Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Rightwing wrote: »
    O Grady was an also ran. Yesterday's man, no one else only limerick would have gone for the 1 trick pony.

My worry about TJ is that he isn't tactically aware.

That's what he needs to work on. Keeping the players happy will only get you so far, if the players eventually start to feel the men on the sideline are costing them games by not making relevant tactical changes/substitutions then they will lose confidence in the manager.

TJ seemed slow to react and to make changes that appeared glaringly obvious, I know our bench isn't the strongest but if a person is quite clearly having an off day he needs to be taken off as soon as possible. Not fair to the players sat on the bench to be watching a player remain on the pitch despite having an off day, the guys on the bench train as hard and as much as the guys on the pitch.

He messed up in the Munster final, took way too long to make certain changes and by the time he did it was too late. But to his credit he did put his hand up and acknowledge that himself afterwards. At least he can identify when he gets it wrong; remains to be seen how much he learns from it going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That's what he needs to work on. Keeping the players happy will only get you so far, if the players eventually start to feel the men on the sideline are costing them games by not making relevant tactical changes/substitutions then they will lose confidence in the manager.

TJ seemed slow to react and to make changes that appeared glaringly obvious, I know our bench isn't the strongest but if a person is quite clearly having an off day he needs to be taken off as soon as possible. Not fair to the players sat on the bench to be watching a player remain on the pitch despite having an off day, the guys on the bench train as hard and as much as the guys on the pitch.

He messed up in the Munster final, took way too long to make certain changes and by the time he did it was too late. But to his credit he did put his hand up and acknowledge that himself afterwards. At least he can identify when he gets it wrong; remains to be seen how much he learns from it going forward.

Indeed, he has to learn quickly from his mistakes, and then not repeat them.The selectors, are they up to job, that's the other question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Padraigh Walsh, Joey Holden, John Joe Farrell, John Power, Geoff Brennan, Mark Kelly, were all introduced to the Kilkenny panel during the league. Walsh, Power and Holden all appeared on the field during the All Ireland final. The others apart from Brennan were part of the match day squad of 25. Brennan was on the extended panel. Kilkenny do experiment in the league more so this year than most but it is in the league that Cody tries out new players against the best opposition possible. There were other tried during the league who did not make the cut. Tipperary did the same this year unearthing some really good talent. Many are tried few make it but those that do give you what is referred to as strength in depth. It is not a magic formula. You do not develop strength in depth in the championship or in challenge matches you do so in the league and in Division 1A where you are playing the best.

Yep. I don't think it's any real coincidence that we've basically used the same 18/19 players in championship hurling for the last 4 years now.

We've introduced a few different players each year in the league, but come championship time we revert back to those tried and trusted 18/19 players. It's not possible to know how a fringe player will cope come championship time against the likes of Tipperary and Kilkenny when they never play competitive league hurling against that standard of team.

And a fringe player would probably learn more in the long run by taking an absolute roasting from Paraic Maher in 1A than he would learn by picking off 4 or 5 points against Antrim or Offaly.

We don't have the same strength in depth as Tipp or KK. Galway probably do, and they are in the league and only going backwards. Clare proved that you can spring up from div 1b and win an AI.

• Advertisement

Clare were in 1B in 2012, beat us in the final, and later went out to us in the championship.

In 2013 they won the All-Ireland after coming through a 1A group which was ferociously competitive where all 6 teams entered the final round of matches basically faced with the scenario of win and you make the quarter finals, lose and you're probably in a relegation final. They defeated Cork in that final after extra time.

The Clare we met 12 months after we knocked them out was light years better than the Clare team we sent packing in 2012. Playing 1A hurling was certainly one of the factors that aided them to improve by as much as they did.

And as for lack of depth; that's the point, 1B does not allow us to strengthen in the same way that 1A does.

Clare were in 1B in 2012, beat us in the final, and later went out to us in the championship.

In 2013 they won the All-Ireland after coming through a 1A group which was ferociously competitive where all 6 teams entered the final round of matches basically faced with the scenario of win and you make the quarter finals, lose and you're probably in a relegation final. They defeated Cork in that final after extra time.

The Clare we met 12 months after we knocked them out was light years better than the Clare team we sent packing in 2012. Playing 1A hurling was certainly one of the factors that aided them to improve by as much as they did.

And as for lack of depth; that's the point, 1B does not allow us to strengthen in the same way that 1A does.

Let's not forget we had KK by the balls, and 1 bad play let them win this years AI. Wexford knocked Clare out, where did all those players develop? Div 1a is more about prestige than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

We don't have the same strength in depth as Tipp or KK. Galway probably do, and they are in the league and only going backwards. Clare proved that you can spring up from div 1b and win an AI.
    Clare were never in 1b when they won all ireland in 2013 as they were a division one team.
    Records show clearly they were division one a team in relgation final yes they won but does not constitute a div one b though.!!
    They were among the six teams in division one in 2013
    No team since wexford in 96 I would guess won all ireland from lower division in same year which in truth tells a clear story.

Clare were never in 1b when they won all ireland in 2013 as they were a division one team.
    Records show clearly they were division one a team in relgation final yes they won but does not constitute a div one b though.!!
    They were among the six teams in division one in 2013
    No team since wexford in 96 I would guess won all ireland from lower division in same year which in truth tells a clear story.

It's stonger no doubt about that, KK have been well ahead of everyone else. Tipp may do better not meeting them in leagues. Limk/Cork/Clare all haven't done badly in recent years from 1b

Yep, we had the 1A team by the balls yet the 1A team still emerged victorious, maybe if we had a bit more experience playing that standard of team....

You can't really use Clare as an example because all was not well in that camp, Wexford were destroyed once they came up against a team that was doing well and they were fairly timid against a very flat Dublin team in Leinster. It's 1996 since a Division 2/1B team won the All-Ireland.

Prestige? Sorry, but I can't take that claim seriously in any way. It's pretty simple; there is a higher standard of team in the top tier.

Accepting being a 1B team is accepting second best. And if you're willing to accept second best, then that's exactly what you're going to end up with.

• Advertisement

Yep, we had the 1A team by the balls yet the 1A team still emerged victorious, maybe if we had a bit more experience playing that standard of team....

You can't really use Clare as an example because all was not well in that camp, Wexford were destroyed once they came up against a team that was doing well and they were fairly timid against a very flat Dublin team in Leinster. It's 1996 since a Division 2/1B team won the All-Ireland.

Prestige? Sorry, but I can't take that claim seriously in any way. It's pretty simple; there is a higher standard of team in the top tier.

Accepting being a 1B team is accepting second best. And if you're willing to accept second best, then that's exactly what you're going to end up with.

But the AI has been dominated by 1 team since 1999, then maybe Tipp/Cork pull off the odd shock victory. Nothing to do with leagues imo. Put KK into 1 B, and they'd still win.

But the AI has been dominated by 1 team since 1999, then maybe Tipp/Cork pull off the odd shock victory. Nothing to do with leagues imo. Put KK into 1 B, and they'd still win.

Did you read savannahkat's comment? They don't turn their nose up at the league, they have won 8 NHL titles in the time they have won 10 AI's, they were so far ahead of the rest of Leinster most years that the league was the only form of competitive hurling they got from the last week of May until the middle of August.

You don't win an All-Ireland without proper preparation, part of Kilkenny's preparation has been effective use of the league. And the only way Kilkenny would end up in 1B is if they let their standards drop, in which case I would state it is most certainly not a given that they would still win.

It's stonger no doubt about that, KK have been well ahead of everyone else. Tipp may do better not meeting them in leagues. Limk/Cork/Clare all haven't done badly in recent years from 1b

You were clearly wrong regards fact you said regards clare were a division ib team winning all ireland.
    I thought I would help you out and share my knowledge and said I mention wexford 1996 only team do it as up to me no one seemed to mention it and I think this fact not my opinion clearly puts it out there div 1b will not win an all ireland.

My last word on the matter is 1996 the famine lower league teams winning all irelands continued and will indeed continue again this year as none lower tier will win an all ireland as gap is huge between divisions

Doing badly is clearly a perception of thought in what some perceive it to be imo where the harsh Reality is neither cork or limerick won an All-Ireland however a much more weaker cork on paper came closer to it in at least got to final something limerick failed to do and beat kilkenny something limerick and tipp simply fail to do time and time again.

Did you read savannahkat's comment? They don't turn their nose up at the league, they have won 8 NHL titles in the time they have won 10 AI's, they were so far ahead of the rest of Leinster most years that the league was the only form of competitive hurling they got from the last week of May until the middle of August.

You don't win an All-Ireland without proper preparation, part of Kilkenny's preparation has been effective use of the league. And the only way Kilkenny would end up in 1B is if they let their standards drop, in which case I would state it is most certainly not a given that they would still win.

My point is: KK were so far ahead of everyone else it didn't really matter what league teams were operating in. In fact, in a perverse way, it may have benefitted the likes of Tipp not meeting them so often. They were an exceptional team, coming to the end now. I'd expect the silverware to be spread out much more evenly from now on.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree here, I'm just fed up of 1B. The little things make all the difference when it comes to July, August, and playing 1B instead of 1A is one of those little things. Obviously we have widely differing opinions on just how much of a difference playing 1A and 1B makes, but I believe both our respective views are pretty clear at this stage :P

You were clearly wrong regards fact you said regards clare were a division ib team winning all ireland.
    I thought I would help you out and share my knowledge and said I mention wexford 1996 only team do it as up to me no one seemed to mention it and I think this fact not my opinion clearly puts it out there div 1b will not win an all ireland.

My last word on the matter is 1996 the famine lower league teams winning all irelands continued and will indeed continue again this year as none lower tier will win an all ireland as gap is huge between divisions

Doing badly is clearly a perception of thought in what some perceive it to be imo where the harsh Reality is neither cork or limerick won an All-Ireland however a much more weaker cork on paper came closer to it in at least got to final something limerick failed to do and beat kilkenny something limerick and tipp simply fail to do time and time again.

Incorrect, I never said they were a 1b team. I said they sprang up from div 1b, proving there is very little in it (aside from KK). It's like if Leeds sprang up now from the championship, and then went on to win the premiership. Now, the gulf is way too vast for that to happen, but not so in the hurling.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree here, I'm just fed up of 1B. The little things make all the difference when it comes to July, August, and playing 1B instead of 1A is one of those little things. Obviously we have widely differing opinions on just how much of a difference playing 1A and 1B makes, but I believe both our respective views are pretty clear at this stage :P

I too would like us to move into 1A, but I don't think our championship performances would necessarily be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think it is possible to do well from 1B but yeah, I'm sick of it. But we do need to use more of a squad in all different positions.

Incorrect, I never said they were a 1b team. I said they sprang up from div 1b, proving there is very little in it (aside from KK). It's like if Leeds sprang up now from the championship, and then went on to win the premiership. Now, the gulf is way too vast for that to happen, but not so in the hurling.
    They sprang up from division one b won allireland to prove limerick could do same this year am I correct, I think you will find I am if you read your post that's meaning it conveys from you imo just of course.

You can reword it all you like it's quite clear what you wrote
    They couldn't spring up from div ib when they we're a div one a team that year

Won all ireland as division one team
    So there's no argument from 2012 as debate here was division one b teams don't win all Ireland in current year
    And you won't need to remember this fact or even forget it next time as it will again be shown this year when only division one team wins the all ireland

I'll leave it there my point is clearly proven.

They sprang up from division one b won allireland to prove limerick could do same this year am I correct, I think you will find I am if you read your post that's meaning it conveys from you imo just of course.

You can reword it all you like it's quite clear what you wrote
    They couldn't spring up from div ib when they we're a div one a team that year

Won all ireland as division one team
    So there's no argument from 2012 as debate here was division one b teams don't win all Ireland in current year
    And you won't need to remember this fact or even forget it next time as it will again be shown this year when only division one team wins the all ireland

I'll leave it there my point is clearly proven.

Splitting hairs is what you are doing, and avoiding the issue. KK have been miles ahead of everyone. Clare have spent far more time in div 1b than the likes of Galway/Tipp, yet have won 1 more AI than Galway and same as Tipp since in recebt yrs. This 1 simple fact throws all your rubbish out the window.

• Advertisement

Splitting hairs is what you are doing, and avoiding the issue. KK have been miles ahead of everyone. Clare have spent far more time in div 1b than the likes of Galway/Tipp, yet have won 1 more AI than Galway and same as Tipp since 1999. This 1 simple fact throws all your rubbish out the window.
    I'm not splitting hairs at all at all.
    You made a realisation on what you though was fact which clearly wasn't and proved by me and another poster regards clare.

The limerick posters don't seem to agree at all with your acceptance of lower standards and I'm must admit is refreshing and good to see attuides here regards limerick hurling are changing and demanding better of their team which is good cause I always said limerick like cork football shouldn't accept second best and hurling talent is always in limerick.

If you want to back track now fair enough it's quite clear what you said.
    Anyhow I'm sorry you find what I say as rubbish that's your opinion I would think many find my posts knowledgeable and majority time not far off reality.

Must go back to the cork thread now, I simply saw an error and said I'd clarify it as like another poster did just after me.
    The whole principle of this debate was no division two team since 96 as I said won all ireland and that's the essence of truth no div two team done that and odds are clearly against division two teams winning all irelands in the current year,in a nutshell it means limerick will find it very difficult to do it this year.

I'm not splitting hairs at all at all.
    You made a realisation on what you though was fact which clearly wasn't and proved by me and another poster regards clare.

The limerick posters don't seem to agree at all with your acceptance of lower standards and I'm must admit is refreshing and good to see attuides here regards limerick hurling are changing and demanding better of their team which is good cause I always said limerick like cork football shouldn't accept second best and hurling talent is always in limerick.

If you want to back track now fair enough it's quite clear what you said.
    Anyhow I'm sorry you find what I say as rubbish that's your opinion I would think many find my posts knowledgeable and majority time not far off reality.

Must go back to the cork thread now, I simply saw an error and said I'd clarify it as like another poster did just after me.
    The whole principle of this debate was no division two team since 96 as I said won all ireland and that's the essence of truth no div two team done that and odds are clearly against division two teams winning all irelands in the current year,in a nutshell it means limerick will find it very difficult to do it this year.

Just before you.

You think you saw an error ;), but I must admit I do like a battler against all the odds.

Just before you.

You think you saw an error ;), but I must admit I do like a battler against all the odds.

In relation to it correlated with no team since 96 winning it
    You will find I mentioned it first 96
    Thank you for compliment though
    I appreciate it.

In relation to it correlated with no team since 96 winning it
    You will find I mentioned it first 96
    Thank you for compliment though
    I appreciate it.

The point was more about how the division hinders a team rather than winning an AI in the same year, hence I used the word 'spring up', it was a massive turnaround job from davy fitz, 1b didn't seem to stifle Clare the previous year. I don't think it has hindered us either, that's why I'm not bothered by the league too much.

Certainly I'll give you credit for the 1996 comment. You had Laois & Kerry in div 1, and wexford and Limk in div 2.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think it is possible to do well from 1B but yeah, I'm sick of it. But we do need to use more of a squad in all different positions.

Yeah I know, someone made a good point earlier regarding how Kilmallock winning Munster would force us to explore different options in the wing back positions, that would be a positive. Nothing against GO'M and PO'B who are two excellent options but the lack of proven alternative cost us at times this year, both of them weren't at their best at times.

It's no secret; we've a very good team that on it's day can match anyone but a squad that at best is average. That's partly why TJ can be slow to make a change.

I think our under 21 squad is very important in the next couple of years, anything that aids the transitioning of the 2013-14 minors into senior players must be given high priority; I wouldn't quite say we have underachieved at that level in the last three years as Clare would most likely still have mopped up the silverware but the performances have been unacceptable, we have routinely underperformed since the 2011 win and been defeated by disappointing margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

1b in a way would be fine if you weren't bothered about getting promoted and put out experimental teams but in reality we have been putting out strong teams and still not getting promoted.

Nothing beats experience and the facts are we had the winning of the game against Kilkenny and we didn't win it. As a county we tend to always go down in a blaze of glory when a game is there for us. The Tipp games the last two years showed we can kick on and win games that are there to be won but we just didn't have the belief against Kilkenny this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

The county is too hung up about playing in Division 1B. When we were in Division 1A between 2000-09 we never really excelled in it at all (bar 2006 when we got to the final but had one of our worst championhip beatings against Clare) and the interest wasnt really there for the most part.

Oddly we have performed to a reasonably good level in the last 4 championships from a lower league status than we did in the previous 4 operating from a higher league.Playing 1B is a bit of a disappointment but it's not the end of the world some would have it made out to be.

As it stands Limerick's setup at underage is impressive with lots of decent prospects looking like they could emerge over the next 2-3 years. Add in the fact that Ard Scoil Ris are flying it over the last 5 years, Doon reaching last years Harty final, and all 3 Limerick teams doing well in the club championship added to Na Piarsaigh's success last year.

Limerick hurling isnt perfect by any means but it's not doing too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah I know, someone made a good point earlier regarding how Kilmallock winning Munster would force us to explore different options in the wing back positions, that would be a positive. Nothing against GO'M and PO'B who are two excellent options but the lack of proven alternative cost us at times this year, both of them weren't at their best at times.

It's no secret; we've a very good team that on it's day can match anyone but a squad that at best is average. That's partly why TJ can be slow to make a change.

I think our under 21 squad is very important in the next couple of years, anything that aids the transitioning of the 2013-14 minors into senior players must be given high priority; I wouldn't quite say we have underachieved at that level in the last three years as Clare would most likely still have mopped up the silverware but the performances have been unacceptable, we have routinely underperformed since the 2011 win and been defeated by disappointing margins.

I'd agree on the whole Kilmallock thing, and trying out options. The only downside would be possibly trying Barry Hennessey in goal and Nicky Quaid outfield (although we could still do that with Aaron Murphy).

I think it would be a mistake to play Paudie at wing-back next season, he really isn't an intercounty wing-back, he is a midfielder. I know he did a job in 2013 and he's good on the ball but you need aerial dominance- Clare had a strong half-back line in the air in 2013, KK re-arranged theirs until they had in 2014, it's something that is essential.

Tom Ryan, Cathal Mc, Alan Dempsey, Nicky Quaid, Cathal King, maybe David Breen, Barry O'Connell, Barry Lynch, Dan Morrissey, possibly Diarmuid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, Richie English... we need to try some of these players at half-back (not all of them obviously, that would be ridiculous).

And up front, last year we only really tried Tom Ryan and David Reidy. Okay, Reidy got injured and Ryan did fairly well, but then we lost out on him in defence. William Hickey got a go but he was never really good enough. Players like Tommy Quaid, Adrian Breen, Tommy O'Brien have had chances in the forwards over the past couple of years, not sure any are really good enough. We do have a few top young players coming through, have faith in them like Clare did. Agree on the 21s.

Browney7 wrote: »
    1b in a way would be fine if you weren't bothered about getting promoted and put out experimental teams but in reality we have been putting out strong teams and still not getting promoted.

Nothing beats experience and the facts are we had the winning of the game against Kilkenny and we didn't win it. As a county we tend to always go down in a blaze of glory when a game is there for us. The Tipp games the last two years showed we can kick on and win games that are there to be won but we just didn't have the belief against Kilkenny this year.

Not sure we didn't have the belief, it's possible... we just didn't have the killer instinct to get goals + let in 2 sloppy ones. Goals are so important next year and we do need to adjust our setup slightly to maximise our chances of scoring them.

shockframe wrote: »
    The county is too hung up about playing in Division 1B. When we were in Division 1A between 2000-09 we never really excelled in it at all (bar 2006 when we got to the final but had one of our worst championhip beatings against Clare) and the interest wasnt really there for the most part.

Oddly we have performed to a reasonably good level in the last 4 championships from a lower league status than we did in the previous 4 operating from a higher league.Playing 1B is a bit of a disappointment but it's not the end of the world some would have it made out to be.

As it stands Limerick's setup at underage is impressive with lots of decent prospects looking like they could emerge over the next 2-3 years. Add in the fact that Ard Scoil Ris are flying it over the last 5 years, Doon reaching last years Harty final, and all 3 Limerick teams doing well in the club championship added to Na Piarsaigh's success last year.

I think playing in a 6-team league definitely increases the competitiveness of the league and makes it more valuable, as it's so easy to get relegated. And hurling has changed over the past few years. 1B is not the end of the world clearly, but it would benefit some of our young players to be playing higher quality opposition early in the year. Even close league games last year lacked intensity- the Offaly match was hugely disappointing considering we had a pretty strong team out.

We should be winning leagues on a national level, not fcuking around in the 2nd tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd agree on the whole Kilmallock thing, and trying out options. The only downside would be possibly trying Barry Hennessey in goal and Nicky Quaid outfield (although we could still do that with Aaron Murphy).

I think it would be a mistake to play Paudie at wing-back next season, he really isn't an intercounty wing-back, he is a midfielder. I know he did a job in 2013 and he's good on the ball but you need aerial dominance- Clare had a strong half-back line in the air in 2013, KK re-arranged theirs until they had in 2014, it's something that is essential.

Tom Ryan, Cathal Mc, Alan Dempsey, Nicky Quaid, Cathal King, maybe David Breen, Barry O'Connell, Barry Lynch, Dan Morrissey, possibly Diarmuid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, Richie English... we need to try some of these players at half-back (not all of them obviously, that would be ridiculous).

And up front, last year we only really tried Tom Ryan and David Reidy. Okay, Reidy got injured and Ryan did fairly well, but then we lost out on him in defence. William Hickey got a go but he was never really good enough. Players like Tommy Quaid, Adrian Breen, Tommy O'Brien have had chances in the forwards over the past couple of years, not sure any are really good enough. We do have a few top young players coming through, have faith in them like Clare did. Agree on the 21s.

Not sure we didn't have the belief, it's possible... we just didn't have the killer instinct to get goals + let in 2 sloppy ones. Goals are so important next year and we do need to adjust our setup slightly to maximise our chances of scoring them.

I think playing in a 6-team league definitely increases the competitiveness of the league and makes it more valuable, as it's so easy to get relegated. And hurling has changed over the past few years. 1B is not the end of the world clearly, but it would benefit some of our young players to be playing higher quality opposition early in the year. Even close league games last year lacked intensity- the Offaly match was hugely disappointing considering we had a pretty strong team out.

We should be winning leagues on a national level, not fcuking around in the 2nd tier.
    It's a hard one for the management, do you throw in a few untested players and risk one defeat the could scupper any promotion chances and the resultant criticism(like last year) or do you go all out and get to summer with a lack of options, everybody wants both, win promotion AND get new players in but they're not always compatible...personally I'd sooner get to the league quarter final with a few new players with promotion as a bonus if it happens, rather than get promotion but get to the championship with only 18-19 live options.
    The team doesn't need wholesale surgery just some tweaks here and there, I would be trying to get a new option for half back line, Tom Ryan or Dan Morrissey, and a new half forward, Cian Lynch, Daragh O' Donovan or David Reidy maybe and an option in the inside, Kevin O'brien or Tom Morrissey off the bench.
    Also time to give Alan Dempsey some game time to see if he can make a step up to a regular spot, not sure where his best position is though, seems to be either a corner back or midfielder? If we got 2 or 3 game breakers as starters or substitutes come championship then that would be a great league regardless of promotion.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »

Yeah, there are pros and cons for the both divisions.
    Advantage of 1B
    Isn't as intense, no pressure, come in under the radar, can peak for the championship, teams like galway seem to be spent by the time the championship comes around just trying to preserve their 1A status.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement