Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

I woud give Limerick every chance tomorrow and I have already snapped up the 9/4 on offer. If tipp were playing the cats tomorrow we would fancy our chances and the odds would not be 9/4 yet limerick who have beaten tipp for last two tears and should have won the year before that are 9/4! Doesn't make sense to me.
    Hope u didn't put ur house on it Dan??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Amprodude wrote: »
    Its one Limerick could have won. KK have it in the bag now. I do think Cork would be a bigger threat to them than Tipp. KK have Indian sign over Tipp, KK should be favourites and are hard to beat now.

I agree, KK are now 4/6 to win it.

LK had them on the ropes at times but couldn't deliver a knockout blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

pat 22 wrote: »
    Hope u didn't put ur house on it Dan??!

House? The bookies wouldn't be bothered with it.

Rightwing wrote: »
    A shame we lost that one, could and probably should have won it.

How do you make that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

citykat wrote: »

Limerick gaa will dine out on this theme of being the better team etc for the next 20 years, another chapter to unlimited heartbreak perhaps?
    The better team won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Nice to see we didn't freeze in croke park

sean mac wrote: »
    Limerick gaa will dine out on this theme of being the better team etc for the next 20 years, another chapter to unlimited heartbreak perhaps?
    The better team won.

I thought it was very close to call tbh. But to say LK could and should have won is stretching it I think.

citykat wrote: »

Limited KK to 1-04 in the second half, if we had taken chances it was in the bag, but KK also missed some. A draw would have been fair I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Racke

Have just come back from the game and watched the sunday game replays. A few points stand out. KK went for goals early on when could/should have taken points. Some shots dropped short into golies hands. Good but maybe against run of play goal at end of first half to send kk in up by 2 points. Limerick came out firing on all cylndrs for 2 nd half but couldnt get on top no matter how hard they tried. KK held their composuer at most times. Their work rate was top notch. No panic, kept getting stuck in. Maybe the experience of the big game showed(no panic). In the last 4/5 mins kk fought so hard that Limk couldnt get a decent pass in. Kk won out in the end. Lim will be dissappointed but it was a brillient game under dreadful conditions(for both teams). Its always hardn to lose by one score. I think that Lim have done Kk a big favour. KK now know that they have a huge amount of work to do if they are to have any hope of winning another AI. Kk forwards not clicking like in previous years. Will need all the top lads to start for the next day. Hard luck to Lim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Gutting. Absolutely sick. :(:(:(:(

But so proud of the team, they did perform, and it must be a million times worse for them than it is for the supporters... there isn't really any consolation you can give at the moment. :(

That's all I can say tonight, horrible feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Gutting. Absolutely sick. :(:(:(:(

But so proud of the team, they did perform, and it must be a million times worse for them than it is for the supporters... there isn't really any consolation you can give at the moment. :(

That's all I can say tonight, horrible feeling.

I couldn't give a f**k about hurling any more so its hard to imagine what the players are thinking. Just not meant to be. The hollow sympathies that "their day will come" just make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ned Walsh

sean mac wrote: »
    The better team won.

Doubt it. Limerick did all the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Ned Walsh wrote: »
    Doubt it. Limerick did all the hurling

You must convert the scores. Limerick have left 2 glorious chances behind them these 2 years. They prob believed they couldn't win because it was KK they were playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Amprodude wrote: »
    You must convert the scores. Limerick have left 2 glorious chances behind them these 2 years. They prob believed they couldn't win because it was KK they were playing.

Nonsense. I can only conclude you didn't actually watch the match if you looked at that Limerick team and got the impression they lacked belief they could win this. That game was fought and won and lost on the pitch, both teams were spot on mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Nonsense. I can only conclude you didn't actually watch the match if you looked at that Limerick team and got the impression they lacked belief they could win this. That game was fought and won and lost on the pitch, both teams were spot on mentally.

Limerick should have kept tagging on the points instead of going for goals when they weren't on. It would have won the game for them. It should have been coached to them when game was tight. Limerick had a good team 2013-14 but chances like these don't come around too often. I hope Cork or Tipp take KK in final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Just turned phone on after yesterday..
    The players must be distraught, god knows that train home with fans was heartbreaking enough.. Left absolutely everything behind them on the day.. Could say shoulda taken easy points rather that going for goals, but v.easy to say looking back.

Doesn't really soften yesterday, but keep.up performances like thst and we'll be there come September sooner rather than later...

Hearing Tj may have to apply again for the job? Disgrace if true really..

You'd swear it was played in sunny conditions, the rain was so intense that visibility was an issue (Kilkenny hit more wides than usual and only registered 13 points) and as well as that the wet (thus heavier) ball meant that this was not a game where you routinely pick off points within the 35-65 yard range.

Why else did Dowling hit a short pass forward to Hannon into space from a free about 45 yards out that he'd normally tap over for fun? And there was always the chance of a goal, in those conditions there's always the chance of a handling error or a dropped pass.

TJ has to reapply because I think this technically speaking was a temporary management team after O'Grady stepping down effectively null and voided the previous agreement. His reappointment is surely no more than a formality. I'm no fan of our county board but there is nothing untoward going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Agreed re TJ. Its just a formality. People are really looking for a story where none exists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

slegs wrote: »
    Agreed re TJ. Its just a formality. People are really looking for a story where none exists

Was hoping this was the,case, never know with our Cb though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Was hoping this was the,case, never know with our Cb though!

If the minors win the AI, it may not be such a formality for TJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Vanolder wrote: »

It will be a formality either way

Vanolder wrote: »

No chance. Only way TJ won't have the job in 2015 is if he opts not to apply for it. He wants it and will probably be given two years. If Bryan Ryan and his backroom team have a role with Limerick next year I can only see it being with the minors or the under 21's.

If we had won that match I wouldn't blame Kilkenny for being very angry at the decision not to send O'Grady off. In fairness that was a terrible decision by the ref.

I wouldn't criticise O'Grady, I'm pretty sure he knew it was a case of trip him and get sent off our don't trip him and they get the goal that finishes Limerick off. One of those "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. I think he did the right thing but he really should have been sent off.

I hope he's still around next year, maybe not as a starter but a fresh O'Grady for 20 minutes is an excellent option from the bench, and his versatility is a major plus.

McCarthy, Hickey, McNamara, Ryan, Browne and Dowling have put their hands up for All-Star nomination, maybe Mulcahy and Hannon as well. I'd like to think Hickey, Dowling and Ryan will win All-Stars. Dowling for Young Hurler of the year.

A shame to be talking about All-Stars and not an upcoming final appearance :(

I think Graeme Mulcahy made great strides this year, he used to be kept quiet against bigger teams but he had a positive impact in each game this year.

Have we ever had a better midfield partnership than Ryan-Browne? Certainly the best we've had since Houlihan-Carey.

Richie McCarthy is a colossus.

Wayne McNamara is as honest and hard working player we'll ever have, his hard work has paid dividends because he has visibly improved every year.

Declan Hannon; if he finds a bit of self belief he would be devastating; a bad game for Hannon is a good game for many forwards. He's the type of player who might only touch the ball only 6 times in a match and still score four points. He was good overall yesterday but a mixed year again. But one thing we have found out is his and Limericks future will be best served by picking him in the number 11 jersey.

All-Ireland still needs to be the target next year, but we really need to get out of 1B in the NHL next year. Need more experience against the top teams. And we need to inject a bit of youth in the spring next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

very well done to limerick yesterday they did there best for sure and played very well, this kk side are very good and i think they will go on to win.best of luck to them.
    limerick are a young side with plenty of scope an will be back,a serious improvement from 12 months ago.
    thoughts are with the minors now and best of luck sunday lads give it holly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

If we had won that match I wouldn't blame Kilkenny for being very angry at the decision not to send O'Grady off. In fairness that was a terrible decision by the ref.

I wouldn't criticise O'Grady, I'm pretty sure he knew it was a case of trip him and get sent off our don't trip him and they get the goal that finishes Limerick off. One of those "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. I think he did the right thing but he really should have been sent off.

I hope he's still around next year, maybe not as a starter but a fresh O'Grady for 20 minutes is an excellent option from the bench, and his versatility is a major plus.

McCarthy, Hickey, McNamara, Ryan, Browne and Dowling have put their hands up for All-Star nomination, maybe Mulcahy and Hannon as well. I'd like to think Hickey, Dowling and Ryan will win All-Stars. Dowling for Young Hurler of the year.

A shame to be talking about All-Stars and not an upcoming final appearance :(

I think Graeme Mulcahy made great strides this year, he used to be kept quiet against bigger teams but he had a positive impact in each game this year.

Have we ever had a better midfield partnership than Ryan-Browne? Certainly the best we've had since Houlihan-Carey.

Richie McCarthy is a colossus.

Wayne McNamara is as honest and hard working player we'll ever have, his hard work has paid dividends because he has visibly improved every year.

Declan Hannon; if he finds a bit of self belief he would be devastating; a bad game for Hannon is a good game for many forwards. He's the type of player who might only touch the ball only 6 times in a match and still score four points. He was good overall yesterday but a mixed year again. But one thing we have found out is his and Limericks future will be best served by picking him in the number 11 jersey.

All-Ireland still needs to be the target next year, but we really need to get out of 1B in the NHL next year. Need more experience against the top teams. And we need to inject a bit of youth in the spring next year too.

inject a bit of youth?, tommy quaid has been on the panel for two years, how mch game time has he had, what about the guy that lost his place in the panel to a 34 year old.

flutered wrote: »
    inject a bit of youth?, tommy quaid has been on the panel for two years, how mch game time has he had, what about the guy that lost his place in the panel to a 34 year old.
    There is a misconception that we have a young team, but from 1-9 our players are all aged between 25 and 28. That's not young as such nowadays, they're all in their prime I would feel, they've had their 3-4 year integration/experience building phase and now they are in their 3-4 year prime/peak phase of their playing career. Sure, a few of them may well last a bit longer than that but we need a bit more competition and it is preferable to have a few lads under the age of 24 knocking on the door. One player who we need to target is Alan Dempsey.

The age profile of the forwards is quite good however, we have players who can be considered experienced despite being in their early to mid 20's.

We've basically had the same team for for years now.

Also, off the top of my head Tommy Quaid and Tomas Ryan are 24 and 23, young-ish, but I don't think Tommy Quaid will ever become a regular starter. Ryan has a make or break year ahead of him, he has shown signs that he could do a job as a regular starter, O'Grady's position may well be up for grabs next year, up to the likes of Ryan and Allis to force their way onto the team now.

I'd just be afraid of things becoming a bit stale is all.

Didn't really matter whether DOG was sent off or not. He was spent at that stage. Huge effort, shame we didn't win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You won an admirer here in Dublin lads. Some serious guts and heart in that Limerick side. Credit to the county and people of Limerick.

Your time will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Absolute devastation is the only way I can describe yesterday. It was a game that had everything and we just couldn't land a knock out punch on Kilkenny yesterday.

We should all appreciate the mammoth effort those men in green put in yesterday and since January training in the wind and rain and we owe them a huge deal of gratitude. The commitment shown by every player yesterday to the jersey and to one another was immense.

I really thought when we went 2 points up we were going to do it. Some of the challenges we put in and just making life difficult for Kilkenny was something I've never seen from a team in green. Looking back on the game the desire shown from Kilkenny when we got it back to a one point game was just incredible. They blocked down I'd say five shots and it culminated in GOM hitting it straight into Richie Hogan.

A special word for Gavin O'Mahoney, Declan Hannon and Seamus Hickey. Three brilliant performances. Deccie really stood up yesterday and shot some wonderful scores and showed why we all think he's a special player. Seamus has had arguably his finest season in a green shirt and yesterday he was a giant in defence. As for GOM, there was plenty said about our half back line in the lead up to the game but they gave it everything they had and hurled like we know they can.

I said last year I doubted we would come back as strong after the Clare defeat and the boys proved me wrong. I hope they can kick on again next year. Moral victories and winning admirers and kind words like "your day will come" just don't cut it for this group of players.

It really was just the bounce of the ball in it yesterday and part of me thinks we have to get a bit of luck in Croke park at some stage. The Clare goal last year was like a scrum and yet when the same thing happened for us Kilkenny got it away. Power's overhead flick hit the net yet Dowling's was saved by Herrity. Such is sport as TJ said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

We'll get plenty of All-Star nominations, but there's no way we'll win more than 3 for not making the final. Dublin got 3 last year....

McCarthy is the best full-back in the country. The best at what he does, the best performers this year, and was a colossus again yesterday. Don't think any of the others deserve to get ahead of him barring two monster performances from someone left.

Hickey definitely deserves one too, and will get one, because he's always been a media favourite. Impressive in every game so far, and sensational in the air against KK.

And Dowling probably should get one. Our best forward against Tipp, electric against Cork, 2-3 from play against Wexford and very prominent again yesterday... won a load of ball and scored 0-2 from play.

I think Quaid has been up there as best keeper, but he won't get it. Wayne Mac will get a nomination but won't get it. Both midfielders will get a nomination but are unlucky that there are other class midfielders, Richie Hogan & Walsh/Kearney will end up getting it. Hannon will now get a nomination, but 2 good games won't be enough... Mulcahy will get a nomination too, but because we didn't reach the final, he won't get one- when you've got the likes of Cadogan, Bubbles, Callanan, Colin Fennelly, Horgan contending too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement