Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Cant see anything other than a Na P win hopefully its competitive.

The intermediate semi could be a better game, be more intrested to see dawson and reidy again, also see how Nicky gets on outfield for effin.

Never checked last weeks program is cian involved or is he going playing soccer or whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

big game lads who will come out on top between Na Parisigh and Killmallock
    i think this is a big year for Na Parisigh nothing but the club all ireland will do.

Can't see Na Piarsaigh losing tbh. Kilmallock won't get hammered again, but the city boys just have too much quality all over the pitch.

Kieran Breen at full-back, David Breen at centre-back, Kevin Downes at centre-forward, Shane Dowling at full-forward... Alan Dempsey & Pat Gleeson in midfield. And then you've got the likes of Michael Casey, Ronan Lynch, Cathal King, Dave Dempsey, Adrian Breen. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Cant see anything other than a Na P win hopefully its competitive.

The intermediate semi could be a better game, be more intrested to see dawson and reidy again, also see how Nicky gets on outfield for effin.

Never checked last weeks program is cian involved or is he going playing soccer or whats the story?

As far as I know, the whole soccer thing isn't true. I mean... 18-year-olds don't get trials in England really, it's pretty late to be going over. He might get a game with a League of Ireland team but I've heard that he likes hurling too much anyway.

He did play in a soccer match for Mary I against Tralee IT last week, apparently looked very rusty, as if he hadn't played for a while.

I would be surprised not to see him in a Limerick panel next year. I could be wrong, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wet windy day like today would make it a lottery.

The rain could lower the standard alright, but I reckon Na Piarsaigh are fairly well suited to the wet conditions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Kilmallock good value for their half time lead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Good win for them, I wasn't so sure of Na Piarsaigh. Sparrow did well.

Kilmallock are more than good enough to do a number on the cork team.

Was told by a couple of people that killmallock were waiting in the long grass but couldnt see it happening myself.

They won because they were hungrier and more importantly the quality of ball into the forwards. Na P hardly played in a good ball all day, whereas kilmallock had a great supply particularly from KOD who had a field day. JOB at half forward did not work to say the least big mistake from Na P.

Kil also had mulcahy on top form and he roamed round and Na P simply couldnt pick him up.

barry hennessey again proved he's an outstanding keeper, 3 excellent saves, if Nicky is near the 1 jersey next year it would be a mistake.

Think kil targeted this game all year and Na P were prob a bit over confident, the game was gone from them before they realised it, kil had plenty enough experience to see it through and were well worth the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fair play to Kilmallock. Better team by a mile today. Na P only played with the required intensity for maybe the last 10. Having coasted all year they weren't up to the required level at all whereas Kilmallock had good games against Adare and Doon on the run in to the final. Beat all the best teams in limerick to win it. Kevin O'Donnell was very impressive at wing back. O'Mahony is pure class. Mulcahy was spikey and impressive throughout although King did well enough marking him. Alan Dempsey was the best midfielder on display today in the first half at least, until injury caught up with him and he faded out. Paudie was pretty anonymous. David Dempsey and Jake Mulcahy were both good. One blunder aside with a missed hand pass, Ronan Lynch was class, he may not join up for another year but he will be more than ready for the Limerick senior panel in 2015. Downes mixed the brilliant with the dreadful. Mark O'Loughlin was good at full back I thought and is probably the best of the three brothers there. It might be no bad thing from a limerick perspective that some of the Na P lads don't have another long season this year. Only one player over 30 in the team. There are a few more Munster titles let alone county titles to come for that team.

Fair play to Kilmallock, and to the Sparrow. He is a very impressive manager... got all the calls right today. They started well and even with 14 men, they were able to hold Na Piarsaigh, and kept tabs on NaP's dangermen.

Obviously Na Piarsaigh didn't play anywhere near their best either, probably weren't tested en route to the final enough.

I hope Kilmallock go on to represent Limerick well in Munster... I'd have actually given Na Piarsaigh a better chance in the following rounds, even though Kilmallock were clearly the better team today. We'll see though.

Kevin O'Donnell, Robbie Egan for Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I watched the game on TG4. IMO it was one of those days for NaP, Kilmallock handled the occasion and conditions better. Sparrow done his homework, Kilkenny like crowd out tactics worked a treat.
    Some very flat displays for NaP especially the county lads never got going. Ronan Lynch was very impressive.
    Kilmallock had a number of stand out performances. Barry Hennessy certainly put his name forward for Limerick's number 1 next year with an accomplished display in goals. I was impressed with young Costelloe in the corner and Kevin O'Donnell whose 3 points came at crucial stages. In attack, Gavin and Graeme done untold damage to NaP.

So could TJ put Hennessy in goals, Nickie to half back and Gavin to the forwards next year?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be against Barry Hennessey starting in goal next year at all, he's a fine keeper, no doubt about that. But he was 3rd choice this year... Aaron Murphy is a very good goalkeeper too, with huge length on his puck-outs as well as being an excellent shot stopper.

The best thing about Nicky, bar his surname, is how safe he is under the high ball... absolutely rock solid, as well as having top class accuracy in his puckouts. But talking to a few lads in college, who were absolutely raving about his performances outfield for Effin this season. Apparently some of the best form of his life.

He could be a huge asset to our half-back line... I'd play him midfield if we didn't already have some great midfielders. I'd like to see him tried at centre-back.

As for Gavin up front... it's a possibility, I guess. I'm not sure how it would work at intercounty level, it is a different ball game. But it's worth a try, I suppose. We're not exactly overflowing with forwards. But Adare were playing Hannon at full-forward, never liked him there for Limerick. Still not 100% convinced by Wayne at centre-back despite his All-Star nomination, although he had a solid enough year. Downes never got going in the Championship this year really, a good game against Tipp and that was it really.

Don't know if I said it my last post, but Mulcahy drifting out around the middle, would definitely be in favour of that. We might miss his firepower, but if we're ever playing a 3rd midfielder, I'd pick Mul as the man.

2015 panel?

Just throwing out some random names, probably forgot a few. The great thing about most of these players is that they are genuine options in multiple options... Richie English could be backup full-back or a wing-back option. Dempsey could be played at corner-back, wing-back or midfield; same with Cathal King. Seamus Hickey could be corner-back, centre-back, wing-back, midfield.

I've put Tom Ryan at wing-back, I prefer to see him there than in the half-forward line, same with Hickey. I put Paudie at midfield, I wouldn't like to see him as a wing-back next year. Gavin at half-forward, but he could easily be our 7 again. Breen is an option in either backs or forwards, I'd say he'll stay up front until we find more options there.

Then you've got youngsters like Cian Lynch and Tom Morrissey, who could be played anywhere in the forward line. Downes is versatile too.

I haven't put in Ronan Lynch, Barry Nash, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave as they're doing the Leaving Cert. Of the minor teams over the past 2 years, I put in Richie English, Michael Casey, Darragh O'Donovan, Cian Lynch, Dean Coleman, Tom Morrissey and Colin Ryan; all were genuine standout players. I know Dylan Dawson didn't make the minor team but if any player that was any bit older was scoring that much from play at that level, they'd definitely be looked at.

Is Adrian Breen up to it? Didn't look great at league before, but has been a consistent club player. I'm not sure if Tommy Quaid, Tommy O'Brien, Mikey Ryan, Paudie Aherne, John Fitzgibbon, Seanie O'Brien are the answers either having been given chances before, but maybe one of them can push on? But if you include them, how about the likes of Willie Griffin, Jake Mulcahy and James O'Brien???

Have to get the right mix of experimentation and competitiveness in the early year, because we have to get promoted from the league this year. At least we're not searching for a manager again, as we are at this time last year. TJ is in place, he's making plans and must have ideas for next year already. Hopefully he's getting in contact with people. I wouldn't mind if he did add someone else to the backroom team though, just to get a fresh view.

Goalkeepers
    Barry Hennessey, Aaron Murphy, Nicky Quaid

Full-Back Line
    Mark Carmody, Michael Casey, Tom Condon, Alan Dempsey, Richie English, Richie McCarthy, Stephen Walsh

Half-Back Line
    Diarmuid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, Barry Lynch, Cathal McNamara, Wayne McNamara, Dan Morrissey, Barry O'Connell, Kevin O'Donnell, Nicky Quaid, Tom Ryan

Midfield
    Paul Browne, Cathal King, Paudie O'Brien, Darragh O'Donovan, James Ryan

Half-Forward Line
    Conor Allis, David Breen, David Dempsey, Kevin Downes, Robbie Egan, Mike Fitzgerald, Declan Hannon, Donal O'Grady, Gavin O'Mahony, David Reidy

Full-Forward Line
    Adrian Breen, Dean Coleman, Shane Dowling, Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Graeme Mulcahy, Kevin O'Brien, Colin Ryan, Seanie Tobin

Off the top of my head there's also last seasons back up full back O'Loughlin from Kilmallock. Also think his brother Mark should be added. Willie Griffin a corner forward option. A few you've mentioned above could yet develop into good intercounty players, if there was a player development focus on the intermediates it could help these guys make the step up like Donal O'Grady did. Thing is though, a lot of those players are likely to be overtaken by the crop of minors coming through anyway.

We could spend the next couple of months going over possible line ups but i think we'll know how we fair next year when we see who has the No 1 Jersey for the first league game and the make up of our half back line for the same game. It will tell a huge amount about management, if we sit still we'll win nothing if we evolve a bit then maybe.

We could spend the next couple of months going over possible line ups but i think we'll know how we fair next year when we see who has the No 1 Jersey for the first league game and the make up of our half back line for the same game. It will tell a huge amount about management, if we sit still we'll win nothing if we evolve a bit then maybe.

We'll prob see something like last year where we put out our "best team" of established players to play it safe for that first round game before many new guys are hopefully given a chance later in the league.

Waterford Crystal Cup too.. think we should target that as well.

Quaid played one challenge game outfield in early 2014, but was in goal for the WCC game afaik. If he's played outfield then, then he'll be considered.

How some of the minor lads step up (if they are included) will play a big part. If Lynch, Morrissey, Dempsey, Ryan, English, Casey, O'Donovan; or even 2 of them, were to hit the ground running like, say, Austin Gleeson did, then they will be pushing for a starting place straight away.

Hopefully the likes of Alan Dempsey, Cathal King, Tom Ryan are given a real chance to fight for a starting position. One criticism I would have of last year was that players were too safe in their positions.

Condon, Paudie, Gavin, Downes, Hannon early on... none of them were at their absolute best yet weren't dropped. A strong squad is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Waterford Crystal Cup too.. think we should target that as well.

Quaid played one challenge game outfield in early 2014, but was in goal for the WCC game afaik. If he's played outfield then, then he'll be considered.

How some of the minor lads step up (if they are included) will play a big part. If Lynch, Morrissey, Dempsey, Ryan, English, Casey, O'Donovan; or even 2 of them, were to hit the ground running like, say, Austin Gleeson did, then they will be pushing for a starting place straight away.

Hopefully the likes of Alan Dempsey, Cathal King, Tom Ryan are given a real chance to fight for a starting position. One criticism I would have of last year was that players were too safe in their positions.

Condon, Paudie, Gavin, Downes, Hannon early on... none of them were at their absolute best yet weren't dropped. A strong squad is essential.
    Only one I would make an exception for there fireball was Hannon. He struggled for fitness early on. In my view no excuses for the other 4 lads you mentioned.

mickaleen wrote: »
    Only one I would make an exception for there fireball was Hannon. He struggled for fitness early on. In my view no excuses for the other 4 lads you mentioned.

That might be fair enough, but should he have been included when not at full fitness? I know we didn't have many other options, but that's my point really... we shouldn't have to be playing half-fit players.

Hannon had a great league in 2013 but struggled for form/looked unfit for the Championship in 2013 and for the League in 2014 + all of the Munster Championship.

When moved to centre-forward, he was absolutely class.... he was unreal against Kilkenny in the driving rain. I think he should never be moved from 11 again, even if it is Downes' best position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

That might be fair enough, but should he have been included when not at full fitness? I know we didn't have many other options, but that's my point really... we shouldn't have to be playing half-fit players.

Hannon had a great league in 2013 but struggled for form/looked unfit for the Championship in 2013 and for the League in 2014 + all of the Munster Championship.

When moved to centre-forward, he was absolutely class.... he was unreal against Kilkenny in the driving rain. I think he should never be moved from 11 again, even if it is Downes' best position.

I think Downes has to shape up this year Fireball. Said he was inconsistent last year and had probably his worst ever year last year, even against Wexford he couldn't hit a barn door.

He needs to seriously be made fight for his position. I think where Limerick are lucky though is ye have some top forwards coming through. I look at Waterford and think it's always been a case that when we needed competition/a better player in a position it was always a bit too late in them coming. Even in general now you could say there are much better underage players coming through but little left in terms of quality Senior players to guide them.

Limerick seem to be the exact opposite to me at the moment, and I think have a great opportunity of contesting for an all-ireland in the next few years.

I think Downes has to shape up this year Fireball. Said he was inconsistent last year and had probably his worst ever year last year, even against Wexford he couldn't hit a barn door.

He needs to seriously be made fight for his position. I think where Limerick are lucky though is ye have some top forwards coming through. I look at Waterford and think it's always been a case that when we needed competition/a better player in a position it was always a bit too late in them coming. Even in general now you could say there are much better underage players coming through but little left in terms of quality Senior players to guide them.

Limerick seem to be the exact opposite to me at the moment, and I think have a great opportunity of contesting for an all-ireland in the next few years.

Well yeah, he does. Had a decent game against Tipp but his shooting was poor against both Cork & Wexford, and was quiet against KK too.

He has so much talent, but he can be guilty of trying the impossible when he just needs to keep things simple. If Morrissey, Lynch, Ryan, O'Brien... even O'Mahony & Allis can contest for forward positions, it will hopefully up the performances of everyone.

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head there's also last seasons back up full back O'Loughlin from Kilmallock. Also think his brother Mark should be added. Willie Griffin a corner forward option. A few you've mentioned above could yet develop into good intercounty players, if there was a player development focus on the intermediates it could help these guys make the step up like Donal O'Grady did. Thing is though, a lot of those players are likely to be overtaken by the crop of minors coming through anyway.

I can't tell the O'Loughlin's apart tbh... Mark is the one that was full-back on the U-21 team last year? And was centre-back at the weekend?

No Philip was CB at the weekend, wears blue helmet. Think mark was full back, though the commentators said it was paddy at one point. All good athletes, could do with a small bit more hurling but have time to improve for sure.

I can't tell the O'Loughlin's apart tbh... Mark is the one that was full-back on the U-21 team last year? And was centre-back at the weekend?

Mark was recently the u21 full back, and was Kilmallock full back the weekend. Phillip played full back for limerick a few times this year and was 6 for Kilmallock the weekend. Paddy was full back for the limerick minors this year and wasn't on the Kilmallock senior team. I think Mark is the best from what I've seen and should be on the limerick panel along with Phillip. Don't think either will even threaten to displace Richie and I'd prob prefer Condon as the back up full back, but they're prob worth their places on the panel at least. I really think Dempsey has to get more of a run for limerick at corner back. I expect him to demonstrate this in the fitzgibbon for LIT this year, albeit he'll be at midfield.

The talent is there anyway lads which it hasnt been for a long time, just a matter of selection and tactics from here, a little luck would go down well too.

Would like to see kilmallock beat sars for their own confidence having lost the 1st round of munster last two times but that should be it for them and better off too let Mulcahy rest up.

U-21 & minor fixtures for next year:

U-21 Football
    Home to Cork.
    If we win that (seems unlikely), we'll be away to Kerry. Lost to both those teams when these players were at minor level.

U-21 Hurling
    Home to Tipperary.

Tipp's minors in 2012 won Munster (and the All-Ireland, I think?). Probably the toughest draw we could have got.

Minor Football
    Home to Cork.

If we win, we play the winners of Kerry/Clare, if we lose, we play the losers of Tipp/Waterford. Don't have much hope for us at minor level tbh.

Minor Hurling
    Away to Cork.

If we win, we play the winners of the play-off... losers of Tipp/Waterford vs Cork. Obviously if we lose to Cork, we'll be in that play-off, playing the losers of Tipp/Waterford and then Cork.

We won't have as strong a minor team this year, they're still a decent group... but I don't think they're All-Ireland contenders. Could be good enough to win Munster with a bit of luck, but apparently Cork will be strong next year. Don't know anything about the others... can be hard to know with minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Tipp and yourselves favourites for Minor Hurling in Munster next year.

I think we have 9 players from last year's minor panel still underage this year, but we've lost most of the heavy hitters.

As for our U-21 hurling panel... 13 of the 18 players who featured against Clare are underage again for 2015, which is a very significant amount.

Darragh Stapleton, Shane Irwin, Richie English, Diarmuid Byrnes, William O'Donoghue, Cian Lynch, Dave Dempsey, Liam O'Sullivan, Kevin O'Brien, Pat Ryan, Darragh O'Donovan, Bryan Griffin and Dean Coleman.

That's not to mention Barry O'Connell who definitely would have been starting had he been fit. Ronan Lynch probably would have been too.

And because it's not the 1st round fixture, we should have players doing their Leaving Cert so you could add Ronan Lynch, Barry Nash, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave to that straight away.

Provided we don't lose any major players to injury, we should be stronger. Although, getting drawn against the favourites again is a bit of a disaster.

As for the footballers, we haven't had a halfway-decent underage team in years, but structures are being put in place now... between Cregan, Gavin & Kinnerk, hopefully they can get our underage setup into shape. After that, it's up to the players.

There are plenty of talented footballers around Limerick- plenty of people around the city who might favour soccer, but would have loads of talent. And out west, it's primarily football. I'm one of the people who doesn't think there's a huge difference between the talent of some of the players in the top teams and smaller teams..... but the coaching, tactics and maybe some of the strength & conditioning that has been in place in the big counties since those players were very young is what makes the difference.

I find it unlikely that we will be particularly competitive at either minor or U-21 next season, but at senior level, hopefully we can push on from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Well done to Seamus Hickey and Shane Dowling on their All Star awards. Richly deserved. Need to kick on next year now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Delighted for both, but Dowling in particular. He's definitely a big game player.
    First all-star for Murroe-Boher I think.??
    And when we look back on it we can see how close Ritchie and Browney were.
    Hickey was always a cert and 2 awards were a real bonus for beaten semi-finalists but to me Ritchie had a better campaign than JJ Delaney.!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement