Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The All-Ireland is there to be won next year, we better be the team to do it. It's a pity we couldn't get Paul Kinnerk on board, but I suppose if he says he's only taking a leave of absence, it would be a betrayal of sorts to a group of Clare players he's worked with for years.

Still though... KK are not the team they once were, Tipp got to a final this year but Limerick never feared Tipp ;) Clare will surely come back strong next year but we have to show we will never freeze like we did in 2013 again. Then you've got Cork, Dublin, Galway- all potentially good teams, but no better thana us.

Clare were definitely the best draw to get, we owe them one, it will be a very good test for us. And even if we were to lose, going out in the first-round and getting a good long qualifier run would probably improve us.

But there can be no excuses this year. We should have beaten Kilkenny this year, we really should have. We need to add a couple of players to our squad and be clinical in front of goal. Ronan Lynch is doing his Leaving Cert, I doubt he'll be available but Barry Nash, Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Richie English, Darragh O'Donovan, Kevin O'Brien... they should be involved during the league. I'd be looking at introducing players to the half-back line, possibly English, possibly Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Cathal McNamara, maybe James O'Brien, Tom Ryan, Dan Morrissey... just to have options. Cathal King & Alan Dempsey need to be given more of a chance. We need to try players, we need a bigger squad. The talent is there.

Promotion from the league, beating Clare in Munster and an All-Ireland. I'm not asking too much. But we'll take it step by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Promotion from the league is very important not in itself but rather for the 2016 season as those minors you mention (who I believe are too young to be introduced for 2015) will be competing against the best in the 2016 league campaign when they are that bit more mature. The league should though be used to increase the panel with out taking an eye off promotion. There has to be enough players knocking on the door in Limerick with out having to call on this years minors just yet.
    I have read here that it would be no harm if Limerick lost to Clare and went on the qualifier route. That is negativity in the extreme. If Limerick genuinely want to compete with the big boys then they have to adopt the big boy attitude of taking on all comers, at all times, at any venue with only one purpose and that is winning each and every game from challenges to Waterford crystal, to league, to championship. If they are good enough and I believe like Fireball that they are then they can only adopt one attitude and that is win, win, win, and it does not matter if the opposition is the Faroe islands. You go out to beat them first and then by as much as possible afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Promotion from the league is very important not in itself but rather for the 2016 season as those minors you mention (who I believe are too young to be introduced for 2015) will be competing against the best in the 2016 league campaign when they are that bit more mature. The league should though be used to increase the panel with out taking an eye off promotion. There has to be enough players knocking on the door in Limerick with out having to call on this years minors just yet.
    I have read here that it would be no harm if Limerick lost to Clare and went on the qualifier route. That is negativity in the extreme. If Limerick genuinely want to compete with the big boys then they have to adopt the big boy attitude of taking on all comers, at all times, at any venue with only one purpose and that is winning each and every game from challenges to Waterford crystal, to league, to championship. If they are good enough and I believe like Fireball that they are then they can only adopt one attitude and that is win, win, win, and it does not matter if the opposition is the Faroe islands. You go out to beat them first and then by as much as possible afterwards.

I agree with that. That's what KK do.
    In Munster Tipp are 1, I'd have us 2 and clare 3. So we should be looking to beat at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Preferred route would have been Waterford in the semi, who should be beatable, then lose the munster final so we get a good quarter final test against somebody like offaly, wexford, galway or Dublin etc. rather than win Munster and have too big a break.

The above I think is the easiest route for Limerick to win the AI.

Anyway it is what it is and Clare are beatable as there are several defections and issues in their camp, Tipperary also may be flat after losing an AI so equally beatable.

The only consolation of losing the semi 2 years in a row is its probably not as big a scar as losing the final.

elastico wrote: »
    Preferred route would have been Waterford in the semi, who should be beatable, then lose the munster final so we get a good quarter final test against somebody like offaly, wexford, galway or Dublin etc. rather than win Munster and have too big a break.

The above I think is the easiest route for Limerick to win the AI.

Anyway it is what it is and Clare are beatable as there are several defections and issues in their camp, Tipperary also may be flat after losing an AI so equally beatable.

The only consolation of losing the semi 2 years in a row is its probably not as big a scar as losing the final.

True. I think we are a bit off an AI. We can beat anyone on our day, but a lot of teams could also beat us. We need at least 1 more forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

A forward who can score goals a big help,or a goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

While I agree with everything you have said there savannahkat, especially what I highlighted in bold, there is one wee caveat. The fact is, the last 3 Munster champions that have gone into the All-Ireland semi final and have completely underperformed.

Unlucky or coincidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

conor mcgrath patrick o`connor and cathal mcinerney started against tipp in 2011 as 19 year olds when tipp were all ireland champions

clare started seadna morey colm galvin tony kelly and aaron cunningham against limerick in 2012. they were minors in 2011.
    shane o` donnell started in 2013 after being minor in 2012

if three or four of the minors are the best option available then they should start. their birth cert shouldn`t be relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

conor mcgrath patrick o`connor and cathal mcinerney started against tipp in 2011 as 19 year olds when tipp were all ireland champions

clare started seadna morey colm galvin tony kelly and aaron cunningham against limerick in 2012. they were minors in 2011.

if three or four of the minors are the best option available then they should start. their birth cert shouldn`t be relevant

Agreed and Limericks big problem with Seniors is in the forward line. And those minor forwards are some of the best Ive seen. I think there's a place for one or two of Ronan Lynch, Cian Lynch and Morrissey in that forward line next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree with that. That's what KK do.
    In Munster Tipp are 1, I'd have us 2 and clare 3. So we should be looking to beat at the very least.

Write Cork off at your peril! They are well capable of beating any of these 3 team.

• Advertisement

cnoc wrote: »
    Write Cork off at your peril! They are well capable of beating any of these 3 team.

They didn't look like beating Tipp in the semi, but that's another story. Cork are up there, but are missing something.

I'd say the 2 minors mentioned could do a job for us.

Bruff beat Garryspillane, and are promoted to senior. 0-21 to 1-09. Shane Bulfin scored 0-13, all frees I think (could be mistaken). Big win but Jim-Bob was surely a huge loss.

Draw in the other game between Blackrock & Croom. 1-17 each, Dylan Dawson got 1-10 for Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Na Piarsigh win another county final. Beat St.Senans by 2 pts.
    Some win for them.!!
    Senior in both grades next year and unusually there are very few players playing both codes...

All very true, but where were they this year at senior level. Burnt out already. It was the exception to the rule that such a young team went on to win the All Ireland last year. To the best of my knowledge only JJ Delaney and Tommy Walsh were promoted straight from minor to senior under Brian Cody so I am not saying it cannot be done but generally it is better to let them have the extra year or two to mature. Most will be playing Fitzgibbon, cup, senior and under 21 for their clubs, county under 21 and some may very well be playing Gaelic as well. It is too much for young players. Not disputing one word you posted but as said those named are very much the exception to the rule and you have to take Clare's displays this year into account if you want to use them as an example. Yes they won an excellent All Ireland but they also fell to a pretty average Wexford team not a full year later.

I don't think we can afford not to play some of the minors of the past couple of years. The best players can definitely do it- Tony Kelly, Colm Galvin, Joe Canning, Andrew O'Shaughnessy, Conor McDonald, Noel McGrath, Declan Hannon, Shane Dowling; I'm sure there are loads more.

Ronan Lynch is doing the Leaving Cert and is still playing Harty, I doubt he'll be involved tbqh. But for the rest... I'd include them in the squad at least. They don't have to be starters but even one or two quality additions like that would make a huge difference. Some of those players are the best players for their respective clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

All very true, but where were they this year at senior level. Burnt out already. It was the exception to the rule that such a young team went on to win the All Ireland last year. To the best of my knowledge only JJ Delaney and Tommy Walsh were promoted straight from minor to senior under Brian Cody so I am not saying it cannot be done but generally it is better to let them have the extra year or two to mature. Most will be playing Fitzgibbon, cup, senior and under 21 for their clubs, county under 21 and some may very well be playing Gaelic as well. It is too much for young players. Not disputing one word you posted but as said those named are very much the exception to the rule and you have to take Clare's displays this year into account if you want to use them as an example. Yes they won an excellent All Ireland but they also fell to a pretty average Wexford team not a full year later.

Conor McGrath looks far from burnout to me, Pat O Connor likewise. McInerney has been overtaken by younger emerging talent in Clare.

Clare haven't just gone away like, they'd a bad year but in 2001 Kilkenny didn't retain there title. Tipp haven't one another title since 2010. Cork didn't follow up after 1999. There's an unreal amount of talent and they will have some great years in the next ten no doubt.

Those minors can certainly join the Limerick senior setup now. You make a fair point about how many teams they'll be involved with but that can be managed. Tommy Walsh and JJ were the exceptions for Kilkenny so maybe some of these could be the Limerick exceptions. And also Limerick wouldn't have had the talent Kilkenny already in there team so the comparison should take that into consideration.

I think Limerick will win an all Ireland in the next three years.

Conor McGrath is probably playing the best hurling of his career at the moment. He was actually one player who had a better 2014 than he had a 2013, and absolutely destroyed backs in the Clare county championship.

I don't expect those young Limerick players to walk in and instantly be our best players, it'll probably take a few years for them to reach full maturity and perform as they can, but they will improve us straight away.

It has nothing to do with Clare not holding on to the title rather it is the way they went out this year which was extremely tame. Andrew O' Shaughnessy was an outstanding minor and an outstanding senior but to me he never fully realized his vast potential partly due to the unreal expectation placed on him from a very young age. Joe canning for all his brilliance has not set the senior world alight on any kind of a consistent basis. Conor McDonald is in his first year as a senior and it has yet to be determined if he will last the pace, same with young Gleeson from Waterford. I have no objections to 20 year olds joining senior I just believe that 18 and19 year olds are generally neither physically or mentally ready for the pressures that senior brings with it no matter how skillful or what size they are. There is no doubt that a lot of the Limerick minors of this and last year will become senior players of note. I would however be patient for the long term rather than impatient for the short term and take a chance of burning them out before they are ready.
    Limerick were not very far off winning this years All Ireland. I have great time for T.J Ryan and said so long before Limerick played either Kilkenny or Tipp this year. He has Limerick playing to Limerick's strengths which Kilkenny have always found to be a difficult type of hurling to beat and lately so to Tipperary. It will be more Limericks attitude than new players that will determine how successful Limerick are next year. Granted new talent is always welcome but the talent is already there to win.

Conor McGrath looks far from burnout to me, Pat O Connor likewise. McInerney has been overtaken by younger emerging talent in Clare.

Clare haven't just gone away like, they'd a bad year but in 2001 Kilkenny didn't retain there title. Tipp haven't one another title since 2010. Cork didn't follow up after 1999. There's an unreal amount of talent and they will have some great years in the next ten no doubt.

Those minors can certainly join the Limerick senior setup now. You make a fair point about how many teams they'll be involved with but that can be managed. Tommy Walsh and JJ were the exceptions for Kilkenny so maybe some of these could be the Limerick exceptions. And also Limerick wouldn't have had the talent Kilkenny already in there team so the comparison should take that into consideration.

I think Limerick will win an all Ireland in the next three years.

I hope you are right, need luck and good management. The real worry is, there are about 7/8 teams that can realistically win an AI now. Luck/a ref decision, that's all that seperates the top teams now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Rightwing wrote: »
    I hope you are right, need luck and good management. The real worry is, there are about 7/8 teams that can realistically win an AI now. Luck/a ref decision, that's all that seperates the top teams now.

Dunno if there are even that many contenders. You'd have the big three (as always), Clare had an annus horribilis, they have the talent in spades - even with Davy still at the helm don't think they'll be as bad in 2015. Limerick have been there or thereabouts. Out of the rest I think it's too early for Wexford, too late for Dublin and too Galway for Galway.

Management need to be ruthless for Limerick to win the AI. Been a very stable team over the last few years. You won't win an AI with the same 15 players. I'll be very interested to see the make-up of the half-back line in particular as 2015 unfolds as well as what forwards will be given a chance in W'fud Crystal/League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

cnoc wrote: »

When you look at the talent, Cork are fourth in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Glorious day, tenner in for two games - great value.

Ferociously hungover, missed first half of croom v blackrock, just arrived in to see dylan dawson score a superb goal, top corner job, the whole place was raging about him not being on the minor. Scored all frees after that after missing 3 in first half, didnt get a whole lot of ball in general play.

Croom led all the way but blackrock hung in there, think croom will feel a bit hard done by the ref but they still get another chance. Mickey Cahill is the best player i saw all day creating space and chances for his team mates, stephern reidy at Corner F and tom Carmody at half back got 3 or 4 each for croom and were very good. On a bad day for the senior squad conor allis was pretty quiet, scored one great free when it mattered but that was it. Richie is still an enigma. Good game some nice scores taken, croom can edge the replay.

Bruff v garry was a poorer game, garry hung in there well in the first half with a goal and some long range frees to go in 2 up. Jimbob was totally out of it and probably shouldnt have played for his own sake. The expected happened in the 2nd half with bruff winning easy. Riodan at 4, bobby o' brien at 7 and the 11 and 14 were good for them, though sean finn the minor corner back was the best player on the pitch for me, won every ball that came to him and used it well. Browne was ok only came to the fore in the last 10 mins, 4 wides before finally getting one at the end.

Danny Frewen has just scored a goal for Ballylanders, they're 7 points up after St. Pats dominated the first 10-15 mins of the 2nd half, but failed to make it count- lots of wides + blocks + saves by the goalkeeper.

Hammer blow to Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Was at the match yesterday and while I think most neutrals would have loved to have seen Patricks win after 10 minutes I could only see one winner at Ballylanders more composed and clinical style of play proved to be more effective than Pat's swash buckling all out attack system. Indeed Pats hit the post twice in the first 15 minutes, one was a real goal chance for Hegarty.

Once Bally got ahead though and got a substantial lead through their first goal it was hard to see Pat's come back be on the cards as at times Landers had 13 players behind the ball with Eoin Walsh and Frewen causing havoc in a two man full forward line.
    Pat's started the second half like they did the first but only kicked a point or two in that dominance(closing the gap to three). A dominance which was ended with an absorbing counter by Landers with Frewen finding the net. After that Landers were cool and calm and saw out the last 20 minutes with ease bar Borris' late strike with virtually the last kick of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how Bally do in the Munster, Ephie Fitz has them well drilled and they have the home draw against the Waterford champions and IF they win that another home draw to Cratloe. It would be nice to see them in a semi final against Cratloe to be honest. But in the meantime they have to turn their attention to the hurling.

Ephie Fitzgerad involved with Clare footballers next year, but Paul Kinnerk is involved with ours!

That's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

From what I understand, it is a developmental role Kinnerk will be involved in with the underage teams.
    Still though, at least it's something positive heading into the new year.

francozola wrote: »
    From what I understand, it is a developmental role Kinnerk will be involved in with the underage teams.
    Still though, at least it's something positive heading into the new year.

A coaching co-ordinator is the official title, it seems. Basically overseeing all the underage coaching, not sure how much input into actual coaching he is actually going to have.

Still, it's a move in the right direction... John Cregan & Muiris Gavin actually give a fcuk about football, and it seems they're putting the structures in place to put things on the right track again. Now it's just a matter of getting the clubs & players on board.

Kinnerk will obviously know exactly what is involved structure-wise in developing underage teams, but he is known as a hurling skills coach. It'd be great to get him involved with our hurling teams someday. I'd say give it a couple of years and he may get involved... obviously he is extremely close to the group of players in Clare that he's worked with all the way up, and they all speak extremely highly of him. I think he's proven beyond all doubt that you don't have to be a great hurler to be a great coach, you just have to be smart and able to understand the game.

Jerome O'Connell's Football Team of the Year:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-sfc-team-of-the-year-1-6362201
    1. Ricky Slattery (Ballylanders)

The county champions goalkeeper conceded just three goals in their eight game run to the title. As well as standing form between the posts his kickouts were spot on. Especially in the county final he went short with kickouts to find a spare man in defence. James O’Mara (Fr Caseys) and Danny Fitzgerald (Ballysteen) had some memorable outings during the season.

2. Keelan Stephenson (St Patricks)

The St Patricks defender really came to prominence at wing back but did start earlier round games in the corner. Showed great pace to bring from defence and scored some memorable goals. Maurice Kelly (Ballylanders) and Wayne McCarthy (Pallasgreen) were fellow defenders worthy of mention.

3. Wayne Cronin (St Patricks)

The city man dominated at the edge of the square and looked classy in possession. Just pips Ballylanders’ Shane Fox, who did admirably against Eoin Hanrahan in the county final. Shane Gallagher (Ballysteen) is another that rarely put a foot wrong in a No3 shirt.

4. Stephen Fox (Ballylanders)

The Ballylanders man was mostly selected in attack but played the sweeper role brilliantly in defence under Ephie Fitzgerald’s gameplan. Always positioned himself in the right space and used possession intelligently. Mark Phelan (St Patrick), Colm Moran (Monaleen) and Shaun Browne (Newcastle West) all had some decent outings.

5. Brian O’Connell (Ballylanders)

Filled a number of roles for the county champions throughout the year and epitomised the gameplan that the manager asked of his players. In the county final surged forward for a point late in the first half. Fr Casey’s Jake Quirke, Brian Noonan of Dromcollogher-Broadfod and Sean McAuliffe (Newcastle West) also did well.

6. Paudie Browne (Fr Caseys)

The inter-county man was Mr Consistency at the heart of the Abbeyfeale defence holding off the challenges of county finallists Donal Kelly (Ballylanders) and Pa Mullins (St Patricks) as well as Ballysteen’s Pa Ranahan.

7. Johnny McCarthy (St Kierans)

The west Limerick men positioned their star man at wing back and he tormented oppositions. He popped up with a number of scores as well as performing defensive duties. Stephen Walsh (Ballylanders), Darren Jones (St Marys Sean Finns), Robert Browne (Fr Caseys) and Padraig Quinn (Monaleen) were key for their clubs.

8. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks)

The U-21 player was immense for the city side all season. With ball in hand he strikes fear into the opposition as he strides forward with purpose. The county final could have been so different if his third minute goalbound shot hadn’t crashed off the upright.

9. Iain Corbett (Newcastle West)

The county player gets the nod ahead of fine players but Corbett was instrumental in most that was good about Newcastle West this season. Worked from back to front and kicked some fine scores. Ballylanders pair Tom Lee and Johnny Murphy, David Ward (Fr Caseys), Paudie Vaughaun (Ballysteen) and James Ryan (Galbally) were all prominent for their clubs.

10. Kieran O’Callaghan (Ballylanders)

Especially in the group stages, O’Callaghan’s frees were the backbone of the Ballylanders surge. Not to mention his double of goals in the quarter-final. Spent much time at full forward but was wing forward in the final and remarkably didn’t score but did his bit for the gameplan as proved by catch and clearance in the full back line midway through the second half. Others like Eoghan O’Connor (St Marys Sean Finns) and Sean McSweeney (St Kierans) were also vital to their clubs.

11. Jimmy Barry Murphy (Ballylanders)

The winning captain was brilliant for Bally all season as he linked between defence and attack. Kicked some fine points also at crucial stages. Padraig McEnery (Fr Caseys) and Stephen Kelly (Newcastle West) were also prominent in leading their respective attacks.

12. Eoin Hanrahan (St Patricks)

Hanrahan burst onto the inter-county scene this season and continued to sparkle for St Patricks from midfield to corner forward. From frees, penalties and from play he led the charge for the Saints. Mikey Lyons (Adare), Thomas Quilligan (Newcastle West) and Kevin Barry (Pallasgreen) chipped in with crucial scores.

13. Killian Phair (Dromcollogher-Broadford)

Phair was the leading light in attack for the hat-trick chasing Drom-Broadford. Landed some fine scores for a side that topped their group and reached a semi-final. Ger Collins (Monaleen) and Eoin Walsh (Ballylanders) are others of note.

14. Danny Frewen (Ballylanders)

Every team needs an out-and-out finisher and that’s what Frewen brings to Bally. In the system this season he also had to work across the full forward line at times but came up trumps with some telling scores. St Patricks’ Jason Mullins and Danny Neville of Ballysteen were other options.

15. Jamie Lee (Newcastle West)

Lee returned a number of big tallies for Newcastle West - many from play - as he built on his first season as part of the inter-county senior scene. Eoin O’Donnell (St Marys Sean Finns) and Billy Quirke (Fr Caseys) were also dangermen for their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Anyone agree that the whole day out in Askeaton last Saturday was top class, thought it was a great occasion, great pitch, organised, two fine fit teams looking to play good attacking football in front of a very supportive crowd. Unfortunately there had to be a loser but Limerick football was a winner on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

big game lads who will come out on top between Na Parisigh and Killmallock
    i think this is a big year for Na Parisigh nothing but the club all ireland will do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement