaid (22)
    - D.Moloney (24) --- S.Hickey (24) --- T.Condon (24)
    W.McNamara (25) --- B.Geary (31) --- G.O'Mahony (24)
    D.O'Grady (31) --- P.Browne (22)

N.Moran (28) --- J.Ryan (24) ---D.Hannon (19)
    --G.Mulcahy (21) --- K.Downes (20) --- S.Tobin (22)

SUBS; R.McCarthy (24), M.O'Riordan (31), S.Walsh (26), D.Reale (30), D.Breen (26).

N.Quaid (23)
    S.Walsh (27) --- R.McCarthy (25) --- T.Condon (25)
    W.McNamara (26) --- D.O'Grady (32) --- G.O'Mahony (25)
    J.Ryan (25) --- P.O'Brien (23)
    S.Dowling (19) --- D.Hannon (20) --- D.Breen (27)
    G.Mulcahy (22) --- N.Moran (29) --- S.Tobin (23)

SUBS; B.Geary (32), P.Browne (23), T.O'Brien (22), K.Downes (21), C.Allis (22).

N.Quaid (24)
    S.Walsh (28) --- R.McCarthy (26) --- T.Condon (26)
    P.O'Brien (24) --- W.McNamara (27) --- G.O'Mahony (26)
    P.Browne (24) --- D.O'Grady (33)
    -- D.Breen (28) --- J.Ryan (26) --- S.Hickey (26)
    G.Mulcahy (23) --- D.Hannon (21) --- S.Tobin (24)

SUBS; K.Downes (22), S.Dowling (20), N.Moran (30), C.Allis (23), C.King (26).

N.Quaid (25)
    T.Condon (27) --- R.McCarthy (27) --- S.Hickey (27)
    P.O'Brien (25) --- W.McNamara (28) --- G.O'Mahony (27)
    J.Ryan (27) --- P.Browne (25) ---
    D.Hannon (22) --- D.O'Grady (34) --- D.Breen (29)
    G.Mulcahy (24) --- S.Dowling (21) --- K.Downes (23)

SUBS; S.Tobin (25), T.Ryan (22), S.Walsh (29), N.Moran (31), T.O'Brien (24).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I woud give Limerick every chance tomorrow and I have already snapped up the 9/4 on offer. If tipp were playing the cats tomorrow we would fancy our chances and the odds would not be 9/4 yet limerick who have beaten tipp for last two tears and should have won the year before that are 9/4! Doesn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I woud give Limerick every chance tomorrow and I have already snapped up the 9/4 on offer. If tipp were playing the cats tomorrow we would fancy our chances and the odds would not be 9/4 yet limerick who have beaten tipp for last two tears and should have won the year before that are 9/4! Doesn't make sense to me.

Hope you win you bet ;)

Goes without saying, but a good start is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

My hope is that this does happen. Richie and Tom have enough to hold their own in a two man situation (bar Richie being pulled all over the place). Hickey is a good corner man but a fantastic man marker with loose play responsibilities. I think Cody will be wary of drawing Hickey out the field. He may play Larkin at half forward with a roaming role in open play. This would cause problems for GOM And POB.

Midfield will be the biggest issue. Who will shut down Hogan? The two lads are dynamic and forward moving but not exactly sticky. This may be where the game is won and lost.

I'd like to see more threat on the edge of the square. Dowling has been fantastic but this game is made for Downes. Create space left and right and I believe that he can be the difference.

Who is this Hickey guy. Sounds like he is some super-hurler if Brian Cody is setting out his stall to counteract this one guy. Captain Fantastic, Captain Marvel, Batman, Robin, The Hulk and Spider man all rolled into one. Must be a new guy cause it cant be the guy Eddie Brennan strolled around in 07.
    and that was before Brennan even got warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Who is this Hickey guy. Sounds like he is some super-hurler if Brian Cody is setting out his stall to counteract this one guy. Captain Fantastic, Captain Marvel, Batman, Robin, The Hulk and Spider man all rolled into one. Must be a new guy cause it cant be the guy Eddie Brennan strolled around in 07.
    Who is this hickey guy? He's the guy that kk in true kk style went out and roughed him up because he was a young guy new to the team.

Who is this hickey guy? He's the guy that kk in true kk style went out and roughed him up because he was a young guy new to the team.

Thanks Dan, I would be disappointed if we had not and if Limerick were so concerned about his well being why did they put him out in the first place if he couldn't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Thanks Dan, I would be disappointed if we had not and if Limerick were so concerned about his well being why did they put him out in the first place if he couldn't handle it.

Do you think Cody has his head in the sand. KK have maximised weaknesses and minimised strengths of opposing teams for a decade and I'm sure Cody knows that Hickey is more vulnerable in the corner then roaming around the middle where he can play a lot looser.

Glad to see he cats are already rattled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The irony of you giving out about how Kk got some bad belts off teams over the past few years yet condoning the filth that went on then isn't lost on anyone in here

You've had some awful dumb posts in the lead up to this match. Donal O'Grady's preview had three points in it, his third was that Cody was going to have to sacrifice a forward to making decoy runs to take Hickey away from the play.

Browney7 wrote: »
    The irony of you giving out about how Kk got some bad belts off teams over the past few years yet condoning the filth that went on then isn't lost on anyone in here

More shy%e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

More shy%e

You're a great head in the sand merchant in fairness. When confronted on anything you say here you just come on with bluster and cr4p. Enjoy the game

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Limerick left it after them.
    Great chance gone.
    In the last 2 minutes LK did not seem to know what to do with the ball.
    The chances were there

Any one else think this

• Advertisement

A shame we lost that one, could and probably should have won it. Few missed chances, the goals were the difference. Still, they put in a very good performance.

Limerick left it after them.
    Great chance gone.
    In the last 2 minutes LK did not seem to know what to do with the ball.
    The chances were there

Any one else think this

KK crowded us in the last few mins. Very hard have composure in that situation. Dowlings missed free was very costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Have to agree, bit headless towards the end, going for goal the last 10. The quality of the bench showed slightly as well. Have to be proud of the team though, Hannons shoulder set down a marker in the second half. Hopefully the country recognizes we weren't getting lucky against Tipp, Wexford and Cork, the team can hurl and they haven't anything to be ashamed for looking into the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Rightwing wrote: »
    KK crowded us in the last few mins. Very hard have composure in that situation. Dowlings missed free was very costly.
    Yes that is true. Have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Two points stand out in the winning and losing of the game:
    1. The 5 minutes before half time - KK 1 - 2, LK 0 -0
    2. LK going for goals when the points were there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Hard luck to Limerick today, put up a
    massive battle today.
    All the players can hold their heads high,
    They gave their all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Disappointed, but very proud of those players. Did themselves justice after last years no show.

Can't wait to finally get home and put on some dry clothes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Disappointed, but very proud of those players. Did themselves justice after last years no show.

Can't wait to finally get home and put on some dry clothes!!!!

That rain was biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

cnoc wrote: »
    Two points stand out in the winning and losing of the game:
    1. The 5 minutes before half time - KK 1 - 2, LK 0 -0
    2. LK going for goals when the points were there for the taking.

Its one Limerick could have won. KK have it in the bag now. I do think Cork would be a bigger threat to them than Tipp. KK have Indian sign over Tipp, KK should be favourites and are hard to beat now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Hard luck ye put up a mighty fight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement