Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

francozola wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that midfield should be changed, I was highlighting how in the last few years, the teams who have won the AI, have had players playing in positions where if they were in Limerick they would not be in an asses roar of playing in those positions, hence my example of Richie Hogan being a corner forward only.

Fireball, I see ye won the City JBFC during the weekend. Ye'll surely win the county now with the players ye have. I was amazed to hear ye are only Junior B with only 3 teams in the City JAFC.

James Ryan, supposedly broke his jaw in the relegation final at the weekend. Big blow for the Bouncers and their promotion push if he's out for an extended period of time.

Hickey wing forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

ITs a fair point about getting more dynamic players involved out the field. However KK are exceptional they have 15 dynamic hurlers a lot of whom could play anywhere. We're not at that level yet but going in the right direction, if we could get the right 15 on the pitch in their best positions we can beat anyone. We had KK on the ropes this year. Between ourselves and clare next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

francozola wrote: »
    Fireball, I see ye won the City JBFC during the weekend. Ye'll surely win the county now with the players ye have. I was amazed to hear ye are only Junior B with only 3 teams in the City JAFC.

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea how the junior football structures make any sense tbh. There's no point having a 3-team Championship, surely it should be combined... not much between any of those teams anyway.

You'd think we'd go on and win, but no guarantees... I would say we are too good to be in the bottom tier tbh.

As for trying players in different positions, Donal O'Grady used to employ Mulcahy around midfield quite a bit, and he featured there for the U-21s when we won Munster. He was also capable of racking up big scores, so a drifting role was utilised for him rather than an out-and-out midfield role. I wouldn't be against him being employed in that kind of role again, I do think he's good at it.... I just think that we don't have enough lethal forwards to justify it.

Adding the likes of Cian Lynch & Barry Nash to the team will improve us, they are strong, confident and dynamic. An All-Ireland is within our grasp, just have to make that extra step.

Listening on the radio to the county semi-finals.

Halfway through the first half in the Doon-Kilmallock game, 0-4 to 0-3 in favour of Doon. Minor goalkeeper Eoghan McNamara just made a wonder double save apparently, Eoin Ryan slotted the '65 though. Barry Murphy has scored 0-3 from frees for Doon, he's still U-17 and is causing Mark O'Loughlin problems according to Leo.

Kilmallock 0-10 Doon 0-9 at half-time.

Seems very nip-and-tuck. The two Mulcahys have got 0-2 apiece, Niall Maher got 0-2 for Doon, I think. Darragh O'Donovan seems to be having a good game for Doon. Kilmallock seemed to be getting on top towards the end of the half- Gavin, Paudie O'Brien, Robbie Egan prominent.

Leo saying it's not the most intense game, scores coming easily enough for both sides at times, but some poor decision-making.

• Advertisement

0-11 all. Dean Coleman gets his 2nd point, but had a goal chance.

Kilmallock win by 2. Tit-for-tat the whole way, but Robbie Hanley got a late score to put Kilmallock in front, then Eoin Ryan scored a free. Cathal Mc missed a last-minute 21-yard free which would have won it for Doon.

He had missed a penalty earlier. Eoin Ryan tapped a penalty over the bar for Kilmallock.

Sounds like experience played a big part in the end, Kilmallock didn't panic and got the last 3 points.

Ahane started very well against Na Piarsaigh, were well on top, went 0-5 to 0-2 up but NaP have scored 1-5 without reply, a super goal from Shane Dowling.

The quality of the Na Piarsaigh starting fifteen is absolutely ridiculous, filled with county players, county underage stars and former county underage players. Missing Alan Dempsey, were able to bring in Kevin Ryan.

Niall Moran's missed a couple of frees for Ahane, they really need to get those scores. Kevin Downes gone in full-forward now, Shane Dowling coming out to centre-forward. Dan Morrissey was doing well on Downes.

1-9 to 0-5 for Na Piarsaigh at the break, Ahane haven't scored since the 9th minute. Looks like they have just too much quality.

Think I'm going to put money on them to win the All-Ireland. (Although Cratloe have a seriously talented team aswell).

Another goal for Shane Dowling..... that should kill that game.

• Advertisement

Red card for Mike Carr, bad to worse for Ahane.

NaP 2-13 Ahane 0-8.

Adrian Breen got NaP's 3rd goal, 1-3 for him. 3-18 to 0-8.

And another goal for Adrian Breen. 2-3 for him now. Apparently a super finish.

Dowling's on 2-6, 2-2 or 2-3 from play.

Final Score: Na Piarsaigh 4-20 Ahane 0-8

That's pretty clinical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Couldn't make it in to the semi's, I was hoping Doon would make the breakthrough this year but came up just short, they're the most likely team to break the Kilmallock/Na Piarsaigh stranglehold in the next few years however. Best two teams undoubtedly in the final, after 5 years of domination we finally have a these two meeting in the decider, looking forward to it.

County Cup final (Effin v Patrickswell) to be the curtain raiser. I really wish they would restore the minor final to that position.

I'm quite surprised by the results in the Junior championship; one (or potentially two) of Doon, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell will have a team in the senior and Intermediate ranks next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

I'm quite surprised by the results in the Junior championship; one (or potentially two) of Doon, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell will have a team in the senior and Intermediate ranks next year.

Do both Junior finalists go up this year? Is there a draw for the semis?

Pandiani wrote: »
    Do both Junior finalists go up this year? Is there a draw for the semis?

Turns out I'm wrong there actually, was originally proposed for 2 up/2 down between Inter and Junior but there's a relegation final scheduled for the IHC between Feenagh-Kilmeedy and Killeedy.

Open draw (kind of) in the semi's, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell to be kept apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Why isn't the minor hurling before the senior match?? That's the way it is in the football so why is the hurling different??

mickaleen wrote: »
    Why isn't the minor hurling before the senior match?? That's the way it is in the football so why is the hurling different??

Probably to add a bit of much needed artificial prestige to the county cup final.

It also prevents the problem presented by a club qualified for both minor and senior finals having a player represented on both panels on the same day. Could happen with Na Piarsaigh this year for example. I really wish they would bring it back though.

Obviously not a great judge, but with regard to players in contention for a county place, from listening to the radio.

Darragh O'Donovan sounded as if he was a big player for Doon, was involved with a lot of their good play.
    Dean Coleman- not afraid to take a man on, has serious pace, finished with 0-3, I think.
    Cathal McNamara- Won high ball after high ball. I think he'd be a serious addition to our half-back line. I know he was given a shot last year, but I'd like to see him get some league gametime, especially since our half-back line was a weak point.

Didn't really notice Richie English being mentioned much, but I reckon he'll be involved.

For Kilmallock, Robbie Egan seemed to be their go-to man under the high ball and is a powerful runner.
    Jake Mulcahy seemed to pop up with scores fairly regularly.
    Obviously Graeme, Gavin, Paudie were important.

Eoin Ryan was knocking over frees but don't think he's a senior intercounty player at this stage, maybe Kevin O'Donnell?

Dan Morrissey seemed to be a bright light for Ahane, don't think Downes had a big influence at all.

For Na Piarsaigh, Adrian Breen racked up a huge score. James O'Brien sounded like he had a powerful game too.

• Advertisement

Wasnt at games but people at it thought Richie English would make it and that Shane Dowling gave an exhibition. Cant make saturdays games either but hopefully someone goes along to see dylan dawson. Garry have a few injuries, jimbob got a heavy blow but didnt break jaw - could be up against it.

All-star nominations for our lads:

Richie McCarthy, Seamus Hickey, Wayne Mac, Paul Browne, Jim-Bob, Dec Hannon, Shane Dowling.

That's 7. I think Wayne is slightly lucky, but there were no standout centre-backs all year, he was solid bar the Tipp game, if still a bit loose.

Think Nicky Quaid is unlucky... he wasn't stand-out maybe, but he is just so so safe. His puckouts are excellent and he is just unbelievable under a high ball.

Graeme is the other one I think is worth a mention, Brian Carroll was a token nomination for Offaly but seriously... Mulcahy was a real thorn in the side for Cork, Wexford and was good against KK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

The whole all star process is laughable. They have Padraig Walsh as a nomination for an all star in the half back line even though he played just one game there. In the football they name Murphy of Donegal in the list of half fowards. Prob a few more that I missed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Very early on, but anyway,Clare in the Munster. Hurling QF,
    with Tipperary the reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Very early on, but anyway,Clare in the Munster. Hurling QF,
    with Tipperary the reward.

Tough draw, I was hoping we'd get Cork or Waterford in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Rightwing wrote: »
    Tough draw, I was hoping we'd get Cork or Waterford in the semi.

Tough is right, with Clare being the 'home team' would more than likely mean an early trip to Semple. Doubt they'd put it in Ennis..

Would have liked to have gotten Waterford though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Tough is right, with Clare being the 'home team' would more than likely mean an early trip to Semple. Doubt they'd put it in Ennis..

Would have liked to have gotten Waterford though..

Thurles is right, then if we beat them we are @ home v Tipp. A very lobsided Munster, top 3 teams in one half of the draw.

First round will be a repeat of the AI.

Perfect draw, we'll know where we stand after that.

Great draw, the one I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Rightwing wrote: »
    Thurles is right, then if we beat them we are @ home v Tipp. A very lobsided Munster, top 3 teams in one half of the draw.

Can't complain about the lobsided draw, we've had two generous draws the last two years. I'd fancy Waterford to trouble Cork like they did, they should have a few more minors added into their set up. Also, Munster Hurling is like Ulster football, it's always going to be competitive.
    First round will be a repeat of the AI.

Perfect draw, we'll know where we stand after that.
    Exactly, same as last year. If you're good enough you'll win otherwise changes will be needed and the qualifiers have shown you can fix things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement