Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

washman3 wrote: »
    Delighted for both, but Dowling in particular. He's definitely a big game player.
    First all-star for Murroe-Boher I think.??
    And when we look back on it we can see how close Ritchie and Browney were.
    Hickey was always a cert and 2 awards were a real bonus for beaten semi-finalists but to me Ritchie had a better campaign than JJ Delaney.!!

It's probably true, but JJ still had a good year, I suppose and if Limerick had beaten KK, Richie & Jim Bob/Browne would have got one, possibly Hannon too.

A team getting further helps edge marginal calls.

Well done to the two lads though, well-deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Was anyone at JAHC final tonight in the GG.
    Controversy as NaP thought they had won by a point.
    County Board intervened and ref deemed he had a wrong score and the game was called a draw.

Interesting few nights ahead if NaP go off and appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

francozola wrote: »
    Was anyone at JAHC final tonight in the GG.
    Controversy as NaP thought they had won by a point.
    County Board intervened and ref deemed he had a wrong score and the game was called a draw.

Interesting few nights ahead if NaP go off and appeal it.
    Yeah I was at it. Scoreboard was wrong and after consultation with ref it was announced the game was a draw. Replay at some stage however Feonagh will represent limerick v the tipp junior champs next week anyway as it must be a junior club to progress to the Munster champ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Do ye know who won between Croom and Bruff lads?

Bruff won. 2-14 to 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dhanna506

hi folks new to limerick city,sorry to interupt the all-stars talk!

living in Oakleigh Wood,Dooradoyle and just 2 weeks over my ACL reconstruction surgery in my knee.

Just enquiring where & what to do regarding physio. i do know Aine O'Meara is in raheen (though 50euro is steep, im a student on work placement down here).anyone else people can recommend?

also hitting a blank regarding ice baths/cyrobaths in limerick city,tried searching online to no avail.until today, a guy mentioned Willie Bennet and possible cyrotherapy pool? anyone confirm this?

Many Thanks

So yeah, Patrickswell were convincing winners in the County Cup against Effin. Probably unlucky to be in the group they were in, they'd have qualified for the quarter-finals if they'd been in the other group and would have put on a better show than South Liberties.

Interesting that Effin beat Murroe/Boher in the semi though, does anyone know were Murroe/Boher at full-strength. I mean I'd consider them a pretty strong team, even now... not county winners strong, but a comfortable senior team. But considering Effin only just avoided relegation and would have a small pick of players, that was a good one.

How do we think Bruff and Croom will get on next year? I wouldn't say there's much of a difference between them and the likes of Effin, Ballybrown, South Liberties, maybe Murroe/Boher. Probably not going to challenge the big teams though. Should be a very competitive Premier Intermediate again next year though.

Blackrock will be desperate to make amends for this year, as will the Bouncers, who probably think they are stronger than a good few of those senior teams. Monaleen are already promoted... they beat a Glenroe side who I thought were certain to go up, won 5 from 5 in the group. Apparently Andrew La Touche Cosgrave was immense in both quarter and semi-final. I'd say they'll be a force to be reckoned with at Premier Intermediate, lots of talented youngsters there. And Pallasgreen/Mungret is gone to a replay... Pallasgreen almost got relegated to junior last year, now they've got a good chance to go up... Mungret really should be doing better than they have been in recent years.

Thing is, we beat Monaleen and only just avoided relegation and they'll probably be as good as Bruree or Dromin/Athlacca next season. So there isn't much between some of these teams.

Tom Morrissey scored 3-3 for UL freshers as they hammered Mary I, he was at full-forward. He scored 2-3 the week before against CIT. Serious threat up front, particularly at that level.

Mark Carmody, Tom Ryan, Liam O'Sullivan and Kevin O'Brien among those who started for the UL seniors as they beat GMIT by 17 points. They had been hammered by LIT the week before, although they were missing some players.

Dan Morrissey will be starting when it gets to Fitzgibbon time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

dhanna506 wrote: »
    hi folks new to limerick city,sorry to interupt the all-stars talk!

living in Oakleigh Wood,Dooradoyle and just 2 weeks over my ACL reconstruction surgery in my knee.

Just enquiring where & what to do regarding physio. i do know Aine O'Meara is in raheen (though 50euro is steep, im a student on work placement down here).anyone else people can recommend?

also hitting a blank regarding ice baths/cyrobaths in limerick city,tried searching online to no avail.until today, a guy mentioned Willie Bennet and possible cyrotherapy pool? anyone confirm this?

Many Thanks

There's a physio next to the Unicorn that offers 40 euro for students. Think it's the physiocompany... Not sure about the rest of your post.

I see the Clare chairman is angling for Cusack Park to be renovated in time for the 2015 league campaign, with a view to hosting Munster Championship matches. Could Limerick and Clare come to a home/away agreement for this match if it turns out to be true or is it set in stone that it will be Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

francozola wrote: »
    I see the Clare chairman is angling for Cusack Park to be renovated in time for the 2015 league campaign, with a view to hosting Munster Championship matches. Could Limerick and Clare come to a home/away agreement for this match if it turns out to be true or is it set in stone that it will be Thurles.

They'd need to do some serious renovations! You'd nearly get tetanus off the turnstiles.

Limerick would bring 10000 supporters to Ennis and a clare home crowd would easily hit 10k aswell. Hard to see it happening considering the health and safety concerns reducing the capacity in Cork which is a far more sizable stadium. We did play them there in 1993 though and lost!

Based on previous evidence of attendances the only team Clare could accomodate at home would be Waterford. Not a hope they'd handle a Cork, Tipp or Limerick crowd.

• Advertisement

Clare GAA chiefs have confirmed they will lobby the provincial council to bring Munster senior championship hurling to Cusack Park upon completion of a €2.3m redevelopment of the Ennis venue.

Cusack Park is to undergo a significant facelift, which will see the capacity increase from 12,500 to 20,000, it was revealed last week.

As part of the regeneration project, the existing roof and seating in the main stand are to be modernised, while dressing rooms, toilets and media facilities will all be redeveloped.

A 200-space car park is to be built behind the town end while additional turnstiles will also be installed.

The Clare executive have met with officials from Croke Park and Munster Council to secure funding for the project and chairman Michael McDonagh pictured is optimistic the new-look Cusack Park will be open for business in time for the 2015 national leagues.

“What we hope to do is take the roof of the main stand and put back on a new roof with facilities for press, television and VIPs. We will also be taking up the existing seating and installing 1,200 seats. Underneath the stand we hope to redevelop the dressing rooms, function room and all other ancillary services like toilets. The main stand will have a modern feel,” explained McDonagh.

“Because at present we only have turnstiles in two areas our capacity is capped at 12,500. The installation of additional turnstile areas will provide increased access in and out of the grounds and meet health and safety demands, thus increasing the ground’s capacity. We are very cognisant of the fact that we need as much funding from Munster and Central Council as possible so this project can be delivered debt free on our end. We are expecting a decision from the two bodies by the end of November. Once we know what they are giving us we will know how much we have to come up with.”

On bringing Munster senior championship hurling to Cusack Park, McDonagh added: “Of course we will look for senior provincial championship games. We believe it is a two-way street. We would deliver the crowds at important matches fixed for Cusack Park which would then provide revenue for Central Council and Munster Council. They will get their money back by awarding us big matches which would enable us to draw large crowds.”

That's the article. Obviously, there would be extensive renovations but hard to see how it would be completed by the league in time to get clearance for Championship matches next summer. Found it interesting though that they are angling for Championship matches.
    Of course, Spike and the Limerick board could offer to to host next summers match and then go to Clare but I don't think Davy will be one to go for that. If they want the H&A agreement, we should look to take first match at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No chance they'll hold the crowd.

Wins for the 3 Limerick schools who played Harty today.

Doon CBS 3-17 DLS Waterford 3-11
    Castletroy College 2-13 Gaelcholaiste Mhuire AG 0-18
    West Limerick Colleges 3-17 St Flannan's 0-9

That's good news tbh

Gaelcholaiste Mhuire had won 2 from 2, so that's a great win for Castletroy... obviously very close. Doon needed a win to give them a chance of progressing, while West Limerick Colleges would have been expected to win, Flannan's seem to be very poor this year.

Kilmallock and Bruff having two right battles with Sars and Lixnaw respectively. Hopefully they can come out on the right side of it

Kilmallock 2 up with 2 to play. Sars got a third goal to bring it back to 2, kilmallock went three up and now a 2 point game. Seems an exciting match from the looks of it

Bruff win by 3 down in Tralee. A great result. They play Capoquinn of Waterford in the final.

Kilmallock caught at the death by a Cian McCarthy free. 3 -15 each. 6 points up with a few to play they really should have held on. Extra time now

What a thriller well done the Balbec

What a thriller well done the Balbec

They seem to be a very hardworking honest team in fairness to them that never lie down. Thought Sars would kick on in extra time as they had the momentum. Kilmallock plugged on. Cratloe will be tough but the football could be their undoing.

Good win for Glin in the junior football too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Partly guessed kilmallock would win this one, but they'll have to up it significantly to beat cratloe, bit of a surprise they beat thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Great win for kilmallock should have closed it out when 6 up in normal time but got there in the end. Without walsh it was a good win his abrasiveness was missed and they had serious trouble handling cussen. Keneally played injured and meade was out too but he may not get back in now. They were poor in the first half and should have been ahead with that breeze but never found their stride and kearney and cussen dominated. 2nd half put GOM at midfield and the two mulcajys at half forward and it totally turned the game and they were better side from then on.

Think they will give cratloe a better game than most people think, the big problem is they dont have a player to mark conor mcgrath. No idea who management will put on him, think GOM has the most ability but they wont bring him back. All others either lack the pace or experience to do it, be interesting.

• Advertisement

Great win for kilmallock should have closed it out when 6 up in normal time but got there in the end. Without walsh it was a good win his abrasiveness was missed and they had serious trouble handling cussen. Keneally played injured and meade was out too but he may not get back in now. They were poor in the first half and should have been ahead with that breeze but never found their stride and kearney and cussen dominated. 2nd half put GOM at midfield and the two mulcajys at half forward and it totally turned the game and they were better side from then on.

Think they will give cratloe a better game than most people think, the big problem is they dont have a player to mark conor mcgrath. No idea who management will put on him, think GOM has the most ability but they wont bring him back. All others either lack the pace or experience to do it, be interesting.

I agree. but the odds are suggesting a very tight game i.e. kilmallock given a 1 point handicap.

I thought kilmallock would have around 10 points to spare over a very limited cork team.

Rightwing wrote: »
    cratloe, bit of a surprise they beat thurles.

Thurles had a man sent off before the throw-in

Thurles had a man sent off before the throw-in

Probably ruined the match - was it justified ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Commentator said the final is on 2 weeks today and Kilmallock are happy to toss for venue. would that mean a toss between Gaelic Grounds and Ennis.?
    Otherwise I would imagine it would be played in Thurles.
    Today was an excellent win for Kilmallock and an even better one for Cratloe.
    Impossible to call the Munster final now. Kilmallocks subs were outstanding. Great MOTM display from Kennelly, hard to believe he was carrying an injury into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Great game today, could have gone either way, two good teams, Kilmallock will be hard beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

washman3 wrote: »
    Commentator said the final is on 2 weeks today and Kilmallock are happy to toss for venue. would that mean a toss between Gaelic Grounds and Ennis.?
    Otherwise I would imagine it would be played in Thurles.
    Today was an excellent win for Kilmallock and an even better one for Cratloe.
    Impossible to call the Munster final now. Kilmallocks subs were outstanding. Great MOTM display from Kennelly, hard to believe he was carrying an injury into the game.

In either way, you can say Cratloe have home advantage :)

Rightwing wrote: »
    Probably ruined the match - was it justified ?

He didn't seem too surprised anyway :pac:

inpho_00865199.jpg

Great weekend for Limerick clubs, congratulations to Kilmallock, Bruff and to Glin.

I thought Kilmallock would beat Sarsfields, they have some top players and a good group of very solid club players too. Be up against it against Cratloe though, but the Sparrow is a smart guy, he'll probably have something up his sleeve to try and contain McGrath and Collins et al.

There is no doubt in my mind that Na Piarsaigh have the most talented group of players in Limerick, and they, along with Cratloe, are probably the most talented squads in Munster. But Kilmallock beat Na Piarsaigh- a great start, a good gameplan and the experience/ability to close the game out. Cratloe's pace and movement will cause them huge difficulties though. I don't see them beating Cratloe, but I'd say it'll be a close game... not sure they have as much talent as the Clare champions.

I see no reason to fear Cratloe, in fact Kilmallock should reach the final if they perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

letowski wrote: »
    In either way, you can say Cratloe have home advantage :)

Quite true. G/Grounds is only a stone-throw for them.
    Interesting that Kilmallock opted for their own pitch yesterday rather than the G/Gs even though many feel they play better 'away from home'
    For the neutral/fans of other clubs in both counties either Ennis or G/Gs would be ideal. Hopefully Limerick, as it would be just a hop for me...:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement